US$101
US$79
  • Spa
Nancy Greene's Cahilty Hotel & Suites(Sun Peaks)(Great Value!)
US$87
US$74
Free cancellation until 03/08
US$105
US$95
  • Pool
Sun Peaks Lodge(Sun Peaks)(Great Value!)
US$85
  • Restaurant
Coast Sundance Lodge(Sun Peaks)(Great Value!)
US$84
  • Restaurant
Hearthstone Lodge(Sun Peaks)(Great Value!)
US$92
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Pinnacle Lodge(Sun Peaks)(Great Value!)
Groupon.com
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
Crystal Forest(Sun Peaks)
TripAdvisor
All reviewshostelstorageaccommodationbcamenitiesfridgelodge
Reviewed February 13, 2018

So, this review is for the newly built facility and NOT the previous hostel.

Let's start with "the good":
- new facilities
- we had a queen "pod" with a kitchenette and private bathroom/shower. Pretty much the same as a hotel room, but with a wall to separate the bedroom, which seemed to cut down on usable space.
- what was available, was in great condition

And now to "the bad":
- their pod/suite had no sitting area except for small kitchen table and 2 chairs.
- elevator not finished
- exposed electrical boxes in lobby
- false advertising on webiste, as there was no TV, no WiFi, no ski/wet room with ski storage and security, no common room, no games room, no coffee (and there is no nearby coffee shops)
- no notice or effort made to alleviate lack of amenities or notice of incomplete construction status

We booked in November for our 3 night stay Feb 9-12 (BC Family Day long weekend). We had absolutely no idea the place was still under construction, no mention on their website and there was no email prior to our stay provide an choice for us to either cancel or reschedule. This facility was clearly still under construction and I wondered if it was even allowed to open for paying guests in the current state. Only after you are in your room, browsing the room booklet that you see construction is scheduled to be complete in March. And then the booklet continues on describing about all the wonderful amenities that are not available. Very odd.

I've stayed at other places where there was major/minor construction or renovations on the property. But small or big, other places had the common courtesy/integrity to advise customers BEFORE their stay and also provide disclosure upon check-in. The check-in person told us nothing, except that the credit card machine didn't work inside the building so we had to go outside to register the damage deposit on my credit card. At check-in we noticed the elevator was unfinished, but the woman neglects to tell us there is no TV and limited Wi-Fi. We noticed the missing TV after we settled into the room and then also noticed the "no streaming" notice in our check-in envelope. When we went downstairs to ask if there was another room with a TV so we could watch downloaded movies, she said "no" because they were fully booked. We asked about the "common room" for us to watch the Olympics, and she said "it was ready but they were told by the (building?) inspector they couldn't use it." I guess it was only for staff and their friends as they seemed to all hang out there instead of the front desk.

As this was the opening weekend of the Olympics, watching the coverage on TV or streaming was something we had looked forward to after skiing. Not only were there no TVs, there was (very) limited WiFi. We could barely get enough signal to google the results, and I ended up using my own data to stream some of the highlights.

Later we noticed there was no coffee maker in our kitchenette (we had a toaster, kettle, microwave, fridge, 2 built-in counter-top elements, pots, pans, plates, cups, baking, cooking and eating utensils, etc. but no coffee maker. When we went to ask for a coffee maker, they told us they were only available in the full-kitchens, so there was no coffee (and no coffee shop within walking distance). Very odd as I have never stayed at a hotel, motel, lodge, cabin, yurt, B&B, rental or hostel where there was no coffee maker.

Then on the 2nd day after returning from skiing, we were told we had to remove our ski boots (snow board boots were ok) outside the building and walk to our room in our socks. When I said I didn't think that was reasonable, the 2 young men said "everyone else has agreed to do it" and said we could also leave our walking shoes/boots outside (-20 C) if we didn't want to walk in our socks. They told us the "policy" was to avoid damage to the nosing on the stairs. My boyfriend complied and I said I wasn't willing to get my ski socks dirty and wet and I wasn't going to leave my brand new $200 snow boots outside, unattended. The next morning, one of the 2 young men was standing outside of our door, and instead of the usually "good morning" that we receive everywhere else we stay, we got a "if you walk downstairs in those boots, I will have to fine you. You've already been told, so now I will have to fine you for damages". We got into a heated discussion about what damage was for the newly created fines and then the owner came charging down the hall yelling "get out, leave right now" (it seemed like he was hiding in the staircase, waiting for the young man to threaten us with a fine). After the owner calmed down, we asked about the fines and supposed damages, the owner then told us it wasn't the damage from ski boots that was the issue, but the "liability" of allowing guests to walk to their room in ski boots. This is the most absurd thing I have ever heard. Everywhere I've been, ski accommodations have guests walk to their rooms in their ski boots because there isn't room to store boots and shoes. Either this fellow has never stayed at a "ski in/ski out" or he was making up lies on the spot. After a 45 min discussion (45 min cutting into our ski day), he offered to take our walking boots and store them behind the front desk. Still no apologies only blame as he repeatedly stated we were the only guests "complaining", and that everyone else was fine with the rules and situation.

When I went to pick up our shoes later on, there were two people walking in the front door and the 2 reception guys said hello and watched them to walk through the lobby and up the stairs, right in full view of them with ski boots on! when I point out the ski boots, the fellow who tried to fine us earlier said "oh right" and chased them up the stairs and asked the young man to remove his ski boots. Because they were already up the stairs on the 2nd floor, I didn't see if they actually took off their boots in the stairway. Again, if this was a "rule" it should have been said when we checked in.

I admire entrepreneurship and smaller businesses, because often they seem to have better service. And businesses in the hospitality industry usually have an even higher level of service. I paid $500 for the 3 nights, and never received an apology or some compensation for his poor business decision. The building was not ready for bookings, their website listed all the amenities that were NOT available and not indication that they were still under construction. The owner and staff mostly blamed Telus, he said "there are more Telus guys drinking in the bar than are out working and Telus won't come to do their job". If you look at the photos I took, I think you would agree it appears to be a poorly managed project and issues with construction coordination rather than just Telus. Unless Telus also does framing, electrical, finishing carpentry, etc, I doubt they are the problem. It is the greed of the owner to open before they were ready, to charge full price for the accommodations when most of the amenities were not available, and then to not inform guests of the status so they can make alternate arrangements, and to blame the guests for his staff frustrations (because he hid while he told them to go make rules and fine guests). This could have been a very positive experience had the owner made the effort to be honest and "hospitable". His financial and scheduling problems are problems of his own creation. And having interactions with this man, I can guess why he may be having problems with his contractors - sketchy business decisions and lack of integrity.

All in all, I would not recommend this place for families or mature couples, maybe for my 20-30 year old children if they wanted to stay with their friends (which seemed to be the only guests we saw), but with the queen pods starting at $140 + tax per night and the suite at $300 + tax per night, I would highly recommend you stay elsewhere and get a better overall experience. I've stayed in hostels in other countries and they were all run by people who seemed to actually like people, and are kind, helpful and friendly -- but not at The Burfield, very disappointing. The lack of amenities we could have dealt with, but rude and unprofessional service was uncalled for and ruined our nice family day long weekend get away.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank enjoyingtime5
Reviewed May 23, 2017 via mobile

There is no staff at this hostel. The owners live there, but they aren't always in. When there was new guests, it was up to the current guests to show them there room and what to do. There is also next to no storage in the shared rooms (which is essential for ski accommodation really.)

That said, this is less than half the price of any other accommodation in the area. I had a really great time, and you get used to the hostel after a couple of days.

Just remember to label all the food you own, and don't wear shoes inside or the owners will get angry. Also it's not in the village. About a 20 minute walk. The burfield chair is right outside the hostel, however it's very long slow (about 25 mins). I preferred to get a shuttle bus.

While it definitely could be improved, I will probably stay here again, as it's cheap and basically ski in ski out. Would recommend if you can't afford anywhere else.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed March 9, 2017 via mobile

Stayed at the hostel for only 2 nights, THANKFULLY! Had been travelling as a group of 5 around BC/Alberta resorts for two weeks and this was our last stop. The hostel was unclean - kitchen full of dishes, laundry room a mess, and bathrooms disgusting! We arrived around 7pm (online says reception open till 10pm- so plenty of time) we stood at reception with a living room full of people watching us. We finally asked "is there a staff member here at the moment?" A woman standing at the kitchen right in front of us says "you could say I'm staff, what do you need?"
"Ahm, we just want to check in.." she seemed super unimpressed that we had interrupted her dinner preparations but came to show us around anyway. Says you get breakfast included, this consists of mixing up your own pancake mix and trying to scrape them off an unclean griddle which you aren't allowed to use butter or oil on. Also says you get "free wifi", turns out it only lets a certain number of people on (10 or so) at one time. You have to wait until 5pm when the system reboots and kicks everyone off and even then your chances are slim at getting online!
There was nowhere to dry our riding gear, and the equipment room was left unlocked and an absolute mess. No keys for your room either, too bad if you wanted to leave valuables while riding all day!
A bit of an inconvenience staying a 30 min walk from the village too, luckily we had a vehicle but would have sucked if you didn't. Doesn't state that on the website although there's lots of other false facts on there too.. like when it says a family room can sleep 5.. it can't. One of our group had to sleep in a twin room with some other guy who was living at the hostel. The room was a mess and didn't even have a light meanwhile there was an empty twin room right next door which we could have had!

I've literally stayed in better hostels in rural areas of Mexico!! Would NOT recommend to friends and will definitely not be returning.

Stayed: March 2017
1  Thank Lucy K
Reviewed March 1, 2017

Clean Friendly hostel, I had a private room which was plenty of size for me. Could sleep up to 4, but that would make space very limited for your belongings (though more than some big hostels). Like all hostels it depends on the group staying. But the rules were followed and respect given by all which makes a huge difference when staying in a hostel. The downside was the ski/board storeage, they were stored in a porch which isnt locked, but could have been & given the value of the equipment easy for someone to take. Warning bathroom facilities are in the basement which is a long way from top rooms when you need a late night toilet run.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed January 16, 2017 via mobile

Stayed here with 26 students and 2 adults. This is my 6th year coming here and every time it has been a great experience. Kitchen has everything you need, just clean up after yourselves. Beds are comfy and only a few minute drive from the base of Sunpeaks. Sadly this place is being torn down for condos so this was the last year. Thanks for the memories.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends