All reviewsthird floorthe hotel staffblanketsdesknoisemexicotown
Reviewed November 10, 2016 via mobile

We had a twin room overlooking the Square. The beds were comfortable and we had a safe for our belongings. The room had a really good shower with excellent water pressure, plenty of places to put our stuff, plenty of hot water, it was enclosed, and out of the window was a view over the rooftops up the hill. The hotel is in an excellent location right on one of the smaller squares which after exploring the town I thought was the best Square in town. The market is on the opposite end of the Square and has lots of good cheap eating spots. The only problem was the noise of minibuses honking and car alarms going off but that may have been because we were there just before the day of the dead celebration and the town was very crowded.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rockabel
Reviewed August 9, 2016

When planning our trip to Patzcuaro I began to look on line for a hotel. Several things were important in choosing a hotel for the trip. Because I was bringing my adult daughters who had never been I wanted it to be in the central city so they could get a grasp of the culture and activity. For their sake it needed to be a little nicer than I migh.t have chosen had I been traveling alone and because we were driving a rental car parking was important. I was pleased to see the Gran Hotel among the choices available. In our travels in the past we had eaten at their restaurant in the past, but never stayed there. But knew it was a nice place on a smaller plaza in the heart of the city. So I made my reservation through one of the on-line booking sites. I had reserved two double rooms, which the site said had two double beds. On arrival we discovered that was incorrect. The double room only has one double bed. On hearing that the older of my daughter’s response was “where will my sister sleep?” I was able to pull up the site which showed a picture of two double beds. The very gracious young lady at the desk who English was only slightly better than my Spanish went and got the manager. He explained this had been a problem with the site on several occasions. he went on and said there was a group in the hotel that night and he did not have any rooms available with two double beds. I began trying to figure out what I was going to do when he added “I will give you another room with a double bed tonight at no charge and tomorrow you can pick the room you want with two double beds.” Needless to say I was more than impressed with the grace with which he handled the situation.

The hotel is located on the Plaza Gertrudis Bocanegra, and just a block from the larger, more tourist-oriented Plaza Vasco de Quiroga. It appears the hotel has recently gone through a major restoration. The rooms appear to be freshly painted and the place carries an elegant charm. The downstairs is completely taken up with the lobby and restaurant. Rooms are located on the second and third floors. The original rooms we were scheduled to stay in were on the second floor and the third room provided was on the third. Originally we had planned to move the person from that room down to the second floor on Sunday. However, on arriving on the third floor we discovered a terrace that overlooked the plaza and much of the city, so we all moved there.

The stairs are beautiful old world marble stairs with highly polished hand rails that wind to each floor. The floors are a ceramic tile and immaculate. Rooms have a bed (or beds) along with a night stand and desk. In the closet there is a safe for valuables and each room has a private bath. Several of the rooms with two beds also have a very nice sitting area with a table and chairs. The hotel is old school and irons the sheets in the laundry located at the bottom or a spiral stair case located in the housekeeping room on each floor. The housekeeping staff are meticulous, friendly and accommodating.

One of the issues I have had and heard others speak about in many hotels, even nicer ones, in Mexico is they do not appear to use fabric softener and the towels often feel like sand paper. I actually know people who carry their towels when traveling for that reason. That was not the case at the Gran. The towels were soft and absorbent. Toiletries are provided by the hotel including soap, shampoo and lotion and bottled water is supplied daily. One of the things my daughters appreciated most was there is plenty of hot water 24 hours a day. There are coffee makers in every room, however we never found coffee. But there are convenience stores nearby and two supermarkets in town, so that was not an issue. One of the first things I do on arriving for an extended stay in Mexico is to stop by one of the larger chain groceries and get a 5-gallon bottle of water and coffee (we actually carry our own percolator because many hotels do not have coffee makers and water is sometimes a premium). There is a flat screen TV in every room and on check in you are given a remote. In addition to the blanket on the bed, there are extra blankets and pillows in the closet. One would not think blankets would be important in August, but Patzcuaro is located about 7000 feet h it can get cool (lower 50’s) in the evening. People always look at me a little strangely when I carry a leather jacket through the airport in Texas when heading to Mexico, but I was particularly glad to have it this trip. There had been a hurricane the week previous on the coast of Veracruz and there was rain every day which cools things down considerably in the evening.

Hotel Gran has a great deal to offer. It has a great location with a beautiful, well cared for facility. The only issue we ran into was an intermittent, mostly at night, failure of the internet. It was often off all night. Which for a night owl can be a little bit of an issue. But it was a small price to pay considering all the advantages.

Room Tip: The third floor has a great terrace and 301 has a sitting area (as may 201)
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank billybob76511
Reviewed July 21, 2016

The location of this hotel is fantastic, in the midst of Patzcuaro's restaurants and cafes. directly on the Plaza Gertrudis Bocanegra, and just a block from the larger, more tourist-oriented Plaza Vasco de Quiroga. The layout is kind of strange, though — my room was comfortable enough, but tiny, and with no windows to the outside (it had a couple windows to the hotel's hallway, which does offer fresh air due to a traditional Mexican open-roof design. But it was a bit warmer than I'd prefer, with no means to remedy that.

My bed was comfortable, and my room had a coffee machine, which was great. The wifi worked sporadically. The restaurant did not stay open during slow weekday evenings; the one night I wanted to dine there, I was forced to venture out in the rain to seek alternate options. Worst of all, there was loud maintenance work going on during my stay. I know that happens sometimes, and I try to be understandable, but was extremely loud, and it woke me up more than once.

Oh, and not a word of English is spoken here — which is fine, I don't count that against them — but if you're staying here, be prepared to make yourself understood in español.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank NateDenny
Reviewed May 15, 2016

4* Gran Hotel
Plaza Grandre Boca Negra 6 Colonia Centro, Pátzcuaro, 61600, Mexico
Phone: +524343420443
Limited parking in front of the hotel
Friendly receptionist
Has restaurant on premises
Rooms are small, but nice and clean
120 voltage (behind bed, pull out clock radio plug)
Hot water is sometimes lacking in the shower
Good value

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Rosquete
Reviewed April 27, 2016

We made a reservation at the hotel via Booking.com.

On arrival, we were advised that there was a problem with the hot water supply and that rather than have disappointed guests they would make arrangments for us to stay in a nearby hotel. All of this was communicated in Spanish from their side and broken Spanish from ours. All of that notwithstanding, we were quickly settled into the alternative hotel, with the Gran Hotel paying the difference in the price of the room.

While we were disappointed not to have the opportunity to stay at the Gran Hotel we were impressed with the attitude of the management.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple