“Amazing Food!”

Cuisines: Healthy
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 20, 2013

The best meal I have had in a long time perfect filling portions, so many flavours, food perfectly cooked not a single complaint. Educated on how food is made and described process and ingredients of food. Price is perfect for the quality and portion size. I'm going back every time I'm in Kirkland Lake. Definitely a Diamond in the rough!!!

1  Thank Andrea H

Reviewed May 7, 2013

The Dish Cafe - Kirkland Lake ON. An intimate little spot hidden away on the main street of the town. My wife had heard good reports on this restaurant so we decided to investigate it while driving thru the area. We checked on line with Trip Advisor and found the name and address. The things that struck me first was the intimate atmosphere, with candles on the tables beckoning in the subdued light. We were warmly greeted by the waitress/co-owner. While the menu is not large, there is something for everyones taste. My wife had a sirloin steak cooked to perfection, with garlic whipped potatoes. The presentation was a work of art. I had Tilapia and shrimp which was the best I have ever had. The shrimp especially were nicely prepared and very tasty. Again I had to sit back and admire the fantastic presentation to the meal. The prices were $27 and $30. Well worth it for every aspect of the experience, from the welcome to the atmosphere, the service to the food and presentation. We would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone for a special occasion, a nice intimate dinner or a relaxing dinner with good friends.

1  Thank MalcolmMacDonald
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Food and atmosphere is fantastic! The couple who run it are clearly very passionate about what they do.

1  Thank tormeys
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I travel a lot! Usually when I head to smaller towns I have a choice between something with gravy or combo number 3 with Honey Garlic Ribs. So I find "The Dish" and decided to give them a try. Just out of sheer culinary boredom, I said to the server, who happens to be a partner, "Tell the chef to cook me anything that brings him joy". It's funny because when I have used this approach in the past, I usually end up with a traditional Steak Frites. Not at The Dish. Service began with a delicious Shrimp and Chorizo appetizer. I am not a big fan of chorizo, I had a one night conversion. The flavors were beautifully married with marinated red peppers. Main course was beef with perfectly herbed slice roasted potatoes and asparagus wrapped in Prosciutto and presentation was five star all the way. The portions were large and unexpected. So as I finished my last five bites- It Hurt, but in a really good way. I had to wait for desert, not because of poor service, but because I was enjoying a fantastic meal. Desert was a flour-less chocolate cake. Wow. I hope the local folks will support The Dish because support will be rewarded with tasty, fresh five star food in their own hometown.

4  Thank NewBrunswickJane
Reviewed March 8, 2013

This small (24 seats) restaurant is a breath of fresh air for KL. Fabulous menu selection, good balance of food choices (meats, fish, poultry and vegetarian), welcoming and courteous service, mystery of choice since menu changes daily. Been there a dozen times and never encountered a problem or food left on plates by all accompanying me. Been there for service for 2, 10 and, yes, even 20 for a private function: the quality of foods and service was always top notch regardless of numbers. A very special ambiance and extremely nice to have our youth return north to spoil us with their skills and professionalism! Out of town guests rave about The Dish...time for all to discover it on their own.

1  Thank Serge et Pat M