Open today: 8:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Review Highlights
A peaceful morning paddle away from home

. I went out with Zeah and one other guest April 2, 2024 on a sea lion tour. Zeah was very friendly... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Dean H
Great sunset paddle

The trip was excellent. Our leader was very organized, and very knowledgeable. She was also... read more

Reviewed October 18, 2023
rossupnorth
Courtenay, Canada

All reviews trip planning sea lion tour island tour double kayak bald eagles great information great introduction safety equipment gulf islands star fish comfort zone recommend this trip an excellent guide beautiful scenery an adventure laid back looking forward
Selected filters
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Jan is an excellent instructor. I did ocean training on wet exits and self-rescues (which I never thought I'd be able to do!) Never would have imagined I would squish into a wetsuit and dump myself into the ocean in April, but with Jan's encouragement I did it successfully with a HUGE smile on my face. What a great experience, and Jan's calm, confident and easy to follow teaching method allowed me to experience more training in a session that I ever could have imagined. Initially, I was just eager to try out my new kayak, tour, and learn some paddle strokes. With Jan's gentle prodding to first try falling out of the boat close to shore and on the next day the full wet exit, I accomplished the skills I needed to have to paddle this summer with groups on longer trips. Jan's email convinced me, "It is very important as you know, for safety and self confidence to be able to do the rescues without hesitation and practice in waves cause when you go over, it isn't because it is a calm day!". We did it, Jan, THANK YOU!.

Date of experience: April 2012
2  Thank Gale178
Reviewed April 10, 2012

We just completed Jan’s “Seamanship and Trip Planning” course and it was simply excellent! Although we have been sea kayaking for a number of years, we had never had any formal instruction with regards to weather, navigation, chart reading, and trip planning – and we needed it. Jan knows her stuff – big time! She can explain the math behind the calculations involved in figuring out tides and currents, the “Rule of Twelfths”, and keep you smiling…all at the same time. The resources Jan provided will continue to provide important information and guidance as we increase our seamanship skills. There’s no question that each and every one of us who attended her carefully prepared sessions will be safer paddlers, and better equipped to support others we may be with on the water. HIGHLY recommended to all who love this self-propelled activity. Thank you, Jan! Duncan and Joan.

Date of experience: March 2012
1  Thank Duncan B
Reviewed March 28, 2012

We found Adventuress through a pamphlet at a Vancouver Island B&B and contacted Jan by email. Her replies were prompt and friendly. Rates were great and directions to the put in place were clear. We were staying in Qualicum Beach and a shoirt drive (<30 min) towards Parksville. We did a half day paddle around an island. Mostly a very sheltered route and there was lots of opportunity for taking pictures. We followed the advice given regarding clothing and about bring our own lunch. Jan supplied us with good equipment - life vests, paddles, skirts and gave us clear safety instructions. She was a friendly guide for our tour and proivded us with lovely hot tea at lunch time. We were first out for the 2012 season and got brilliant sunny weather. We saw sea lions, seals, birds, and deer. This was an excellent outdoor adventure for us: two women, 50s, moderately fit with limited paddling experience.

Date of experience: March 2012
1  Thank Sydney S
Reviewed March 25, 2012

This is something i have dreamed about doing for years, and when the opportunity came up, we were blown away by how special the whole trip was. Jan and her colleague looked after us so well with their competence and ease of manner, and we felt very safe. Their knowledge and attention to detail was phenomenal and it was such an enjoyable trip all round. The scenery wasn't too shabby either!! We lucked out with weather and whales too.
I would definitely recommend Adventuress Sea Kayaking and hope to take another trip with them one day.

Date of experience: July 2011
Reviewed November 26, 2011

I have taken the Seamanship course and also been on a guided kayaking trip with Adventuress. Both events were extremely well organized and operated. The kayaking trip was very safely done and included assistance for anyone who needed it.

Date of experience: May 2011