Just got back from the Bahia Principe Coba; we were there March 28 to April 4
Overall the resort is the same as it was 2 years ago; same setting, same friendly staff and same experience. We stayed at the Royal Golden condo 5 third floor; I am writing up an in-depth review with some pointers which may help in making the write decisions when you are there or at least prepare you.
The Coba is one of three resorts tied together (Tulum and Akumal are the other 2)
The Coba is maybe 15 minutes from the beach
There are over 3000 rooms at the three resorts so it could have close to 9-12k people there
Since the resort is quite large there is walking to be done or you can wait a max of 10 minutes to catch a shuttle; not sure why people complain about this part of the trip as they should know if they read trip advisor.
My experience with people on vacation is mostly positive but did meet some people who can not be pleased by anything they experience while there which leads me to think that they are not happy at home either. One thing I am embarrassed about being a Canadian is why do some of us have to be so arrogant and think they are superior to others; I did meet many real good folks but a trend seems to be starting with some our younger folks; my experience was they tend to butt into line, talk on their cell phones have no social skills other then texting all the time and when they do talk be the loudest at the pool and smoke right next to everybody and play their music so we can all hear it.
I have read some people criticizing the air conditioner not being cold enough; well folks not sure how cold you need it but the first thing to do is make sure the balcony door is closed since it is connected to the air conditioner; if the door is open then the air is not on. Secondly we noticed that the maid/cleaning person sometimes would turn it warmer or shut it off when they were in so make sure if you go back to the room during the day that you turn it back on. Thirdly we noticed a big difference if you left the ceiling fan on as it circulated the air very well. Room was cleaned very well every day, and the fridge stocked up. Yes the beds are harder then we like; we had a mattress pad on ours so that helped some for sure.
Have read and heard some folks complain about the pools and how people place towels on the chairs; I agree that this is inconvenient but I made sure I was up early every morning and never had a problem getting 3 chairs at the quiet pool ( if you leave your room after 7am you could have problems getting chairs); I too feel that some people abuse the chairs as sometimes I never seen anybody come for the chairs till late in the day but hey I'm on vacation and I am not about to let this behavior bother me. By the way talking to people on the bus and at the airport it appears that all resorts are doing this so if all are doing this why complain about it as it appears that this is the system in the Riviera. (have to adapt)
Trip to resort
This trip completely depends on how many other people on the bus are from other resorts; we were lucky on both ends of our trip this time as it took 1hr 10min each way as there were no other people on the bus to drop off or pick up. Not sure why people complain about the trip all the time; if you read the reviews and still book the trip to this resort you have to be prepared for 1h 10 min to 2 hrs; that's just the way it is.
lots of chairs; lots of wind at spring break and lots of rock; not the nicest beach you will find but it is the ocean and what's not to like; blue water, drinks close by and lots of sun and the sand is better then anything you will find in Alberta. Oh bye the way some people are topless on the beach.
This is my pet peeve with folks; in fact I met one of these people at the resort complaining about not enough selection at buffets and food bland at Ala Carte's. Seriously !! not sure about most of you but the large buffet in the Coba must have a hundred things to pick from how can you not find something to eat; the smaller one has less options for supper but it's breakfast is great. One pointer for folks is to go as soon as the buffet opens if you wait till later then the food does get cold and or dry. Yes many things are fried but what do people expect when making a meal for 5000 people or more; there are many many choices. The AlaCartes were outstanding; the chicken and steak were all good and the seafood we had were good as well.
The staff were all very good and I even felt bad for them as some of them were sweating profusely; according to them it was very hot for them this early in the season. They are professional, courteous and if you engage them in conversation they seem to appreciate it. I tipped them all based on the service (at least a buck) and they even remember where we liked to sit for breakfast when we came in and that my wife liked a certain type of tea.
Ok people may have a point here; I found the beer at the swim up bars not very good this time round but other drinks made up for it for sure; I do not like sweet drinks but tried some anyways since they are free.
Basically everything I have written above. is pro and I would gladly go back; for what it's worth I met 2 different couples who have stayed in the Riviera 8 times and this is their favourite resort; I also met a couple who did not stay this time as they wanted a new experience and they wished they had come back to the Coba. Not that their resort was bad but there were many little things.
I have stomach issues and one day did feel ill and had to stay near the washrooms while at the pool; not sure what happened as my son got ill that night and my wife 2 days later on the day we left; their issues were upset stomach only but it passed quickly. Might have been a bug from somebody else passed to us somehow but it did not wreck our vacation.
That's it; if you book it enjoy yourselves and I hope you will write a review as well.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 2 lake-style pools 3 Jacuzzis Large sun terrace and gardens with sun umbrellas and loungers Pool and beach towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 5 tennis courts, basketball court, bicycles Motorised sports (additional charge) Water activity centre Entertainment amphitheatre WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) Buffet restaurant 4 a la carte restaurants 8 Bars 2 Snack bar Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest. Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco Rooms 1080 rooms including 4 types: Superior Junior Suite, Club Golden Junior Suite, Family Junior Suite and Master Family Suite. Room facilities: Two full size beds or a king size bed Sitting area with sofa Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, shower, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer Bathroom amenities Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Radio alarm clock Flat screen satellite TV Mini-bar Coffee-making facilities Safe (additional charge) Ironing set Terrace Wifi Family Junior Suites and Master Family Suites the perfect choice for families, including: All the facilities and services of a Junior Suite Bathrobes and slippers for all the family for use during your stay Children's bath kit Welcome basket with sweets Mini-bar with juices, shakes, milk and soft drinks for children Two fully independent connecting rooms (Master Family Suites) Club Golden Junior Suites Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy a range of specially-tailored facilities: Children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Bahia Scouts Water Park Teen's Club (11 - 16 years) Baby Station Other services On-site miniature railway providing access to all facilities Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Personalised diet option for celiacs and diabetics Cash point Specialised service for organising weddings, events and anniversaries Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, Travelocity.ca, Booking.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Coba reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Coba Akumal
- Hotel Gran Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Coba Mexico
- Gran Bahia Coba
- Gran Bahia Principe Resort Coba
- Gran Bahia Principe Coba Hotel
- Gran Principe
- Gran Bahia Principe Mexico
- Bahia Coba
- Grand Bahia Principe Coba Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico