“Wonderful place to stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hopewell Cape
Chimera Farms Bed and Breakfast
bournemouth UK
“Wonderful place to stay”
Reviewed 29 September 2011

What a great place! It's a beautiful house, set right beside the road so it's easy to find. And perfectly located for a visit to the Hopewell Rocks, Cape Enrage and the fishing village Alma.

It's kept spotlessly clean and has a peaceful feeling when you walk in. The beds are super comfortable. There are no TV's in the rooms, something I was very glad of as I was looking forward to some peace and quiet, which is exactly what I got. There's a TV in the lounge for those who want to watch it. And you don't share a bathroom with the hosts, as someone has previously stated here.

The delicious breakfast is huge - I only managed to finish it once.

The hosts, Marg and Ron, are an absolute delight; I'd go back there just to visit them again!

And although I wasn't staying in the Chalet, I did get to see inside it when it was vacant, and I was very impressed- it is completely private and has a hot tub on a huge deck with uninterupted views right down to the shore.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed 17 September 2011

My husband and I, along with our two boys, 12 and 14 spent two nights in the chalet, late August. It was very cosy and exceptionally clean! The hot tub is an awesome asset and was a hit with the kids, resulting a future addition to our home! Our host, Marg is a lovely and obviously hard working woman who serves a delicious breakfast in a charming, private dining room. Our other stays during this vacation were at Hilton's but we much preferred the Chimera Farms Chalet and wish we could have stayed longer! We highly recommend it! Thanks Marg!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank olakedz
Singhampton, Canada
Reviewed 8 July 2011

We loved this B&B so much last year that we extended our stay this year. We were able to explore the area and relax at night on the deck in the hot tub. Great value. The morning breakfast is very hearty. Thanks Marg we will see you again next year on our trip to Newfoundland a second time. Maybe this time you should come along....It was wonderful......

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Aldebron
Georgia
Reviewed 25 July 2010

My wife and I along with our two daughters (8 and 13) spent two nights here. We stayed in the two bedrooms in the main house. We stayed in several B&B's during our visit to the Atlantic Provinces and this was the one we liked the least. I suspect some people will like this place - I'll try to discuss what we liked and didn't like so you can decide if this is the place for you or not.

Our stay got off to a very bad start very quickly. Within minutes of arrival, I had somehow managed to repeatedly offend the host. I didn't even realize this until my wife mentioned that the host told her she would not stand for our behavior in her own house. As far as I can tell, my bad behavior consisted of wanting to double check the time of our sea kayak tour the next morning (rather than accept her word) and carrying up 2 suitcases up the stairs by myself. The host complained of having lots of rude guests this summer. We made peace afterwords and had some more pleasant conversations during our stay, but there was still some tension present.

This is a B&B where you live very closely with your hosts. Unlike some B&B's, there are not clearly defined parts of the house for the guests and hosts. The guests and hosts bedrooms are next to each other and everyone shared the same bathroom. While there was a sitting room for guests to watch TV or read, this was basically the host's living room where they watched TV. We felt awkward going there if we wanted to watch TV or read because that meant they could not watch their show then.

The whole house needs brighter light bulbs or more lights because it was dark everywhere. There was a sitting area at the top of the stairs to read, but once it got dark you could not read from the single light bulb on the stairs. The dim bulbs in the bedrooms were not conducive to reading. Breakfast was in a dining room with all the shades half closed and a single small lamp so this is not the place to go for a bright sunny breakfast.

The rooms were reasonably sized and furnished, but nothing special. The rooms were also clean. Everyone found the beds very hard and complained of being stiff in the morning. There is no AC nor are there any fans at all. The temperature was above average during our stay and it did not start to cool off until after midnight. Something as simple as a small fan would have made the room more comfortable. The house is close to a highway where there is a fair amount of traffic at highway speeds so consider earplugs if you are a light sleeper since the road noise was distracting. 3 of the 4 members in our group complained of poor sleeping during our visit. We had to swap alarm clocks because the alarm in our original clock did not work. The only TV is the host's are there is not a computer or wifi available.

The bathroom is very big and modern. The shower is nice and new, but a little tight. Towels are good quality. You need to supply your own shampoo.

Breakfast was tasty, but guests had to eat at 1 hour shifts. It was nice that she was flexible enough to serve breakfast at 7 am so we could do a kayak tour, but the next day we had to wait until 9 am since the chalet guests were eating at 8 am. If I can recall, we had eggs, rhubarb pie, ham, and toast for breakfast the first morning and eggs Benedict with cantaloupe, watermelon, honeydew, and grapes, and toast. The host makes a honey-like spread with clover that was very tasty. Serving sizes are fixed - my 8 year old and I got the same sized meal - and there are not any seconds.

One other thing to be aware of is that GoogleMaps, GPSs, and other software directions show this place being about 3.5 km to the north of Hopewell Rocks when it is actually about 8 km to the south of the park.

I would suggest reading the above to see if this is the right place for you. Our family did not feel comfortable here and slept poorly, but older couples may feel more comfortable than we did.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
10 Thank Zautman
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 May 2010

We stayed two nights (May 20 and 21). We were the only guests at the time so we had the second floor to oursleves. The room and bathroom were very neat and clean. Our hostess and host made us feel like family. Being the off season we were able to sit and talk for an hour or two and learn about the history of the area and the sites to visit. Breakfast : was great and the presentation of the breakfast was creative. We even got french toast with ice cream one morning. As it turns out this is host's favorite breakfast and it is only served on RARE occasions. We would recommend this B&B without reservation

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank M-F_Trackers
NJ
Reviewed 17 September 2009

My husband and I stayed at this wonderful B & B on our way to Prince Edward Island. With its convenient location near the Hopewell Rocks, we found it to be a great place to unwind for the night.. The home was built in 1848, and every inch of it has been renovated beautifully. The inn keeper Maggie is just great! She cooked us a wonderful organic gormet breakfast, including her own homemade honey and jam. She was extreemly knowledgeable and friendly. Its too bad we were just passing through, would have liked to stay a few more nights.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
7.1 km away
Florentine Manor
Florentine Manor
#1 of 2 in Harvey

Been to Chimera Farms Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!