“Paradise”

GreenLeadersSilver level
manchester
“Paradise”
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Just spent 11 nights in Grand palladium in the colonial part of the hotel, after a very long flight and exhausting time going through customs it was a sight for sore eyes to arrive here! it is very grand and clean and the staff are wonderful,The setting is amazing in the jungle with the wildlife and water features. All the restaurants were great, we tried most and had no complaints in any the service was top class.
We did a few trips through Thompson- Chichen itza which is a must though it is a long day and wouldn't recommend it for children- The fat cat boat trip which was great snorkeling in the reef-The pub crawl to coco bongo which was amazing and the Captain cook cruise in Cancun though again this is two hours away so quite far for an evening trip.
We also got the collectivo bus outside the hotel and for a few peso you can be in Akumal in ten minutes and snorkel with the turtles, you can hire equipment there cheap.
The weather was fantastic so spent alot of time round the pools which are gorgeous and in the beach where you can kayak and get a pedlo out.
We also went to the beach bbq on a Friday night and though was very good thought there would be more to it felt a bit like they were waiting for your table as soon as you finish as it is in staggered settings.
We went to a couple of the shows at the hotel which were ok- the pirate one and rock show the best others i wouldn't bother with plenty of bars and things to do.

Overall an amazing hotel don't know how any one can give bad rating it is like being in paradise!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank lws83
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Dear lws83,

In behalf of Grand Palladium team, I would like to give you thank you for your comments. This information it's very important for us because we can improve our servie every day.

Regards,

Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,012)
  • Polish first
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 16 February 2012

What better way to kick off 2012 than in the Mayan Riviera. My friend and I spent a perfect week, Jan. 1-8 at the Palladium! The last time I was there was in 2008, and the Palladium lived up to its amazing reputation! Having contacted Ms. Burque prior to our arrival with a request for a villa close to the beach, I was pleased to discover that our request was honoured. We stayed in Villa 21, close to the Colonial beach and to the main Colonial pool. The resort is as beautiful and impeccable as I remember it. We were pleasantly surprised by the "no reservations required" policy to the A la Carte restaurants. Granted, there's a longer wait, it was nice to dine in style every night. The majority of our time was spent at the beach, where we didn't have any trouble finding lounge chairs. We took the Collectivo to Playa one evening, which was a great experience. The only drawback was the drop off (across the highway). The Collectivo was 30 pesos/person. Restaurant recommendations are the Chinese, (great atmosphere) Ribs and More, (Fantastic food) the Mediterranean (fantastic service) the Steakhouse (great food) and the Japanese (show table is a must). Our room was well kept, and a minor air conditioner and mini fridge issue was quickly resolved with a follow up call from main desk to ensure that it was dealt with. The evening entertainment was good. The best feature of this resort (which keeps me coming back) is its spa. Great place to relax after a day at the beach. Love lounging by the infinity pool! This resort also has one of the best fitness centres I have seen at an all inclusive. Great outdoor activities (mini golf, soccer field, archery, volleyball courts). There's something for everyone. The only complaint I have (and it has nothing to do with the resort but is worth noting for those looking to book) is with a transfer through Houston. If you can avoid that airport, do everything possible to do so. We had just under an hour to clear customs, claim our baggage, and make it across a massive airport to our gate (did I mention that 7 planes landed simultaneously and there were 8 immigration officials processing hundreds of people?) We barely made our connecting flight (after Continental Airlines staff advised us to go back to the ticket counter and look for another flight). We were determined to get on our original flight to Detroit, as we had to work the next morning, so there was no way we could risk not making it back in time. But enough about the airport. The resort is beautiful, the staff is friendly and welcoming, and we can't wait to return! Kudos to the amazing people of the Grand Palladium. Still breathtaking after all these years!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank tiganca
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 18 February 2012
Dear tiganca,

In behalf of Grand Palladium team, I would like to give you thank you for your good comments. I appreciate your time and I am glad to know that you enjoyed your vacation with us.

Toronto
Reviewed 15 February 2012

I returned from this beautiful resort on Feb 10 and let me first start by saying wow. This resort blew my expectations out of the water, and to any of these bad reviewers I say you've got to be kidding me. I've had the pleasure of travelling much of the world to many different resorts and I would have to say this one is at the top of my list of favorites. The resort itself is huge and absolutely beautifully maintained. It is constantly being worked on and improved by employees who were always wearing a smile. The food is phenomenal, selection is great and no reservations required at the a la cartes. My personal favorite was the Japanese but unfortunately was unable to be seated at the show table. Regardless, food was exceptional and staff very friendly and this goes for all a la carte and buffets.
The two large pools were exciting and always had more than enough chairs to accomodate all guests as well as the beach, which was a little rocky in areas but more than enough room to swim around and see some fish.
Staff at the swim up bar on the Colonial side were exceptional and hard working. Thanks to Daniel and Pedro who made one of my days there very enjoyable.
All in all, I would most definitely return to this resort. The one and only con of my entire vacation was the travelling distance from the airport. After what seems like a long flight, the last thing you want to do is sit in a bus for an hour and a half. But well worth the wait!
If you are deciding whether or not to choose this resort, please do. Don't let the bad reviews sway you not to book. Remember, there will alway be those few who need to find something to complain about. Thank you Grand Palladium for some amazing memories and a beautiful vacation.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Rochelle M
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Dear Rochelle M,

In behalf of Grand Palladium team, I would like to give you thank you for your good comments about our hotel and the staff who works here.

We appreciate your time very much.

If you decide to visit us in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Best Regards,

Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 14 February 2012

We just came back from this resort and we do not have enough good things to say about it. We got married there and it was a fantastic, the wedding planners were amazing and the whole wedding day couldn't have gone more perfect. We splurged and had a private meal at La Laguna and it was easily one of the best meals we have ever eaten in our lives, the presentation, the service and the quality of food was outstanding. The wedding planners did absolutely everything we requested without question and were more then happy to do so. We would like to thank Vanessa and the other ladies from the wedding department for the best wedding day we could have imagined.
One thing I would recommend is for couples getting married I would stay two weeks as one week was fairly busy and it went by way to fast with not enough relax time. Also the upgrade to the Royal Suites is a MUST, as the service that you get with it is exquisite. The private restaurant in the Royal suites is beyond unbelievable as far as quality of food and beverages; I mean really where else can you get lamb and lobster for supper at an all inclusive?
Now this resort is massive, so taking a day to explore it is a must so you know where you are going and you can cut down your transport times greatly by taking some time to learn it. A little frustrating at first, but once you know where you are going you can easily walk the resort instead of using the trollies. The only complaints I heard from our family and friends were about the pillows as there were very hard. So if there is one thing to complain about, that would be it. Also with our wedding package we were supposed to have strawberries, champagne and a breakfast in bed that never came, but when I told the wedding department this they no questions asked re-imbursed our money, apologized many times and then still had the strawberries and champagne delivered for us.
Needless to say we will be booking our one year anniversary here and we cannot wait to go back there!

Room Tip: Pay for the royal suites upgrade! But if you can't afford it or just don't care the A La Car...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Tyler G
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Dear Tyler G,

Thank you for your comments and thank you for your time. I am glad to know that you have had a nice wedding with us. I will share your comments with our Wedding Departament. All comments are help for us because we can improve our work every day.

Please, if we can help you with anything, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Congratulations!!! and Good Luck!!

Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2012

We returned from this hotel last week after a fortnight's stay (26 Jan - 9 Feb 2012).
Overall we found this a really good hotel, with the highlights for us being the inclusive restaurant options and the free gym/spa facilities (I suppose one cancels the other out!).

Our main observations:

Restaurants -

We do holiday a bit and are used to all-inclusive hotels and their respective dining experiences. Having A' la carte restaurants is important to us and we are very familiar with the usual rigmarole of having to queue early in the morning to try to get something for 2-3 day's time. What was great at this hotel was that there are 8 restaurants to choose from, and you don't need to book any in advance. You just decide what you fancy that night, turn up, if there is a table free you might get in straight away; on the other hand you might be told there is an hour's wait, in which case you either get a flashing pager or you just go back when they say (e.g in 45 mins time). How hard is it to go and drink a cocktail for 45 mins while you wait?
In the 14 days we were there we chose to eat in the restaurants 11 nights and were never not able to get a table in the restaurant of our choice.
Out of the 8, we tried 6 and especially enjoyed the Mediterranean (veal steak and creme brule are amazing), Ribs'n'More (good atmosphere and great pork ribs), the Italian (recommend the baked Alaska) and the Brazillian (meat carved off a sword until you have had enough). Didn't particularly rate the Mexican or the Steak restaurant, but we might just have chosen badly. Didn't try either the Chinese or Japanese so can't comment.
Four of these restaurants are situated next to each other in the White Sands part of the hotel, 2 are in the Colonial and 2 in the Kantenah. Those in the White Sands did seem to us to be a little bit classier in decor etc.

Room -

Stayed in a standard room in villa block 4. Nice room with a few great touches like a decent hairdryer, iron and ironing board, magnifying mirror and a fridge that was re-stocked with beer, water and pop daily. Just a shame the pop never included diet/light versions though...
I had emailed the hotel ahead of our arrival to ask for a room with 2 beds rather than 1 if possible; we arrived at the room to find this had not been actioned. I phoned down to reception to be told they were very busy checking everyone in and I would have to phone back in 30 mins. I did and we were duly moved. My tip would be to check at reception when you check-in to see if any requests have been honoured before you go to your room!
What was really nice is that we had told the hotel is was our anniversary and there was a bottle of champagne (or a version of) in the room (only the second room though!).

Buffet -

Out of all the hotels we have stayed in the buffet experience here was one of the best. So much so that on nights when we had been in the gym/spa late we chose to eat here rather than the fab restaurants and didn't feel hard done by. The choice was great, plenty of choice and even saw Sirloin Wellington on two occasions!
Breakfasts were more frantic though (if you turn up at the wrong time, i.e. 9.30 am). We made this mistake a couple of times and the Colonial buffet was full so we were told to go next door to the Kantenah buffet (literally next door, so no problem) but then to get egg on toast took 15 mins and when we left the table to get up for yogurt we returned to our table to find it had been cleared of our full cup of coffee and a glass of juice! Not an issue though, we learnt this early on and arriving 15 mins earlier or later really could make all the difference

Gym/spa -

As mentined above, this was a real highlight for us. Usually hotel gyms are a bit rubbish but this was big with 3 cross-trainers, 2 or 3 treadmills, 4 bikes, free weights and resistance machines for all main body parts. We usually went in around 6pm and normally there were only a handful of people using it then apart from us. Great touch was the healthy drinks for free vend in the gym and spa (Jamaican Hibiscus was really nice).
We couldn't believe the spa: 2 saunas (only one working though), 2 steam rooms, 3 hot jacuzzis - all free to use! One night it was just amazing sitting in a great big jacuzzi looking up at the moon and stars - great. The spa closes at 8pm so we were often the last using it and practically had it to ourselves

Bar areas -

The things we found good were the self-service drinks and ice-cream machines at the beach bars - no hassle having to queue up just to get a diet coke. As other people have mentioned though the real gem is Hemmingway's bar in the Kantenah lobby. This is a quiet (quite refined) bar with a piano, bookshelves and all the top brands of drinks. I was impressed with the chilled cabinet with elegant sandwiches and desserts for you to help yourself to (not that I did though!)

Grounds -

The groungs are quite unusual in that the 4 hotels are set amongst dense foilage and there are winding walkways throughout. Good job my husband has a good sense of direction as after 2 weeks I still could not find my way round (seriously!). We bumped into one old boy who looked lost and we wondered if he would live long enough to find his room...you will understand when you get there!
It was also a nice surprise to see flamingoes and crocodiles in areas within the resort as well as other wildlife roaming around. We even learnt that the fish food comes out at 12pm outside the restaurants so if you want to you can feed the fish

All in all a great resort, one of the very best we have stayed in and though we like to holiday in different places and would not necessarily go back to the same one, are very impressed with Grand Palladium and are avidly looking at the one in Jamaica for next year...

11 Thank KarenandSimon
Dear KarenandSimon,

Thank you for taking time to give us your comments about your vacation here, in Grand Palladium. I appreciate your time.

I will share your feedback with the rest of the team.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2012

2nd visit to this superb hotel ; 1 of 4 "separate" hotels sharing one massive site and all facilities . Beautiful grounds containing fascinating wildlife , excellent easy snorkelling off the beach . Food varied and safe with unlimited use of 8 a la carte restaurants . Lots of nice quiet shady areas , around the secluded adult pools , at the back of the beach and the excellent spa.The entertainment staff are very good and put on some very good evening shows . Everywhere is clean and tidy .
Excellent base for excursions , such as Tulum and Chichen Itza etc.

2 Thank Garnon
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Dear Garnon,

Thank you for your comments and for your time. All comments are very important for us.

Blackburn England
Reviewed 11 February 2012

Just had 11nights at this hotel I can't recommend this hotel enough. The staff are without exception helpful and friendly. The food choices are extensive so if you can't find something you like its not the hotels fault. The spa is amazing and i recommend trying a massage we did the couples massage and really enjoyed it. The weather was variable but didnt cause a problem as there is plenty to do. So if your still wondering if you should book at this resort don't just book it you will have a wonderful time. Enjoy.

Room Tip: High floors have more of a view as most rooms are based in a jungle area we stayed in block 7 second...
4 Thank jetlagged2
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 13 February 2012
Dear jetlagged2,

Please, if you decide to visit us in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Resident Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
0.5 km away
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa
9.7 km away
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
27.5 km away
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
#55 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!