Review Highlights
The only way to go from Inuvik to Tuk and back

Reviewed September 20, 2018
Tom P
Taber, Canada
via mobile
Breath taking

Reviewed August 23, 2018
stellamartin1981
Whitehorse, Canada

All reviews boat ride north tours arctic ocean the river flight tour his team local guide local food worth every penny reindeer herd flew low short walk an incredible experience open ocean fishing camp northern lights great tour
Reviewed September 20, 2018 via mobile

We booked the Tuktoyaktuk Delta river cruise and were more than pleased with the whole experience. Kylik provides a great tour that is very informative and gives a perspective of McKenzie River Delta that could never be experienced by taking the road. The boat ride was very interesting and the flight back let’s you see the immensity of the delta. If you really want to say you drove the Inuvik to Tuk highway, do as we did and drive 5-10 km out and realize the tour was the best way to go. Our whole experience with Tundra North from booking to final shuttle ride was great. Kylic can make accomadations and communicates any changes to tour promptly. This tour is a must do!

Reviewed August 23, 2018

We flew up to Tuk in a Cessna 207, with an excellent young Brazilian pilot, Joah. In Tuk we were handed over to a very well spoken and experienced local guide named John. We saw all the sights, climbed a pingo, ate Muktuk that his wife had carefully prepared, waded into the Arctic Ocean, saw the last post (or first) for the Trans Canada Trail and the sod house. The scenery of fall colours, the expanse of the MacKenzie Delta........all a very memorable experience. Weather can limit the traveler If the ceiling had not been high enough, we would have driven to Tuk which could make for a very long day. Also bring warm clothing. For a family this would be too expensive and for physically impaired, getting in and out of a small plane is tricky.

Reviewed August 18, 2018

A Small Poem of Gratitude:
The Northwest Territory,
as told in many a story.
We made a visit to a sea,
in a land so far from me.
Instead of the Dempster Highway,
we flew above the scenic byway.
By being flexible with our dates,
we met much better fates.
With Tundra North Tours,
a boat to the Arctic shores.
Lovely Inuit company and guides,
would be giving us our rides.
From Inuvik to "Tuk",
our day would be filled with luck.

Our party of two adults really enjoyed the boat ride down the Mackenzie River, tour of Tuktoyaktuk, and the drive back south to Inuvik on the recently completed road. The boat was covered and the drizzles and wind didn't affect our enjoyment of the day at all. It was just a pleasure to cruise down the braiding delta seeing various shorelines filled with driftwood or exposed banks of the Arctic tundra. I think we may have also been the only boat out that day, since I don't remember seeing anyone else out on the water, it was completely away from the crowds and dust of the road. We made a few stops, including a historical Inuit whaling station. They offered local delicacies to try, freshly foraged blueberries, as well as sandwiches for lunch. As we made our way to the Arctic Ocean from Inuvik we were able to see many pingos come into view dotting the landscape. Once we got to Tyktoyaktuk, we received a tour of the small town and were driven back down to Inuvik, the drive through the tundra was absolutely stunning, and I was so pleased we were able to stop on the drive south to pick a bag full of delicious cloud berries.

Through the whole tour we had 3 different wonderful knowledgeable local guides. They give us the inside scoop on life today in Inuvik and Tuktoyaktuk as well as how their ancestors lived on the landscape. When we venture back to the far north to see the northern lights, we will 100% return to Inuvik to camp in an igloo with Tundra North Tours.

Reviewed August 9, 2018

Really great experience. Super people. Great hotel and flights - loved the cruise back along the Mackenzie Delta - very informed guides. Just great.

Reviewed August 2, 2018

Flight with a good view of the huge Mackenzie River Delta. City tour with insider Information about life in Tuktoyaktuk. Return by boat on the Mackenzie River to Inuvik was very exceptional.

Reviewed August 2, 2018

During our road trip to Tuk we met Noah from Tundra North while he was taking two guests sightseeing; he was very engaging and encouraged us to check in with their office in Inuvik the next day to see what they could customize for my partner and I. We met Kylik the next morning and he conjured up a trip for us and another couple from Switzerland in no time at all. We did a boating excursion that took us right up to the ocean. With several stops on route we got to see the changes in landscape, Pingos, we sampled a variety of fish, whale and homemade donuts (oh yeah!). Kylik was an awesome host -- told us a broad range of stories and answered our questions diligently. I can certainly recommend this firm and am planning to visit the region again in the winter -- to experience sleeping in an igloo, see northern lights, and maybe see the herd of reindeer that were introduced to the area a number of years ago. This area is just opening up to tourism, so between climate change issues and many people probably planning to visit in the future, go soon!

Reviewed July 10, 2018 via mobile

Tundra North staff were great. All arrangements from flights to/from Whitehorse-Inuvik were arranged, as were accommodations at Mackenzie Hotel (very nice), and flight tour of Tuk.

Kylik picked me up at the airport and immediately gave me a tour of Inuvik so I had intel on where to eat/shop.

Staffer called right after I got to my room with an extra: Come immediately to the “igloo church” for an inside tour, which was great.

The pilot for the trip to Tuk, Joao, was awesome. He warned of bumpy skies and yet provided a very smooth ride and made sure we saw landmarks from the air. He also joined the tour in Tuk and took pictures for me (I was solo, and selfies go only so far, especially at the point of swimming in the Arctic Ocean—bucket list item). As a full participant in the tour, Joao definitely added to the Tuk experience. I suspect getting Joao as the pilot was purely serendipity, but worth commending, just the same.

The tour guide at Tuk, John, lamented the fact that the new road had allowed tourists to descend on the village in such numbers that all fish and muktuk tasting samples were depleted. But, as we drove around, we came upon a fresh beluga whale harvest. I got to eat fresh, raw blubber! So awesome. The villagers were super welcoming.

Tundra North did a great job for me. I wish I could’ve spent more time talking to Kylik about his business—we really seemed to hit it off. He’s a sharp guy—visionary and professional.

Reviewed July 3, 2018 via mobile

The tour was great. I felt that it was very authentic, and we were given a very honest experience of the area.

Reviewed June 22, 2018 via mobile

We flew to Ivavik and our pilot gave us a tour of the town. Good service and had a blast on the flight back. Great thanks

Reviewed June 4, 2018

We were in Inuvik on business for a few days and had a free afternoon that opened up at the last minute. Kylik worked with us to customize a boat trip along the Mackenzie Delta that met our timeframes and budgets. We were the first tour of the season after the ice had broken up, and we were impressed by how well prepared the team was to take us out. Our guide, Gerry, was extremely knowledgeable about the area and its history, and responsive to our requests to "step on some ice" and search for interesting wildlife. The scenery was gorgeous, the weather was perfect, and homemade bannock was a lovely extra! Thank you Tundra North, we'll come back!