See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed July 9, 2016

I rented the A-frame cottage for 2 weeks. The time flew by. We walked the trails on the site and the host left a map of a good assortment of trails nearby for extra enjoyment. As soon as I got out of the car, up the steps to the deck, I felt the calm of the trees. The cabin is very homey and rustic in a sweet way. Close to the Cabot Trail and other activities of Cape Breton. Good running water and shower, good kitchen, nice rocker for reading in the evenings. There's a radio and CD player there too. I went to get away from people for a while and to decompress...that's exactly what I got and when I met my sister in 2 weeks, I was ready for the company. Great place if looking for the minimalistic lifestyle for awhile.

Room tip: The A-frame is small...if renting a car, get a SUV or 4wheel drive as the road is pretty straight-up and rough gravel
Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed January 12, 2016

Spent 8 nights in the cozy "A" cabin down its own lovely, twisty drive and loved every minute of my stay. The cabin is perfectly designed with big windows letting in the light and view that stretches forever over the forests to the north. The porch a perfect place for a glass of wine and pondering...the little loft and comfortable mattress...I slept great listening to the rain or watching the sunrise clouds light up. Terry and Linda were wonderful hosts and even let me pick my dinner out of their extensive garden. I loved the hiking trails by the little waterfall and through the moss covered woods littered with mushrooms. The cabin had everything I needed and became a special home away from home. A heavenly place for a private retreat or romantic get away. I can't wait to go back.

Date of stay: September 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed January 10, 2016

More than we could have hoped - beautiful log cabin - we stayed at the Spruce Cabin, beautiful view, great trails - we went snowshoeing. Excellent hosts - comfortable place, loved it! Excellent romantic weekend! Quiet, pristine and beautifully crafted log cabins - especially the Spruce cabin.

Only recommendations? You need an SUV or some type of 4 wheel drive to get up to Big Hill in the winter-time.

Room tip: The Spruce Cabin is the best one for couples!
Date of stay: January 2016
1  Thank Connie W
Reviewed December 29, 2015

We were so happy to find a nice quite place to stay for a week after having some terrible weeks.
The way to the Retreat is very long and the road is filled with potholes. Good we had an SUV. The Retreat didn't looked like the pictures, but first I thought, well its October. The host was not super friendly, he just told us to go to the cabin, keys are in the cabin.
First impression (outside) was ok. Inside? Oh dear! Even our dog was not really willing to go inside. The floor was sticky and dirty, the kitchen utensils were dirty, the Bathroom was not really clean. The shower curtain was super mouldy - but we got a new one after we complained. The stove was super dirty, also the oven. The fridge (not an old one) was dirty and the rubber was mouldy too.
Unfortunately, I didn't pay attention, when I booked the place, there are only futon sofas and plain chairs. Not really comfy. The bed was the worst - the mattress was the oldest mattress I have ever seen. You could feel every coil and I could not sleep on the mattress! And I am not picky!
What really upset me was the fact that the fire extinguisher was not inspected and the smoke alarm was disabled - and we had a woodstove. After mentioned that to the host, he did not bother checking that. Wow.
Also, the host asked us to have the nails cut from our dog because of the softwood floor - so we did. We went extra to a groomer and spend extra money on that. The floor was hardwood and was already very scratched. Really?
So we left after two awful nights and after complaining to the tourist information, we got our money back. At least.

Date of stay: October 2015
Reviewed September 22, 2014

We stayed at the Spruce Cottage for 5 days with our little Silky/Maltese dog, and loved every minute. So peaceful from all the hustle and bustle of every day life. I actually had tears in my eyes when we left. We will definitely be back to this beautiful place next year for at least 2 weeks. Would highly recommend this place to anyone who just wants to get away from it all. Thanks to Terry, Linda and helping hand Richard for making this vacation truly enjoyable!!

Date of stay: September 2014