See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I found the review regarding condo 5202 the week before leaving to stay in the condo. I admit I was a little worried and upon arrival would have to agree with the previous reviewer that it does need a little TLC. BUT overall, for the price and location, the condo is completely stayable. I went with my boyfriend for a week nov 11-18. We met some locals, drank our livers off at Brenda's twice and LOVED SAYULITA. Had I researched more, we would have stayed in Sayulita, but Punta De Mita is filled with friendly locals, stiff drinks, PLENTY of restaurants and lazy warm days.
Our best meals were at Cafe Como No and a no named carnita stand ran by a woman and her daughter right in restaurant row. We enjoyed the pool at the condo and how clean the grounds are.
The surf was flat...(according to locals the new jetty has destroyed both the beach and up close surf we were told about). BUT there are plenty of surf guides and tours to get you some waves. I would recommend Punta Di Mita for a mellow crowd. If I were to ever go back we will rent a house in Sayulita.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Curbsider
Reviewed November 28, 2011

My friend and I both surf, and we stayed in El Anclote this past Nov 17-24 hoping to score surf at the break right in front of the condos. Unfortunately, it wasn't happening during our stay, which only gives me another reason to come back (apparently it's more consistent in the winter or the summer)! And when I do, it will definitely be at this condo again. It was very clean, cute, comfortable and so convenient to everything in the town.

The air conditioning was GREAT since it was super hot the entire time we were there. We also felt very secure knowing there was 24 hour security (not that the town was dangerous - far from it! we walked around at night feeling totally at ease, and everyone you see on the street or encounter anywhere is very friendly). Our daytime guard, Francisco was so awesome, we loved him. The kitchen, though small, was well equipped and stocked. my friend took the bedroom and I slept on the sofabed in the living room. Having the videos in the living room came in handy when we both came down with a bad case of Montezuma's revenge and had to stay in all day one day. We both also loved the terra cotta floors, the shower, and of course, the BALCONY. The view literally took our breath away when we first arrived! Never got tired of that view. There is a tiny resident gecko in the property, but he's completely harmless and will even eat any bugs that might be bothersome. He only comes out at night and runs around the walls, but don't worry, he won't bother you at all.

We both also really loved the town. it was small and compact and we got to know a lot of people, especially Debo (of Debo's Cafe - great breakfasts! also loved the Cheeseburger in Paradise:) and Debo herself was a sweetheart and gave us lots of great tips). Other restaurants we liked: Margarita's (great view, with tables right on the jetty and good, strong drinks), Rocio Restaurant (best and most authentically Mexican oceanfront setting, good food) and Mariscos Tino's (AMAZING seafood spaghetti! and the sweet corn ice cream was so rich and delicious - though we felt the waiter was a bit terse).

We also got to know the boys at Accion Tropical (gracias Lalo, Ivan, Tomas and Fox), where we rented our surfboards and arranged panga trips to La Lancha - a fun, gentle wave that reminded us of San Onofre (we're both from LA). we weren't really looking to "party" so El Anclote suited us perfectly. Those in need of nightlife might do best to stay in Sayulita.

But if your main prerogative is to SURF, Punta de Mita is your best bet. We went to both beaches at Sayulita and San Pancho and were not impressed - though the towns themselves were fun and very picturesque. The best surf spots in the area are only a boat ride (or long walk) from the condo. Keep in mind though these are definitely more longboard-friendly spots, so if you're a shortboarder looking for bone-crushing surf, best to head south to Oaxaca/Puerto Escondido.

Though it's not absolutely necessary (especially if you plan to just stay in the immediate area) renting a car is great and very convenient for going to the Mega Supermercado in nearby Bucerias to stock up for your stay, and of course, do some sightseeing. The 25 minute drive to Sayulita from Punta de Mita is gorgeous, as is the drive from Sayulita to San Pancho (very green and lush). When you need things in a pinch however, the tiendas in town carry basic items like tortillas, milk, eggs, etc. I really, really loved our stay in Punta de Mita and especially loved the homey feel and convenience of this condo. Can't wait to come back!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank HolboxBound
Reviewed January 14, 2011

We recently stayed at El Anclote condos in Punta Mita. Great vacation and El Anclote was a wonderful complex. Spectacular view and meticulously maintained grounds. These are unit-owned rentals. Condo 5202 is in very poor condition and not at all as advertised. We paid top dollar for the unit and feel like we were taken advantage of by the owner/rental agents. Avoid condo 5202.

8  Thank L0uL0uise