First off let me say I would not call this a true 5 star resort. After I read my own review I even wondered about the 4 star rating. This place is huge if taken in context with the other two resorts. It's also a fair drive from the airport if you do the milk run and stop at mutiple resorts along the way. It is not intimate resort and you never seem to see the same people on a daily basis. Even the staff seems to rotate to different locations.
CHECK IN: was simple and very quick but that also depends on the number of arrivals. Front desk staff did not seem to speak English as well as many of the resorts we were at previously so my very weak Spanish was put to the test.
CHECK OUT: totally different story. We booked a pick up from our room at 11:00 AM and after repeated calls to the front assurring us "they are on the way", we walked dragging our luggage to the front to wait another hour to check out. If it wasn't for the kindness of several folks from Alberta and Toronto allowing us to queue jump we may have missed our shuttle to the airport.
ROOMS: Ours was spacious with a king sized bed, fold out sofa, soaker tub and a large bathroom. The room had the obligatory musty smell from the humidity (no bathroom fan) and a bed that was as soft as a sheet of plywood. We were close to the Iguana bar and quiet pool as we had requested and that was appreciated. Our fridge was not working, our TV remote wasn't working and the shower fell off the wall. I visited the front desk and all was resolved in a very expeditious manner. The maid did a very good job and always left us a cute towel animal.
POOLS: Many all over the resorts, no reserving chairs and if you followed that rule you were out of luck. Chairs were in very short supply. We never got service at any of the pools we were at and some of the bars could have used extra bartenders.
BEACH: the Coba beach is a fair walk and you can take the frequent shuttles. There are lots of chairs but get taken up quickly. The Coba beach is actually in front of the Akumal resort but did not seem to get any table service. The beach bars could also use extra bartenders. The protected is safe and shallow. The other surrounding beaches are rocky with coral and not swimmable.
GROUNDS: impeccable, lucious and very well maintained. This place was always spotless and staff were always working very hard.
STAFF: friendly and very helpful.
BUFFET: ordinary to say the least. There really is nothing that makes the place stand out. The food is palatable, never hot and really just plain ordinary. The theme changes every night but it really doesn't change that much. Food runs out and takes some time to get replenished. Staff service is OK but a little slow on the refills.
AL A CARTES: the ones we ate at were very good and we have no complaints. The service was outstanding. The reservation system to get to them is a joke!!! I have no suggestions on this matter. We found that money talks at these places and we got in to many of them with a bit of a carrott on a stick. (green backs work).
ENTERTAINMENT: too late a start at 10:00 pm in Coba. Tulum has 9 pm shows and the Michael Jackson show was amazing. The other shows are typical and as to be expected.
SYNOPSIS: too big, very impersonal, excellent grounds and friendly staff and name brand liquors.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 2 lake-style pools 3 Jacuzzis Large sun terrace and gardens with sun umbrellas and loungers Pool and beach towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 5 tennis courts, basketball court, bicycles Motorised sports (additional charge) Water activity centre Entertainment amphitheatre WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) Buffet restaurant 4 a la carte restaurants 8 Bars 2 Snack bar Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest. Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco Rooms 1080 rooms including 4 types: Superior Junior Suite, Club Golden Junior Suite, Family Junior Suite and Master Family Suite. Room facilities: Two full size beds or a king size bed Sitting area with sofa Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, shower, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer Bathroom amenities Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Radio alarm clock Flat screen satellite TV Mini-bar Coffee-making facilities Safe (additional charge) Ironing set Terrace Wifi Family Junior Suites and Master Family Suites the perfect choice for families, including: All the facilities and services of a Junior Suite Bathrobes and slippers for all the family for use during your stay Children's bath kit Welcome basket with sweets Mini-bar with juices, shakes, milk and soft drinks for children Two fully independent connecting rooms (Master Family Suites) Club Golden Junior Suites Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy a range of specially-tailored facilities: Children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Bahia Scouts Water Park Teen's Club (11 - 16 years) Baby Station Other services On-site miniature railway providing access to all facilities Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Personalised diet option for celiacs and diabetics Cash point Specialised service for organising weddings, events and anniversaries Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity.ca, Booking.com, HotelQuickly and Agoda so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Coba reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Coba Akumal
- Hotel Gran Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Coba Mexico
- Gran Bahia Coba
- Gran Bahia Principe Resort Coba
- Gran Bahia Principe Coba Hotel
- Gran Principe
- Gran Bahia Principe Mexico
- Bahia Coba
- Grand Bahia Principe Coba Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico