Have just returned from a 9 night family holiday here, travelling with 2 children (5 & 8). In short we had a great time and the resort provided everything you would expect but after holidaying in other 5 star resorts / hotels you notice the little touches that were missing. Everywhere was clean, the facilities were very good - wide choice of restaurants, large pools, watersports, kids club, spa, the staff were friendly & polite, rooms were reasonably well maintained, grounds were well kept etc. but (and it is only a minor but) it lacked the feeling of luxury, the 'wow' some 5 stars achieve. It is no doubt reflected in the price but little touches like robes, slippers, nice toiletries were missing from the rooms, the beds were a little small, service in the restaurants was not always very personal with lots of rushing about with dishes, drinks etc. and a feeling of trying to turn tables quickly and we got the impression from our children the kids club hosts weren't always very enthusiastic (our children did return several times however so must have enjoyed it).
We tried all restaurants except the Italian and the food was very good in all except the Japanese (we weren't at the tepanyaki table) where it was only OK, not bad just OK. We generally avoided the buffet restaurants in the evening as the longest wait we ever had for one of the a la carte's was 45 mins but we could have walked into one of the others if we wished, we just particularly fancied that restaurant that night. If you eat after 8 (and certainly 8:30) there is virtually no waiting we found.
Towards the end of the holiday the resort filled up much more (coinciding with a public holiday in the US I believe) and there were more young groups and you noticed more daytime drinking, games round and in the pool & general loudness. It never caused any issues as there was a good mix of families, couples & groups, wasn't a problem for us and added to the general fun ambience the resort tries to encourage but be aware if you are looking for a quiet holiday.
If asked if we would return the answer is yes.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa is located on a spectacular, private Caribbean beach-front complex that boasts of 800 meters of white, fine sand and turquoise blue waters. Guests of the Grand Palladium Colonial are invited to use the facilities provided by the adjoining Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, the Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, and the Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, with the exception of the Royal Suite facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, HotelQuickly, Booking.com, Travelocity.ca, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Palladium Colonial Hotel
- Hotel Grand Palladium Colonial
- Grand Palladium Mexico
- Palladium Colonial Resort
- Grand Palladium Spa
- Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico