1,257 results
All reviewsroyal sidelobsteralfredoroyal restaurantsuites poolpool sidepillow menumaster suiteribspalladium resortprivate restaurantmain resortpool barjacuzzi tubtravel cluba la cartethe mexican restaurant
995 - 1,000 of 1,257 reviews
Reviewed December 15, 2009

We didn't actually stay in the Royal Suites, we stayed in the main hotel, but it was great!
Our room was in building 1 -- it was PERFECT! Situated right between the adult-only pool and area (with a beach access, bar, etc) and the main pool and area (with a snack bar, bar, beach access, etc), our room was close to everything but was very quiet until later in the morning when both areas got busy.
The buffets were okay -- as good as any all-inclusive I've been to. The a la carte restaurants were AWESOME! "Viva Mexico" had an amazing view, wonderful waiters and GREAT food. "Bambu" (Oriental cuisine) was incredible -- fresh, made-to-order sushi made by a Japanese master who is currently teaching the hotel chefs. "Portofino", Mediterranean cuisine, wasn't our favourite, but it was still good. Every Saturday (weather permitting) there is a beach bbq which we missed, but it's supposed to be the best!
On the weekends the hotel is innundated with Mexican's and their children, so it's a bit more crowded, but the adult pool is monitored closely and is usually quiet, so the extra people don't matter too much.
Overall, a beautiful place to relax and enjoy yourself!
The hotel is about an hour by taxi from the town of Puerto Vallarta, 20 minutes by bus to the town of Bucerias and just a view minutes from the lovely beaches of Punta de Mita. If you're into checking out the towns, this hotel is a bit far away from things, but it's nice to be away from the hustle and bustle. The city bus is easy to navigate and cheap, just a long ride to things. Taxis are always available from the lobby but are more expensive.
The beach is a surfer's paradise -- kind of rocky at the shore in places, but still fun to frolic in. There is a man-made wading pool at one end of the beach, so there's always a safe and sandy place to paddle about in. Boogie boards are free to borrow and are fun in the waves!
The adult pool is an "infinity pool" -- the view is out to the ocean, never-ending.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jpenny82
Reviewed November 29, 2009

My girlfriend and I were on the way to the Bahamas and our plane was overbooked. We took the free travel but still needed somewhere to go. We decided to go to the Royal Suites Punta Mita.

Overall the hotel was ok, but the food was a huge dissappointment.

The good:
- The Royal suites is Adult only
- Private pool and beach, very nice although the beach was basically unswimmable. There is a man-made pool toward the Palladium side and the beach over there is much better for swimming.
- Room was spacious, wireless internet worked pretty well.
-Spa was cheap
-Zoo on property.
-Hammock area with beautiful view.
-Didn't skimp on drinks.
-Service was good, nice to have butlers
- Beautiful scenary, grounds well kept.
-ability to make reservations at a-la-carte restaurants

The not so good:
- FOOD - terrible. We have stayed at many 4 and 5 star resorts and the food here was easily the worst we have experienced. We expected the food at the restaurant on the Royal side to be better, it was barely edible. We were hoping for the best at the a-la-carte restaurants but they were not good either. The buffets on the Palladium side were very mediocre.
-FOOD - basically the same menu every day with minor variations. Lobster costs $40 more.
-The Royal Suites is adults only, however sometimes there were kids and people from the Palladium side as identified by different colored bands. Not a snob, but we did pay extra to be on the Royal side. Unacceptable not to enforce.
-Upon entering room, electricity did not work and the glass door to the patio would not open.

Although there were positives to the resort, the poor quality of the food easily outweighed them.

Puerto Vallarta seems nice, but I would stay at a different hotel next time.

1  Thank hmflyer
Reviewed November 27, 2009

Four of us stayed in the Royal Suites Nov 15 to 22. We initially booked the Palladium side, but found a good deal a couple months before we left. We were very glad we did. We travelled with Westjet and all went smooth. The only glitch was the transportation on the way to the resort. Our driver (NOT a westjet employee) decided to stop at a store and buy 4 beer, which he polished off 3 by the time we got there. We did report him, but we survived. At the Royal Suites, you got your own entrance and lobby. There is free internet and a bar there. Check in was easy. Rooms were very luxurious. Our suite had a jacuzzi in the middle of our room. Some rooms had it in a separate bathroom. They were very clean and looked quite new. Bathrobe and slippers, fully stocked fridge, safe and 24 hour room service. We also had a butler (glorified concierge) on the main floor. He would make restaurant reservations or take care of any problems you my have. The resort is situated on a cliff and built into the landscape. We chose this resort because of it's location and found it very beautiful. There are lots of stairs, so if you have any walking issues, you may not want to stay here. If you are staying in the Royal Suites you get priority to any restaurants. The first night we went to the beach BBQ. If you like meat, you will love this. We tryed all the restaurants but always found ourselves going back to the Royal Suites restaurant. (The rib eye is awesome) It was an open air, a la carte for all meals. The reviews about the large amount of children (on the Palladium side) were accurate, but there are some national holidays in Mexico in November, so check this out before you book. The Royal Suites (RS) side is adult only, so we never had any issues with this. As a matter of fact, there are only 96 people that can stay on this side so it never seemed crowded. We could always find a chair by the pool or beach. Sometimes my wife and I were the only ones in the pool. It was truly a very relaxing time. The beach was very picturesque but because of the rock formations, you need to be carefull in some areas. Water shoes are a good idea. Being on the RS side you also have your own private beach with bar sevice. If you like collecting shells, there are lots of smaller ones here and on the beach over to the right. The waves (on the Palladium side) were great which made for great surfing. Not that I did very well. As for the smell in other reviews, we did notice an occassional foul odor around the zoo area. But this never effected us on the RS side. We have been to Peurto Vallarta before so we never travelled there. If you want to go there it can be expensive if you take a cab. If you take a bus, it could take quite some time. If I had to complain about something, it would be that just a couple of bartenders on the RS side seemed not to be enjoying there jobs. Most bartenders there were very outgoing and seem very interested in where you're from. They make your trip more enjoyable and get the tips. Smile guys! In conclusion, we would definitely stay here again but would stick with the Royal Suites. Because there is a separate page on tripadvisor for the Palladium side, my review will be based on the Royal Suites side. Hola

3  Thank T_A_Travel
Reviewed November 23, 2009

After reading tripadvisor we did the upgrade to the Royal Suites side when we checked in. Very happy we did. The pool was great, the food was great, the service was great, the drinks were great.
We ate at Bambu one night with some friends and I didn't really like it but other people thought it was fine. We drank at the lobby bar a few night too as we had friends who were on the Palladium side (they all upgraded as the week went on). It was fun but the shows were not that great and sometimes the band was so loud you couldn't hear the person next to you. The Hemingway Bar had good liquor but it was freezing in there. However, we had premium liqor at the RS pool bar so once our friends all upgraded we stayed over there for the most part.
The upgrade cost an extra $60/night and it was well worth it. Overall the trip was a great deal on Westjet Vacations and we will go back. Westjet also provide the transportation there and back. I would recommend building 5 as it is closest to the pool and beach. We didn't have an ocean view as those are $140/night extra but that wasn't a big deal b/c we just sleep there anyway. We only used the patio to hold our floaties. Once we were up we were down to the restaurant and at the pool so no ocean view is not an issue. The beds are hard though, I would recommend bringing a thermarest to put under the sheets.
Yes the beach is rocky but not the whole beach, and when the tide is out you can go tide-pooling! It was also nice to be secluded and not be surrounded by other resorts.
The beach bbq was great. We did that 2 nights and I would recommend that. They do need to cover the cooked meat though as our ribs were cold but still delicious.
The food at the Punta Mita restaurant on the RS side was always good and service was exceptional. There is a fondue menu that you should try...especially the chocolate for dessert!
The service at the pool was excellent too. There was only one waiter on so sometimes it was faster to get your own drink but he always came around. The guacamole and salsa with hand cut chips is unbelievable...I could've lived off just that
I had 2 massages while I was there, Angelita was the best, she has good hands and got the kinks out of my neck from the stiff bed and pillows (bring your own pillow). The spa is nice and clean and pleasant front desk service. I didn't go in the jacuzzi because I heard it was cold...but so was the shower and the steam room wasn't on long enough to be steamy...no biggie.
The gym was closed while we were there because they were doing something to the floor, then painting.
The beach had vendors selling jewellery and dresses. I wasn't sure if I was getting a good deal on my silver until we went to Bucerias. We went to the market there and found the prices, although negotiable a bit higher than at the beach at our hotel. So the beach vendors are all good in my books. Just make sure you haggle a lot.
We spoke with other people who were on the Palladium side and it seemed like there were 2 different resorts. In short, do the upgrade but don't expect an ocean view or a comfy bed.

2  Thank italiancanuck
Reviewed November 19, 2009

We stayed here from Nov 10th - 17th. When we booked at travel agent, she advised us that it was a newer hotel and that we would love it. We requested a king size bed. When we got there (1hr taxi cab drive later), we were escorted to our room, which was like walking a mile just to get there. Opened the door and the "SMELL" was horrible!!! It was so musty and usually I can handle that smell, but this was just the worst. I instantly seen 2 double beds and said "No this is not what we requested" The bell boy called the front desk from our room to see if there was a king size. While he was on the phone, I went on the so called "Balcony" ya right!!! It is so small, as soon as you sit down in the plastic crappy, cigarette burned chairs, your knees hit the wall, thats how small it is, plus there is the huge brick wall that even if you wanted to sit in the nasty chairs on the balcony, you couldnt see anything. Well we got the king room just 2 doors down. IT WAS HORRIBLE!!! I read reviews before I went here and everyone said the beds were terrible, so thats the first thing I looked at and sure enough the matress is about 4 inches thick layed upon a concrete slab....no joking around here!!! The entire bed itself was about 1 foot off the ground as well as the rest of the furniture (end tables etc) I felt like I was in a elfs room. Well we decided to leave our luggage and go for a walk to look for a snack. On our way there we walked down to the pool area to get to the restraunt and there must have been 400 - 500 spanish people with 15,000 kids. Now not that I have a thing against spanish people, but being able to lay by the pool and have a conversation with someone was out of the question. On our way to the restraunt, some spanish lady was taking her child to the restroom when he decided to "relieve his bowels" if you will all up and down the walkway....YUCK, made me want to puck and do you think herself or the staff would clean it up??? NO, it was still there that night and the next morning. People were walking around it not to step in it. Now the smell was horrible. There is a zoo there which is nice for the kids, but the urine smell from this is right next to the main buffet and it just wasnt going to work. We got to the buffet and there was cold food and bugs all over it. We left and went straight to the front desk and asked how much it would be to upgrade to the Royal Suites and they told us $60 a night. We said SOLD!!!! I asked the attendent will it be a oceanview room since we originally paid extra for a ocenview with our travel agent, he stated yes, it was a very good oceanview. We went back to room, packed up luggage and headed to the Royal Suites. When we got to the room which was soooooo much better than the other side (No Smell), I went to the balcony and what did I see??? JUNGLE!!! Just a small glimpse of the ocean, I could hear it, but couldnt see it. I was disappointed AGAIN, but it was already 2hrs moving from one side to this side and I wasnt going to argue anymore.
The Royal Suites was great.!! It was well worth the money but there were issues of the electricity going off all the time which deactivated your room keys and therefore you had to go to the front desk to get new ones. One lady stopped us and asked if our electricity was going off and we said yes just a few times and she said that hers was going out every half hr on the dot. She was very upset and talked to a few others there with the same issue. The room was great. We had a flat panel tv which was better than the Palladium side that had a small old 27in tv that was nasty, burned with cigarettes. Our screen was ripped off and they had to have someone come and fix it.
All in all the Royal Suites was so much better but I dont think I will stay here again. Yes it was quite and no kids running around but I love the ocean and all the rooms except for the 4 suites, you got only jungle. The private restraunt we got served the same dinner menu everynight, so we opted to go the main buffet adn hack the urine smell. The oriental restraunt was just horrible. Then staff at all buffets and restraunts were so overwhelmed because of the population and demand of all the children. We had a massage while we were there and that was about the nicest thing of all, except the jacuzzis were ice cold water and usually they are suppose to be warm so you can relax before getting your massage. Please, reconsider going to this hotel besides the Royal Suites side. If you like the "Jungle" thats great, If you like the smell of musty, and constant urine thats great, If you like crowds and allot of noise on your vacation thats great, this hotel is just right for you, If not get over on the Royal Suites side.
Last but not least, when we finally left we had them take us to the airport and the cab that we got (Nice White Suburban) reaked of gas so bad. It was like the driver took a bath in gas. Needless to say the 1 hr drive to the airport was a sick one with all the gas fumes that we enhaled, and when we got to the airport to check in, the dogs were sniffing our bags and the attendents were taking everything out and smelling our luggage and sense NO ONE spoke english we found it hard to explain why we and our luggage smelled like that, but we got thru ok, even tho it was scary thinking we were not going to get home ok...lol
This is the first time that I have ever wrote a review, probably because I am not picky at all, you get what you pay for right? I read the reviews to hotels I go to and always complain about the "Complainers", but it is very good for future travels to know before they go to these hotels, what they are getting.

2  Thank love2travel32_9