“Beautiful resort with a few shortfalls”

Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Calgary, Canada
“Beautiful resort with a few shortfalls”
Reviewed 19 March 2012

We stayed here from March 11 to 18 and had pretty mixed impressions overall. It was our second time to a Mexican all-inclusive resort and my fiance's second experience at a Grand Palladium.

The resort itself is beautiful and very well maintained -- we were impressed with the number of workers keeping the pathways clean and the grass and plants trimmed. The beach is very nice with a few good spots to swim, a couple of pretty good beach bars, and lots of activities to do. The area right by the Kantenah is very quiet and a great place to relax.

Our room was disappointing. They had no rooms left with king size beds to offer us, so we were stuck with two double beds. Both of them were hard as a rock. I couldn't sleep on my side for more than 15 minutes before my arm would start to tingle from lack of circulation! They were doing renovations in the room next door so it was impossible to take a break and relax in the room during the day at all without hearing constant furniture moving. When we went to the front desk to see if they could accomodate us a little better than this, the girl at reception couldn't have cared less. She said she could get us another room, but when we asked about the beds she said they were the same. We took the room anyway hoping to escape the renovations... but wouldn't you know they were renovating the room above our new room!

The huge selection of a la carte restaurants is great, but it's also necessary at this resort, as the buffets are very bland and after eating breakfast and lunch at the buffets, the last thing you want is to go back for dinner. The food at the restaurants was generally pretty good, but nothing amazing. The steakhouse was good, but the t-bones were VERY salty, all of the steaks were cut very thin, and if you wanted to add lobster, it was an additional $35!

Generally the staff was very helpful and eager to please with a few exceptions:
a) The girl we dealt with at reception
b) The occasional bartender that didn't really want to do their job unless you were waving money at them (but this was pretty rare)
c) The time share sales pitch from the concierge -- we were happy that we were given a thorough overview of the amenities at the resort, but the last thing you want to hear is an invitation to a timeshare presentation from the hotel itself!

The spa was amazing, the mini golf was impossible and poorly maintained, the bars were plentiful and well stocked, the salt water pool was not very well maintained.. basically it was hit and miss! We wouldn't stay there again or recommend it to our friends, but we wouldn't rule other Grand Palladiums out because they have a great reputation!

Room Tip: Stay in the Colonial or White Sands instead!
7 Thank Wray S
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
Dear Wray S,

I would like to give you my apologies for the incidents that you have had during your vacation in Grand Palladium.

We always try to do our best to satisfy our guests and make their vacation enjoyable and the comments we receive from most of them prove it. We assure you that we will take very serious each of your comments in order to improve our work every day.

Please, if you decide visit us in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us before your arrival.

Best regards,

Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (761)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Dubuque, Iowa
Reviewed 19 March 2012

We spent 9 days at the Grand Palladium Kantenah (our first time at the GP - we had stayed at the Iberostar-Tucan about 9 years ago). It was beautiful! Everyone's reviews tend to be the same because we all experienced the same great resort.
BEACH - the beach is beautiful in many different ways. Starting at the Riviera end (the southern end of the resort), you will experience a completely different type of landscape. It is quite amazing and beautiful, here is where you will find the salt-water pool, as there really isn't a "sandy" beach per-se. Even if you aren't staying at this end of the resort, make sure you walk out there to see the view. The best part of the beach (least rocky) is on the northern most part of the resort (the Kantenah end). Here you can go out very far without ever hitting a rock - there are a few areas in the middle part of the beach that have some rocks, but once you get past them the sand is soft under your feet.
ROOMS - we stayed in a Junior Suite (family of 4) which was perfect for us. Our 13 yr old son slept on the pull-out couch which gave all of us a little bit more room. The shower had perfect water pressure and we always had a nice hot shower every day. Our room was ALWAYS very clean and we had fun little towel "animals" waiting for us at the end of every day - THANK YOU!!
FOOD - what can I say - don't plan on dieting while you are here!! Every buffett restaurant was amazing and the ala carte restaurants were fabulous. It was nice because you didn't have to make reservations ahead of time and they could usually seat you right away (sometimes only a slight wait).
RESORT GROUNDS/STAFF - Again AMAZING! Every person on staff was so polite and ready to help you with anything you needed, and always with a smile :) The resort was VERY big, so if you want to visit the entire area, make sure to take some shoes. The maps at the front desk help a LOT!!! There is a train that takes you from section to section, which is nice. Every night the POP (People of Palladium) put on a musical show - spectacular! Not only do these young people work all over the resort during the day doing different activities with the guests, but then they continue into the night and provide an evening of fascinating entertainment - we LOVED Memo!!!!
SIDE TRIPS - highly recommend a trip to Akumal (about 10 minutes South of the resort) to snorkel. Beautiful coral reefs and sea turtles!! Xel-Ha, you can swim with the dolphins, but this is also a huge ecological park with great snorkeling, zip-lining, cliff-jumping, bike riding, etc. GREAT fun!! Also, try to get some shopping done in Playa del Carmen - lots of bargains!

Can't say enough what a wonderful resort this was - THANK YOu Grand Palladium!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
10 Thank BW
Thank you BW for taking time to share with us your comments. I appreciate your time and I am very glad to know that you have had a beautiful vacation in Grand Palladium.

Best regards from the Riviera Maya.

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 19 March 2012

We already stayed at another Grand Palladium hotel (in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic) and we were very happy with our stay there. This GP is equally amazing and has a lot of similarities. We stayed from 6-16 March 2012.
It is not close to the airport and I had my reservations whether we should pick this resort but I am soo glad we did. I am sure the hotels at the Playacar zone do not have all of this wildlife and all of the small details which contribute..

RESORT:
The resort is very big but after a day (ok or 2) you know your way around so do not worry. The concierge explained the whole complex in detail when we arrived, which was really nice, you do not have to find everything out by yourself.
The whole resort is very clean and feels nice. There is a lot of wildlife to see, coaties, squirrels, raccoons, iguanas, crocodiles, definitely a plus (and I did not see one spider, double plus). Check out the salt water pool where you can see fish and go snorkling. You can also feed the fish in the lobby/restaurant area yourself, they replenish the boxes wih fish food every day. Nice touch :-)
I used the free wifi in the lobby to skype with home, no problems. O and I was impressed with the 9! bookcases with books. Lots of people browsing the books.
The staff is very friendly and polite, they always ask if you want some more wine or another drink. I loved the strawberry daiquiries, tequila sunrise and riviera maya the most. Although I must say I still do not know what is in a riviera maya. It just had these very nice colours of green, orange and red :-).
The public coming to this hotel are mainly americans and canadians I believe so practice either spanish or english :-). We also met the most wonderful people from Newfoundland here.
The Spa is amazing, you can see from the entrance right through the other side into the water!

ROOM:
We had a room in block 42 on the third floor and we quickly found it really special to have a view of 'jungle'. This was a first. We were happy with our room and our cleaning lady susanna made the most wonderful towel animals, always a nice surprise. We found a shortcut also in the building (shhhtt) so the lobby was not so far en we had a 'quiet' pool very close by which was perfect. Always enough loungers for everybody too.

FOOD:
No complaints at all, there was lots of variety. In the morning at the breakfast buffet even champagne (and good one too) and freshly made juices, lots of choice. For lunch we ate sometimes at the pool and sometimes at the buffet restaurant. We liked the à la carte restaurants Bamboo (Chinese - think sushi and nicest decor, warm red) and El Dorado (steakhouse - perfect steak) the most. No problem getting a table when you get there at +- 18.30h like us (since we have 7 hours time difference we would be the first everywhere, always the first to get hungry :-)). I ate a lot of salmon, prawns, sushi, carpaccio, and of course hamburgers, pasta, pizza, pancakes, waffles, churos,.. But we ate some nights at the buffet restaurant Tikal (side Kantenah) too since it was that good and something else each time.

TO SEE:
We took a collectivo to Playa del Carmen (very easy directly outside the hotel), did the Avv. 5.. and 2 geocaches. Also went with a collectivo the other way, to Tulum, did the ruins by ourselves (I would recommend a guide, or booklet) and then a taxi to the Grand Cenote not very far where you can go diving and snorkling too.

I can not comment on shows, gym or nightlife. We preferred a nice seat with yet another drink at the lobby bar of the Kantenah or The White Sands (depending which restaurant we went too).

Overall, I highly recommend this resort. Only minus I can think of is that the ATM machines in Kantenah and White Sands did not work (and it seemed that the reception was not very surprised by this). We went to Playa del Carmen then to get some money.

8 Thank ingstje
Dear ingstje,

In behalf of Grand Palladium team, I would like to give you thank you for share with us your opinion about your vacation.

I will take note about the ATM and I will check this with our front desk manager.

Thank you for your time.

Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2012

This place lives up to it's name. This is our second Palladium. When I looked at the reviews I was so surprised. I thought how can that be so good. Well it really is!! The food is amazing and the mexican people are wonderful. This resort is really big. Take the train or you will hurt. Our first day we walked all over and boy I won't do that again. Wild life is really amazing here too. The show's are really good. They have two show's which we went to every night. There spa area is the biggest I have seen. It's so beautiful and BIG! If your into tour's we did two cave ones. Do the under world one as it's better and you get more for you money here. The 1st cave one is ok but it's only inside the cave as the other one is the cave and you see what's under the water in the cave and it's all lite up. Plus you go to the beach and see the turtles. I swim right next to one! We got a junior suite and you don't need to do that. All the rooms are the same. It only got us closer to the beach. And it's a long walk to anything. We stayed at the Kantenah which is the fathest from anything. I would stay at the Colonial next time as it's in the middle more. I would stay at building 1 or 2. There are 5 parts to this resort. But the Royal Suites are off limit. But who cares you have 4 resorts all in one. 9 La Cafe. You don't have to reserve unless it's the two on the beach. BBQ on Friday which is just ok. Because it's so big we didn't have to wait for anything. I loved it and will go back again. We are very picky so this place is amazing. That should tell you alot. I felt very safe here too and some people had us alittle worried. We took there bus into the city and I am so glad we went it's was a really nice city. The cost was $3.00 a trip so cheap. 30 min drive only and the bus comes in front of the resort. This resort is for everyone. There is lots to do here which is what we were looking for. Cheers Liz & Mark

Room Tip: If you want to walk less stay at the Colonial Resort and take the train. Paying extra only gets you...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Liz G
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 17 March 2012
Thank you Liz G for taking time to give us your comments about your vacation. Yes, our spa it's a beautiful place for the relax..

I will share your comments with our team.

Please, if you decide visit the hotel again and if we can help you with anything, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Best regards,

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2012

my husband & I returned from this lovely hotel 16/3/12 and although I have never written a review before, I felt this complex deserved being highly praised for every aspect from cleaning & maintenance staff, train drivers to waiters & waitresses, front of house staff, the animation team et al. I was slightly dubious having never been to such a large complex but in fact it had many positive attributes in that nowhere ever seemed crowded. I loved having so many choices of where to eat and being able to go to an a la carte restaurant every night if you wanted to. All the staff were so polite and friendly and incredibly patient with one particular drunk & noisy group of Canadians. Our homeward flight was delayed by 15 hours due to a violent passenger having to be dumped & arrested in Canada but both the hotel & Thomson rep were so helpful and made what could have been a very stressful situation into another lovely day at this resort. I shall definitely book again at another Palladium hotel

Room Tip: 3rd floor is good but any block is good to be honest, I wouldn't worry too much
5 Thank ruth1951
Dear ruth1951,

In behalf of Grand Palladium team, I would like to give you thank you for your time and for your comments.

I am glad to know that you have had a great time with us.

Please, if you decide to visit the hotel in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

With best regards,

Montreal
Reviewed 15 March 2012

We were very pleased with our 1 week stay at the Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort. The resort is very clean, staff was friendly, the rooms are a bit dated but the bed was comfy. The main pool and beach was nice, we didn't have any problem finding chairs. I loved the fact that there was a lot of vegetations throughout the resort. The food was great with many à la carte restaurant to choose from (you don't need reservations). It took us about a day or two to get to know our way around the different resorts since it's pretty big but there are small shuttles and a train to get to the other hotels. I have to mention the night shows which were very professional (2 shows every night). I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Chewie96
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Dear Chewie96,

Thank you for your time and comments. I will share this informaction with our team.

Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Have just returned having stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks.
We stayed in the Kantenah side in a junior suite.There are 4 hotels on this complex Kantenah & colonial on the other side you have Whitesands & Riviera.
Accommodation - I can only comment on our room which was slightly dated with regards to furnishing,but the room was huge & had a lounge seating area.Daily maid service was a bit erratic some days were good,but other days you could tell things had been rushed & replenishments forgotten.We tipped daily though as felt when the service had been good it was well deserved.
Restaurants - We tried all of the restaurants except for the Steakhouse & fish restaurant on the beach(just ran out of time,as ate out in Playa Del Carmen a couple of times) Service in the restaurants was generally good & longest we had to wait was an hour one night.Normally a 30-40 min wait or walk straight in depending on time of evening.No problem for us as we would just go for a drink & come back at the given time or be given a buzzer that would flash when our table was ready.Our favourites were Bamboo(Asian),Sumptuori(Japanese) & Ribs & More.My husband liked the Brazilian Rodizio's,too much meat for my liking.Quality of food was generally okay got a bit samey after a while even though they were different types of cuisines.Always a self service salad bar to start(followed by an ordered starter)
We normally had breakfast in the Colonial buffet restaurant,not dissimilar from the Kantenah buffet,but the food just seemed to be displayed a bit better & it had a very good omlette/egg chef.Never had to wait for a table,just walked straight in.Nice touch champagne available with breakfast(only did this twice,first morning of our hols & my Birthday)
Lunch,we would have a snack at the beach bar(near Whitesands end) which doubled up as the fish restaurant at night.Or we would go into the buffet restaurant over by the Colonial.
Bars - After dinner we liked to sit in the Colonial lobby as it usually had a live band(dancing optional) waitress service was very good so you didn't need to queue at the bar like some people did.
Shows - We watched 2 shows in the Colonial & 1 in the Riviera theatres,not bad & done with enthusiasm.
Pools - We really liked the adult pool inbetween the Colonial & Whitesands.It was a little oasis & the barman Roger was really nice & made great Margarita's.We did try to sit round the adult pool at the Whitesands but not enough sunbeds,it did look nice though.
Spa - Although we didn't have any treatments we did go over to the spa a few times.My husband used the gym(which he said was well equipped) & I used the studio to practice yoga.We sat round the pool which is beautiful & very tranquil.The indoor areas are very good with saunas,steam rooms,jacuzzis & other water features.Great for rainy days as we had a couple during our stay.My only gripe with the spa would be staff very unfriendly(no eye contact & pretended to look at computer screen or pick up phone as you entered,happened each time we visited) We might have been tempted to have some treatments,but felt they were not really interested in creating any business.Prices I think were probably a bit steep as well,they never seemed busy.I did enquire as to whether they did yoga classes(as hotel website advertises yoga as an activity) was given a blank look & then told no! No explanation just a no! I did find out later a stretching/yoga class was held daily by the Whitesands main pool which I took a few times with the lovely Tania(Thankyou) Tania is also a dancer in the shows.
With regards for getting around the resort,once you get your bearings there are lots of short cuts betweeen hotels.For those of you who don't like to walk there are the red/green trains that run between hotel lobbies but also golf buggies to transport you around each hotels grounds.We liked to walk & enjoyed the many boardwalks spotting the abundant wildlife enroute(wish the Russians wouldn't feed the Cooties,is says not to!!)
Out & about - We used the Collectivo's from outside the resorts main gate.A very good service,absolutely brilliant & very frequent.Don't be scared to use these they are very good & cheap.30 pesos to Pl.Del Carmen,30 to Tulum,20 to Akumal.
We also used the Collectivo to go to Xa-Caret it dropped us off on the highway & a free shuttle bus runs every 20 mins to & from the main gate.Doing the trip this way saved quite a bit of money.If you visit Xa-Caret make sure you stay for the evening show.It's a 2 hour show but very proffessional & a great cast of showmanship.Something for everyone & very entertaining.There is an interval & they come round with popcorn,candyfloss & cold drinks(beer as well!)
We went to Akumal Bay where you can swim with turtles.They are just there naturally in the bay so you don't need to go out on any snorkle trip.Just swim from the shore & you will see them!
Tulum ruins was interesting & if you want to see some ruins & learn some local history it's a good place to go.(Someone from our hotel did a Chichen itza excursion & it was a 12 hour trip of which only about 2 hours of that was spent at the actual site)Tulum ruins you can get round it in an hour unless you take a guided tour,most people on these looked bored & they were stood in large groups away from the ruins whilst the tour guides pointed here & there.If like me you like to get up close,DIY it.You can buy a good guide book at the entrance(little shop after ticket boothe) for 78 pesos which explains everything.A guided tour was around 500 pesos & not wanting to take anything away from the locals as they do rely on tourism,I just don't like being part of a herded group.
After the ruins we popped into Tulum town.A strange little place has a real hippy feel to it & nothing like Playa Del Carmen.Lots of trinket shops.If you want to buy some jewellry I can strongly recommend Las Joyas De Adelita.Very friendly guy that can make you anything given 1-2 days.Much better than the mass produced stuff you see on all the stalls in Pl.Del Carmen.I bought a beautiful ring & although not cheap 1,400 pesos was very well made.I didn't have the heart to barter as could see this guy had a real passion for what he did.
Playa Del Carmen - We had a few trips into Playa.I really liked 5th Ave,although very touristy.The beach is beautiful,white powdery sand & a great beach bar called Fusion who do the best beef nacho's.I had a couple of massages.One in a salon to the left of the port(had a manicure here as well)Massage 25 USD( 1 hour) & manicure 6 USD.I also had a hot stone massage on the beach just after Fusion 25 USD(1 hour) this one was better,more invigourating.We also did the fish pedicure & were entertainment for other tourists walking pass taking photo's(not sure how I feel about being in other people's holiday snaps though) 20 USD for 2 for 15 mins.
We ate in a really nice authentic Italian restaurant called Casa Mediterranea just off 5th Ave in a courtyard.Very good food,well worth a visit.
Overall enjoyed our stay at this huge resort complex.It's big enough that it dosen't appear to be too busy,you can get away from the crowds.Staff very friendly(apart from Spa staff,hotel needs to address this & they may do more business)We don't normally do All Inclusive holidays but due to lots of restaurant choice & unrestricted A La Carte options I'd say it was a good choice.My husband arranged flowers with the hotel as it was my Birthday whilst we were there.They were the most beautiful exotic flowers,very good service if you want to treat someone. One last thing the beach does get alot of seaweed washed up onto it,it dosen't spoil the beach in any way(we are real beach lovers & prefer to be at the beach rather than pool area) there is an army of workers who rake the seaweed up into bags,so much hard work when the next day it just comes back again,it's nature & to be expected.

Room Tip: Any room would be fine.I preferred high floor as had views out to sea.Ground floors seemed a bit dar...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
18 Thank Brigette
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Dear Brigette,

Thank you very much for your review. We appreciate a lot you took the time to write about your experience and this information helping us to improve our service every day.

Please, if you decide to visit the hotel in the future, don' t hesitate to contact with us.

With best regards,

Resident Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
0.5 km away
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#79 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
9.8 km away
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!