“Just got back from a great trip”

Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Grande Cache Alberta, Canada
“Just got back from a great trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

Just got back from the Bahia Principe Coba; we were there March 28 to April 4
Overall the resort is the same as it was 2 years ago; same setting, same friendly staff and same experience. We stayed at the Royal Golden condo 5 third floor; I am writing up an in-depth review with some pointers which may help in making the write decisions when you are there or at least prepare you.
The Coba is one of three resorts tied together (Tulum and Akumal are the other 2)
The Coba is maybe 15 minutes from the beach
There are over 3000 rooms at the three resorts so it could have close to 9-12k people there
Since the resort is quite large there is walking to be done or you can wait a max of 10 minutes to catch a shuttle; not sure why people complain about this part of the trip as they should know if they read trip advisor.
My experience with people on vacation is mostly positive but did meet some people who can not be pleased by anything they experience while there which leads me to think that they are not happy at home either. One thing I am embarrassed about being a Canadian is why do some of us have to be so arrogant and think they are superior to others; I did meet many real good folks but a trend seems to be starting with some our younger folks; my experience was they tend to butt into line, talk on their cell phones have no social skills other then texting all the time and when they do talk be the loudest at the pool and smoke right next to everybody and play their music so we can all hear it.
Rooms
I have read some people criticizing the air conditioner not being cold enough; well folks not sure how cold you need it but the first thing to do is make sure the balcony door is closed since it is connected to the air conditioner; if the door is open then the air is not on. Secondly we noticed that the maid/cleaning person sometimes would turn it warmer or shut it off when they were in so make sure if you go back to the room during the day that you turn it back on. Thirdly we noticed a big difference if you left the ceiling fan on as it circulated the air very well. Room was cleaned very well every day, and the fridge stocked up. Yes the beds are harder then we like; we had a mattress pad on ours so that helped some for sure.
Pools
Have read and heard some folks complain about the pools and how people place towels on the chairs; I agree that this is inconvenient but I made sure I was up early every morning and never had a problem getting 3 chairs at the quiet pool ( if you leave your room after 7am you could have problems getting chairs); I too feel that some people abuse the chairs as sometimes I never seen anybody come for the chairs till late in the day but hey I'm on vacation and I am not about to let this behavior bother me. By the way talking to people on the bus and at the airport it appears that all resorts are doing this so if all are doing this why complain about it as it appears that this is the system in the Riviera. (have to adapt)

Trip to resort
This trip completely depends on how many other people on the bus are from other resorts; we were lucky on both ends of our trip this time as it took 1hr 10min each way as there were no other people on the bus to drop off or pick up. Not sure why people complain about the trip all the time; if you read the reviews and still book the trip to this resort you have to be prepared for 1h 10 min to 2 hrs; that's just the way it is.

Beach
lots of chairs; lots of wind at spring break and lots of rock; not the nicest beach you will find but it is the ocean and what's not to like; blue water, drinks close by and lots of sun and the sand is better then anything you will find in Alberta. Oh bye the way some people are topless on the beach.

meals
This is my pet peeve with folks; in fact I met one of these people at the resort complaining about not enough selection at buffets and food bland at Ala Carte's. Seriously !! not sure about most of you but the large buffet in the Coba must have a hundred things to pick from how can you not find something to eat; the smaller one has less options for supper but it's breakfast is great. One pointer for folks is to go as soon as the buffet opens if you wait till later then the food does get cold and or dry. Yes many things are fried but what do people expect when making a meal for 5000 people or more; there are many many choices. The AlaCartes were outstanding; the chicken and steak were all good and the seafood we had were good as well.

Staff
The staff were all very good and I even felt bad for them as some of them were sweating profusely; according to them it was very hot for them this early in the season. They are professional, courteous and if you engage them in conversation they seem to appreciate it. I tipped them all based on the service (at least a buck) and they even remember where we liked to sit for breakfast when we came in and that my wife liked a certain type of tea.
Drinks
Ok people may have a point here; I found the beer at the swim up bars not very good this time round but other drinks made up for it for sure; I do not like sweet drinks but tried some anyways since they are free.
Pros
Basically everything I have written above. is pro and I would gladly go back; for what it's worth I met 2 different couples who have stayed in the Riviera 8 times and this is their favourite resort; I also met a couple who did not stay this time as they wanted a new experience and they wished they had come back to the Coba. Not that their resort was bad but there were many little things.
Cons
I have stomach issues and one day did feel ill and had to stay near the washrooms while at the pool; not sure what happened as my son got ill that night and my wife 2 days later on the day we left; their issues were upset stomach only but it passed quickly. Might have been a bug from somebody else passed to us somehow but it did not wreck our vacation.

That's it; if you book it enjoy yourselves and I hope you will write a review as well.

Room Tip: get a mattress pad; turn ceiling fan on to assist air conditioner
8 Thank 1292riderfan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,575)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
halifax
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

A great resort if you like a big resort, 2700 rooms over 3 resorts at full capacity = over 5000 people give or take a few hundred. Great if you like the thrill of finding a pool side chair at 6:50am and/or a beach shaded chair at 7:00am. Great if you like taking golf cart rides to and from the beach. Great if you enjoy a nice 90 minute site seeing bus ride to and from the airport.
Great for $202/night double occupancy plus airfare. Food was average, very hard working staff, rooms clean and in good working condition for example- air conditioner, lights, toilets, etc.. No bugs.
Brazilian restaurant A-1, Le Gourmet A-1. Not all a la carte restaurants require long pants for men. Pools clean, sun's hot, drink's cold.

Room Tip: buildings 23-27 seem fine
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank blaise m
Airdrie
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

We stayed from March 24 until April 1 and loved it. The rooms are a great size and very clean. We came in a group of 7 people from our family, and they were able to put us all on the same floor. Room was cleaned daily and fridge stocked with excellent selection of drinks and snacks.
The staff at the hotel are incredibly helpful and so friendly. Our 3 year old had the time of his life. They went out of their way to make sure he was taken care of and having fun.
The pools are clean and we were able to find one that was quiet and met our needs. A high light was swimming in the dark (pool closes at 8pm but sun sets around 6:30). The beach is very close and very clean.
The food is quite good at all the buffets. The Brazilian and Japanese restaurants are AMAZING! Every part of the resort we visited was clean and people were helpful and friendly. I recommend this resort to anyone travelling to Mexico!

6 Thank Mandi_Airdrie
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

We stayed at the Coba the week of March 17-24. Great weather and clean, spacious room for 4. The food was good with lots of choices. The japanese was our favorite a la carte and we often used the Cozamel section for breakfast and in the evenings for a relaxing drink. The resort is very large so be prepared for some walking, even with the trolleys. Our room was in the Royal Golden section 28A. No problems with hard beds?? We travelled with our daughters 12&10 and we all enjoyed our trip. The Thursday night Mexican fiesta at the Hacienda was ok, the shows at the resort are just as good . We took a collectivo to Tulum Ruins and Paradise Beach, which was the highlight of our trip. The waves were awesome and the lunch we had at the Corona Cafe there was authentic Mexican food with 2 for 1 beer. Best quasadillas ever, for cheap!! No complaints with this resort, we will return someday.

2 Thank crazy_mama_4
Okotoks
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

My husband and I just returned from the GBP and really enjoyed our stay! It is a huge resort...the likes of which I've not seen before! We took many Tripadvisor.ca suggestions and booked with U.S.A. Transfers to avoid the 2+ hour bus ride from the airport - which worked out perfectly. Emailed Felix before we left...to ensure a top floor unit...with a matress pad...close to the "quiet pool." We were in building 23B...close to the trams, big buffet, quiet pool and a la carte restaurants! Service was excellent...people friendly...but a little bit busier than we expected! We've stayed at Grand Occidental Xcaret twice and Eberostar Lindo once...and they were great too...this resort's only downfall is it's size and distance from the airport.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank echase28
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

Travelled here with my family-7 of us in total, ranging in age from 15-56.
Travelled from March 19-26, and man was it a good week :)
This resort is big, and has a little something for every one.

We arrived tired from a long all nighter, on Monday. We got to the Cancun airport around 10, and then had to wait on the bus for people who never showed up, due to taking an alternative method of transportation. This was not due to the hotel, and gave an extra chance to take a nap before arriving at the hotel.

We got to the hotel around 12. As we were part of the Royal Golden section, we were told to wait, as a golf cart came and took us to the Royal Golden lounge to check in.
We were told to leave all our luggage and it would be brought to our room. Since check in wasnt until 3, we figured we should take out carry ons with us, and good thing too, because it wasnt until 3 that we wouldve had access to our bags.

We checked in, which was a breeze, had a delicious welcome drink, and then went and laid by the pool. There were no extra chairs, but there were some not in use. Staff told us just to take the towel off, and use it. Left us a little on edge, but would have gladly given the chairs back if any one had came to claim them.
Once 3:00 rolled around we went to get our rooms. We were put in villa 19. Right next to the activities pool. Was a good location.

There were nightly shows. We tried to go to most of them. However our first night, we were watching it and started to fall asleep, so had to leave early. This wasnt a reflection on the show, just a long first day.
The shows werent perfect, but they got the audience involved a few times, and were better than other hotels that I have stayed at.

The Thursday night mexican fiesta was an extra $15. was disappointing to have to pay extra at an all inclusive for entertainment, however they did try hard at this show. They try to sell it as a wild party with bull riding, and fireworks, and music.
There were 3 fireworks, and the show didnt last very long. Was it worth the $15... no, but youre on vacation, it is something different. Try not to think about the money, and then it was a fun time to be had.

We spent most of our days by the activities pool. The animation staff were excellent at providing activities and entertainment to the vacationers.
There were daily stretching classes, dance classes, bingo, bocce ball, and water games.
They gave prizes to winners of most competitions- which was always t-shirts, or tequila.
The most entertaining to watch were the beer drinking competitions. Only happened on 2 days we were there.

The food was good. Yes it tended to be the same food day after day, but there were so many options, that even if you tried someting new every meal there would be no reason to repeat. (only if you liked it) The soft serve ice cream was a neat idea. Loved being able to go grab a cone by the pool.

We went to 3 a la cartes.
The first was the Portofino-Italian at Coba. Was delicious. They didnt have any filet mignon, but offered rib eye instead. Had the lasagna as well, and was excellent.
Second was Mikado-the Japanese
Food was delicious. Was told not to get a show table, as it would be hot, and you would still have a view of it from all the tables-this was not true. Im sure it would be hot, but we werent able to see any of the show. Watch out for the red sauce on the plates. It is SPICY!!
Third was La Tortuga-Brazilian at Tulum. Was also good. There was the same spice on all of the meats- made alot of them taste the same. They seemed to save the better meats to the end-and as I'm not a huge meat eater, missed out on alot of the beef dishes.
We had reservations for another restaraunt, however we missed it by 30 mins, and they told us they didnt have the space. Our fault, so no complaints to be made
All of the restaurants had excellent service, and at none did we feel rushed or kept waiting.

Our only complaints were that the week went by too fast.
Cant wait to visit mexico again!

2 Thank mm883
Charlottetown, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

Most important - Wonderful, friendly dedicated staff enabled us to have an outstanding week of total relaxation, laughter, and good food and drink. Their hard work and patience with obnoxious guests impresses me immensely! While the facilities, location and food are large contributors, I have to say that the staff really makes the GPB stand out against other resorts.

Third all-inclusive sun vacation. Travelled with Transat Holidays, Royal Golden section, March 16-23, 2012. Return trip to the Coba for myself and my husband because we loved it so much when we were there in March of 2011. We had 3 others with us this year. To keep this somewhat brief, I echo the comments in the April 3 review ““Excellent trip to Coba” by Newbs29.

Check-in: Fine for the number of people arriving at once, served us a delicious cold beverage (or two :) while we were waiting, and had a friendly porter deliver our bags and clubs to the rooms. We arrived early and had about a 45 minute wait to get in to our rooms. No problem – we wandered the grounds and sampled some beverages.

Beach: beautiful, spotlessly clean, and long. You could find an area as lively or restful as you desired. There are at least three bars directly on the beach, and additional ones at the nearby pools. The water is shallow. Some areas are quite rocky and others not so much. Beautiful to relax in your lounger, perhaps not as great for active water fun.

Grounds: The grounds were vast and impeccably landscaped and maintained. Too many photo ops to count! Many trash and cigarette receptacles along the pathways and by loungers, workers constantly grooming and cleaning. Lush foliage, cool statuary and lots of wildlife too!

Pools: well maintained and clean and, again, as lively as you wanted at the fun pool or as restful as you wanted at the quiet pool. Swim up bar at both. Many jacuzzi pools with bars scattered about the resort.

Lounger Issue: More difficult to find a lounger at the pools, but usually could find a couple of hammocks. Never had a problem at the beach. The challenge to locate loungers around the pools was partly because we visited during peak season and largely because of the obnoxious behavior of other guests, which is difficult to change. I was appalled to hear one woman come into the breakfast buffet announcing to her group of four that she had chairs reserved at the pool and the beach, so they would have a place at whichever location they selected! On other occasions, I noted people with two sets of chairs at one pool – one set shaded and one in the sun. Really?! You can’t move your chair in and out of the sun?? Others reserve loungers and do not show up to use them until several hours later. While there appears to be lots of room to add loungers around the pools, the resort indicated this is a safety issue as in the event urgent medical assistance is needed, they do not want to make the access to the pool more difficult than it is. We were accused of stealing a couple of chairs and towels on one occasion. We had not, but I am guessing management may have been enforcing the no reservation rule before we arrived at the pool that morning.

The choice in restaurants - wow! There was one huge buffet at the Coba, but also a buffet at each of the Akumal and Tulum, and another in the small shopping area. Each resort has a snack bar that is 24/7. The made to order pizzas - yummy. I also loved the nachos with cheese sauce, guacomole and pico de gallo. The truth is, the selection was enormous and it was almost all delicious. There were some items, mainly the American/Canadian style standards, that appeared repeatedly, but there was always a different theme area that offered lots of new choices, not to mention the grill to order areas.

There are many a la cartes! We ate at the Mediterraneo (Coba), Portofino (Italian/Coba), La Gran Tortuga (Brazilian/Tulum) and Frutos Del Mar (Akumal/Seafood). Each of these had an appetizer buffet, which could have easily been a meal (esp. Portofino). We enjoyed them all, and I think every member of our group had a different one as their favorite. The service was the best at Portofino, where our waiter was not only fast and efficient, but also Mr. Personality :). I wish I could recall his name – perhaps Alberto? - lots of laughter that evening. The service at Frutos del Mar was slow but the food outstanding. I understood the speed, as it was sweltering that evening. It also appeared to be more of a kitchen than wait staff issue, as a lot of food was rolling out at once despite orders having been placed in a staggered manner. We were seated in a corner with a lovely breeze coming in the windows, until some miserable couple a few tables complained it was too breezy and made them close the window almost entirely. While slow, where did we have to rush to? Nowhere ;) so we enjoyed an extra drink.

Entertainment included evening shows and special shows/events each night. There is also live music in the bars most nights, a sports bar and a disco. There is a large shopping complex and local vendors at the Hacienda Dona, in addition to the lobby shops. The Spanish band that performs at the Hacienda from 11-12 each night is fantastic!
It is large but not overwhelmingly so - although it may seem to be until you have your bearings. There is a trolley system that came by about every ten minutes to take you to the beach, lobby, Hacienda Dona, etc. Camera opps changed each day - parrots, snakes, squirrel monkeys, etc. Tons of options for excursions. Went in to Playa del Carmen for an afternoon and won’t miss it on future trips.

All five of us were delighted with Coba and would return to it or one of its sister properties in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Depends on your preferences - all rooms are the same, so it's really a location and access issue...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank PEIsland_Gamz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
1.2 km away
13.9 km away
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
44.0 km away
Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destinatio...
#73 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,552 reviews

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Coba? Share your experiences!