“Beautiful gallery”
Review of Galeria Lamanai

Galeria Lamanai
Ranked #2 of 4 Shopping in Akumal
More attraction details
Owner description: Lamanai was created at the beginning of the 90's as a promotional and sales project for Mexican Folk Art in the Caribbean, from Cancun to Belize. Pre Columbian Art was originally a popular creation that had a specific social function, which has perhaps disappeared through time, yet the desire of the artists that create it lingers on. Improvisation, personality, feeling, and incredible human ability are the qualities that characterize theseartists and artisans whose roots lay in Folk Art. Throughout the years, we have been able to assemble a good working team that has allowed us to expand the original concept, and seek new horizons. In 1999 a little gallery was opened on the Caribbean shoreline, in the beautiful bay of Akumal.
Reviewed 4 June 2017

We have just returned from a 3 week stay in Akumal. My only regret from the whole trip was not finding this shop sooner, and then not bringing home as many things as I would have liked. This is by far the most beautiful gallery with the highest quality work that we saw during our entire stay, including traveling to Holbox,, and day trips to Tulum, Puerta Aventuras, Playa and Cancun. This is not a "souvenir" shop, though they have many pieces that would make wonderful gifts or just reminders of a visit to Mexico. Do not expect to bargain with them regarding prices, you would not bargain in a gallery at home - these are lovely pieces of artwork, in a variety of mediums - Oaxacan carvings, paintings, mixed media pieces, textiles, jewelry, among others. I bought two small Oaxacan painted animals, a wooden Virgin, a beautifully crafted dream catcher, and some prints on cloth. As I said, I wish I would have brought more home with me. The staff was friendly, helpful and knowledgeable about the art and the artists. I can't wait to return to Akumal, and this will be a frequent stop.

Lamaluch, Owner at Galeria Lamanai, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2017

Thank you so much for visiting! We are looking forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Akumal :-)

Reviewed 4 January 2017

Stopped in here after snorkeling with turtles because it looked interesting from the outside. They had a tree of handmade coffee mugs hanging outside the door and i fell in love with them. There is a sign before you go in that states no trying to negotiate cheaper prices as they are what is stated. The little shop is filled to the brim with all kinds of native crafts which are amazing. The staff can tell you from which region the piece was made. They had so many unique items, pretty expensive but one of a kind items! We bought a couple of coffee mugs just because they were unusual and unique. I would recommend stopping in for sure.

2  Thank peggy d
Reviewed 20 December 2016

This shop is the place to go for REAL Mexican crafts and products. They have an excellent selection of fine quality products from around Mexico.
Oaxacan rugs and woven products, Alebrijes, the carved and painted animals from the Oaxaca state, baskets and folk art, Day of the Dead products and so many other things. It takes a good long time to look at everything in the shop. The staff are extremely helpful and knowledgeable. If you are looking for something authentic and original to take home as a gift or souvenir this is the place to shop.

2  Thank nroe
Reviewed 18 October 2016 via mobile

Shopping was nice with friendly staff. The challenge (at least in October) was the limited number of stores to peruse (maybe 10 total) and so while my wife would have liked to spend more time looking, we had worked our way through all of them in an hour or so.

Reviewed 26 April 2016

I've been to Galeria Lamanai several times and I have to say it is my favorite place to find good quality Mexican folk art that goes beyond a souvenir. Although most pieces are expensive I understand the value that the artist talent deserves. Every time I've visited Akumal this is a must stop for me.

2  Thank Mariasol D