“updated family diner”

Chuckwagon Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 53 Restaurants in Kingsville
Price range: US$4 - US$15
Reviewed August 18, 2017

Went in for a light breakfast...but then realized we'd slept longer than we thought, so lunch it was! I ordered a toasted Western sandwich, which came piping hot and loaded with chopped ham and onions. My hubby ordered the hot turkey. I have to say I did snatch a bit of turkey off his plate. The turkey is real and in-house roasted. Not that strange mystery meat that some restaurants served and claim as being turkey. The gravy was hot and so were the mashed potatoes. My only observation was that while the gravy was hot, the turkey was not....it was room temp at best. I was taught by my chef mother, that you take some gravy and heat it up in a small pan, and when it comes to temp, you add the turkey and heat it through. You never serve a 'hot' sammie, tepid...EVER. The carrots were a little over-cooked but some people like them that way. All in all, a pleasant experience with wholesome, regular food served by a lovely waitress who had a genuine sense of humour and graciousness. I'm going back....they have broasted chicken that I must try! Also, at the cash register, they have a small fridge with in-house made tzatziki for $2.50!! Wow...I'll have to buy a tub of that next time!

Reviewed August 13, 2017

There was one waitress for the whole restaurant at lunch hour, so there was a wait. I had read reviews about the broaster chicken, so decided to give it a try and ordered two breasts with mashed potatoes. They were the tiniest pieces of chicken breast that I have ever seen. More like Cornish hen breasts. It looked very overcooked on the outside and indeed, it was dry on the inside. I mentioned this to the waitress, who I believe is one of the owners, and she asked if my other piece was dry. I said that I had not tried it yet. She never came back to see how the 2nd piece was, which was dry as well. Most restaurants would bring you another piece to replace the dried out one but they did not do that and the kitchen staff were made aware of the dry meat. Instead she gave me a $1.00 off the meal!!! This place spoiled my experience of visiting Kingsville, which was great up until then. I wonder if she knew that I wasn't a local and therefore did not care if I came back or not. Believe me, I never will.

Reviewed July 30, 2017

we were walking around town and tried here for supper a few of the other places seemed a liitle more trendy then what we wanted, this is a homey place friendly server decent food and prices nothing fancy but good

Reviewed July 24, 2017

We stopped in here for Breakfast on a Sunday. The breakfast menu had a good variety of options at reasonable prices. The portions provided were a good size without being too much. Service was quick and friendly.

Reviewed July 22, 2017 via mobile

Good food, great service, good prices. Just passing through doing a wine tour, so we looked on TripAdvisor and found this little Gem! My wife had the liver and onions and I had the fish and chips. We really enjoyed the waitress she was funny.
Thanks!!