“Typical HIE with a great location for travellers”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Clarington - Bowmanville
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Bowmanville
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Chose this location to save a few $$ over other HIE locations on or nearer to the GO Transit's train network. A short drive up the 401 got me to a GO Train for my day trip into Toronto for the TFC soccer match at the exhibition grounds.

Hotel is indeed a typical HIE. Very clean, safe and well equipped with everything I needed for my quick overnight stay. I did not make use of the extras like the fitness area or the pool but I did notice others were using them.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 12 July 2011

Enjoyed hotel, staff was friendly and helpful, I read about lack of wifi in Sept 2010 review and based on GM response expected it to be corrected, my kids were dussapointed they couldn't log on.

Pool pictures make pool look way bigger than it is, it's a good size, but picture over-sells the pool

These things won't keep us away

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 14 June 2011

This is a typical HIE. Clean, comfortable, decent breakfast included, friendly staff. No wireless in the rooms though. This is something you expect from this chain, and for a newer buliding- very strange they don't have it. That said, I stayed here instead of the Holiday Inn in Peterborough because it was $50 cheaper and includes breakfast. I just got up 45 min earlier to get into Peterborough for meeting.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank lingtraveler
HIEXBMManager, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Clarington - Bowmanville, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2011

Thank you so much for your feedback. I'm so pleased to see that, aside from your concerns regarding the WiFi, that you enjoyed the rest of your stay.
Regarding the Wireless Internet; we are so terribly sorry. We have been tirelessly attempting to get functional hotel-wide WiFi service since we opened, but we were recently advised by our ISP, that the technology is limited for our specific location at present (the details of which are beyond my understanding), and they are unable to guarantee us reliable WiFi without installing Access Points in each guest room, which, unfortunately, just isn't feasible.
All of our main floor common areas are equipped with complimentary Wifi (we have Access Points everywhere in the public areas) and all of our guest rooms have reliable complimentary Wired Internet access (Internet cables are provided complimentary at the front desk for guests to use during their stay).
Please know that we are not giving up on this and as soon as we are able to ensure consistent, reliable wireless connectivity, we will have it for our guests to enjoy.

Thank you again for your comments and, please, should you, or anyone, have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me at 905-697-8089 ext 153.

Warmest regards,

Kim Shields

Reviewed 13 March 2011

We stayed here with a group of hockey families and were pleasantly surprised. We had an executive suite on the 2nd floor. The room was very spacious with fridge and microwave. The kids loved the pool and the breakfast.
The front desk staff went out of their way to arrange dinner and taxi reservations for our group. We were very happy with the Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Wendy M
Reviewed 21 February 2011

I stopped here en route from Toronto to Montreal after my flight had been delayed 4 hours. The property is quite new, very well maintained and the staff (esp. Katie) went out of their way to assist. The room was large and quiet, despite the place being fully booked, mostly by swarms of young hockey players and their parents. Good internet connectivity (free). The hot breakfast was more than adequate. Location is a little odd and they could use a little better signage.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank CanadianTraveler65
Reviewed 14 January 2011

my husband and i stayed here January 5-9/2011. the first night we got to the hotel at 1130pm due to the snowfall. we couldn't sleep all night because of the next rooms TV so loud it kept us awake. when asked the front desk in the morning it as determined that the staff had turned up the TV full blast to test it and forgot to turn it off. the woman at the front desk was the sales mgr and i assumed, my mistake that we'd be comp'ed for the night but were not. the gym was small but served the purpose. overall the hotel was good. good location. we will stay here again as it's close to family.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maureen C
HIEXBMManager, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Clarington - Bowmanville, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2011

Thanks so much for your review.
I have sent you a private message. Please check and contact me at your convenience.

Thanks!

Kim Shields

Reviewed 28 September 2010

This is a new and very nice HIE. However, we were put on the 6th floor and when we questioned that we were told the room couldn't be change. The A/C has a limit of 68 degrees and you can't set it lower which for night time sleeping with the comforter is very uncomfortable. Spent half the night sweating!

Why would anyone build a new hotel and NOT have wireless internet..it is only available in the lobby. This just makes no sense to me! The ethernet cable is a little slower than normal wireless. Plus when you both travel with laptops this is quite an inconvenience. I will NOT be staying here again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SoTX
HIEXBMManager, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Clarington - Bowmanville, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2010

Hi SoTX,

I was hoping to address some of the issues you experienced during your recent stay with us.

I'm so sorry that you found it warm in the room. Typically, 68 degrees is cool enough for most guests but we do understand that some people like things just a little bit bit "fresher". Unfortunately, we have to limit the temperature range for the rooms as, if the temperature is lowered too much, the units can freeze causing permanent and expensive damage. The very cozy duvets are beautiful for chilly weather but I can see if you're already warmer than you'd like, they would make it too warm. Please, for next time, if you make a quick call to Front Desk, within two minutes, we will rush you up a couple of comfy blankets to use instead of the duvet.

As it is our policy to ensure that all of our guests have a comfortable stay and leave satisfied, the only reasons I can think of that our Front Desk wasn't able to move you would be either there were no more of the room type you requested available, or the hotel was sold out. Otherwise, it would have been our pleasure to have you try another room to see if you found it more comfortable. I'm terribly sorry if this wasn't conveyed to you.

Lastly, regaring the Wireless Internet....It's coming!!
We have actually had WiFi since we opened but there were some structural issues that prevented its consistent use with the existing configuration, but rest assured that our IT team is diligently working on the solution as we speak and we have been assured that the WiFi should be completely operational by the end of the month (November).

Please bear with us just a little longer. As a brand new property we are still taking care of some small things that arise, but please know that we're listening, and your issues are our issues.
We care about your experience and our goal is to be the traveller's preferred hotel in the eastern Durham Region and we're prepared to work as hard as we have to to acheive it.

If you, or any other guest, has an issue, question or suggestion they wish to discuss, please call me direct. My name is Kim Shields and I'm the Front Office and Sales Manager here.
My number is 1-877-697-8089 ext 153 and my email is kimberlys@pomeroygroup.ca
I will, personally, do everything I can to ensure that your stay with us is memorable for all the right reasons!

Warmest regards,

Kim

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowmanville
Quality Suites
#3 of 7 in Whitby
Downtown Oshawa
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Oshawa Downtown - Toronto Area
Residence Inn Whitby
#1 of 7 in Whitby

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Clarington - Bowmanville? Share your experiences!