For those who are trying to figure out what the difference is between the two resorts; the Gran Bahia Tulum or Coba, I'll tell you since I've been to both. (they are both side by side - "stay at one, play at 3 (akumal too).
Coba - It is the newer addition out of the two. It is located further from the beach. The Akumal buffet restaurant is bigger there. I'd recommend eating there a few times during your trip. I found that the buffet on the Coba side, not only bigger with more seating but more variety in food. Excellent seafood. And fresh churros too!!
Tulum - Closer to the beach. Smaller area than Coba. Highly recommend the Don Pablo restuarant. Its fine dining!
Tulum is closer to the Hacienda which is located directly in front of Tulum. This means you don't have to ride the trolley to get there. You can just walk. The hacienda is a little square "strip mall". There you'll find shops, pharmacy, sports bar, live music, photoshop and the club.
I've stayed at both and loved every minute of it. Tulum, Akumal, and Coba are all side by side and you can "play" at either resort. I found that Tulum was much more convienient for us because we were situated within walking distance of everything (except for when we wanted to eat at Coba). Coba I found we were taking the trolley way too much. And if you ever forgot anything in your room while at the beach, it was a pain to travel all the way back.
Other tips - Go to Playa del Carmen. It is a MUST. Take the collectivo, not a cab. Its a public van that pics you up at the side of the highway right outside the resort. Its $3 US one way. It beats paying $20 for a cab. Bring a bathing suit because there is a public beach. Gorgeous! Lots of shopping to be done there.
Xel-Ha - for snorkling. It is so much fun.
Rent a car - drive to Coba and Tulum ruins. Much cheaper. Not at all scary. Bring a bathing suit to Tulum. A very beautiful place. One of my favorite spots of Mexico.
Hope this helps someone trying to figure out the difference :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 3 pools (including 2 with Jacuzzi for relaxation) 1 Jacuzzi Large sun terrace with loungers and sun umbrellas BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 5 tennis courts, bicycles Motorised sports (additional charge) Water activity and scuba diving centre Entertainment amphitheatres WiFi access in the lobby (24h per day free of charge) and in rooms additional charge) 1 buffet restaurant 3 a la carte restaurants 6 Bars Snack-Bar Wedding gazebo Dolphinarium (additional charge) Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco. Rooms 978 rooms including 4 types: Superior, Superior Junior Suite, Superior Club Hacienda and Club Hacienda Junior Suite. The Junior Suites are larger than the Superior rooms. Room facilities: King size bed (Superior Junior Suites) or 2 full size beds Sitting area (Superior Junior Suites) Fully-equipped bathroom: shower, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer Hydromassage bath tub (Superior Junior Suites) Bathroom amenities Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Radio alarm clock Flat screen satellite TV Mini-bar (included) Coffee-making facilities Safe (additional charge) Ironing set WiFi (additional charge) Club Hacienda rooms (See page 18, Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy a range of specially-tailored facilities: Children's pool Mini Club with activities for children aged 4 to 12 Evening Mini Disco Bahia Scouts Water Park Other services On-site miniature railway providing access to all facilities 24 hour medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Personalised diet option for celiacs and diabetics Cash point Specialised service for organising weddings, events and anniversaries Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, HotelQuickly, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Tulum reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bahia Principe Tulum
- Tulum Bahia Principe
- Gran Bahia Tulum
- Gran Bahia Principe Tulum Akumal
- Gran Bahia Principe Hotel
- Gran Bahia Principe Riviera Maya
- Gran Principe Tulum
- Gran Bahia Principe Mayan Riviera Resort
- Gran Bahia Principe Mexico
- Grand Bahia Principe Tulum Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico