“Expected better”

Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Whittle-le-Woods
“Expected better”
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Travelled to this hotel last easter,this was our 1st trip to this particular hotel, but have stayed in GBP other resorts.
Wasn't too impressed at all, as already stated dirty bathrooms,(even having to carry tissue paper round with me, as at least twice daily would visit bathroom to find no paper).
No turn down service either in Diamond section like supposed to be, large groups leaving mess around Tulum pool, which I cleared on a couple of occasions, even after notifying staff, giving them 45mins but no one came, one morning this even involved glass from a party the night before, at 9.45 still not cleared, I actually went over to a guy who was cleaning in the bushes around thre pool and asked him to clear the glass he just nodded, 30mins later I went and took the brush & dustpan from him and did it myself, whilst all the time having to warn people of the glass.
Chicken pink in middle and same with hamburgers in buffet, never been to 5 * resort, and had to inspect food before eating before, fruit bowl which was left in room that contained rotten fruit (great 1st impression)
Never any spoons set on table in Tulum buffet, always had to ask for them (what's that about), sometimes staff said no teaspoons, was given desrt spoon to stir cup of tea(nice 5*, not)

Was invited to vip meeting with Nikki and others told them of problems, they just smiled, before I left resort wrote a 2 page report, of what bad experiences I had, handed it to Nikki, with my email address, never got a reply. The point is I brought to their attention to faults, would get promised by guest services they would get problems sorted, only to find next day it was still the same, I have never spent so much time on holiday, trying to get what I had paid for, it seems guest services promise but cant deliver.
Loved the location, and beach.
Having said all this I would go back if it was on a cheap deal, but wouldn't pay the brochure price.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank AirlineTCX

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,251)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Montreal
Reviewed 27 April 2012

This hotel is one of the 4 Bahia Principe resort in Akumal. The Bahia Principe Coba, Tulum, Akumal & the Sian Ka’an. The Bahia Principe Tulum & Akumal are the closest from the Beach.

It took 2h45 to go there from the Cancun airport, but 1h30 when I came back to the airport... painful...

When you book on one Bahia Principe resorts, you have access on the four resorts amenities such as restaurants, bars & pools. But the distance between the facilities are sometime too far away each other so you will have to use the mini train or golf cart.

I originally booked on the Bahia Principe Coba. On my arrival, no room was available. So they move us to the adjacent hotel, the Bahia Principe Tulum with a free Safety Deposit (normally is 5$/day) & 3 minutes free long distance to North America & free entrance to the Mexican show (once a week for 13$/person there is a 2 hours Mexican show available for Bahia Principe Coba, Tulum, Akumal & Sian Ka’an)

All resort facilities are very clean. Room more look like Cuban resort room but are clean. Buffet are somewhat repetitive and cold. Food more looks like Cuban buffet food too.

The staff of the hotel in each main lobby will irritate & bullied you to buy “privilege package” which give you some privilege access such as Bed on the beach...but not worth the money.

I went at this hotel using the "Riviera Maya Roulette 5" by Sunquest. With Sunquest Roulette you book your resort by star rating and find out the resort at least 3 days before departing. Don't expect to go on a very luxury 5 star resort, 90% are going to the Bahia Principe Coba which is a 4+ resort...a I realized that I paid 100$ more per package with the roulette 5 than book directly for this hotel...so Sunquest, never never again, bad service, they never answered me.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank ticlou
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I think Tulum is the oldest of the four resorts at this location. Resort is very clean. After being in Cayo Coco Cuba I found the food in Tulum not as good but still very adequate. The pool area doesn't have enough chairs around it and could easily support more. Nice list of excursions and we enjoyed our time with the dolphins. We had a few issues with the room that were brought up a number of times and never addressed. Make sure to see your tour representative if you have any issues as the front desk doesn't always log your complaints and ended up swapping rooms due to the fact they wouldn't address the issues with the A/C and the ceiling fan. All and all it was a nice trip but would recommend Coba instead of Tulum as it is newer and has a bar area reserved specifically for its residents.

Room Tip: We stayed in Villa 32 which is at the complete other end of where the Lobby is. If possible request...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Seanatis
Yorkshire
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I travelled with my boyfriend at the end of October as a treat with my first pay cheque. We paid £790 pp for a week. For an all inclusive hotel with a 9 hour flight to get to it I found this very reasonable, especially as we got bumped up to premium seats on the flight.
It was the first all inclusive break either of us had been on and weren't really sure what to expect but we were both impressed with the hotel, facitilities and the buffet and a la carte meals. The food was good quality and the cocktails were delicious. It didn't feel like corners were cut to save money.
We were wanting a relaxing break and it fitted the bill perfectly. The staff were excellent and very friendly and the waiters remembered who drank what at meal times. The grounds were immaculately preserved.
The only disappointment the whole week was the meal at the mexican a la carte restaurant... we were looking forward to mexican food in mexico but the fajitta's were completely unseasoned stir fried veg and meat. We ended up leaving most of the meal and going to the buffet restaurant as the food was barely edible.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Laura W
lancashire
Reviewed 25 April 2012

we stayed at gbp tulum 10th to 24th april 2012,the grounds,pools and reception are 5 star but the rooms are not,there is not a lot wrong with them it is just the fixtures and fittings.The food and the waiters are very good in the restaurants and you get seen to very quickly at reception and the rooms are kept clean.Maybe a kettle in the room in place of a filter coffee maker and more English tv stations,i know you are not in the room all day but it would be nice.If you go with friends to this resort make sure you are in the same hotel as it is quite a walk between these 3 hotels on site,tulum,akumal and coba,coba being quite a way from the beach.The dolphins on site are an added bonus which thomas cook reps dont mention to much only the outsde trips and not much info on the hotel.Hope you dont have any problems but we had 2 not so big problems and found the managers involved could not manage although they look good standing around which seems par for the course these days home and abroad,they had our money and that was it,i would not like to see how they deal with a serious problem.They also add a charge on your bill for wildlife which may not be to much but the cheek of it and considering the price to be with the dolphins you have paid enough not to mention the price of the hotel and safe each day.The wildlife charge is optional and you can cancel it.

Room Tip: rooms 3222 overlook beach and dolphin pool
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank true1
pdx
Reviewed 24 April 2012

We booked this hotel because a friend was getting married on the property. We ended up getting a ground floor room which was great but my friends who have a baby and a large stroller, were placed on the 3rd floor which really sucked for them!

The food was not so hot (cold) and I am a recent vegetarian convert so I had a hard time finding things to eat. I ended up sticking with steamed carrots, rice and fruits/veggies but the pizza (cheese) was pretty good. The pool access and beach chairs was definitely great in the first part of the week but by Thursday it was "get up at 7am and put towels down" or you're out of luck.

The worst part of the trip was when I accidentally stumbled onto the dolphin enclosure. I had just eaten breakfast and was wandering down to the beach when I saw a pool (the same size as the one we were swimming in next door) that was fenced off. This seemed strange so I went closer and saw not one, not two, but five dolphins in a small pool. I don't know if the poor creatures had an underwater area that they could escape too but it was so sad to see them in such a small, artificial area.

I understand people wanting to interact with dolphins but I had to think that if I paid money to swim with dolphins and showed up and saw that tiny pool, I would definitely ask for my money back. It just seemed very unethical to keep them in such a small, terrible environment.

The dolphin pool made me want to check out of the hotel immediately but I was a bridesmaid in my friends wedding and so needed to finish up my stay there. I will not be going back.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank keyestones
Ottawa, ON Canada
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My husband and I just returned GBP Tulum earlier this week. Overall, the resort was good value for your money. The front desk and guest services staff were very professional and provided excellent service. We had a seamless check-in and we got a room on the floor and in the building we requested (we gave them a few options - it never hurts to ask!). The hotel is starting to show its age a bit, but staff are working very hard to maintain its grounds and amenities (without bothering guests). Book your a la carte restaurants as soon as you check-in, if possible.

Free wireless access is available in the lobby. Wireless access available in the room for $10 USD/day. The key for the room safe is available for 50 pesos/day. Cell phone service was good throughout the resort (GSM).

We stayed in room 3226 (on the third floor) which is on the far side of the Tulum section close to the Akumal section of the resort complex. The room has a fantastic view of the ocean and is near the public beach access road (which wasn't that noisy). There was little clearance under the door which ensured that there were no critters in our room (did not see one!). The fan and A/C worked great and the room was a little musty (which is NORMAL), but it was nothing that a little Febreeze couldn't fix. The room was always cleaned very well. It is important to note that the section of the beach in front of Villa 32 is dedicated to the Sian Kaan section of the GBP resort complex (Tulum guests cannot use the Sian Kaan's bar or loungers on the beach). This did not bother us too much since we only had to walk either way along the beach to find another bar and more seating.

If you're looking for private section of beach with a beautiful view of the ocean (without the breakwaters), walk towards the Hacienda section from the main pool along the beach. A couple great spots in there.

On the Akumal side there is a great beach bar right by the ocean and has a great bartender (Alex).

Restaurants: Highly recommend the Tequila restaurant for dinner. The fajitas and the beef were fantastic. The Arlequin restaurant at the Akumal resort was excellent as well. If you go to one of the seafood restaurants, don't order the seafood grill. The crab was really small and I couldn't figure out how someone would enjoy eating it (I'm used to snow or king crab). If you really like meat, try out the Brazilian restaurant. The servers in all of the restaurants in which we ate were very professional and provided excellent service.

The Best Day Travel agent (this company represents WestJet Vacations) Lili was very helpful with selecting our excursions (and pretty funny too!). We did the Extreme Snorkel excursion with Aventuras Mayas which was lots of fun. Our guide for most of the excursion (Eliu) was very knowledgeable and made us feel completely at ease. I highly recommend swimming with the sea turtles at Akumal Beach (can take taxi there). Also, at the Akumal Beach there is this great beach bar with swing seats which has lots of character.

One final tip: stay away from the people wearing white BHP shirts, they're selling timeshares.

On the whole, we enjoyed our stay and would return again to this resort.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Melimelo_12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
1.2 km away
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#74 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,863 reviews

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Tulum? Share your experiences!