Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa
US$312
US$145
US$141
Hotels.com
Grand Bahia Principe Coba(Akumal)(Great Value!)
US$285
Grand Oasis Tulum(Akumal)
US$237
US$197
Bookit.com
US$373
  • Pool
Las Villas Akumal(Akumal)(Great Value!)
US$149
US$134
US$321
HotelQuickly
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
6,107 results
All reviewsgrand palladiumribsmayan suitebeach bara la carte restaurantsel doradofishthe salt water poolmain poolthe white sandscolonial lobbyoutdoor showerspa poolpunta emiliajunior suitewhite partymake reservations
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We (my mother and two teens, 15 and 13) stayed at the Kantenah March 6 to 10, 2012. This was my first time at an all-inclusive so I can't compare with other experiences but this one was very good overall.

Check-in: Good although for some reason they took a couple ahead of us. (They asked if we were a couple and obviously not, so the couple went ahead of us. Not clear why...) The room was not ready when we checked in around one but we were able to change in washrooms close to the lobby and have lunch at the buffet. I had e-mailed ahead of time with a request for rooms close together and on the second or third floor (to avoid the bugs), which we got. (I had initially booked a junior suite but the hotel gave us two rooms instead when they learned of our set up, which was very nice and appreciated. In retrospect, it would not have been a good idea to have 4 women share a single bathroom!)

Food: very good overall. They have 8 restaurants to choose from and we liked most of the ones we tried. We liked the Mexican best (although the wait is very long) followed (for my kids) by the Brazlian. The Italian was very nice as well, especially if you can get a seat outside. Ribs 'n More probably not worth it, at least if you're going for the ribs. (Definitely not the fall-of-the-bones we're used to.) The breakfast and lunch buffets are pretty much the same every day but that was not a big issue given the variety. (We did go to a buffet one evening when the wait seemed too long at a restaurant but we regretted it.)

Staff: overall friendly and nice. Wait staff at the restaurants were nicest, but it was hard to get a smile out of the front desk staff. The people at the concierge desks were also very nice but the one person I asked about the shows in the evening was not well informed and couldn't tell me what was on when. She directed me to a sign at the front desk with show times but that was not very informative as far as knowing what type of show it was. Overall though, most were nice and accommodating.

Rooms: good size and generally clean. I would say that the bathroom in the room I shared with my son could have used more attention as far as cleaning is concerned but it was not dirty by any means. The cleaning lady who looked after the room my mom and daugther stayed in was more attentive.

Beach: very good, with only a few rocky spots. It was fun to feed the fish. We never had a problem finding four free chairs.

Pool: a very large pool at the Kantenah, never crowded with lots of activities in the day time.

Property: it's a large place and there's a lot of walking. I didn't mind it personally but something to be aware of. There is a train that goes from lobby to lobby and smaller ones that travel the grounds to the rooms, which is nice when you don't feel like walking. Lots of pretty butterflies, birds, and iguanas. It was fun to walk on the boardwalks and have nature surrounding us. The property is generally very clean.

Check-out: my only major complaint was that even though we had booked a porter to come get us and our luggage at 5:30, they were tardy to show up. I had to actually go to the lobby and remind them that we needed to be picked up. There was no one at the porter desk so it's lucky I caught a porter (there seemed to be only on working at that time) and asked him to go pick up my mom and kids. This did not seem to be an unusual situation as other families had booked a porter who never showed up and ended up walking to the lobby with their luggage.

Overall, a great experience! I would definitely return.

Room Tip: Units 40, 41, 42 are closest to the lobby and probably preferable if you want to avoid walking a lot.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank CHRO_123
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2012

Dear CHRO_123,

First of all, thank you for share with me and others readers your feedback about your vacation in Grand Palladium.

This information will help us of improve our service.

Secondly, I would like give you my apologies for the inconveniences in your check out. I will check this with our Front Desk Manager.

Please, if we can help you with anything, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Cordially,

Reviewed 9 April 2012

Been back for 2 weeks, seems like a lifetime ago...
Booked through Thomson for 14 nights for four adults, had a fantastic time in the Colonial area of the resort.
Rooms basic but everything you required, beds very comfortable and you do not need to take pillows, as previous reviews, the ones in the room were okay.
Requested rooms together before we went via email, and was given ones next to each other, even smoking and non smoking ,which we were pleased about.
The only thing that lets the hotel down is the beach, which is by no means the hotel's fault, but has only two main areas where you can swim without having to negotiate the rocks.
Make sure you take water shoes with you.
Plenty of sun beds around the beach or around the pools. Especially loved the salt water one.
Plenty of restuarants and bars, never short of food or drink, especially loved the a la carte restuarants and the fact we did not have to book in advance.
Booked the Beach barbecue, but wished we hadn't, chicken not cooked, pork chops all gristle, steak you could sole your shoes with, so went off to the buffet, where you can always find someting to eat.
Did not like the plastic cups around the pools and beach, could have been rigid plastic, much nicer, but that is my personal view.
The only thing that was a problem, at busy times in the restuarants, including the buffet, the staff could not cope and you had to wait for drinks etc.
All the staff were very friendly and very helpful from the entertainment staff to the cleaners.
As far as the Thomson part of the holiday, we found all the trips very expensive and the rep not very obliging.
We booked two trips the Fat Cat boat trip, very good, even though expensive for a half day trip.
The other one we booked was the trip to Tulum, which was not explained fully. We were picked up in a mini bus, as we were the last to be picked up, my wife and myself could not sit together, she ended up sitting in the front seat due to the leg room available. We had chosen this trip for the ruins and for the Cenote snorkling in the under ground caverns. To get to the Cenote it was nearly a hours drive over very rough ground, which we found extremly uncomfortable, and then the same journey back. On reaching Tulum we were rushed around the ruins, approx 1 hour and then on to the restuarant for lunch, with 40 mins on a beach, not a patch on the beach at Tulum, before driving back to the hotel at 16.00 hours. We found the trip very 'rushed' and not worth the money it cost. We complained to the rep, had to chase up twice before being offered a bottle of wine for our inconvenience, the day before returning home.
I feel the rep should describe the trips in more greater detail, especially the part about not sitting together.
Found the public transport very easy to use and loved Ackumel beach, especially the swimming with the turtles, thoroughly recommend a visit.
Would certainly look into another Palladium Hotel, but in another country, I found the journey to Mexico too long, 11 hours in the plane and then another 2 hours to the hotel, very tiring.

Room Tip: Worth an email to the hotel for any specific requirements
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank ChrisEssex456

Dear ChrisEssex456,

Thank you for your time and for share with us your opinion about your vacation in Grand Palladium. For us, it's very important to know the opinion of our guest.

I will check the comments about the BBQ with our chef.

We have hotels in Brasil, Puerto Vallarta, Jamaica and Dominican

Please, if we can help you with anything, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

The only thing we can say that is even slightly negative is that it's going to be awfully hard to find another resort to measure up to Grand Palladium if we decide to go somewhere else next year! Our scuba club travels somewhere every year in January, and the last few years we have chosen the Mayan Riviera region of Mexico because of the excellent diving, awesome resorts, and wonderful weather. This year we had a bigger group than usual - about 26 people (mostly couples), some of whom stayed 1 week, and the rest for 2 weeks. The group consensus is that this is the best resort we've ever stayed at. The restaurants had terrific service and excellent quality food and were all air conditioned (except the seafood by the sea outdoor restaurant). Many of the walkways from the accomodation buildings to the resort restaurants and facilities were covered, and when it was raining (not often, but occasionally in the evenings), it was nice to be able to stay dry. I can't believe how hard the staff work to make sure you're comfortable and well-cared for and they certainly dont' leave much room for criticism. My wife and I were both very impressed with that level of care from people who apparently don't get paid very well. You'd never know it, that's for sure.
We did hear about some thefts (2 different people said they had something stolen), but no one in our group had any problems. In any case, this is a wonderful place and truly makes you feel like you've experienced a bit of paradise on earth....not that Canada is such a bad place, but it does make you wonder why our ancestors settled here instead of Mexico!!!

Room Tip: Can't give any advice on room selection....I think ours was as basic as they come and it was still more than adequate for us. No noise problems, critter problems, or facility problems that I can remember, and the layout of the resort has all ther restaurants central to the accomodation buildings and quite convenient. I know they have "room upgrades" available, but we didn't take advantage of it this time. Maybe next time? We've booked to return at Christmas this year.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
9  Thank Scubadaver

Thank you Scubadaver for taking time to share with us and other readers your comments about your vacation. I am glad to know that you and your group have had a nice time with us.

Please, if we can help you with anything or if you decide to visit us in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Regards,

Reviewed 7 April 2012

Overall, a wonderful trip.

Pros:
1) amazing jungle environment, with beautiful birds, coati, iguana running around. The sounds of the many birds singing in the AM was so peaceful on the beach walk

2) excellent food--not gourmet, but just a notch below, which is saying something when they are serving food en masse like this. The a la cartes are all great, they really try hard to make it a dining experience with ambience, nicely presented food etc

3) snorkeling is quite good just off the beach, free equipment loaners

4) lovely well maintained pools

5) great spa area, no kids allowed in the quiet spa pool, multiple jacuzzis, top notch gym room

6) staff generally very eager to please, cheerful

7) unlike other resorts I've been to, despite being at 100% full booking the place never felt crowded at the beach/rooms. Could always find a chair near beach/pool, though sometimes mid day a bit tough to do so. Wait in a la cartes could be up to an hour or so, but what's the rush with the bars?

A few cons:

1) rooms are dated, but clean and serve the purpose (to sleep, get ready to enjoy the resort)

2) beach is very rocky in most places so difficult to get into the water, though in some places once you get in above your knees the rocks stop. (of course the rocks are part of what makes this area great to snorkel

Other notes:

1) interesting diversity of visitors, at least in this early April trip. Many Spanish, British and about 1/4 American/Canadian, with a smattering of Mexican visitors and random other Europeans. This made it fun, however also meant more smoking (but none in any restaurants so not such a big deal).

2) topless allowed on the beach--only a few each day that I saw, but my 14 year old boy made a note of it certainly.

3) as others have said it is big and walking is necessary, but the trams that run can cut that down quite a bit. the size adds to the fun, exploring.

4) compared to two Dreams resorts I've stayed in previously in Mexico, the service here was slightly inferior in a handful of ways, but the grounds were nicer and the food as good or better

Enjoy!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank hikingfamilyphilly

Dear hikingfamilyphilly,

Thank you for your complete review. I appreciate you time and I will share with our team your comments. This comments are help for us and improve our work.

I would like to know why you say "compared to two Dreams resorts I've stayed in previously in Mexico, the service here was slightly inferior in a handful of ways". It's possible to have more information about this?.

Thank you in advance and if we can help you with anything, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Regards,

dtor.colonialkantenah@fiestahotelgroup.com

Reviewed 4 April 2012

Lovely, we had a wonderful 10 days here. A big complex which was great to explore not a sign of litter! Friendly staff, plenty of food choice.A place for all ages and nationalities. We will be returning in the future. A special mention for the pop staff who work so hard to entertain. BANG ON.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank wayne m
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2012

Dear wayne m,

In behalf of Grand Palladium team, I would like to give you thank you for share with us your excellent comments.

With best regards,