“Clean rooms, friendly staff, fun activities available” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Auberge Duchesnay

Auberge Duchesnay
Bloomfield, NJ
“Clean rooms, friendly staff, fun activities available”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2009

We stayed at the Auberge for 2 nites this Feb. for a wedding at the Hotel De Glace, which is located on the grounds. The hotel was clean and the concierge desk was very helpful. The view is beautiful as the location is not very populated but also not many alternatives for dinning out. A group of people we were traveling with went dogsledding and loved it.

Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank aetravel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Waldwick, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2009

I must say I absolutely loved this hotel. It was quite difficult to find however, as there are a number of small lodges on the property, and the hotel is nestled snug in a small area in the middle of nowhere. Thank god for GPS!!

From the start we were treated as family here. I paid a good price for the reservation including snowmobiling. However when I arrived I was given many other "freebies" as i would say. I was provided with a meal voucher for a 4-course dinner and a full buffet breakfast, as well as a visit to the ice hotel and a schedule of events hosted right on site.

It was a beautiful winter getaway and quite romantic and warm. We had a great time playing in the snow and enjoying the activities the site had to offer.

My only complaint was that we got quite cold during the snowmobiling, but hey its winter! That and my French is not so good, but the Quebec French are very welcoming and understanding of that!!!

• Liked — All of the activities
  • Disliked — Kind of hard to find at first
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rickyrak
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2009

The staff was so friendly & nice, the rooms are quaint and fit within the natural setting, there are many fun activities and the setting is nothing less than breathtaking.

• Liked — The room fit perfectly with the natural setting
  • Disliked — It would be nice if the pool was a few degrees warmer
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DevelopmentWorker
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2008

Not sure when the auberge was built or renovated, but everything was very new. The lobby and restaurant were tastefully decorated as a modern ski lodge. The view outside our window was beautiful given it was a snow covered lake. The only thing I wasn't very impressed with was the staff at the restaurant, les quatre temps, was kind of distant and aloof towards non-French customers. I enjoyed the food but not a fan of the restaurant staff. The spa was brand new, but visitors have to walk outside wrapped in just a blanket to get to the individual massage houses, which is a pain given the cold quebec winter weather.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hc6219
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2007

The resort is truly beautiful but I had to stay in one of the cabins because the Auberge was fully booked. I got to visit other cabins in addition to mine too.

Our cabin was adequately and nicely furnished. I do have a thing though for bathrooms. I like them clean and undamaged. Our shower curtain was worn out, ratty, and stained. The shower walls had dark stains on them. At the price we pay for these cabins, management could at least wash/replace shower curtains between guests; and also do at least a cosmetic fix for those ugly walls.

The Auberge was nicer (got to stay here too). Beds were nicely made up (don't know if bedding has been changed though). Both bed and bathroom looked clean. No ratty shower curtains in the Auberge!

Their breakfast buffet was amazing and efficiently laid out although I'm not a huge eater so huge amounts are not important to me. I like the variety though.

Restaurant staff were very professional and efficient. Service during lunch was very slow though (wait time of, sometimes, over an hour). This doesn't seem to be the staff's fault. They moved fast but there were just too few of them. We had a conference and there were 200+ people seated. There were very few food servers to bring 3 sets of dishes to every table (appetizer, main course, dessert). I'd say this is the management's fault for not deploying more staff during lunch hour. A buffer would have been more appropriate as it would require less staff (they don't seem to have that many).

Additionally, I think that staff in resorts that also cater to international clients (or even just non-Quebecer clients) should be fluent in both French and English. I found that lower rank staff didn't know a word of English. Some front desk staff have great difficulty conversing and writing in English. Knowing nothing but Frenh would be good if they only target Quebec residents or French people or people from French-colonized nations but people visiting Canada expect to be able to use either French or English. Those signs that were exclusively in French were a big turn off. I must confess I didn't expect the resort or Quebec to be so fanatical about their language. I was attending a conference so I didn't do my learn-everything-I-can-learn-about-this-country-I'm-visiting exercise that I usually do. That's probably because I was going to a conference, not a vacation. It was in Canada. It was in North America! For God's sake, I should be able to talk in English in North America!

3 Thank MaruSag
London, on
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2007

We travelled from Ontario to stay as the propery and price was fantastic. The room was wonderful; clean, nicely decorated, beds were comfortable, it was also very quiet. We took part in almost all of the activities that come free with the package, snow shoeing, cross country skiing, candle making and archery. These were fantastic, all the staff was friendly, spoke wonderful english( even though they thought it was poor) and helped with our attempts at french. The dining room was fabulous I have never eaten so well or so much in my life! I would go back again in a heartbeat, and as it is on a lake we may try going back in the summer to take advantage of the beach. The ice hotel was an added benefit as it was magical!

• Liked — The outdoor activities and staff
  • Disliked — One dining room host was a little grumpy
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cori14
Woodstock, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2007

This is certainly a winter wonderland! We were impressed from the moment we arrived. We selected a package with meals. The rooms are lovely and the food delicious. Service was especially good, considering we don't speak French. The highlight for us was visiting the Ice Hotel. A fascinating undertaking and certainly a must see, especially at night. In your wildest dreams you can't imagine the beauty and details of the Ice Hotel. Not only are all the furnishings of ice, but also all the art work on the walls. The Auberge Duchesnay is located in the beautiful Canadian countryside and only 30 minutes to Quebec.

• Liked — The proximity of the various activities to the hotel.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Zulinka
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sainte Catherine de la Jacques Cartier
21.2 km away
32.4 km away
Auberge Aux Deux Lions
Auberge Aux Deux Lions
#5 of 106 in Quebec City

Been to Auberge Duchesnay? Share your experiences!