“I can't believe that I was at the same Inn that is being reviewed so negatively”
Review of Saint Stephen Inn

Saint Stephen Inn
Saint Stephen Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in St. Stephen
Gilsum, New Hampshire
Reviewed 8 November 2010

Room was clean and not smelly.. Service was excellent and the gal at the front desk is a delight. We also stayed there last May 2010 and looked forward to staying there this year
We drive there from New Bruinswick when we get of the boat from DIgby and arrive there around 9 p.m. and will continue to do the same..

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank Bailey098

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Ontario
Reviewed 26 August 2010

On a road trip through Maine and around the Maritimes, we debated where to stay the night before heading to Saint John to take the ferry to Digby. We have stayed before at the Redclyffe Inn, not far away in Maine, where the motel is just OK but the restaurant is amazing. However with having the cross the border in the morning to catch the ferry, I was nervous we'd be too rushed so we decided to stay in St. Stephen. When we got there, the visitor centre informed us that the St. Stephen Inn was the only place in town with rooms left.

No surprise there! This place is awful. I phoned to check the rate and was told $79, then when we got there 3 minutes later I was charged $85. I know it's only a few dollars, but it's the principle and the lousy service we received that really irked me.

Then there was the room. We were in the lower building and when we pulled up, it looked like one of those extremely scary places where you're afraid of what you'll find when you open the door to your room. I made my husband go in first! He came out and said, "Yep, it's pretty much what you're expecting."

The room was smelly, dated, dirty... The walls were paper thin and we could hear the people in the next room as if they were right next to us. The internet worked then suddenly stopped working - the man at the front had no idea and said it must be my computer.

I would never stay here again even if it was the only option. Go to the Redclyffe Inn instead! (I wish I did.) The rooms are at least clean and the food is to die for!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Amethyst2421

Travellers are raving about these St. Stephen hotels

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 18 August 2009

We emailed prior to our booking and were promised a clean and comfortable room. When we got in at midnight we were put at the lower part of the motel and walked into a room where the moths literally flew from the curtains, sheets were dirty and it stunk of mold. I had a 5 yr old and 8 week old with me. We were given a rate of $74.99. I walked into the bathroom and it was full of mold and there was a spout but no shower head.
I went and complained and the lady told us her husband gave us the wrong room. We were then put in 104. It still stunk and the fridge wasnt plugged in (which we needed for baby bottles!) The hot water took a very long time to come in when wanting hot water for the tub or sink, there were dead moths in the drawers and the carpet, if you knelt on it felt damp. The lady changed our rate to $60/day. My husband had to complain about something and she made a deal with him that if we stayed for the 5 nites we booked, we would pay $50 a nite. (The only other hotel wanted $114+tax per nite - but has a pool, continental breakfast and park for kids to play and is right beside the grocery store). We stayed but when we checked out she backtracked and went back to $60 a nite, after bickering with her I gave up because I just wanted to get outta there.
Its VERY limited in that town and we were told stories of needles being found in the beds and that its so bad some truckers wont even stay there.
I would suggest to stay in St Andrews, although I talked to the keeper at the Blair House B&B and he was extremely helpful and extremely friendly..but I didint stay there so I dont know what its like. We also did a drive out to St Johns and there are many motels along the route right on the water.
St Stephens Inn has to be the dirtiest motel I have ever stayed in and they really dont seem to have any set rates as the front desk has a posting that says something to the effect of "what rate you accept at check in is final".
I did notice that the mattresses looked new, but the sheets, carpet, bedding etc. leaves something to be desired.
The front desk smells as do the two rooms that I experienced.
I think that the lady I dealt with sincerely tried her best, but I also think they know that this motel is not up to par. I am surprised that health and safety have not come in there to inspect.
The TVs don't really work properly either.
We spent as much time as we could outside of the rooms and kept busy but once home, made a point of dissinfecting everything. The smells are horrible.
The location is good as you can literally walk across the bridge to Maine. Make sure to make a stop into the New Brunswick Tourism and Information Centre, they are incredibly helpful.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank armeegurl
nova scotia
Reviewed 14 April 2008

We have just returned from staying one night at the St. Stephen Inn.It will be the last one for us. The room was small and dingy. The bathroom door did not close properly, the wood had swollen on the door, from dampness I think!!!The steel legs of the bathroom sink were rusty. The towel bar fell apart when putting the towel on it. The towels were more like cotton rags, they couldn't get any thinner!The shower did not work properly, I had to stand right underneath the head to get any water from it. The entrance door to the room had weather stripping hanging off , which made the door hard to close. In all, the place was very "broken down" looking and we would definitely never go there again!!!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank ceilidsmom
Lunenburg, Canada
Reviewed 21 April 2006

I am not the typical complainer. After a long and tireing trip returning from the US, we decided to stay at the St Stephen Inn, St Stephen, New Brunswick...big mistake! There was no hot running water for baths, showers etc, would have had to share a rubber plug between the tub and sink (didn't matter anyway as the sink wouldn't drain) The room was not clean and smelled of mould. I would not recommend staying here even as a last option..overnight in your car would be much better. This place should be shut down.

14 Thank SouthShoreBeansGuy
1.0 km away
The Coach House
The Coach House
#4 of 7 in St. Stephen

Been to Saint Stephen Inn? Share your experiences!