My husband and I just returned GBP Tulum earlier this week. Overall, the resort was good value for your money. The front desk and guest services staff were very professional and provided excellent service. We had a seamless check-in and we got a room on the floor and in the building we requested (we gave them a few options - it never hurts to ask!). The hotel is starting to show its age a bit, but staff are working very hard to maintain its grounds and amenities (without bothering guests). Book your a la carte restaurants as soon as you check-in, if possible.
Free wireless access is available in the lobby. Wireless access available in the room for $10 USD/day. The key for the room safe is available for 50 pesos/day. Cell phone service was good throughout the resort (GSM).
We stayed in room 3226 (on the third floor) which is on the far side of the Tulum section close to the Akumal section of the resort complex. The room has a fantastic view of the ocean and is near the public beach access road (which wasn't that noisy). There was little clearance under the door which ensured that there were no critters in our room (did not see one!). The fan and A/C worked great and the room was a little musty (which is NORMAL), but it was nothing that a little Febreeze couldn't fix. The room was always cleaned very well. It is important to note that the section of the beach in front of Villa 32 is dedicated to the Sian Kaan section of the GBP resort complex (Tulum guests cannot use the Sian Kaan's bar or loungers on the beach). This did not bother us too much since we only had to walk either way along the beach to find another bar and more seating.
If you're looking for private section of beach with a beautiful view of the ocean (without the breakwaters), walk towards the Hacienda section from the main pool along the beach. A couple great spots in there.
On the Akumal side there is a great beach bar right by the ocean and has a great bartender (Alex).
Restaurants: Highly recommend the Tequila restaurant for dinner. The fajitas and the beef were fantastic. The Arlequin restaurant at the Akumal resort was excellent as well. If you go to one of the seafood restaurants, don't order the seafood grill. The crab was really small and I couldn't figure out how someone would enjoy eating it (I'm used to snow or king crab). If you really like meat, try out the Brazilian restaurant. The servers in all of the restaurants in which we ate were very professional and provided excellent service.
The Best Day Travel agent (this company represents WestJet Vacations) Lili was very helpful with selecting our excursions (and pretty funny too!). We did the Extreme Snorkel excursion with Aventuras Mayas which was lots of fun. Our guide for most of the excursion (Eliu) was very knowledgeable and made us feel completely at ease. I highly recommend swimming with the sea turtles at Akumal Beach (can take taxi there). Also, at the Akumal Beach there is this great beach bar with swing seats which has lots of character.
One final tip: stay away from the people wearing white BHP shirts, they're selling timeshares.
On the whole, we enjoyed our stay and would return again to this resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 3 pools (including 2 with Jacuzzi for relaxation) 1 Jacuzzi Large sun terrace with loungers and sun umbrellas BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 5 tennis courts, bicycles Motorised sports (additional charge) Water activity and scuba diving centre Entertainment amphitheatres WiFi access in the lobby (24h per day free of charge) and in rooms additional charge) 1 buffet restaurant 3 a la carte restaurants 6 Bars Snack-Bar Wedding gazebo Dolphinarium (additional charge) Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco. Rooms 978 rooms including 4 types: Superior, Superior Junior Suite, Superior Club Hacienda and Club Hacienda Junior Suite. The Junior Suites are larger than the Superior rooms. Room facilities: King size bed (Superior Junior Suites) or 2 full size beds Sitting area (Superior Junior Suites) Fully-equipped bathroom: shower, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer Hydromassage bath tub (Superior Junior Suites) Bathroom amenities Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Radio alarm clock Flat screen satellite TV Mini-bar (included) Coffee-making facilities Safe (additional charge) Ironing set WiFi (additional charge) Club Hacienda rooms (See page 18, Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy a range of specially-tailored facilities: Children's pool Mini Club with activities for children aged 4 to 12 Evening Mini Disco Bahia Scouts Water Park Other services On-site miniature railway providing access to all facilities 24 hour medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Personalised diet option for celiacs and diabetics Cash point Specialised service for organising weddings, events and anniversaries Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, HotelQuickly, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Tulum reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bahia Principe Tulum
- Tulum Bahia Principe
- Gran Bahia Tulum
- Gran Bahia Principe Tulum Akumal
- Gran Bahia Principe Hotel
- Gran Bahia Principe Riviera Maya
- Gran Principe Tulum
- Gran Bahia Principe Mayan Riviera Resort
- Gran Bahia Principe Mexico
- Grand Bahia Principe Tulum Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico