“Best food I have eaten in Ajax”

Maimana Naan & Kabab Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 245 Restaurants in Ajax
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Afghani
Reviewed April 3, 2015

I've tried nearly everything they offer and it has all been incredible. You just can't go wrong by eating there! The Tandoori Chicken is probably my favourite thing on the menu as it is seriously the most juicy chicken I have ever had, full of flavour too. The lamb is also fantastic and cooked to perfection. On top of the great food the owners are great too, always very friendly and always keen on making sure you enjoyed your experience at their restaurant. What brings this place over the top however is how fresh everything is. There is no food sitting around waiting to be served, it is all made fresh to order. Would recommend this place to anyone for sure.

2  Thank Carlos R

Reviewed March 17, 2015

I eat here all the time, since first noticing it, shortly after it opened. I'm happy to drive all the way to Ajax to eat at Maimana.

It's a fast food type restaurant in a plaza.

Admittedly, I mostly come for the salad. The ingredients are super-fresh and the dressing is tangy, delicious, and just right. The salad also has walnuts, making more of a complete meal than most salads on offer at typical restaurants. But I also like the vegetable sambosas with both sauces.

The ferni is good, too. I've had ferni from other places, and I like this one best.

My husband has tried much of the menu, and always enjoys his various dishes.

The staff are terrific, with the owner being one of the reasons we liked the place so much right from our very first visit.

Great little place. Try it! :)

1  Thank Jody A
Reviewed March 11, 2015

Do not let the one snobby review keep you from this excellent restaurant!

I have frequented this restaurant since it was opened by the two brothers around two years ago. If you like middle eastern food and even if you do not, this is a place to try some succulent dishes.

It is a take out and sit in. Unbelievable value and they take pride in what they do.

If your a vegetarian you should try out their eggplant, even the meat-eaters will love it!

Their tandoori chicken is great either as a dish or a wrap. Then also offer lamb and other dishes.

They also have a wonderful slant on a burger, middle eastern style.

Any of their appetizers will make you crave more such as their sambosa (almost like a samosa)!

Their Naan is very good, both plain or garlic. If your a true foodie you will understand that naan is made different ways and some are thick and some are thin. Their naan is made fresh in the oven and always fresh and delicious.

My biggest complaint is they give me too much food in their main meals because of the rice, meat, naan and wonderful salad. I challenge anyone to find a finer meal for the price.

If your adventurous you will try the drink, Doogh from middle east, also known as Ayran in Turkey and Lassi from India.

If you claim to be a true food connoisseur you will know that this is a drink made of yogourt and mint, (nothing remotely close to soda pop). It is salty as it is yogourt and usually not served chilled. Not the favourite of any child unless you grew up with it.

2  Thank GerBet C
Reviewed March 3, 2015 via mobile

Stopped in to try the #2 ranked restaurant in Ajax. Important to note ... This place is not a restaurant. It's fast food style with tables. You place your order at the counter and they call you up when it's done. The food was very average. The naan was more like thick bread. The rice was bland and the meat was just okay. We tried the beef kabob, the tandoori chicken and the steak. Both beef dishes lacked seasoning. My son ordered the yogurt and mint "soda". The girl behind the counter told us it was a little salty. She should have said it is extremely salty, room temperature and completely disgusting. There was nothing "soda" about it. I returned it to the counter to ask if they had ice and they did not. I told her it was warm and asked why it wasn't refrigerated. She said it was, yet the container was sitting on the counter next to the cash register. I told her it was not drinkable. She took the glass and offered nothing to replace it. This is not customer service.

I do not recommend and will not return.

2  Thank FoodSnob1
Reviewed March 3, 2015

We went to Ajax so we could go to the Country Cheese Company in Ajax, and decided to have lunch at Maimana, as it's in the same plaza.
I'm a huge fan of Middle Eastern food, but am not at all familiar with Afghan food. We ordered too much, as usual, so we could try different things - you order at the counter, and the young woman with whom we placed our order was helpful, explaining what particular dishes were, and checking with the kitchen when she didn't know (babe wanted to know what cut of meat the beef kebab was - top sirloin).
We ordered two beef sambosas and a large mantoo. Sadly they were still making the beef sambosas, so we ordered veg instead. They were okay; a little too much pastry and not enough filling for me, although they were pleasant enough. I expect I'd like the beef better. The mantoo were quite good - very light steamed dumplings filled with minced beef, onions, bit of spice, and I think pine nuts, and topped with a light yogurt sauce and bit of dried mint. Quite nice, and totally unexpected; the dumpling skin tastes and feels like a hot-water dough from China, almost. I'd order those again, although we certainly didn't need a large order.
Because then we each had a kebab meal, and one of those will fill anybody up. I had the tandoori chicken, and babe had the beef tikka. Each comes with a very nice, although plain, green salad with a nice vinaigrette, and a generous portion of really, really good basmati rice (or fries, but we opted for rice). My chicken was excellent, great flavour and a little heat, beautifully cooked, good portion. Babe's beef was also excellent; initially he said he thought it could use some more seasoning, but he changed his mind afterwards, said more spice would have been overkill. There are also two hot sauces provided, a green yogurt-based one, and a tomato/pepper one, both very good and not overly hot.
Best of all was the naan. Fresh and warm, topped with sesame seeds, slightly thicker than Indian naan and also slightly more leavened - exceptionally good bread.
The flavours are much, much more subtle than Lebanese or Pakistani or Saudi food; maybe more akin to the little Persian cuisine I've tried. I really liked it, and would love to try some of the other dishes - the eggplant borani, and the lamb chops, for sure.
Although we ordered at the counter, the food was brought to our table and was very nicely presented. The staff are warm and genuine, the dining room is smallish but not crowded and is clean and pretty, with cool art. Help yourself to a drink from the fridge by the door and let staff know so they can add it to your bill.
We'll go back there next time we go to Country Cheese. Very nice, and makes me want to learn more about Afghan cuisine. Check it out.