“March Break Hockey”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Western Shore
Barrington, Canada
“March Break Hockey”
Reviewed 16 March 2012

So... our Atom hockey team needed a place to stay for a tournament. EVERYTHING was booked so we went with a hotel 20 minutes away, in Oak Island. We went with 10 9-10 year olds. I was SO impressed with this hotel and the staff. They were running a March Break promotion for kids all week, and what a relief it was as parents to have so much available to kids during their stay. In one conference room it was "movie night" all day and night - movies running on a projector with free popcorn for the kids. In another it was a games room, with a wii on one big screen and an xbox on another for kids to play with. At night there was a dj for a kids dance with free hot chocolate and face painting for the kids. In the dining room, whenever a kid was with an adult they ate for free. Two parents took 8 kids to the breakfast buffet and it was free for all the kids. Each night at 8pm the kids had fresh cookies delivered to their room. It was SO refreshing to have a hotel that was so accepting of the kids being there. I am so thankful that after a fun day of hockey the kids could come back to the hotel and basically be busy until bed time. We have stayed in hotels in the past where after 8pm kids even talking in hallways has led to getting into trouble. It was not the case here seeing as it was March Break. As we checked out with the hockey team each player said "see you next year" and I promise you.... they will!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Charlottetown, Canada
Reviewed 1 March 2012

My husband and I stayed overnight. The rooms were tired and dirty, wallpaper peeling off, mould in bathrooms, toilet unstable to sit on. Went to the restaurant, the service was friendly enough, but waited over an hour for our food to be served, ended up walking out before dessert, since we were then over 2 hours waiting! A shame really, since the hotel is in a beautiful location. We won't be back.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank Bryan and Jacqu... D

Travellers are raving about these Western Shore hotels

Sydney, Canada
Reviewed 11 February 2012

Originally, I wasn't impressed with this resort. The spa itself was great and all the staff are quite friendly. However, in an overall experience, I am not impressed.

My fiancee and I did the romantic package for Valentines day. The package included a discount at dinner and breakfast and what they called a "special gift". For the price that we were paying I was expecting something well planned out for a gift. Instead I came to our room with flowers thrown on the bed in plastic. There obviously was no thought when it came to arrangement, in fact they did not even give us a vase to display them. Maybe I have high expectations but if they are advertising romance then maybe they could add to the atmosphere by thinking of display purposes (a vase full of flowers, rose petals etc). I feel that through the staff is friendly enough and the room is adequate, this package did not provide any romance as suggested.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean views
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Ashley B
Dartmouth, Canada
Reviewed 4 February 2012

We went as a group on a Murder Mystery week-end. the staff, acting group & other guests made this a fantastic week-end. we will be planning another one. The food, friends & fun were great. Even couples that went by themselves, seem to join in make friends & have fun. We made some friends, & look forward to making more. What a wonderful break in mid winter. We were non stop from beginning to end.

Room Tip: Our rooms were great we chose the ocean view (beautiful)
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Dartmouth, Canada
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We bought a deal for a 2 night stay at the Atlantic Oak Island and used it this past weekend. We typically go to downtown Halifax for a weekend getaway in the winter but this year we decided to “go south”.

We had a land view room in the main lodge. The room was cozy and clean, well maintained. There was a queen sized bed, two chairs, table, desk with chair, TV, small fridge and coffee maker. The beds are quite soft, feels like you’re going to sink right into the middle and disappear forever. I prefer a firmer mattress but to each their own. Could hear everything out in the hallway but didn't hear much from adjacent rooms.

We made use of the pool. Nice enough size with a small, inset kiddies pool as well as a hot tub. Room was well heated and water not too cold. There is a nicely equipped gym off the pool area. I flipped a lounger around to take in the fantastic view and except for the brown grass and lack of palm trees I could almost convince myself I was somewhere tropical.

There are two options for dining, the Vista Dining Room Breakfst, lunch & dinner) or the Fireside Lounge offers lighter fare from 2:00 – 10:00p.m. We had our dinner in the Fireside lounge as the dining room did not offer even one red meat dish for my carnivore husband. It was very tasty fare.

We had our after dinner coffees in front of the huge fireplace which is very cozy. On weekends in the winter they have live entertainment which was pretty good.

I would certainly go back, maybe during warmer weather and perhaps give one of their chalets a try. It’s good to have such a nice spot close to home.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Cape Breton
Reviewed 20 November 2011

I stayed two days at the resort on business. The water views from inside the public areas and the several decks on the property are outstanding. You can see several nearby islands, There are large windows throughout so you are constantly marveling at the beautiful natural surroundings - it creates a very calm, welcoming atmosphere. This is a full service resort with many amenities. What stood out for me when I stayed for a two day conference was the attention of the staff to every detail, the wonderful food, and the cleanliness of the resort. If I were to make a suggestion it would be to update some of the rooms and the decor in the hallways. Great value and definitely recommended, for all that you can experience at the Atlantica Oak Island Resort.Also took a drive to nearby Mahone Bay - lots of fun looking at and shopping at all the unique shops. I'd love to go again, this time for pleasure instead of business,

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank lpaulett
Washington
Reviewed 9 October 2011

This is a nice, slightly remote, place to spend the night or a short vacation. It's on the water and is a nice place to walk the beach. There is also a nice pool. The dining was great. They have indoor and outdoor restaurants. I had the best seafood chowder I have ever tasted. My wife is a burger head, so she went for the sliders, not one of my favorite things, but she said they were the best yet, so I owed myself a taste and have to agree. A friend who ate with us had the mussels in Sambuca sauce. I ain't too proud to beg so I asked for a taste and was delighted. All in all, ikt was memorable.

Room Tip: Go for a sea view.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Oceanstone Resort
#1 of 2 in Indian Harbour
17.3 km away
Atlantic View Motel & Cottages

Been to Atlantica Oak Island Resort & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!