“Fantastic Holiday (with kids and vegetarians)”

Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Brampton, Canada
“Fantastic Holiday (with kids and vegetarians)”
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Wow wow wow! We had an absolutely amazing week at this resort! The grounds are gorgeous, the pools were lovely and we got a free upgrade to a junior suite, which gave us more than enough room for our family of 4.

As there are a lot of reviews already that talk about the great pools, beach, etc. I will focus my review on the Kids Club and the Vegetarian food options as these are two topics I couldn't find a lot of information about before we went.

First the Food:
There are 3 Buffets in the Colonial/Kantenah section (basically all the same as one another) which have a wide variety of options for vegetarians or anyone with any special dietary requirements. At every meal, there is a wide variety of fresh fruits. Lunch and dinner buffets have a fantastic salad buffet, including beans, nuts, flax seed and anything you could possibly want on a salad. At breakfast there is muesli and yogourt, toast, eggs, and many cereals, as well as the standard pancakes, etc. I also noticed lactose free and soy milk at breakfast, as well as sugar free desserts on the dinner buffet. There were usually a selection of cheeses, hard boiled eggs, vegetarian pizzas and pasta and super-yummy guacamole at lunch and dinner. Each night the buffet has a different theme (ie: French, Mexican, Gala dinner, etc.) so the choices vary each day. There is always some sort of "make to order" station where they will make a fresh stir-fry or pasta with your choice of veggies (depending on the theme that night). Also, I loved that all of the foods are carefully labeled so you know what the ingredients are and can select easily what suits your particular needs.

The a la carte restaurants are great too! Each one has a separate vegetarian menu and a kids menu that you can ask for when you are being seated. The vegetarian menu has three choices of entree plus soups and salads. All of the food we tried was very tasty. I especially liked the Mexican and the Japanese. My only complaint would be that the kids menu did not have any vegetarian choices, but we were able to order for the kids from the adult veggie menu and fed them some snacks from the beach snack bar late in the afternoon on the days we knew we were going to the a la carte restaurants. The kids preferred the buffet though.

The Kids Club:
There are two sections to the kids club, inside for kids 0-3 and outside for kids 4-12. The ladies working in the kids club were very friendly and spoke English very well. They really go the extra mile to do lots of activities and crafts and vary the schedule each day. The baby section (inside) is very secure with a door that is kept closed. You are asked to sign your child in and are given a walkie-talkie so that they can call you if your child is crying. They will not feed the children in the baby club so you do need to stop by every couple of hours to give them a drink and also will need to take them out of the club for meals. My son (3) loved it there and asked to go back every day. We normally only left him for about 2 hours each day though as we didn't want him to miss out on beach/pool time with the rest of the family. He only cried when we made him leave. The older kids in the 4-12 age group have more activities and can also participate in a "show" each night at the theatre. My daughter (6) was too shy to stay there, but there were lots of kids there each day who looked like they were having lots of fun. My only word of caution on this part of the club is that the supervision is not as good as the indoor baby club. The gate does not close completely and there is not always sufficient staff to watch every kid at all times. I would not feel comfortable leaving a curious 4 year old there. However, if you have a responsible 7 or 8 year old, they would probably have a great time. The resort is very safe and I never felt concerned about anyone from outside wandering into the kids club. But, at the same time, the security at the kids club could have been improved in the outdoor section to prevent kids from leaving on their own. One day we signed my daughter in and then she decided she didn't want to stay, so, we left with her and forgot to sign her out. I don't think anyone noticed that she was missing and when we returned later to collect my son, no one said anything about my daughter not being signed out.

Overall, this is a fantastic resort and caters to everyone's needs! We would definitely recommend this place to friends.

Room Tip: Blocks 20 & 21 in the Colonial section is central to everything. A minute walk to the pool, lob...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank Samantha M
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Dear Samantha M,

In behalf of Grand Palladium team, I would like to give you thank you for your comments and for your time. Your opinion it's very important for improve our work day after day.

Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (980)
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We just back from 2 weeks holidays. We had amazing holidays. Beautiful hotel, SPA. We have been there with our 1,5 old little one and for her we found out baby club El Ranchito. She was there every day for 2 hours so we have free time, always we have radio if anything happened. Staff there was amazing care about her.
When we arrived we had some issue with our room but after help from reception (especially Luis - thanks for him) we got new room next day. Close to the beach and swimming pool.
All facilities in that hotel are great. Lots of bars, restaurants. Food very good.
Definitely we come back!!!!!
Thanks tor amazing holidays!!!!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank dotif
Thank you dotif for share with us and other readers your comments about your vacation in Grand Palladium.

Inverness, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Have been to this resort twice, had a absolutely brilliant time on both occasions if your are thinking will I won't I go! Go go go if your wanting a brilliant relaxing holiday,pools restaurants food fab, & the staff are so friendly they were brilliant & work so hard, I tipped every day they work so hard to make sure you a a brilliant holiday, I was with family & friends both times & we all loved it, if your going you will have a brill time enjoy..

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank Steven G
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Dear Steven G,

Thank you for your time and for share with us your comments about your vacation in Grand Palladium.

For me and for the rest of the team, the opinion of our guest it's very important.

Thank you again.

Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Just returned from a fantastic holiday at the Grand Palladium. I can only echo all the positive comments that have been made by all the previous reviewers.
The staff are very friendly and provide excellent service in all areas.
Our room (which was upgraded on arrival to a suite - a pleasant surprise) was spacious, modern and clean with well stocked minibar that was replenished daily. Our maid cleaned every day and she made sure we had a regular supply of different towel animals.
There is a fantastic number of restaurants all providing an excellent choice of different food from Brazillian to Japanese. The only hic-cup there would be the Chinese themed restaurant (Bamboo), where we found the food and service terrible, but maybe they were having a bad night!
The grounds around the 4 hotels are quite vast, but they operate a mini train service that you can jump on and off around the resort if you dont feel like walking.
We stayed for 11 nights and we didn't manage to explore all of the property - meaning we will definately have to go back and explore the rest!
Cant wait!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
11 Thank So_LoBolton
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Dear So_LoBolton,

Thank you for taking the time to share with me and other readers your comments about your experience while staying in Grand Palladium Resort and Spa.

I appreciate your time and I will share with our team this information.

Hertfordshire
Reviewed 2 April 2012

There is not much I can add to the recent good reviews, being a regular visitor to the carribean it is in my top 5. The location is a great mix of beach, flora and fauna and the restaurants and facilities mean there is plenty to keep you amused. The crazy golf could do with a refurb though and the animation team are far too loud, you could hear them 1/2 a mile away. The wildlife all around the complex made it for me. The secret bar at the adult pool is a great place to end the day with a last swim and coctail before getting ready for an evening out.

For my diving buddies the Mexican experience from on-site Scuba Carribe is fantastic. 2 Cenote dives are awesome, underwater caverns and caves linked by tunnels and filled with rock formations and lazer light shows from the gaps in the cavern roof. Search u-tube for a flavour. The highlights of the local dives were finding a seahorse on both dives and a large turtle. The dive off Cozamel was the fastes drift dive I have ever done and worthy of a theme park.

For a special snorkel get a taxi (about $15usd) to Ackumel beach and swim with rays and turtles, I spent 20 mins swimming with two 4-5ft turtles about 50 yds from the beach in 4ft of water. Mind you don't step on the sting rays! The dive center on the beach will rent you gear if you need it.

I'll be back.

Room Tip: We were in Block 21 which gave great access to all the facilities. The only rooms with a view are on...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank gastroknome
Dear gastroknome,

Thank you for taking the time to share with me and other readers your coments about your vacation in Grand Palladium Riviera Maya. I´m so pleased that you have had a wonderful time with us.

I will share your comments with our entertainment manager.

Hope to see you soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2012

This was my 6th stay at the hotel over about 5 years and it just keeps on getting better.
Firstly we like to say a massive thank you to Banesa, we had a wonderful stay and you certainly went the extra mile to look after us.
We were only at the hotel for a week this time and did not have time to try all the restaurants, the ones we did try were excellent i think the standard of food has got better. We could have easily eaten in the buffet restaurants every night as there is so much choice.
The pools and hotel grounds were immaculate, as always, and every staff member we bumped into was happy and welcoming.
The beach was beautiful and we saw amazing marine life right there in the shallows, we saw huge butterflys, cute coatis, iguanas, flamingos and more!
I have stayed in the White Sands, Kantenah and now Colonial, i have to say the Colonial seems to be my favourite but really and truely it does not matter which lobby you check into, you have full use of the entire resort and i have enjoyed myself throughly at all of them.
Our room this time was very close to the pool and restaurants which was fantastic after a few too many cocktails but this is not essential as i have had rooms further away in previous trips and the stroll through the jungle and wooden walk ways is very pretty.
It was my fiances' first time at the hotel and he was blown away with the service, facilities, grounds and beauty of the resort, he loved it so much we are already looking at returning with the children.
I highly recommend this hotel to couples and families, if it is your first time to Mexico this resort will blow you away too. If you have been before and thinking of returning, then do it, it just keeps getting better and better!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
12 Thank rebbeca t
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Dear rebbeca t,

Thank you so much for your excellente review. I couldn't to see you this time but I hope the next time.

I am glad to know your comments and that you have had a great time with us.

Please, don' t hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything in the future.

A Hug,

Reviewed 1 April 2012

Loved every minute of it. Food plentifull and delicious. Loads of al a carte restaurants for you to chose from. Spa fab. Entertainment excellent. Kids club good for older kids, our daughter is 3 so would have to go with the babies so not an option. Would recommend to anyone, with kids, couples, older people, singles if you are not too worried about finding a holiday romance as a lot of families and couples around.

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank Maliruby
Dear Maliruby,

Thank you so much for your excellent comments. I appreciate your time.

Resident Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
0.5 km away
1.6 km away
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
9.3 km away
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum

Been to Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!