El Refugio en Patzcuaro
Posada Yolihuani(Patzcuaro)
US$62
Hotel Mansion Iturbe(Patzcuaro)(Great Value!)
US$73
Mision Patzcuaro Centro Historico(Patzcuaro)(Great Value!)
US$49
US$48
Hotel Posada Camelinas(Patzcuaro)(Great Value!)
US$23
Hotel Meson de San Antonio(Patzcuaro)(Great Value!)
US$35
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Casa del Refugio(Patzcuaro)(Great Value!)
US$45
US$78
Best Western Plus Posada De Don Vasco(Patzcuaro)(Great Value!)
US$32
Posada de la Salud(Patzcuaro)(Great Value!)
US$17
US$16
US$43
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed April 27, 2011

Of all the places in Mexico and Guatemala that we have stayed in over the years, El Refugio en Patzcuaro is the best. Our host, Martín, could not have been more helpful. The breakfasts he served were tasty, fresh and plentiful. His kitchen and dining room have been featured in the book "Mexicocina" because of the classic Mexican design. Our room was equally visually pleasing with antiques, paintings, fresh flowers and a fireplace. The thick stone walls insured tranquility. I thoroughly enjoyed the time I spent in the room, the dining room and the patio. El Refugio means the refuge and that really was a good definition of this wonderful B&B. Since returning from Michoacan I have told everyone what a special place this was to stay. I can't imagine visiting Patzcuaro and not staying here.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2011

El Refugio is not only a beautiful lodging, but the innkeeper, Martin, welcomes you as if you are at home. The rooms are unique and filled with Mexican art, and many have fireplaces and an electric heating pad, which is very necessary in January for the cool evenings. The gourmet breakfasts cooked each morning are served in a lovely dining room on charming Mexican pottery. Delicious! We were able to use the kitchen as our own to prepare sunset cocktails and snacks. Martin had many suggestions for nearby towns to visit, and even accompanied us one morning to show us his favorite spots in town. The tranquil patios, folk art decor, and attentive service were impeccable. Wi-fi is available in a book and art-laden sitting room just off the patio

There are also several apartments available within the complex, offering flexibility for larger groups. The inn is a bit difficult to locate even though right in town (there are three El Refugios in Patzcuaro!), so be sure to have the exact address if arriving by taxi. Patzcuaro is a lovely colonial town brimming with ambiance. We felt fortunate to have stayed in El Refugio and hope to return again soon.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 10, 2010

I stayed at El Refugio en Patzcuaro for the festivities during Día de los Muertos. Martín is the perfect host. Upon arrival he showed me my room along with the rest of the house. The house is beautifully decorated with folk art from all over Mexico and paintings from the colonial period. My room was spacious and the bed was comfortable. Breakfast was different every morning. We were served freshly squeezed fruit juice, a choice of tea or coffee, a platter of fresh fruit, yogurt, granola, freshly baked bread or sweet rolls and the main breakfast meal. The house is very quiet, peaceful and relaxing. Martín speaks English, which is helpful for people who are not fluent in Spanish. He was most gracious and helpful. One day he even walked me to the Casa de Cambio that was nearby. I would highly recommend staying at El Refugio en Patzcuaro. I already made a reservation to stay there next year for La Semana Santa. This is truly a jewel in Patzcuaro!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed September 4, 2010

We spent 4 days a El Refugio in July ( rainy season) and found it a charming get away. Martin is the perfect host and obviously very proud of his own house which has been opend to the public. The attention to detail is amazing from the monogramed towels to the way they were folded every night - a swan- a fan.Martin was always there to greet us and join us for the delicious Mexican breakfast each morning. We felt that this was truly a wonderfull find and a very good price for the experience. We will be back.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2010

This is a superbly conceived and executed -- and well-named -- refuge. Beautifully decorated with outstanding Mexican arts and crafts. Perfectly clean. Wonderful service. Martin Ortegon makes the place work perfectly, and went out of his way to see to our comfort and suggest helpful tips for getting the most out of Patzcuaro and Michoacan. My only hesitation in recommending this place is that I fear that if it's too widely known I won't find a place here next time. Ask Martin for information on how to contact GloboAventura for a great hot air balloon ride over the area.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family