“romantic and delightful”

Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Valle de Bravo
Mexico City, Mexico
“romantic and delightful”
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Just came back from an amazing weekend get away from Rodavento and it was worth all the way. My wife had been telling me about this boutique hotel which is 90 minutes from Mexico City for a long time. So I decided to take her for our anniversary, and believe me we had one of the most romantic, fun and peaceful weekends of our life. It is such a beautiful place and everything seems to fit just perfect, the nice cabanas, the amazing woods, the lake and the food were all great. This is a place where you want to go to and read a good book, walk holding hands with your love one, or just sit on the woods and watch nature at it´s best. There are so many activities to do like hiking, wall climbing, zip line, mountain bike, kayak, rappel etc. Food is good and service was so friendly, we´ll be back very soon, special thank´s to Narciso our waiter and Mario at registration desk.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 30 December 2010

I stayed at Rodavento for work (unbelievable, I know -- someone proposed having a meeting there and off we went). While the setting is gorgeous, this is most definitely not the right place to hold a meeting. The bungalows are comfortable but relatively bare (the bathrooms, are clean but especially rustic) and no one should event think about bringing/using anything with wheels on property. The entire site is rugged and completely non-conformant with the ADA. I only recommend it for people looking for rugged relaxation and/or time away from civilization. The the food is mediocre at best and you're not anywhere close to decent alternatives. One aspect of the trip that really upset me: on our very last day, while still wrapping up our meeting (the whole group was expected to check out at 1pm) I went back to my room at 11:30am only to find that the staff had found a degree of "initiative" (as they later described it) unheard of during our five-day stay and took it upon themselves to run over the "do not disturb" sign I left at the door, pack my bags, and get the room ready for the next guest. This was (and remains) the one and only time this has ever happened to me, and I found it absolutely unforgiving, outrageous, and unbelievable. It took a while for a manager to show up and apologize but it was too little, too late. Since Rodavento doesn't have a monopoly on "a pretty site by the lake". I most definitely do not recommend the hotel due to its poorly trained staff and unexplainable attitude.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank AACN
london
Reviewed 8 November 2009

A lot more cut off than i thought it would be - its about 10mins from the town by car them down a small winding path then once you get to reception its another walk to your room! up stairs across a bridge up a hill - be prepared!

The staff were nice but you felt like you were in their home not a hotel they were all pretty casual and had their kids, babies there at work with them. also we dont speak much spanish so was quite difficult to communicate ordering food was a challenge at breakfast as there was no menu even though we can speak a little spanish still managed to get the wrong food.

wasnt given any info on the activities and think it would have been difficult to arrange anything except the spa (which was quite expensive considering - £50 for a massage!! thats london prices!) Also the pool is pretty small but the water was a nice temp.

The restaurant was good though, the waiters sweet and the prices inexpensive and great view - of the lovely property lake and forest and grounds. There's free internet in the main building but we actually managed to get internet in our room too somehow??

The rooms are pretty amazing they are on silts in the woods with great views. There's a fireplace in the room which is a nice touch - we got them to come light it even though it wasnt that cold. Nice free standing bath but couldnt get very hot water only warm had to keep turning the tap on and off to get it. No tv or music in the room which i can understand but i would prefer to have if given the choice. NIce terrace with comfy loungers. Luckily we booked our own cab for the return trip to mexico city don't think the staff would have been able to arrange (thats how little faith i had in them!)

all in all was nice but kinda wished we'd gone somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 5 July 2009

I had the opportunity to stay for a business trip with colleagues and thoroughly enjoyed the hotel and more importantly the property! Every room is a private "cabin/tent" with beautiful views, fireplace and comfortable furnishings. Walking down to the central gathering room was a treat as well - and the dining room and views are lovely. Beware - this concept does not include television or internet service, but if you have a 3G phone then not a problem. Definitely go for a massage, tried the piedras calientes and was a lovely 90 minutes of relaxation.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank MexCityTravelers
Mexico City
Reviewed 28 May 2009

Rodavento is settled in a beuatiful pine forest.The architecture of the place is modern and gracefully respects nature. Activities are very fun, you can kayak, swim, rappel or canopy.Kids have a lot of fun,the food is very good and the ambiance great for families.You can also visit Valle de Bravo, which is a typical mexican village, and very well mantained.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank viajeramx1
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2008

Had a great two night stay at Rodavento in Valle de Bravo. Sooooooo relaxing. Great forest views from the rooms.

The staff is really friendly, but kind of forgetful. So if you ask for something and don’t get it, call again from your room or ask again. Otherwise, service is great. The restaurant staff is excellent.

The restaurant is GREAT. They have limited options, and the menu is the same for lunch and dinner, but everything is excellent. Breakfast is really good, which a huge variety of options.

The spa is pretty good, but not spectacular. There is a temazcal, but only on Saturdays, so plan to be there over the weekend if you don’t want to miss that.

Definitely make sure to bring warm clothes, it gets COLD at night, much colder than in Mexico City, and the rooms don’t have the best of heating. Be sure to get enough logs for the wood burning stove, they burn up fast. If you’re really cold, ask in reception and they can provide these really tiny space heaters that heat the room pretty fast.

Keep in mind that the hotel pretty much fills up on the weekends and is mostly empty on weekdays, so plan in advance if you have to be there on a weekend.

• Liked — The view from the room
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank HollyWorton
Mexico City
Reviewed 5 October 2007

I spent just one night here after a work related off site. I arrived late while it was pouring rain. The guard took forever to find my name on the reservation list (and it is a small place) and then opened the door and told me where to park and said I had to walk down the steep hill on the stone steps. I got soaking wet. I got my key and the bellboy took me in a golf cart to retrieve my car and told me I could drive almost up to the reception building. He was great and I followed him through the narrow paths in my car to my room.

Big room, nice bed, upstairs seemed cramped which I guess is where the kids would stay. Nice bathroom.

No television. Wireless internet only at the main building (down the mountain again - forget it, it was late and I did not want to get lost). Room OK but dusty. The rain pounded on the roof of the small house and kept me up.

I woke up early and was eager to get home. It was light by 7:15 am so I drove to the main building to find it locked and I knocked on a window and woke up a sleeping employee who let me in and I checked out as I was told I was too early for breakfast.

Over US$350 for my 10 hour stay in the middle of the woods. Could be fun to stay here if one wants to do nothing but relax in the forest but service is important too.

Nice bath products but highly limited. I am glad I was alone as I used them all with one shower.

I will go back to the Avandaro the next time

• Liked — If you want to be isolated it is very pretty, otherwise you will be bored
  • Disliked — It was spacious
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Happy_on_the_road