All reviews library room john pino east room verandah suite bay room other guests thanks john cape breton cabot trail hot tub great stories local history eggs benedict place to stay alexander graham bell story telling baddeck bay
Reviewed September 17, 2018 via mobile

Neat little location. The room was quite tidy, and the place was overall well taken care of, however the room we stayed in had the tiniest shower olive ever seen, I'm about 6 feet tall, medium build, and I had a tough time maneuvering in the shower.
Aside from the shower issue, everything else was to our liking. The breakfast had a nice variety of breads, fruits, eggs and bacon. The owner is quite knowledgeable about the area, he does come across a little crass though.
The best thing about the place is the view, it's just unbeatable to sit on the deck and watch the ocean at sunset.

Reviewed September 14, 2018

Not sure how to summarize Broadwater. As someone who has stayed in dozens of B&B's I try to compare each one to the best I've stayed in.

Here are the pluses. It was clean, quiet and nice view from the room and porch. The Inn has a pleasant exterior appearance. It's only a short drive to Baddeck from the Inn, maybe two to three minute drive. It's not walkable to town but is a short drive. It's at one end of the Cabot Trail so that's convenient and the owner gave us a great suggestion for a hike that's not listed on the trail.

The negatives, the room smelled musty. The furnishings are spartan, somewhat like a two star motel. The bathroom has a pedestal l sink with no place to put a lady's curling/flat iron or toiletries. A major flaw is there is no lighting at all around the sink mirror. This might work for a man combing his hair or shaving but was very unsatisfactory for a woman putting on makeup or styling her hair. Plus, in the bedroom the only other mirror is a small square on an antique piece of furniture which is very difficult to use. There is no electrical outlets around this piece of furniture.

The only light in the bathroom is an overhead light which seems to be hooked up to the bathroom exhaust fan so when the light is turned on the fan also comes on and it's very loud like a jet engine. This was very annoying especially when someone gets up at night when someone else is sleeping.

The breakfasts were not up to par with five star B&B's. The main dish seemed to be prepared before hand. The seating time was 8 am (no exceptions) and even though we were there on time the poached eggs were already out and were not warm. The second morning the quiche crust was very soggy as if it had been prepared the night before and then stuck in the microwave. After only a half hour the male server began removing juice etc.

The inn just seemed to be lacking to have received some of the ratings it has received. It seems to need the touch of a woman in many areas. We would not stay here again.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2018 via mobile

I booked this room from booking.com and it was advertised as a lake view room. When I checked in, I got the ‘library’ room and there is no view. The library room is a dark room with an old house smell. According to the owner, he’s not able to put proper descriptions in booking.com and I should be happy as I got the largest room with air conditioning.

Reviewed August 27, 2018 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at Broadwater during our tour of Cape Breton. We needed somewhere to stay as we had nothing planned. After booking it online we showed up and John, our host and owner, greeted us while on his riding mower. With his friendly East coast spirit he showed us to our room and filled us in on local things to do. The view across the water was beautiful as well. The next morning he had nice breakfast ready and a room filled with lovely people all on vacation (this is a B & B). After some good conversation and a full stomach John guided to some spots to visit that not many tourists know about. We intend on getting back to Cape Breton and will make sure to stay at the Broadwater. If you’re in Baddeck or anywhere in the area I highly recommend the Broadwater!

Date of stay: July 2018
Reviewed August 20, 2018

We recently spent five nights in Cottage #1 of the Broadwater Inn. This studio cottage was beautiful with an amazing view of the water and surrounding woods. We loved our little cottage; it had a fully outfitted kitchen where we could prepare our own breakfast before setting out to explore each day. The inn itself is charming and historic with a friendly and helpful host and staff. Thank you Broadwater Inn!

Date of stay: August 2018