Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Danny G
Roslyn Heights, New York
Authentic regional cuisine
5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Jan 20, 2016
Excellent 5 course meal from beginning to end. Sweet breads were superb.
Salmon tartare bias a real treat. The desserts choices were perfect to finish the meal.
3 types of butter and homemade bread were an added treat
Date of stay: January 2016
Room Tip: We just had dinner
4.0 of 5 bubblesValue
    C$95
    C$100
3.3 km from Les Trois Canards
View more hotels in La Malbaie
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed September 7, 2014

I stayed at Les Trois Canards after my room reservation was not honored at Hotel Au Petit Berger and hotels.com was not able to persuade or enforce the hotel to provide the room that was booked and confirmed through their website. Les Trois Canards, and everything about it, was an oasis, especially in comparison to the other lodging. The room had a beautiful view overlooking La Malbaie, the scenic church steeple, the coastline, the lovely pool and their beautiful greens. The rooms, the grounds, the lobby, the restaurant all were elegant and comfortable, luxurious and practical. It was a short walk to the water’s edge and the main part of town. It was truly a respite after each day’s adventure in the Charlevoix region.
There was a small additional charge for the breakfast which and included a gourmet main course, a starter buffet of cheeses, pates, fruit, yogurts, homemade breads, jellies, jams and pastries. Because it was so delicious, I ordered the same main course 3 days in a row – eggs Florentine with smoked salmon on top of a sensuous potato pancake. The food and the fabulous view from the dining room was a spectacular way to start any day on vacation.

It should be noted that if you stay at the Inn, you will receive more than a 20% discount for breakfast and/or the 5 course fine gastronomic dinner. And, there is no elevator. I was fine with walking up and down 3 flights of stairs; however this could be a problem for others.

The only negative I experienced was that when I checked into the Inn, I was quoted one price for the meal plan that included the dinner and when I checked out, I was charged $20 more per day. Although, the meal was worth the extra $20, and it was probably a language issue, I do feel like they should have honored what was quoted, or at least we should have split the difference. That will not deter me from returning to Les Trois Canards as it was really a VERY lovely experience!

Room tip: High floors have great views, but more steps to climb. Make sure you include the breakfast and at least 1 dinner. The food is great and the view spectacular
Date of stay: August 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank ILoveTraveling2
Reviewed June 24, 2014

On our way back from our salmon camp, we overnighted at this restful, delicious and memorable auberge. Memories indeed from ages ago..... absolutely comfortable rooms, a glorious lodge, a starred restaurant and the peace and calm of "mer et montagne" that is Charlevois PQ. Could not ask for more on this first day of Summer. And the menu to end all with 'ris de veau' +++++ while dining overlooking the historical bay. In a word perfect....Book ahead, take the 'forfait' with dinner and breakfast, and get a ground floor room so as to wander at sunrise the lush grounds. Bravo et merci Auberge Les Trois Canards.

Date of stay: June 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank salmonangler
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We were on the road and managed to find this hotel rather late in the evening. The view from our balcony was amazing. I saw the sunrise and it was just gorgeous. Our room was a bit old, no air conditioning but very clean. I think the new rooms are pretty good. Swimming pool was very inviting, we had a lovely swim just before going out to dinner. Wifi was not working properly in our room, we had to go down to reception to be able to get the network so it was a bit of a hassle.

All in all it was a nice stay but next time I will definitely ask for a new room. (smaller balconies but with air conditioning).

Room tip: It seems as if all rooms have a view so no problem there but do ask for a room with air conditioning.
Date of stay: July 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Les Trois Canard has lost the luster it used to have. We visited there a few times in the 90s and kept great memories of the place and were looking forward to this recent stay. We were sadly disappointed by the absence of service at the front desk, the general state of disrepair of the establishment and the poor quality of the rooms. The food, however, was fanstastic and if we ever go back to Les Trois Canards, it will be for the restaurant only. Here's the story of our last stay.

My wife and I went to Les Trois Canards after having attended a beautiful concert at Domaine Forget nearby. We had called ahead to see if there was someone to check us in late at night and they said that there would be someone until 11pm. We arrived at 10:30pm and there was no one at the front desk. In fact, there was no one in sight. I walked behind the desk and into the office and there was no one there. Then I went into the dining room and it was deserted as well but I could hear voices coming in from the kitchen so I went in and finally found someone who could get someone to check us in.

Then we got to our room and I went into the bathroom to take a shower. I was first struck by the bright white fluorescent lighting, and then by the used washcloth and soap left over from the previous occupant in the shower. Disgusting. Then went to bed and turned off the lights only to find out that the alarm clock was plugged into a switched outlet so it was turned off at the same time. Grrr.

The next morning, we wanted to take in the view over the St. Lawrence (it is a great location) so walked out on the balcony, a cramped thing not more than 4 feet wide and 6 feet deep ensconced between two walls, so narrow in fact that the chairs were laid out not to face the river but they were set along one wall facing the other. By daylight, it became apparent that the whole thing was no better than a cheap motel room with a rock hard bed, cheap bedding, pressed wood furniture, and poor overall taste.

There was one bright spot in the whole experience: the food! We had breakfast in the restaurant and found the food to be absolutely amazing. The florentine eggs were perfectly cooked with a light yet tasty sauce while my wife's blueberry and maple butter pancakes were simply to die for.

After breakfast, it was time to check out so we went back to our room and walked out the stairs into the parking and found them covered in cracked paint and broken painted asphalt shingles which I assume were meant as non-skid. Yet another example of the general state of disrepair of this establishment.

Check out was another painful experience. I walked into the lobby to find that there were already 4 people waiting in line. Not to check out though: they were there to book excursions. Problem was there was only one employee there handling the phone, booking excursions (which required numerous phone calls to inquire about availability and the filling out of long forms by hand), and checking out guests. It took more than 20 minutes before the poor employee eventually got to me and I was fuming by then.

Date of stay: August 2012
1  Thank CharlesV
Reviewed May 30, 2012

We looked at the Fairmont but seemed a bit too fancy. This hotel was perfect. We had an upgraded room with a wonderful river view. We were early in the season so some of the amenities were not up, like the pool and putting green, but we enjoyed anyway. We got the room, dinner and breakfast package and I highly recommend this option! Our dinner was absolutely wonderful and our waitress was equally impressive. It was fun toasting our fresh bread in the fireplace! We complimented the chef and he came out to greet us - very nice. Breakfast was equally fantastic, again with great service. Our dinner was actually one of the best meals that we have ever had. Absolutely wonderful overall experience.

Date of stay: May 2012