1,850 results
All reviewslocal hostquiet poolroom servicespa treatmentsdinner reservationssignature massagebrick oven pizzain room diningswim up roomocean frontvolcanic stonelegendary membersla escondidathe mexican restaurantall inclusive resortfiletpool servers
Reviewed September 21, 2017

My husband and I stayed here for 5 days at the beginning of Sept. We stayed in a swim up room and loved it. Since we were going for 8 days I was afraid to book here for more than 5 of them because I was thought I might get bored. So we split our trip between Unico and The Royal.
We spent a lot of time at the spa and loved every treatment we had. Taking advantage of the discounts now being offered has probably spoiled both of us for our future vacations. They all were great and made this trip very special!
The resort, food and staff were all spectacular. The amount of loungers by the pool made sleeping in really nice. It was great not having to get up early to save a spot. Except for a few of the smaller resorts we have stayed in, I have never seen anything like this.
The dress code is a big plus. Packing was so much easier and my husband was able to be comfortable in the heat. There were those that really dressed up and those that didn't and no one seemed to take advantage of the situation and showed up for dinner really sloppy.
There is only suggestion I could make. There is no place to hang your wet clothes in the bathroom. If there was I missed it. Minor thing.
There are so many great reasons to stay here and most have been stated before. But if you are on the fence, like I was, just go ahead and book. I don't think you will be disappointed.
I can't wait to return!!!!

Room Tip: Loved our swim up room!
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sunset777
Fernando_Garcia2087, Director General at UNICO 20°N 87° Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2017

Dear sunset777,

Thank you kindly for the lovely comments!

We are the only hotel in the Riviera Maya to offer these amazing benefits for you to indulge in, I’m glad to know you really made the most of it.

It brings me joy to know that both you and your husband truly enjoyed the relaxed concept of UNICO 20° 87°; we aimed to redefine the all-inclusive experience and reflect the local culture in every aspect.

I’m happy to know you will be returning and it cannot be soon enough! It is always a pleasure to host wonderful people like yourself.

Reviewed September 21, 2017

This was my second trip this year to Unico 20.87! The rooms are beautiful, the service is excellent, and the food is great! The staff ROCKS! You also have the option of downloading an app on your phone to utilize the services. So convenient!!! The best and most unique part of the hotel is the inclusions! Services for 20% tax price only, blowouts for 10 bucks.. Yes, $10.00 blowouts! The spa is absolutely amazing! The signature massage has two people working on you in unison. Four hands massaging your every muscle. It’s hard to even come home and get a massage after you experience that. You have a personal butler no matter what room you stay in. You get treated like absolute royalty! The resorts deco and check in process beats anywhere I have ever stayed. It has numerous restaurants, the Asian being my favorite. I recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a new neat experience in Rivera Maya!

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with the room choices at Unico!
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank glasgowbl
Fernando_Garcia2087, Director General at UNICO 20°N 87° Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2017

Dear glasgowbl,

I'm thrilled to read that this was your second visit to UNICO 20° 87° in just a year! Thank you for sharing such a nice review with us.

We agree, our anfitrions rock, they are experts in providing the traditional warm service that is so characteristic of Mexico in a professional, unique way. I'm glad you enjoyed our Unlimited Inclusions, we are the only hotel in the entire Riviera Maya to offer benefits like these.

It brings me much joy to read that you describe UNICO as a new neat experience, and that you delighted fully in everything we have to offer.

It will be a pleasure to host you again and we hope you come back for your third visit very soon!

Reviewed September 21, 2017

My husband and I enjoyed UNICO but...
The hotel in itself was beautifully designed and the staff was lovely. The restaurants were good even though the Mexican one needs some attention to the menu. The real disappointment came in the entertainment!!!!! After a couple of days it gets very boring to stay on property. It seems like the only outlet is the Palmera Lounge but what we saw there did not match the luxury level of the rest. There is a real opportunity to wow the guests but the whole thing seemed like an after thought. I recommend UNICO but have a plan B and C to leave the property

Room Tip: ask for ocean view
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank pamelawalky1

Dear pamelawalky1,

Thank you sharing your comments with us, it is always great to read constructive feedback from our guests.

I'm glad to read that you loved the property so much! The design of the hotel is directly inspired by the rich character of Riviera Maya, and incorporates many natural and handmade materials sourced within the area and artwork made by Mexican artists and crafters.

I am disappointed to know you did not enjoy the entertainment; while we are of course working on improving it, there is plenty to do at the hotel; we recently added two new shows, Pachanga and Palmera Live, as well as Salsa lessons to our nightly entertainment schedule, and are of course constantly looking for innovative activities that will suit the concept of UNICO 20° 87° and showcase the beauty and wealth of Mexican culture.

We can’t wait to have you back and show you all the improvements we are working on!

Reviewed September 21, 2017

Very impressed with the whole experience. We booked this trip on Southwest get away deals at the last minute Every person that we had any contact with was great to deal with. The staff was friendly and more than willing to help with any thing we needed. The room was always clean, the resort grounds were well kept and the food was great. No problems getting wifi and there were no bug problems.
I would suggest this resort to any couple that wanted to get away.

Room Tip: beach front was great and will be quieter
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dusty6577

Dear dusty6577,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us and for the recommendation!

I'm happy to know you were so impressed with the UNICO experience; our mission is to share how proud we are of our region by offering a unique service and we mean to do that through and through.

We certainly hope to see you back here very soon, it will be a pleasure to host you again!

Reviewed September 20, 2017

This was our first stay at Unico 2087. We have stayed at the same AI in Playacar for the past 11 years. Even flying in I was starting to doubt my decision to stay outside of Playacar or with a different resort chain. Needless to say I worried for nothing, it was an amazing and relaxing vacation. We did not have to wait long after exiting the airport before we were on our way in a SUV (not private - with another couple headed to Unico) with a cooler of refreshments. Upon arrival we were checked in, picked our room scent and introduced to our local host who escorted us to the room.

Resort and property: It is nice and new. Well manicured landscaping and much larger property than I expected. Everything was well maintained inside and out.

Room: The rooms were fantastic. We had an ocean front room on the fourth floor. The bathroom was large with two sinks, separate water closet and a rain shower. The bed and bedding was comfortable. The balcony was large and included a large soaking tub, couch and table. The view was amazing. The toiletries were well stocked including tooth brush kit, shaving kit, soap, shampoo, conditioner, shower cap, sewing kit, shoe cleaner, etc. The mini bar was stocked daily with soft drinks, water, beer, Gatorade, wine and various snacks. We enjoyed the blue tooth speaker in the room so that we could stream music. Housekeeping was great as was our local host. We did not utilize him much but Oscar always seemed to find us at the pool or beach to see if we needed anything. We ordered room service twice and they were spot on, good food and fast service.

Gym: The gym was larger than I expected and offered classes throughout the week (load the app). There was a good selection of equipment, towels, water, fruit etc. and was always staffed. The only issue I had was that it is too hot. This is a preference for me, I prefer it to be cooler in the gym and understand that some like it hot.

Spa: The spa was nice, not my thing. The manicure/ pedicure area was pretty large without much privacy. The massage area was nice, only issue I could see is that I had to go up stairs to enter my room. This would be a problem for anyone that could not climb steps. They had a quiet pool area, locker room with amenities and a hydrotherapy room.

Beach: We were very fortunate that the beach was pretty most of the week. We did not have an issue with rocky bottom and they had equipment out raking the beach a couple of times each day. There are chairs on opposite ends of the property and three foot bridges over the landscaping to get to them. What a view as you cross the bridge!! Full service was available on the beach. We ate lunch on the beach every day except for the first day. The service was great from the wait staff and the beach concierge Alexandro. Cristian, Gerardo and Luis made sure we were well fed, hydrated and enjoying our time. We spent a good part of each day on the beach due to the view and fantastic service. Thanks to Luis for the fantastic fish tacos that he brought to us on our last day, they were amazing! Thanks to Cristian, Alejandro and Gerardo for setting us up with a little quiet place on the beach, chatting with us and the 10 star service.

Food: This was the best food I have had at an AI.

20 87: We ate at 20 87 once at lunch and every for breakfast except for our last day. The food was good for breakfast, but the serving area is way too small. Lines would back up and criss-cross and it was very confusing to figure out where to order made-to-order food vs the buffet. There was a good variety for breakfast, but I would not want to be here during high-season unless they had somewhere else open. We ate lunch here on the first day and after travelling and being tired it seemed very chaotic to order food. With that being said, one morning and manager asked us if we would like anything special. He had the chef prepare Huevos Montelanos and the chef came out to the table (thanks Cristan E.), it was fantastic!

Pool area: You could order food from the main pool area, the quiet pool area and they had a terrific brick oven pizza in the center. The variety on the menu was pretty good from salads, sandwiches, Mayan chicken (favorite), whole fish, appetizers, etc.. The pizza was fantastic as was the bar.

Cueva Sieta: My favorite, we ate here three times and it did not disappoint. The menu was good and they had specials each night. We were seated with Jimmy each night and he was fantastic with wine and food recommendations and great service. He took us out back and showed us the pit that was used to cook the Cochinita Pibil (delicious) and the steaks were amazing!

Mura House: I am not a big Asian food fan so I will keep this short. We tried the hibachi table and the regular menu. I did not care for either. Service was good. One thing I will mention is that the chairs were too short for the table or the table was too tall for the chairs. We were directly behind the sushi bar and it was kind of awkward.

Mi Carisa: This is the Italian restaurant. The food was very good, the appetizer bread was made fresh. The service was a bit pretentious (managers and staff) and not overly friendly the first visit. The second was a little better, but this restaurant in particular seems to be in a rush to get you in and out. The location is neat as you have to walk on bridge over water to get to it. As with Cueva Sieta, the steak was cooked perfectly. Other dishes were very good and small portions, perfect for us!

Pool bars/ chairs: Service was excellent here. Most staff would know your favorites after a day. The wait staff and bar staff were fast and good. There is a good variety of beer, wine and top shelf spirits. Johnny was always making up good drinks at the main pool bar and the wait staff was always helpful. It was always good to see Bernice’s smiling face each day around the pool.

Room service - Very good, very efficient. They have a very good variety considering it is a 24 hour operation.

Overall -- I was more than happy with our experience and glad we choose this resort. Looked at booking another one this fall already! The staff I mentioned in this post truly made it a memorable and relaxing vacation.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, ocean front.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
7  Thank BL2Travel
Fernando_Garcia2087, Director General at UNICO 20°N 87° Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2017

Dear Dilsnick,

Thank you for writing such a delightful review, it’s an honor to know that you chose to stay with us over the resorts you we accustomed to and that you loved it so much that you will come back!

It’s wonderful to read about your stay and know you could experience UNICO fully; we aim to showcase the beauty and richness of the region and of course the Mexico we are so incredibly proud of through every part of the hotel. The cuisine, the mixology, the design, the Spa and every detail of UNICO 20° 87° were thought and created so we could immerse every person that walks in the property in our culture in a relaxed, luxurious way.

I will certainly thank and congratulate on your behalf the mentioned anfitrions for the fantastic service they provided and will pass on your suggestions and observations to our team managers so they can improve on those details you brought to our attention.

We look forward to seeing you again this fall, it cannot be soon enough!

UNICO 20°87°