“Great”
Review of Galeria Lamanai

Galeria Lamanai
Ranked #2 of 4 Shopping in Akumal
More attraction details
Owner description: Lamanai was created at the beginning of the 90's as a promotional and sales project for Mexican Folk Art in the Caribbean, from Cancun to Belize. Pre Columbian Art was originally a popular creation that had a specific social function, which has perhaps disappeared through time, yet the desire of the artists that create it lingers on. Improvisation, personality, feeling, and incredible human ability are the qualities that characterize theseartists and artisans whose roots lay in Folk Art. Throughout the years, we have been able to assemble a good working team that has allowed us to expand the original concept, and seek new horizons. In 1999 a little gallery was opened on the Caribbean shoreline, in the beautiful bay of Akumal.
Reviewed 13 September 2017

Best selection of quality folk art in Akumal, and not really all that expensive. People working here are usually very pleasant. Can be hard to find open.

Reviewed 31 August 2017

Best ART ever! Not that trashy touri-things.....real great art for good Money!
It is always closed from August 15th- october 15th, that is really very sad!

Reviewed 4 August 2017 via mobile

This was hands-down, the best art shop we had the pleasure of visiting on our trip to Tulum. We were lucky enough to stumble upon this painting called "Yolotjil" which means "Heart" is Aztec. We are heading back to Tulum in Oct 2017 and will be paying this location another visit! See you in a couple months!

Reviewed 6 July 2017

I have been shopping in Galeria Lamanai for many years, and love all of the wonderful and truly high quality pieces that they offer.
This is not your usual tourism trinkets, it is wonderful works of art and handcrafting.
Year after year, this is on my list and the place where I always buy a special piece of Mexico to bring home.

Reviewed 4 June 2017

We have just returned from a 3 week stay in Akumal. My only regret from the whole trip was not finding this shop sooner, and then not bringing home as many things as I would have liked. This is by far the most beautiful gallery with the highest quality work that we saw during our entire stay, including traveling to Holbox,, and day trips to Tulum, Puerta Aventuras, Playa and Cancun. This is not a "souvenir" shop, though they have many pieces that would make wonderful gifts or just reminders of a visit to Mexico. Do not expect to bargain with them regarding prices, you would not bargain in a gallery at home - these are lovely pieces of artwork, in a variety of mediums - Oaxacan carvings, paintings, mixed media pieces, textiles, jewelry, among others. I bought two small Oaxacan painted animals, a wooden Virgin, a beautifully crafted dream catcher, and some prints on cloth. As I said, I wish I would have brought more home with me. The staff was friendly, helpful and knowledgeable about the art and the artists. I can't wait to return to Akumal, and this will be a frequent stop.

Lamaluch, Owner at Galeria Lamanai, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2017

Thank you so much for visiting! We are looking forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Akumal :-)