“Quaint Atmosphere, Good Food”

Black Birch Restaurant
Ranked #14 of 120 Restaurants in Orangeville
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Burlington, Canada
“Quaint Atmosphere, Good Food”
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Visited early January - food was very good. Homey, quaint atmosphere.

• Visited January 2012

Toronto, Canada
“Fine Dining?? NOT even Close! Terrible Restaurant”
Reviewed 3 January 2012

We decided to go out for dinner to kick start our Christmas Holidays and decided to try Black Birch since we live fairly close to it. I called during the day and was greeted on the phone by an extremely rude woman, I tried to ask a couple questions regarding the menu etc. and she cut me off saying that I was "calling during lunch time" and that its not a good time to call, right there I should have cancelled the reservation but I thought I will stick it out and try it. When we got there around 6:00, we waited at the font for over 5 minutes to be seated, I had to go and find someone to take us to our seat...not warm welcome what so ever, very rude in my opinion. I was shocked by the decor, I was under the impression it was "fine dining"??? the place is a DUMP, it was VERY cold the drafty, old and unkept, there are only about 8 tables in the entire restaurant. It took a while for a server to even come over and pour us a glass of water, even thought there was only us and one other group in the whole restaurant. I went with my Children, both 9 and My husband. There is NO selection of food for kids at all...the the menu was nothing to rave about, but they did have tenderloin which I was in the mood for and the reason we went in the first place. We put in our order after trying to find something for the kids to eat...bread came out quickly but food took forever, we had to ask where it was and when it would be coming out? and when we would ask for something, it was like we where putting the server out...in the meantime we were all freezing, wearing our jackets to try to keep warm...finally the food came out...my beef tenderloin was luke warm, with hard veggies and burnt potatoes...my sons pasta so small you could fit it in one hand, my daughters burger came out charred and burnt with these huge chunks of potato that the restaurant call fries? and my husbands pasta was tortellini with sauce, plain tasting sauce...the store bought Oliveri pasta is 10 times better then what they served here, we were not impressed, I told the server about my steak, she was reluctant to take it back and had a sour look on her face when I told her about it, she ended up taking it back to the kitchen to warm it up, by the time it came back out, it was well overdone...we were so upset about this meal..and the service. The bill came and there was no compensation for the steak, the handfull of aweful pasta my son didn't even eat was $12.00, my husband hardly ate any of his pasta and my daughter ate maybe a quarter of the burger and nothing else...we had no wine/beer etc. and the bill was still over $100. We couldn't believe this establishment...they were all rude, and seemed like they didn't even want to be there, the food was horrible, worst I've even had, (and we have been to A LOT of restaurants) the atmosphere is grungy and dumpy...definitely NOT fine dining (they had paper on top of the tables) and WAY overpriced!!! we left not very happy thats for sure. I am still upset about the dinner, and feel totally ripped off, I have been trying to contact the manager but he seems to be conveniently unavailable whenever I call...interesting.

• Visited December 2011
5 Thank SRHHughes
Toronto
“Lousy customer service”
Reviewed 1 January 2012

We, as well as several family and friends have dined at the Black Birch on numerous occasions and the food is always very good. The service on the other hand is pitiful. We spent New Years eve with another couple and booked 4 weeks in advance. When we booked the reservation we were told there was no set menu but perhaps fewer options to choose from. We also informed the young girl that we had a living deal coupon and were told that too was fine. Our reservation was for 7 pm and we ended up in a holding table until 745! And that was with a reservation! The female server was less than professional with some one shouldered sweater and bra strap exposed- pretty poor for a relatively fine dining establishment. At our table we learned in fact there was a set menu of min. 55.00 per person. When I brought this to the server's attention she reluctantly went to talk to Mark and more reluctantly said they could separate out the menu. After that she was totally inattentive and needed to be asked twice for bread! She had a Face like thunder and would have been better suited for a pub. Dinner was lovely, but the entertainment very weak and pretty much a downer for New years eve. When it came time to paying yet more hassles and resistance to accept the living deal coupon, which previously we were told was fine to use. It's already embarrassing enough using a coupon but then to be told by the owner that he doesn't even make any money off of these things? Really come on!!! At this point we couldn't leave fast enough and let me say the whole evening left a really bad taste in our mouths! Every year we buy gift cards for family here and have treated friends here on more than one occasion, we will not likely be in a hurry to return.

1 Thank LDSpring
Grand Valley, Ontario
“Wow - this was fabulous!”
Reviewed 4 December 2011

My husband and I were celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary and wanted to try a new place for lunch. We were not disappointed. Service was nicely paced and our food was excellent. I had the carrot soup and grilled salmon entree and both were 10 out of 10. My husband had the 3 cheese omelette and salad. The omelette was cooked perfectly and the salad had a light dressing which didnt overpower the fresh greens. The decor is casual, the staff helpful and friendly. We definitely will be returning soon.

• Visited December 2011
Toronto
“Wow!”
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We had a fabulous lunch at the Black Birch Restaurant in the Hockley Valley area. It's a cottage-style restaurant with a natural ambience. You can watch the several species of birds outside the windows eating from the many feeders while you dine. The food is very good and is really tasty. Prices are excellent. Caesar salad is very good! Menu changes each day but everything is homemade including the chutneys and desserts…Yummy!!! It is not fine dining but the food quality is. This is a casual restaurant in an intimate and cozy setting. Enjoy, we did!

• Visited November 2011