Our family of four (Mom, Dad, two daughters - ages 13 and 15) stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe Akumal from April 14th to 21st, 2012. We DID NOT want to return home! We flew with Air Transat and booked with Nolitours. It was a good flight with good service.
Upon check in, we discovered that our emailed requests had either not be received or just not acknowledged. We did not have an ocean view on the third floor with 2 adjoining rooms as requested. We were given 2 rooms with one king size bed in each room. Since I did not want my daughters staying alone in a room, I stayed with them (3 gals in a king size bed) and my husband stayed alone in the other room. We were in building 54. Avoid it at all costs!!! There is a terrible septic smell which gets worse as the day goes on. Before accepting the rooms 5403 and 5404 in this building, we requested to be changed to an ocean view room. We were told that there would be 2 rooms available on Monday in building 48.... 4822 and 4824; however, they were not side by side with adjoining doors either. In fact, there was a room in between. So again, us 3 girls stayed together and hubby stayed alone. We paid an extra $40 per night for the 2 rooms. These rooms had a wonderful view, the AC did work in these rooms, but my husband had a very musty smell in his room. A couple of days later, we found out why. During a heavy rain, the roof started leaking in 4822..... badly! We reported it and were offered to change rooms. It wasn't worth the bother with only 2 nights left. These were minor issues to us! The positive far out-weighed the negative.
The Restaurants: Anyone who complains about any of them should stay home and cook for themselves!! They offered top notch food and excellent service. The Akumal buffet was massive with soooooooo many choices!! If you go, look for a table in the higher middle section. Manuel was our favorite waiter!!! He was so kind, thoughtful and attentive in every way!! He reserved a table for us for breakfast and lunch. Tip him well!! He works very hard!!
The Beach: Beautiful, warm water! The Caribbean Sea is absolutely wonderful with small fish swimming around you!! It is so refreshing to walk into the water during a hot day! If you want a lounge chair, be early!! But we always found a couple... after a while.
The Pools: Beautiful, clean, awesome! What's not to love?? Reserve a chair by 8:00 am at least, but only if you are going to use it!
Housekeeping: Good for the most part. We left a couple of dollars every day and a little gift a couple of days. We always had clean towels and extras when we requested them.
The Entertainment: They work very hard! Don't expect Broadway, but they do put on a good show. I question whether teenagers and kids should go. The dancing girls do a lot of "movin' and groovin;" just put a few polls there and you would change the atmosphere. I didn't really enjoy that part of the show. The main singers were very good as well as the rope climber/ acrobat and the guy who could spin and dance on one hand. Wow! He is talented!!
Excursions: I would not recommend booking tours with the Nolitours Rep. They are VERY expensive. We paid $17 per person to take a "Luxury shopping tour" to Playa Del Carman. "Luxury" it was not! We were picked up in a small white van and crammed in with many others. We could have taken the Collectivo for $3 per person. My daughters were a little intimidated walking through Play Del Carman. Vendors are very assertive, yelling at you to come into their stores. Little did they know that if they hadn't been doing that, then I may have gone in to take a look.
Swimming With the Dolphins: $318 for my 2 daughters to swim with them plus $169 for the DVD and pictures. It was their dream, so we bit the bullet and paid the price.
Front desk Staff and cashiers / money exchangers: People... smile a little more. I know that you deal with a lot of complainers, but you get further with a spoonful of honey than a spoonful of vinegar. They get the job done. If you want to change rooms, see Esther. She's the one who seems to be the manager. She was very good and offered to change our rooms when 4822 was receiving an "infiltration" as they called it... aka a leaky roof. When we declined, she credited our account for our 4 tickets to the Mexican Fiesta night at the Hacienda. (About $60 US)
Transportation: Trollies and carts are great!! Fast! Helpful! Punctual!
Would we return? In a heart beat!! I really hope that the hotel chain puts some money into renovations and maintenance to repair the roofs of the villas and deal with the septic issues. More straws should be available even at the pool bar. I saw how they "washed" the plastic cups... a few swishes in a bucket of soapy water and a rinse. Next time, I'm taking my own straws.
The Privilege Club.... time share reps.... tried every trick in the book to hook us in to a presentation. Just say "no thanks" and keep walking. The line, " Have you received your free massage, free dinner, free tickets to swim with the dolphins, etc," please remember that there is nothing free in Canada and there is nothing free in Mexico. Besides, if you can get a great Last Minute deal like we did, who needs to sink money into a time share??
In conclusion, we will return to the Gran Bahia Principe Akumal. It is a beautiful resort with very friendly people. Everyone greets you with "Hola!" Please tip the workers. We never thought of this until now, but slip a dollar once in a while to the groundskeepers. They do an excellent job!
Hola, Manuel (our waiter in the Akumal Buffet)!!! We will always remember you!! Until we meet again, my friend!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 3 swimming pools 4 jacuzzis 2 children's swimming pools Solarium with sun umbrellas and sun loungers BAHIA SPA (additional charges apply) Sports centre: a gym, 5 tennis courts, bicycles Motor sports (additional charges apply) Aquatic activity and diving centre Entertainment amphitheatre Wi-Fi access in the lobby (free) and with an no additional charge in the rooms Buffet restaurant opposite the sea 3 a la carte restaurants 9 bars Cocktail Lounge Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, cenotes and Mayan jungle Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and a night club Rooms 758 spacious Junior Suite Superior rooms. Equipped with: Two full-size beds or one king-size bed A living area with sofa A fully fitted bathroom: shower, washbasin, dryer and magnifying mirror Hydro massage tub Bathrobe and slippers (to be enjoyed throughout your stay) Pool towel (to be enjoyed throughout your stay) Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Direct-dial telephone (additional charges applicable to external calls) Radio alarm clock Flat-screen TV Mini-bar with mini alcoholic beverages (included) Coffee set Safe (included) Ironing set 24 hour room service Butler service (upon request) Evening turn-down service Pillow menu Wi-Fi (no additional charge) Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy facilities designed especially for them: Children's swimming pool Mini Club (children aged 4 to 12) Mini Disco in the evenings Bahia Scouts Water Park Teen's club (children aged 11 to 16) Other services An internal mini-train service providing access to all the facilities: 24-hour medical service (additional charges apply) Pharmacy (additional charges apply) Personalised menu options for celiacs and diabetics Specialised wedding, anniversary and event planning service Casin ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity.ca, HotelQuickly, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Akumal
- Bahia Principle
- Bahia Principe Mexico
- Gran Bahia Principe Hotel Akumal
- Mexico Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Tulum
- Grand Bahia Principe Akumal
- Bahia Principe Riviera Maya
- Bahia Mexico Principe
- Akumal Gran Bahia Principe