My husband and I just returned from a week at the Coba. We used Trip Advisor reviews to pick the resort. It was my 2nd trip to Mexico and my husbands 1st. Overall we loved the resort but found had a few beefs as well.
Air Transat out of Toronto was terrific. Flight was on time and the meal was really good, especially for airline food. We had no problem going through customs at the airport and we could easily spot our Transat Vacation reps outside the terminal for our bus. It was a long bus ride to the resort approx 1 hr 45 but it was a comfortable air conditioned coach. The only other stop was the Barcelo resort along the way. The bus dropped us off at the main lobby at the Coba resort and we were quickly whisked away in a golf cart to the Royal Golden lobby for check in. I highly recommend upgrading to Golden. Loved the bathrobes and slippers and our room in building 2A is closest to the beach. The bartender Jorge in the Golden lobby is great and we had a drink there each night before dinner.
DRINKS at this place are not watered down in the least. In fact we found it the opposite and a couple of times we couldn't drink them they were so strong. My go to fave were the Pina Coladas (try the Miami Vice at the quiet pool bar too). Watch out for Jorge at the Golden lobby cause he loves to get you to do Tequila shots!!
The CLEANLINESS of this place was astounding. I mean not a piece of garbage anywhere and the gardening crew were constantly cutting down any yellowing palm branches. The gounds are beautiful...very impressive. We couldn't stop taking pictures of the place it was so pretty! There was always someone sweeping, wiping or mopping everywhere you looked too!
Our ROOM was on the 3rd floor and really clean and spacious. We met some fellow Canadians (we Canadians overrun the place lol) who said they woke to find someone going through their luggage at 2am. He was spooked and ran out the sliding doors. They were on the ground floor so I suggest 2nd or 3rd. We tipped our maid $2/day and she did a great job. We had towel art on our bed 4 days which was fun! Our mini bar was always stocked with pop, XXX beer, bag of chips and a snickers bar! Yes, the bed was hard but we managed to sleep really well on it!
The SERVICE whether at the restaurants or bars was incredible. We would pick a table at the
buffet and within a minute someone was there to greet us with water and offer a cocktail! The service is something that really stood out to us!
We had some issues with the food. I'm not a picky eater so I managed to find lots at the buffet to eat...in fact I gained about 10 lbs last week. My husband on the other hand survived on chicken strips and fruit. Our favorite a la carte was LE GOURMET and my husband loved all of his dinner and dessert. He had a raspberry flambe he's still talking about! We also had a show table at the Japanese restaurant MIKADO which was fun. The food was pretty good but I swear the "Filet" was stewing beef. We hated the Italian restaurant PORTOFINO. Oh, except the mushroom soup, it was awesome but the rest we had was inedible (cannelonni and pork tenderloin). We cancelled our 4th a la carte in favor of the Kukulkan buffet. They have a huge selection. The snack bars are just ok. I had a really sketchy looking hot dog one day that had black marks on it. I thought it was just grill marks until I realized they were boiled not grilled! I was quite disturbed! I'm not saying the food is horrible, just not what a 5 star should be.
If you want a lounge chair at the POOL you have to get there by 6:30 to reserve it. On our last day the manager came around and asked us when we last saw someone using the reserved chairs next to us. If they hadn't been there within the hour then the towels were removed. So if you do reserve a spot and you get there later in the day and there are other people there it was likely management who cleared the way! I'd reserve a spot at the quiet pool at 6 and go there right after breakfast.
The beach was nice, only a 5 min walk for us from our room. Any time of day there were always chairs available, we sometimes had to walk a bit but the further you get from the music the more chairs there were.
This resort is huge but there was always a tram going by which we could hop on if we wanted but mostly we walked everywhere. If you forget anything at home you can certainly find it in one of the dozens of shops on the resort. We spent 2 hours shopping one day at the Hacienda. You can even buy luggage!!
The wildlife on the resort was amazing. We saw deer, coatis, and iguanas every day. If you are deathly afraid of Iguanas or lizards, stay away cause they are everywhere! They are like little statues though so you can easily snap a picture!
All in all we had a wonderful time. It's great value for your money and the resort is spectacular except for the food.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 2 lake-style pools 3 Jacuzzis Large sun terrace and gardens with sun umbrellas and loungers Pool and beach towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 5 tennis courts, basketball court, bicycles Motorised sports (additional charge) Water activity centre Entertainment amphitheatre WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) Buffet restaurant 4 a la carte restaurants 8 Bars 2 Snack bar Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest. Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco Rooms 1080 rooms including 4 types: Superior Junior Suite, Club Golden Junior Suite, Family Junior Suite and Master Family Suite. Room facilities: Two full size beds or a king size bed Sitting area with sofa Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, shower, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer Bathroom amenities Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Radio alarm clock Flat screen satellite TV Mini-bar Coffee-making facilities Safe (additional charge) Ironing set Terrace Wifi Family Junior Suites and Master Family Suites the perfect choice for families, including: All the facilities and services of a Junior Suite Bathrobes and slippers for all the family for use during your stay Children's bath kit Welcome basket with sweets Mini-bar with juices, shakes, milk and soft drinks for children Two fully independent connecting rooms (Master Family Suites) Club Golden Junior Suites Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy a range of specially-tailored facilities: Children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Bahia Scouts Water Park Teen's Club (11 - 16 years) Baby Station Other services On-site miniature railway providing access to all facilities Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Personalised diet option for celiacs and diabetics Cash point Specialised service for organising weddings, events and anniversaries Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, Travelocity.ca, Booking.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Coba reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Coba Akumal
- Hotel Gran Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Coba Mexico
- Gran Bahia Coba
- Gran Bahia Principe Resort Coba
- Gran Bahia Principe Coba Hotel
- Gran Principe
- Gran Bahia Principe Mexico
- Bahia Coba
- Grand Bahia Principe Coba Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico