“I feel bad for the animals in the zoo!”

Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Punta de Mita
GreenLeadersGold level
Vancouver
“I feel bad for the animals in the zoo!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

This is a gorgeous resort for those who want to get away from it all! I enjoyed the amenities and the service was terrific. The only negative comment I have is that the animals in the zoo do not have adequate space, some of them seemed stressed, and it is so noisy for them with loud music playing from noon until 2 am. I adored the monkeys; however, their enclosure should be much larger with access to trees. The bunnies should have grass instead of dirt on the ground, and their house is tiny and metal. The bird of prey can fly only a few feet, and one of the ostriches looks ill. The badgers broke my heart, pacing ceaselessly in their miniscule pen. I felt bad every time I passed by the animals. Their pens were clean, and they had fresh food each day, but with the income that resort generates, the animals should have much better accomodations.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa S
AnaMCastro, General Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Dear Lisa,
First of all, thank you for taking the time to write here your comments about your last stay in Grand Palladium Vallarta. I am really glad you enjoyed your vacations with us.
Regards your concerning about our little zoo, let me explain you that our hotel is certificated with an environmental program called “Earth Check” that means we need to follow some standards about several items like recycling, support community, etc. Once of them is that if we have some animals, we need to follow strictest rules about their care. All of them are supervised by an external company monthly and the national government. All the animals were rescued from different injuries or situations. We will really take note about your comments and we will take special attention to that area in order to improve it as better as we can.
We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and make your stay nothing but a pleasure experience again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (878)
Winnipeg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

My family of four (2 adults, 2 children under 12) stayed at the Grand Palladium for a week at the end of March. We read many of the reviews leading up to our departure and we were somewhat worried by some of the very negative ones. This was our first family excursion to an "all-inclusive" so we wanted to know we were in for a good experience. Well, to sum it up in only a few words -- the week was fantastic -- well beyond what we were actually expecting. Was it perfect? No. But what experience in life is? I swallowed most of a big wave, my kid got a sunburnt nose, the room was rather hot at night due to the standard set temperature and sometimes there weren't any pain au chocolat left at the buffet. Did that matter? Not a bit. I highly, highly suggest this resort for a family get-away. Apart from its natural beauty, it was extremely well maintained, the staff were always (and I mean always) polite and willing to share a smile, there was always a choice of food (some things better than others -- but I say, if I don't have to make it or clean up after it, what have I got to complain about?), the kids club was brilliant for my 11 year old, I got to do yoga on the beach in the morning (!) and the stairs were exactly what was needed after laying like a whale in the sun for several hours. And how could you not like being able to see a rescued monkey suck its foot thumb or a peacock strut in for a french fry at the pool restaurant? We did notice some other people having "issues," but it was very apparent it was the patrons with the issues, not the resort staff. A positive attitude attracts positive energy, yes? The resort was only half full and we loved that there were so many Mexican families enjoying each other's company. We loved the Palladium so much, we are already planning to return next spring. Go for it and enjoy!

Room Tip: Ask for an even numbered room in Building 1. You're guaranteed an ocean view and it's close...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Harry B
Dear Harry B.
Thank you for your report about your last stay in Grand Palladium Vallarta.I was very pleased to read all the positive comments you had for us. We appreciate the feedback you have provided regarding our staff service and the other service that we have. Once again thank you for your feedback and please let us know if you decide to come back to our property. We will take care about your reservation
Best regards
peterborough
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

My husband and I just returned from the Grand Palladium Vallarta and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We feel you would be hard pressed to find vistas such as this, quite breath taking. The only restaurant we did was the buffet and if you can't find something you like to eat then perhaps you are better staying home. The beach barbeque was fantastic and the sports bar was a great spot for a late night snack. They say the resort is not for anyone who has any mobility issues and I highly agree, there are a lot of steps to get from one spot to another and you will certainly get a work out. Besides the people we met I have to say the staff is really what made our holiday. Front desk staff were extremely accomodating, always with a smile. Hector and the waiters (sorry can't remember all the names) were very professional, always with a big smile and a cheerful disposition. Entertainment down in the main bar in the evening was very, very good. The bartender Mateus (hope that is correct spelling, my husband says to tell him Volare!), Francesca and Vanessa absolutely brilliant!! Please let them know we said hello and will not forget them. If I had a complaint with respect to this hotel it would be the beds, we found them a little bit too firm. The rooms are very, very nice but it would be lovely to see some of the Mexican flavour brought back into them, sometimes I felt like I was waking up in a downtown Toronto hotel room, but again, they were very nice and the maids did a fantastic job. In closing, if management is reading this review will you please pass our prayers to the family of the worker who fell during the week we were their, we hope the collection that was taken up helps his wife and children in some some way. Once again, thank you for a extremely nice holiday and we hope to see you again soon. Please, tell Mateus, Francesca and Vanessa that Annie and Paul send their wishes.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PAK1Peterborough
Dear Pak1Peterborough,
First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write here your comments about your last stay in Grand Palladium Vallarta. You can be sure that we will congratulate to the staff you kindly mentioned and we will let them know that their efforts to obtain our guests satisfaction have been well received.
Regarding your comment about our worker, you can be sure we will send your wishes to his family. Thank you for your concern and for your help. I am very sure all the collected thru you and our other guests will really help to his family.
We are very happy and proud to hear that you really enjoy our resort. Thank you for your good comments and if you decide to come back in a future do not hesitate to contact us.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

I literally just got back yesterday at 5AM and I have decided to write this review based on my experience and the fact that this hotel has such mixed reviews.

To sum up: I went with a friend, we are 24 and 25, and we had the time of our lives. This is an unbelievable resort and we are already planning our next trip back. Any problem we ran into was resolved with utmost professionalism from Sunquest and resort management.

Leaving Toronto, we flew Thomas Cook, which was quite unpleasant. They seemed extremely unorganized. Every question we had for one of the flight attendants, whether it be what time we land or if they serve gingerale, she had absolutely no idea.

We landed and were warned by the pilot of the people selling time shares once we got through customs. We didn't get hounded by a single one, probably because of our ages. They were targeting people who seemed to be in the retirement bracket.

There were 150 people from our flight who were going to the hotel, so Sunquest had three buses waiting for us. We managed to get on the first bus and had a pleasant ride over. They provided us with forms to fill out to ensure that the check-in went by faster. We found this to be a very bright and useful idea!

When we got to the resort we all lined up at the front desk and everything went by quickly. We confirmed our Junior Suite and were given the keys to our room in the building one. We attempted to take our own bags by the hotel staff demanded the bell boys take it the first time.

Upon arrival to our room, we hit the first and only damper on our vacation. We booked a junior suite with two queen size beds, to find one kind size bed, a suitcase missing, and the room honestly smelt like a sewage pipe burst. We decided to not get upset on our first night and went to grab dinner after letting the hotel know a bag was missing. We returned to the lobby to speak with the manager on duty about the initial issues. We found him to initially be extremely rude. After a lengthy discussion he blamed Sunquest for the lost bag, said the room probably didn't smell, and rudely suggested that one of us sleep on the couch. While we decided to be nice at first, this last request was extremely ridiculous. He claimed the hotel was booked, which was the furthest thing from the truth. We were extremely insulted that he would be so rude and gave him two options 1) He can upgrade at the hotels expense expense OR 2) Fly us back to Toronto that night at their own expense. He seemed shocked at those suggestions and only began taking us seriously when I told him that we would make sure to write a great review about on Trip Advisor and make sure to be in touch with the higher echelons of The Fiesta Group.

Low and behold after threatening a bad review on Trip Advisor, we were upgraded to the Royal Suites that were just reopened two months ago. We were not looking for an upgrade initially, only what we paid for, but we became much more agressive after such awful customer service.

THIS WAS THE ONLY BUMP ON OUR ENTIRE VACATION!

We got to our new room to find it didn't smell, we had 24 hour room service, and premium alcohol in the room - as well as a jacuzzi.

The next morning the hotel staff found our bag, as it was brought to the wrong room and profusely apologized.

The Resort: Both sides are beautiful. The Royal side is unbelievable and no other guests are allowed to enter its premises unless you were staying there. It is adults only, has a private restaurant and pool and was extremely quiet. Day or night it was like walking through a library. The beach on both sides was far from appealing. It is extremely rocky and the waves were huge. We preferred to stay by the pool. The resort is 45 minutes from the airport and PVR itself but we found this to be a bonus as this isn't your typical 'concrete jungle' resort. The rooms on the Royal Side were fine. Anybody who complains about the bed making noises doesn't know what they're talking about. We slept fine and you can order 5 different types of pillows to your room for free!

The Food: We found the food to be unbelievable for a 4.5 (and 5 star - The Royal) all inclusive resort. There was a significant amount of options at every meal. The restaurants were also incredible, especially Portofino - the Italian restaurant. We didn't particularly like Bambo the Asian restaurant.

Activities: There is a lot to do at the hotel including the Zoo on site which we found pretty neat. We took a free surfing lesson and found the instructor to be awesome.

Excursions: We did three excursions: 1) Scuba Diving - don't waste your time when it's Winter in Mexico. We barely saw anything. 2) ATV'ing - was absolutely out of this world. It included a tequila tasting and we went through the mountains which was quite the site. 3) Swimming the the dolphins - a little pricey but out of this world! We will never forget it!

The Staff: We agree with what most people said - the staff truly make this resort! We regret that we only ended up going to the show the last night we were there because it was absolutely phenomenal. The staff are so friendly and kind. You'd think the dancers just came off the show "So You Think You Can Dance". They are extremely talented... especially Allie! It's not often you find someone who is truly passionate about their job and he truly sticks out as the best dancer at the resort. This resort is extremely lucky to have such wonderful staff. They went out of their way to interact with the guests.

In conclusion: We are already planning our next trip back in September and couldn't think of anywhere else to go. The staff and management were so grateful and thankful for our stay that when we left they told us that they better see us again soon!

The flight home with Thomas Cook was another joke. The flight attendant wouldn't shut up the entire flight and sounded like she was reading off a sheet of paper. She was obviously new because when going over the emergency procedures she actually said: "In the LIKELY event that the plane lands on water...."

I hope you found this review helpful. This is one of those resorts that you should visit before everyone finds out how amazing it truly is! It shouldn't be rated 6 out of 9 in Punta De Mita but a 1 out of 9!!!!!

We'd like to thank all the staff and management for making our stay truly phenomenal!

Best,

Sam and Jesse
Room 5002
March 30th to April 6th 2012

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Royal side.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank Sam K
JulioCA, Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Dear Sam & Jose:

First of all I want to thank you for sharing with us your all experience in our Resort with details since you arrived until the end, I am sure all your advises will help our visitors in the hard decision of selecting Hotel for their vacations, we are very pleasant to know that you enjoyed the time in our adults section, and at the same time to inform you that Fiesta Group as a corporate company it is very interested in receiving all the feed backs from our Guest in order to improve in a better service all the time.

We hope you gave us the opportunity to welcome you back in our Resort and in case if you need any assistance do not hesitate to let me know,

Best regards,
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

We had a really great hoilday week in Grand palladium vallarta.
we are a couple of 28 years old people and wanted a sunny escape in a calm and relaxed place. We were not disappointed at all. everything was beyond expectations :
- location : unique and quiet. far from the puerto vallarta touristic and ugly environnement. On the punta de mita, you feel definitely zen! the beach is beautiful, the sea is clean! the landscape you see from the beach is very natural and quiet.
-hotel : very charming achitecture. large and clean rooms, nice view . every room as a balcony.
-food : soooooo good. especially the mexican restaurant with the sunset view. very romantic. and the food is very tasty, and the service excellent. a must do. we tried the other restaurants, they were all very good and clean, a lot of variety but the mexican restaurant was our favorite!
-activities : plenty! the people of palladium (staff) are always smiling and helpfull.
it was our FIRST all inclusive holidays, a great time. we will definitely come back.
we met many people at the hotel who came back there for the 7th or 8th time!
no need to say that their comments worth all the reviews!

we did a day trip on our own to puerto vallarta. and when we saw all the buildings along the beach, with the busy road behing these big hotels, we were soooooo happy to have chosen the Grand Palladium vallarta! much more quiet and unique place. that's what you want for your holidays!
the beach in puerto vallarta dowtown doesn't seem as clear as the one in punta de mita ( grand palladium).
hope this review will help you in your holidays choice !
have a great time

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MARINE b
Dear Marine B.
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review on our hotel. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service and our product.
I appreciate your positive notes about the hotel and I was very happy to read that you liked the all inclusive concept in our hotel. I appreciate too the feedback you have provided regarding our food and beverage offerings. For us it is so important to know our guests opinions in order to improve our service day to day.
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012 via mobile

We stayed with the Palladium at the end of March 2012. Enjoyed our stay. We enjoyed the catamaran sail -thanks to Fernado. A Great way to get some perspective on the bay and the resort. We also made use of the surf lesson when the waves were smaller. Pepe was fantastic and took his time to ensure our girls were each able to get up. Both very knowledgable about the water and we felt completely safe.
We went to Buccerios for a shopping excursion which was worth the trip. Found some nice items not seen on the resort. We were able to negotiate the prices as the vendors wanted sales.
A little known room tip - you can order movies to your room for free. Limited availability but good for that night when you need to curl up early.
We loved the sports bar and was glad it was family friendly. Spent some time in Hemmingways with Giovanni who was so much fun.
Beach volleyball was really fun and we appreciated getting to play nearly each day.
Our sunquest rep offered a few tours which included transportation from the hotel which was a really good deal.
We had great treatment from the staff during our stay and found the resort to be well organized and cared for. The nightly live music was great and usually out shone the show.
We have travelled south annually for some time. Found this resort to have excellent beach and ocean activities. Food was average, rooms were fine, pools were good, spa was very nice with reasonable prices. Many facilities and bars to visit so you could change things up. Appreciated the wifi - but is dail up so don't attempt to do anything much more then email. We could even get wifi in our room from time to time near the adult pool!
We would have liked a few more days...weather was so great! Thanks for the great stay!

Stayed March 2012
1 Thank J H
dtoradjuntoayb, Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Dear J H,

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for all the great comments that you made about our resort and especially about our staff, and for taking the time to explain the services to other possible visitors. Our commitment is to provide the best service and attention at all times to our guests.

Thanks again for your comments about our services and if I can help you in any way or you decide to come back to Grand Palladium Vallarta please, let us know, in order to grant you the best attentions.

Kind regards,
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

This was our first all inclusive trip, as well as the first time to Mexico. Right from the start we were pleasantly surprised by the resort, the rooms, the food and the people. We went from March 30th - April 6th, 2012 and had great weather the whole time.

The rooms were just recently renovated so when we opened the door to our suite, we were amazed! The bathroom was floor to ceiling marble with a gigantic jet tub! It's an eco-friendly place so there were many great energy saving touches throughout the place. When you put your room card into a slot by the door once you walk in, the lights are activated. The sliding patio door has a sensor so when it's opened, the air turns off in your room.

I really liked how lush and green the resort grounds were. There is a fair amount of walking, but it has beautiful scenery and exceptional landscaping. They also have a zoo which houses animals that can not go back into the wild. It is great to know that the animals are not just solely there for the tourists to look at, but is in fact a habitat for rescued animals!

Restaurants were good, but portions were sometimes small, so a lot of times we'd end up at the buffet to fill up, or go later in the night when we got hungry. Some of us actually liked the buffet food better than the restaurants.

It wasn't too busy when we went so we didn't have to make reservations to go eat at the specialty restaurants, except for the beach BBQ. We tried to go to all of the places...the Mexican themed one was great, they make excellent guacamole right at your table!

We went into town (Buceris) with a great taxi driver named Seoul (spelling?) who stayed with the 10 of us and walked around the flea market while we shopped. When we were ready he drove us back to the resort. We went again a few days later and went looking for him to take us again! You can find him just outside the security kiosk of the resort. He was extremely courteous and made us feel extremely safe. He answered all our questions about Mexico, we felt like we had our own personal tour guide! We highly recommend him.

We met a lot of great people, mostly Canadians there at the resort like us:) We would definitely go back again and definitely recommend it to our family and friends!

We upgraded to the Royal Suites the last few days of our stay for half price. The rooms there are bigger - but seem older. Our room had an adjoining door, so we could hear the hair dryer going, or the shower running. The bed was softer, but I think that was because all the beds in the other buildings were new since the renovation.

(Our old room was in building 1, right on the end corner, top floor, over looking the adult pool and ocean, best view in the place! We couldn't hear our neighbours or anything, it was really quiet.)

The Royal Suites section has a pool, restaurant and bar. It is quieter and more relaxed over on that side, so if you want entertainment, loud music etc....you just have to go over the other side, which is not far, for the theatre, dicso, sports bat etc...

The Royal Suites side has exceptional food, a chef inspired menu, so the presentation, quality and taste of the food was divine! Similar to going to a high end restaurant at home, but you get that for breakfast, lunch and dinner! We were awed by the food, even the snacks served to you poolside with your drinks were amazing! It was worth the upgrade in food alone to go and experience the Royal Suites section!! We were glad to be there and relax for the last two days of our stay there.

The bar tenders there are great. One in particular, Marcelino, came up to us poolside and introduced himself upon starting his shift. We really appreciated the personal touches each person had there towards us, very thoughtful and considerate.

There was not one thing that could have been improved on there, we were highly satisfied with our vacation and can not wait to go back!!! Again, a highly underrated resort for the price and quality of service you will get. Many people we met said they've traveled a lot to many places and this by far was the best resort they've been to! We agree!

Room Tip: The place was just recently renovated so all the rooms are awesome! For families go to building 2 or...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JZHART
Dear Jenzede,

Thank you for your kind words and feedback, very much appreciated. I will pass to our staff your comments about the food and the service. These comments help and give motivation to the personal and to improve our service day to day. Our commitment is to provide the best service and attention at all times to our guests. We are really glad that you and your group enjoyed your stay and had such a nice impression of our resort and we look forward to welcome you again!

Thanks again and if there is anything further we can do from this end, please, just let us know.

Kindest regards,
#8 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,413 reviews
0.2 km away
The Royal Suites Punta de Mita by Palladium

Been to Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!