Kayak Fundy - FreshAir Adventure
Open today: 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Review Highlights
Great experience!

The owners were very friendly. Brandon and Rachel were our guides and we felt that we were hanging... read more

Reviewed July 2, 2020
Char8765
Montreal, Canada
Great tour with friendly staff

We did the half day tour in the morning with our kids (ages 7 and 11). The paddle out was... read more

Reviewed August 12, 2019
turkskel
Newmarket, Canada
via mobile

All reviews half day tour great tour sticky buns sea kayak beautiful scenery fundy bay paddle tandem coast gear kelly tides kayakers
Selected filters
Reviewed September 10, 2017

My partner and I signed up with another couple for the half-day sea kayak tour. Our tour group consisted of 8 adults, and we were all able to stay together at a comfortable pace. We really lucked out with the weather - it was fairly warm out and the water was extremely calm and flat. Because of these factors, we were able to go quite far on our tour and had a fantastic time!

Our experienced tour guides were friendly and engaging. They made us feel safe, and were definitely prepared if something happened. Throughout the tour they provided information of the area, I especially liked the explanation of the tides. About half way through the tour we stopped at a beach and they provided a snack (also a bathroom break if needed).

My partner and I wore water shoes, but I think sandals would also work well. We both chose pants that would dry quickly, and had t-shirts on under the long sleeve paddling top they provided. We both felt comfortable throughout the tour. After, we changed into a set of dry clothes so we could tour Alma without feeling chilled/damp.

If you're looking for a day adventure while visiting Alma or Fundy National Park, I would recommend FreshAir!

Date of experience: September 2017
Gina M, Owner at Kayak Fundy - FreshAir Adventure, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2017

Thanks for the kind review! I am happy the conditions were so fair for your group. Autumn can be lovely on the bay!

Reviewed August 21, 2017 via mobile

Enjoyed some family time kayaking with some experienced guides. We felt safe and well prepared. The guides are funny and great with all ages. They have some good information as you are kayaking. The trek is not super easy but still very realistic. Our 11 year old daughter did awesome and was able to kayak no problem. The pace is good and the little snack and break on the beach is perfect. We loved our morning and loved watching the water that we kayaked in go down afterwards. Really cool! Thanks Ben and Vince!

Reviewed August 20, 2017

Neither the guides nor company are to blame for the weather in fact our guide was great. We just never got to go anywhere and needed a refund for the trip due to excessive winds.

The reason I'm not 100% happy with FreshAir was the website makes no mention of tandem kayaks being used and we were surprised by this particular thing on site. I personally won't contact a company that isn't transparent about costs and what equipment is needed and what is provided directly on their website. Their website needs a bit more work to be up to par. Our group wound up wasting the gas and time to make the trip after six weeks of planning. Understandably we are upset.

2  Thank BlackoutCat
Gina M, Owner at Kayak Fundy - FreshAir Adventure, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2017

Hi Blackcatout,

We are sorry that your tour had to be cancelled due to the high winds, and having spoken with our guide, I understand that it was very difficult water, and it was best for your group to return to base. Sometimes the winds can be too much, and they can grow fast. We did give the trip one of our highest ratings for difficulty (this rating is on our "What tour is right for me" page on our website), but that doesn't always prepare someone for the power of the wind on the Bay and how much physical effort that demands.
I am also sorry you were disappointed to use tandem kayaks, but their inherent stability - particularly in high winds - is an absolute must on the Bay. I don't believe any local companies provide single kayaks for guests for the same reason of stability and safety. This is certainly not meant to be a "hidden equipment aspect", rather, it is the norm in our area.
In any case, we are sorry your trip didn't work out. We always want our guests to have a great time, and it is a real disappointment to us that you have been disappointed.

Reviewed August 20, 2017 via mobile

Our family of 4 signed up for half day sea kayak tour. My daughter was 9 and I am small size wise. Wind was strong so me and my daughter can't catch up with the group. They ask us whole family to turn back and do the estuary instead. I insisted that my husband and son go ahead without us, but ask if they can take the camera with them. Tour guide refused and told us they have cameras on them and will take pictures for EVERYTHING. Son and husband came back with ZERO photo. No memory was preserved. We are still charged in full for sea kayaking.
This tour is not necessarily as easy and relaxing as other reviews stated. We kayak all the time in the river and lakes and still couldn't go beyond the corner. Was told younger kids in the front isn't easy for controlling the direction. Would appreciate if was told before we headed out. Camera thing was the last straw. Really upset. Son had fun though. Hence the 3 star.

Dear Amadeeh,
I am so sorry that your family did not get any photographs of your trip on the Bay, and having spoken with you, I know you were very disappointed. Normally, our guides can take photos (and subsequently, we post hundreds of photos to our facebook site) of trips, but there are occasions when they need to focus entirely on the paddlers on the water, or some considerations such as weather conditions command their attention and they cannot take photos. I don't know why they didn't take pictures on that day, and it is a very unfortunate coincidence that it should happen when you didn't get to pass the camera over to your husband and son.
We did speak to the entire group before setting out about the possibility that some paddlers might find the Bay to difficult to paddle with children (I personally told the group this before we provided dryland training), and I understand that my guide also spoke to you personally about it while she was assisting you at the very start of the paddling. We did try to make our safety policies clear from the outset.
I am happy your son had a good time, but I am sorry that you were disappointed, and I am very sorry that you did not get the photos you wanted.

Reviewed August 18, 2017

We did the half-day kayaking tour, and it was amazing. The guides were very knowledgeable and showed everyone how to use the equipment (took about 1 hour). They were very informative on the tour, and they were also very entertaining! The actual kayaking part of the tour took about 3 hours, with a stop for a snack at Herring Beach.
You get to see the Bay of Fundy from a different perspective this way. I highly recommend it!

Date of experience: August 2017
Gina M, Owner at Kayak Fundy - FreshAir Adventure, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2017

Thanks so much for the kind review Philip! It was great to have you with us. :)