“Royal Golden- Royal Disappointment”

Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed 24 October 2011

I have been to Mexico many times and I have never read so many positive reviews as I have for GBP coba. After staying there I must conclude that many of the people writing them have never been to a 5 star resort before. This is not a 5 star resort a 3.5 or a 4, it is lacking in too many areas to be considered a 5 star.
Pros
Beautifully manicured grounds and facilities
Excellent snorkeling and swimming
Beautiful beach
Great service and friendly staff-Jose at the coba Beach bar was wonderful
Excellent shuttle service throughout the complex

Cons
Outdated, worn rooms that you do not want to spend anymore time than you have to in
Buffets where the same recycled food over and over again - food temperatures were questionable - my wife was sick with food poisoning for 2 days
3 out of 6 days we were woken up before 8:00 with lawnmowers and maids wanting to clean your room and they don't show up until 5:00 pm when your getting ready for dinner
I emailed Felix a week before with requests and only received half of them and with no response if he received my emails
Unsure why they charge $15 each for Mexican fiesta just to watch Mexican dancing which is free at other resorts
Royal golden upgrade is not worth the extra money for 1 extra a la carte when the rooms are the same as the rest
First time i've had to pay for safe - come on like I choice where to keep my valuables for an entire week
They try to sneak an " ecological fee" into your final bill
Dolphin swimming pool is disturbingly sad and overpriced
A lot of the smaller pool bars were closed

All in all the resort is alright if your looking for a cheap mediocre vacation then this place is for you, for those of you who keep coming back I would suggest you try somewhere else, there are a lot of other nicer hotels in the Mayan riviera.

• Stayed: October 2011
17  Thank Nomax
GuestServicePr, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2011

Dear 'Nomax',

Thank you for your coming back to us this way and informing us about your recent stay. Herewith I kindly ask you to please accept my apologies for the fact you could not fully enjoy your vacation. Nevertheless, I would like to thank you also for your recognition for Jose, our bartender at the beach who will be delighted.

Regarding your feedback be ensured I have reviewed all the points and will discuss them today in our Management Meeting with my team.
Nevertheless, please allow me to review your concern regarding our Food and Beverages. In order to provide a broad variety to all of our guests eating at the buffet we implemented a daily theme. Therefore our buffet topics are as follow: Monday: Italian, Tuesday: French, Wednesday: Spanish, Thursday: Mexican, Friday: Carribean, Saturday: Gala and last but not least on Sunday: International. Furthermore I would like to mention the fact that we have won several safety and food certificates, not only the previous years but continously this year.
I do apologize for the early wake up from our Housekeeping staff, nevertheless please note that this is a common routine to double check if our guests already left the room to go for instance to the beach. Therefore many of our guests contact our recepecion desk and inform us about their preferred timing to clean the room which then helps us to enter and clean your room when you prefer.
Additionally, please let me outline that, in case I received it, have answered all emails within 48 hours. This has been stated various times in other guest' comments throughout tripadvisor. My team and I are putting high attention on great customer service and certainly do our best to answer in an acceptable time frame.
Concerning the ecological fee, please note also that this is not any fee we are trying to 'sneak' in to your bill. The ecological fee is an volountary option to invest approximately 5 US$ into the local turtle foundation. We have never asked any of our guests to pay this fee, and once at check out you will be asked if you like to accept or decline it. Last but not least I would like to mention some of the advantages of the Golden Club upgrade. Indeed all the rooms we provide in Coba are Junior Suites. However the Golden Club package is a service upgrade which means that it includes among others, free Computer and Internet use, bath robes and slippers, an additional dinner reservation, Room Service 24 Hours, check in a seperate lobby and others.

Once again I kindly ask you to please accept my apologies and I do hope you give us the opportunity to visit us again. Everybody deserves a second chance, and therefore please do not hesitate to contacting me three to four weeks prior your next arrival.

For now I wish you all the best for back home, take care,

Email: guestservicepremierbpcob@bahia-principe.com

Write a ReviewReviews (14,089)

Reviewed 24 October 2011

Our "boys only" golf trip went perfectly. Thanks to Luis Perez, guest service manager, and all his staff for an outstanding job. Sorry I missed Felix Schlokat due to his vacation time.

Ride down in the rental car was a bit dangerous on the flooded highway. Lots of accidents due to 14+ inches of rain over the Oct 14 weekend made the ride to the resort slow. But we made it back to the airport in 1 hour 5 minutes thanks to the Playa del Carmen flyover bridges.

Everyone is right: food is very good at all restaurants including buffets, rooms were very comfortable, the resort is HUGE in total but constant shuttle trains make it fine.

Not many write about the golf course, so I'll focus on it. We had a package that included so called "free golf" but had a $65US per person mandatory cart fee (yikes!). That was a little steep. But the course was in great shape despite the torrential rains on our arrival day.

Golf pro Rodolfo Garcia runs a very good show. Email ahead for tee times if you wish. His staff including Alfredo the starter sport great customer service & many good jokes. Shuttle drivers are always on time, so if you're booked for a 7:30am lobby pick up, be there or others will be waiting for you. And throw the driver a buck, will ya?

Carts have GPS, just make sure your hill brake works before starting out...we almost had an incident due to this. Drink cart comes around every few holes, includes soft drinks & chips/snacks/candy bars but NO BOOZE! Other resorts sporting the All-Inclusive golf experience include booze and even sandwiches on the course. Maybe room for improvement here. As well, no place to eat in the club house??? Very surprising. If you want to eat, you could shuttle back to the resort I guess. Very inconvenient. But the newly opened sparkling white club house palace is set up to handle huge groups.

Rental clubs are new Callaways, but we brought our own. Nice driving range w/20 ball bucket included.

The course is cut beautifully. Generous fairways, rough is short, but the jungle seemed to attract my ball on many holes. Beware wild jaguars in the jungle (not really...just tell the wife so she won't want to golf with you & enjoy the alone time!). We found plenty of balls needless to say. But do look out for ant hills & skeeters...wear plenty of bug spray & sun lotion.

Sand traps cut crispy with very good quality fluffy sand. Water hazards were often cenotes filled, and other dry cenotes came into play on many holes making it a picturesque experience. Greens definitely had grain, so three-putts were everywhere when we didn't get on our knees to feel it first. But they rolled very well even after what looks like recent aerifying in spots.

We've played Mayakoba, Iberostar Paraiso, and Playacar CC, and think this course is teasing with tops on the list (although all three competitors are very strong). Bring your camera & your A-game. Enjoy the game from the right set of tees...blue tees will definitely humble you so move up to white if you shoot 90+ please. Pro tees are laughably long.

-SeaBass

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank SeaBass

Dear 'SeaBass',

Herewith I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time to inform us about your recent stay. Let me express my appreciation for your recognition to my colleague Luis, I certainly will pass your kind words on to him.

Please note that it has been a pleasure hosting you and our team will be looking forward to welcoming you back here soon.

Have a safe stay back home,

My kindest regards,

Reviewed 24 October 2011

Judging from all the positive reviews and ratings it should be an easy decision to go here. We have been here seven times, and next month will make it eight. Some people ask why we would keep going to the same place, and the answer is clear, it is just that nice. The service is first class, the grounds are spotless, food is excellent and drinks are top shelf.
The resort is very large, three resorts in one, lots to do, large beach for swimming and/or walking. There are three large, air conditioned gyms and all the equipment works and is kept clean.
The walk to the beach from Coba is 7 minutes, or you can take trams which run constantly.
The a la carte restaurants are all excellent with chef prepared food, as to which one is best, is up to personal choice.
There is a golf course across the highway which is part of the resort. It is beautiful and very difficult. There is an executive 9 hole (all par 3's) course and it is also kept immaculate. You can play the executive 9 hole course to get your golf fix in and it does not affect your sun or beach time as you can play 9 holes in about an hour. The large course is very difficult, and most people lose at least a dozen balls. You better bring your "A" game. If you do not want to get frustrated try the 9 hole course first. Both courses are like a carpet. They have Calloway clubs for their rentals. If you are not at this resort and play here the cost is $235. U.S./person, but if you are a guest here the cost is $65 U.S.which includes a cart. (club rental is extra). Executive 9 hole is cheaper . There is a refreshment cart that frquents both courses and everything is FREE, soft drinks, water, beer, sandwiches and snacks. Tipping is a great idea if you want to see them more often. Carts are manditory, and that is the only thing you are paying for (other than club and shoe rental).
Service at Coba greets you the minute you arrive. Everybody here works so hard to make your stay effortless.
The Guest Serices Manager: Felix Scholkat is totally awesome. He works unbelievable hours to please all the guests and is always visable running, yes running to alleviate any issue or concern of guests staying here.
Whatever Felix says he is going to do, consider it done. Everyone comments about him, and once you meet him, you will see why. Felix is to be commended!
This resort offers everything, from scuba, snorkling, golf, active pools, quiet pools, excursions of all kinds, it is truely hard to beat.
Looking forward to being there next month, and again in the new year!
Special mention to Victor (consierge), Paulino (bar services), Abrahan (cozumel restaurant) and Salucia (Lobby bar)

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ofd270

Dear 'ofd270',

It has been an honor hosting you here again at our Gran Bahia Principe Coba hotel. Furthermore I would like to express my thanks for your feedback and especially for returning to us soon again.

I am more than delighted that you have been completely satisfied with the services received by some of my employees and colleagues. I will make sure Victor, Paulino, Abrahan and Salucia will receive your kind words. Additionally to that I would like to thank you for your kind words in regard to my person.

We will be looking forward to having you here with us soon. Please do not hesitate to contacting us prior your next arrival three to four weeks before.

For now I wish you agreat day,

Reviewed 23 October 2011

This is our second trip to the Riviera Maya and so happy we came back. The Gran Bahia Principe Coba was an amazing resort. The staff was very friendly, hotel was super clean, beach was beautiful. The water was crystal clear and the sand was like powder. The pools were very good, great entertainment. Tony from Miami was pretty cool. Always made sure our stay was good and that we were taken care of. The food was good, lots of variety. Hacienda Don Isabel was awesome. It was like being in a little small town in Mexico. You have access to all 3 Bahia hotels, Coba, Akumal, and Tulum with a short trolley ride. I do recommend this hotel. I will return in the near future.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Josie76
GuestServicePr, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2011

Dear 'Josie76',

Let me thank you for taking the effort to inform us about your recent stay at our hotel. I am delighted to note that my staff and team went the extra mile to provide you with an excellent service throughout your vacation. I will definitely pass your kind words on as it makes us proud to see the results of hard work.

Please do not hesitate to contacting us three to four week sprior your next arrival in order to answer any questions or requests.

I wish you a great day,

Reviewed 23 October 2011

This hotel is simply remarkable, and the service is commendable. Whilst having breakfast one day, we overheard a Canadian woman say to a member of staff "whoever's running this power house is doing one heck of a job" and I'd have to agree.

Before departing, we dropped an email to Felix to enquire about a specific villa we wanted to stay in. Felix responded promptly and assured us that he would do what he can to provide us with our request, which we were extremely impressed with.

When arriving in Cancun we hired a car with America Car Rental (great prices and full insurance included - even for drivers under 25) and drove to the resort. Gran Bahia Principe is quite a bit south of Cancun, on the Riviera Maya and the drive takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes, but it's worth it!

The hotel is stunning, set within a vast protected eco forest (warning: mosquito paradise), Coba is the newest of the three hotels within the same complex (Tulum and Akumal). The receptionist at check in was friendly and informative and Felix managed to get us a room in Villa 3a - which we'd asked for.

The rooms, sorry suites, are a fantastic size. With the super king bed, a seating area, television, balcony, all inclusive mini bar and coffee machine. The bathroom is also a good size, with a jacuzzi bath.

The grounds are really beautiful, and everything is within walking distance. In fact we really only used the buggies to get to Tulum or the Hacienda. We headed to the Akumal pool most days because it was close to the beach, but the Coba pools are all nice as well. The entertainers are engaging without being overbearing. The Mexican party happens every Thursday - and we were lucky enough to go when it was Mexican's Independence Day which was fantastic.

Food is great. We had 6 a la carte meals, and went to the Japanese, Mexican, Italian, French (Le Gourmet), Brazilian, Mediterranean. The Japanese was our favourite. One thing I would say is that, all of these restaurants looked near identical (apart from the Japanese). If the decor was representative of the theme then it would add differentiation to the restaurants and give the impression that you are eating somewhere new each night.

We flew to Mexico City for a few days (which we'd recommend) and we had no concerns that our property wouldn't be safe whilst we were away. If you do this - fly with Volaris. Cheaper than Viva Aerobus and service better than British Airways!

The dolphins are a new attraction at the Tulum side of the resort. A great experience, although felt a tad bullied to buy the photographs and video afterwards, which cost more than the experience itself. The staff barter on the price and hurry you into a decision. If you've got someone taking photos from the side for you, make sure to be a bit more firm with them than we were or at least go away and think about it before buying as they keep the images stored for 24 hours.

Day trips vary and there's plenty to do in the Riviera Maya. After visiting Teotihuacan in Mexico City, we visited Tulum and decided against Chichen Itza as it was a bit further away and there's only so many pyramids you can awe at! Snorkelling at Yal Ku Lagoon in Akumal is highly recommended, stunning location with lots of fish.

The iguanas, ant eaters and raccoons are all really cute and don't bother you.

The staff are all very well trained and do everything that they can to ensure that you have a fantastic holiday.

One of the best holidays we've been on and would definitely return to Bahia Principe Coba.

Recommended if you're considering heading to the Riviera Maya.

Room Tip: Try and stay in villa 3,4 or 5 as these are near the Premier lobby for evening cocktails and the poo...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank FrazJam

Dear 'FrazJam',

Thank you very much for your kind words in regard to your vacation you spent at our Gran Bahia Principe Coba facility. Furthermore I would like to thank you for your recognition to my staff. I am proud to have a team which gave their best in order you could fully enjoy your vacation.

Whenever you return do not hesitate to contacting us three to four weeks prior your arrival please. Then we will be able to answer any concerns you might have.

Take care, have a safe stay back home and I will be looking forward to welcoming you back here soon.

My kindest regards from sunny Mexico,

Reviewed 22 October 2011

We have stayed at the Bahia before and wanted to return to the wonderfully safe, clean resort again. From our check in to check out staff were pleasant and helpful. The rooms are kept clean and tidy and the cute towel creature done daily are a pleasing surpise. Remember to tip your chambermaids and bar stockers to ensure an expectionally tidy space. The rooms have plenty of room for all your sports equipment, luggage and personals all can be placed neatly out of site in huge closets with multiple doors. The washroom is big enough to consider your personal spa (though there is a spa on site and reasonably priced). The balconies are small but perfect for privacy for a nice start with your morning coffee.
Meals are never far away. With nice little cabana coffee shops, huge buffets with some fabulous chef specials, and the Ala Cartes are such a nice experience. We had a chance to stop in at the Brazilian restaurant...you want to be a meat lover here!! My goodness they don't leave you waiting for anything. We had a lovely time experiencing Japanese dining watching our cook slice and dice right infront of us. Great social gathering environment.
Pools are plenty and lots of room both for sunbathing and swimming and enjoying your aqua arobics. Never have to worry about getting a lounge chair....(some resorts this is truly an issue)
Will definetely be back again.
Only draw back was some type of no see'm bugs that showed up at dusk and did some crazy bites on my legs this year. This did not happen in previous visit.

Room Tip: Nice to find a room that is close to your pool but not right on top of it so you can enjoy a moment...
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank netlie
GuestServicePr, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2011

Dear 'netlie',

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to provide us with some important information regarding your recent stay at Gran Bahia Principe Coba.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and we will be looing forward welcoming you here soon again. Please do not hesitate to contacting us again three to four weeks prior your next arrival.

Have a great day,

Email: guestservicepremierbpcob@ahia-principe.com

Reviewed 22 October 2011

I stayed at Coba for 5 nights with my boyfriend in October. We're from New York and we found this resort to be a fantastic break from the hustle and bustle of city life. Believe all the good reviews on TripAdvisor -- that's how I came to pick this resort, and we are definitely planning to go back. To make this short and not rehash previous reviews, here are a couple of tips and notes on the resort:

- Bring hair conditioner! Your hair gets very dried very fast from the pool and the beach
- Try Xplor- it's a really cool "theme park" with four activities, ziplining being the highlight in my opinion. You can book a day trip at the hotel or go on your own (take the colectivo for $3USD- ask the front desk for more info, and if you book online 3 days in advance you get 10% off admission tickets)
- Don't exchange your money at the airport! Maybe it's common knowledge, but we got a 10.8 Pesos to 1USD rate at the Cancun airport, and at the hotel it was 12 pesos to 1 dollar. -Sigh
- Bring water shoes
- Remember to tip these awesome people you're going to meet at the resort. All our waiters were so friendly and helpful, always making sure we had enough tequila
- Email your requests for a la carte meals and room preferences early. I requested a room by the pool on a higher floor and got building 31, second floor. We were right next to the pool and it was a terrific, convenient location

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank elusiveon3

Dear 'elusiveon3',

On behalf of the entire Gran Bahia Principe team I would like to say 'Thank you' for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel facility.

It makes us happy to read that you fully enjoyed your vacation and will be looking forward to seeing you here again soon. For now I wish you all the best for back home,

Email: guestservicepremierbpcob@ahia-principe.com