We were sent here by the Sunquest Roulette 5 on March 23rd and thoroughly enjoyed our holiday. We are a couple in our fifties and have travelled to the Mayan Riviera 7 times in the past 5 years and have stayed mainly at 5 star resorts such as Dreams Puerto Adventuris, Riu Palace Mexico, Grand Sirenis, Blue Bay Esmeralda and Barcelo Tropical so we have a lot to compare food/services/beach etc. We are also very much beach people so swimming/walking the beach is an important part of our vacation experience.
First and foremost the ride from the airport is long but can be enjoyed with a couple of coronas to pass the time. Check-in was quick and efficient and and the room in villa 11 was beautiful with an ocean view from the 3rd floor-this was actually the pick of the litter from our travels.
Our location was close to the 24 hour snack bar/pool/beach/Tortuga restaurant and dolphin pool.
We had great breakfast and lunches every day at the Tortuga and a special thanks to David, the Omelet chef who provided excellent service. Also a special thanks to the beach towel guy, Antonio who recommended the snorkeling with the turtles in Akulmel excursion which we very much enjoyed.
Our room was clean and the maid service was very good with different towel art each day. The one problem with our room was the noisy fan that we didn't utilize due to sleep interuption and the air conditioner that seems to be preset to go off later at night so the room got somewhat warm. If only we could have used the fan for extra cooling. The safe is also very small and needs a key-electronic updating is in order.
Our primary issue with the GBP is the food. You only get 3 a la cartes for the week which were adequate, but nothing exceptional and the Yucatan Buffet where we had our other dinners was best described as mediocre. They seemed to run out of the main meat dishes by the time we arrived each night about 8pm-given that the buffet is open until 10:30 pm, a 5 star resort should always have plenty of food and the other resorts we have been to did not have this problem. This needs to be addressed by management-you shouldn't have to go early to the buffet to get the main course!!!
Our only other issue was with the diesel fuelled trams that took you to the Coba, Akulmel sites. The smell of fuel was over whelming at times and not very environmentally friendly from our perspective.
The grounds are beautiful, the beach at the end of the "whales" sandy and very swimable and you can easily walk to any area in Tulum with ease.
Fix the food issue and this resort could live up to its 5 star rating.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 3 pools (including 2 with Jacuzzi for relaxation) 1 Jacuzzi Large sun terrace with loungers and sun umbrellas BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 5 tennis courts, bicycles Motorised sports (additional charge) Water activity and scuba diving centre Entertainment amphitheatres WiFi access in the lobby (24h per day free of charge) and in rooms additional charge) 1 buffet restaurant 3 a la carte restaurants 6 Bars Snack-Bar Wedding gazebo Dolphinarium (additional charge) Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco. Rooms 978 rooms including 4 types: Superior, Superior Junior Suite, Superior Club Hacienda and Club Hacienda Junior Suite. The Junior Suites are larger than the Superior rooms. Room facilities: King size bed (Superior Junior Suites) or 2 full size beds Sitting area (Superior Junior Suites) Fully-equipped bathroom: shower, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer Hydromassage bath tub (Superior Junior Suites) Bathroom amenities Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Radio alarm clock Flat screen satellite TV Mini-bar (included) Coffee-making facilities Safe (additional charge) Ironing set WiFi (additional charge) Club Hacienda rooms (See page 18, Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy a range of specially-tailored facilities: Children's pool Mini Club with activities for children aged 4 to 12 Evening Mini Disco Bahia Scouts Water Park Other services On-site miniature railway providing access to all facilities 24 hour medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Personalised diet option for celiacs and diabetics Cash point Specialised service for organising weddings, events and anniversaries Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and Booking.com so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Tulum reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bahia Principe Tulum
- Tulum Bahia Principe
- Gran Bahia Tulum
- Gran Bahia Principe Tulum Akumal
- Gran Bahia Principe Hotel
- Gran Bahia Principe Riviera Maya
- Gran Principe Tulum
- Gran Bahia Principe Mayan Riviera Resort
- Gran Bahia Principe Mexico
- Grand Bahia Principe Tulum Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico