“Detailed and Definitive Review of the Pearl Massage Therapy Spa in Pickering”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Pearl Massage Therapy Spa
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I love the Pearl Massage Therapy Spa in Pickering! It’s such a nice, gem of a spa, where you feel like you’re being transported to your own little peaceful paradise.

Every time I visit my sister and her family in Pickering, I have to book myself in for a visit. And now my brother-in-law chides me by saying that the only reason why we seem to visit more regularly is because we want to get a massage at the Pearl.

At first, I was a little skeptical when my sister first recommended this spa to me. I do get regular massages, but the majority had been at my chiropractor’s office. I have previously been to a couple of spas with my wife, but I never felt too comfortable. The Pearl is different. While it’s beautiful inside, it isn’t pretentious. You never feel emasculated by being pressured to undergo frou frou treatments, because they don’t offer any other services outside of registered massage therapy.

Anyway, a year or so ago, I had a sore back, and was going to cancel a Sunday visit to my sister in Pickering. However, she took the liberty of booking me into the Pearl so I could get my back treated. Even though I didn’t want to go to a spa, my back was aching from a lot of gardening, so I eventually relented. I was really surprised that I could get a massage on a Sunday, because most places are closed.

The Pearl is located in this cool little residential/commercial community on a small side street. Parking was easy on a Sunday, as most of the other businesses were closed. When I first walked in, I was actually impressed. The design language at the Pearl is very modern, chic, yet comfortable. It has an upscale look and feel to it, but it isn’t fussy. Please be advised that it isn’t an overly large space. However, it is very comfortable and cozy which lends itself to the boutique feel making it seem even more exclusive. More importantly, the prices weren’t marked up crazy like other spaces. Instead, they were in line with what you would pay at any chiro clinic.

Anyway, let’s get to the massage. It was one of the best that I have ever received! The knots in my back rejoiced under the skilled and talented hands of the therapist. At first, she gently coaxed and pressed my muscles so they would loosen up a little. Once they did, she expertly manipulated and kneaded them with slightly more pressure. She was so intuitive – as if her hands were in silent dialogue with my muscles. She knew when to exert more pressure, but never too much that I would cry out in pain.

I visited the Pearl so that I could get my back worked on. However, my therapist quickly discovered that my shoulder and neck muscles were also very knotted and tense. I guess that they have been like that for such a long time, that it seemed normal to me. With confident and reassuring expertise, she slowly but surely melted away the stiffness.

Even though it was a very therapeutic massage, she was working so smoothly and rhythmically that I found myself drifting off. As the tension slowly released from my aching muscles, I couldn’t help but fall asleep once my mind and body reached that state of total relaxation in unison.

The absolute best part of this whole experience was that my workplace benefits provided 100% coverage for registered massage therapy. You know what they say, 'the best things in life are free'. Because of this, I was happy to tip the therapist $20 out of my own pocket.

Since then, I have returned to the Pearl on a semi-regular basis – whenever my sister has us over. What’s that – you want to invite us over for dinner? Sure! My nephew’s birthday? Absolutely! You want us to come over and watch the Bachelor finale? We’re there!

Because I was always raving about the Pearl, my wife decided to give it a try, even though she had her own massage therapist who she visits monthly. As it turns out, she loves the Pearl too. We actually have been there several times for a couples massage. The funny thing about my wife is that she always feels guilty after. She feels like she’s ‘cheating’ on her therapist when she goes there.

The bottom line is that if you want an amazing massage in an elegant and relaxing setting, you should visit the Pearl if you live in the eastern part of the Greater Toronto area (Scarborough, Markham Pickering, Ajax or Whitby). If I didn’t live an hour’s drive away, then I would definitely go there more often. Sure, it may not have all the services that you would get at traditional spas, but if you’re just looking for registered massage therapy, then I can’t think of a better place.

18  Thank mcwhammer