Review Highlights
The West Coast at its BEST!

We did a four-day base camp with whales tour in September 2020. I have been on many kayaking trips... read more

Reviewed September 23, 2020
John G
Vancouver, Canada
AMAZING - MAGICAL - POWERFUL Adventure

Myself and 5 friends just returned from an AMAZING 4-day base camp "Kayak with Whales" adventure... read more

Reviewed August 16, 2020

from US$131.46
from US$192.74
from US$79.53
More Info
All reviews base camp haida gwaii marine life sea lions kayaking trip plenty to eat vancouver island paddling porpoises ravens comfort bear laughter september
Selected filters
Reviewed July 26, 2019

We just returned from Kingfisher's Whales and Grizzlies adventure and it was amazing! From the orientation session provided the evening before the trip, to the final drop-off of our gear back in Port McNeill, everything was exceptional. Our guides, Cam, Megan and Zach were friendly, fun and professional. They shared their knowledge of the marine life that is so abundant in that area and their respect for the environment was heartwarming. They were also excellent chefs and all had a great sense of humour. We saw dolphins and porpoises, orcas and humpbacks, seals and sea lions, eagles, mink and many marine birds. The accommodation was very comfortable and the setting was beautiful. I don't think any of us wanted to go home - we would have been happy there for many more days of kayaking and exploring.

Date of experience: July 2019
1  Thank Cherylnghbr
Reviewed July 25, 2019

I recently experienced this kayaking adventure with nine pals. We unanimously agreed that the experience simply could not have been better. We were graced with good weather and abundant marine and wildlife viewings. From a full breach by a Humpback whale, to a clear sighting of an Orca's dorsal fin from the middle of Blackfish Sound, to seals, sea lions, the fattest bald eagles on earth, swimming deer, and countless species of marine creatures and plants, our cups were absolutely full. Our three guides, Cam, Zach, and Megan (ph.) were all incredibly knowledgeable and skilled. They quickly assessed our capabilities as kayakers and designed our kayaking adventures to perfectly suit us. The food was excellent, the permanent platform-based tents were super comfortable. Nothing was left to chance, and yet we were able to take advantage of opportunities as they presented. I can highly recommend this kayaking adventure - it will be a wilderness highlight for life!

Date of experience: July 2019
Reviewed June 23, 2019

I recently participated in the June 2019 whales and wilderness kayak expedition with Kingfisher in the Broughton Archipelago. I attended as a solo, It was a great group of people who all had a background of outdoor adventure experience.

Our guides Sam and Kyle knocked it out of the park with a perfect blend of kayak expedition know how, keeping things fun, wildlife, native and area knowledge and of course making great food. They accented each other wonderfully with Sam always keeping his head in the game and making great but tough decisions in terms of weather related itinerary changes that were educated, safe and sound. Kyle was always checking in with everyone and making sure all of our needs and wants were met with consideration and grace. The leave no trace camping ethics are important to me and for the first time I used the toilet unit which was a bit of luxe and felt responsible.

In terms of wildlife viewing I will bring binoculars in the future as I had a hard time viewing wildlife at the 100-200 metre distance. We saw Harbour Porpoises, Sea Lions, Seals, some smaller creatures near the shore and far in the distance blowing of Humpbacks.

From start to finish Kingfisher as a company was organized, professional and considerate to deal with, for example; asking each individual for food preferences. Having all the gear and kit saved me bringing everything myself.

Many thanks for a great trip.

Date of experience: June 2019
1  Thank kezsherwood
Reviewed October 24, 2018

Wonderfull Kayak trip around basecamp.
On our 1st day we already saw orcas and humpback whales from basecamp, sitting whit a beer watching the sun go down
We kayaked every day and met whales and sealions.
Last day they picked us early, and we went on a bear watching tour we saw grizzly and black bears
Sleeping in a tent where you can here the whales breath at night when the are passing,Wonderful
Great guides, they make the best breakfast ,lunch and diner!
Its a must do when you visit Vancouver island!

Date of experience: September 2018
1  Thank Ivar1970
KingfisherKayaking, Owner at Kingfisher Wilderness Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2019

Hi Ivar,

Thank you for joining us on a Whales and Grizzly Bears tour this past summer and taking the time to write a review and share some photos. I agree that waking in the night to hear the whales just off shore is pretty wonderful. I never get tired of it.

We hope you can join us again some time soon.

Regard,
Andrew Jones

Reviewed October 6, 2018

We nearly booked a tour with another company but so glad we went with Kingfisher. We also booked our accommodation (Black bear resort) and the separate grizzly tour through Kingfisher and more than happy with both of those. Kingfisher is very professional, extremely well organised and very respectful of the wildlife. We also felt very safe and comfortable at all times. My husband and I (both late 50s) are regular kayakers at home but this was a very special experience in a beautiful area. The wildlife is everywhere (seals, sea lions, dolphins, eagles and even a mink spotted one time) although whales are mostly some distance from the kayaks. That did not worry me. I loved just being in their territory and seeing and hearing them surface. The seals and sea lions are beautiful to watch in the water and they often followed us. We had a small humpback surface briefly and unexpectedly very close to us and I still cannot believe that happened. All the equipment was great including the camp setup. The kayaking is fairly leisurely but I was pleased at how much we did over the four days We were lucky to be in a wonderful group of people and have three terrific guides - Sabina, Cam and Tess thank you for all your hard work and great cooking. We had a month in Canada but this was definitely the highlight.

Date of experience: September 2018
1  Thank NewcastleKiwigirl

Hi NewcastleKiwigirl,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your trip with us and sharing some of your photos. I am glad you enjoyed your time so much. I will be sure to share your review with your guides, Tessa, Cam and Sabina.

We hope to see you on another adventure some time soon.

Regards,