“Fun Vacation!”

Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
bay city, mi
“Fun Vacation!”
Reviewed 11 April 2012

This was the second visit for my husband and I. We traveled with 5 other people and had a wonderful time. We booked the trip through Apple and would do it again in a heartbeat. There were some small extras that we received that were not there when we booked through expedia. Iain was our Apple Rep and was very helpful with our questions. We checked in at the Akumal Premier lobby and Felix greeted us right away. Both Felix and Iain both seemed to really care about the quality of our vacation. We asked for rooms close together and all but one were in the same villa and on the same floor. We were in Villa 23, close to the quiet pool and it was a great location. We had no issues with our room, air conditioning worked, toilet worked, fridge worked. The food was good, lots to choose from! We ate at the Japanese, Brazilian, and Italian restaurants and all were wonderful with good service. We also attended a gala dinner and the food and service there were WONDERFUL! Felix made sure we were well taken care of! The chairs are hard to come by on the beach and by the pools. You need to get up super early to reserve them or wait until about 3:30 and they seem to clear out. We did venture out to Playa Del Carmen and were very glad that we did. It was close enough that the taxi ride wasn't super long but it was also nice to get out of the resort and see some of Mexico. All in all it is a nice resort with tons to do, lots of food, and staff that really tries to please.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,663)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Martensville, Saskatchewan, Canada
Reviewed 10 April 2012

My girlfriend and spend a week at the Coba from April 1-8th and from the start it was a great time. Sergio checked us in and made sure we were comfortable with the resort and where things were. I found the resort a little large but that added to the selection. The pools were great HOWEVER, being out at 7am to try and find chairs in the shade was not my idea of fun. I wish that the resort had a firm enforced rule to alleviate this issue especially when you would have one person laying down towels over 5 or 6 chairs.

The food was fantastic. We ate most of our breakfasts at the Coba (Thank you Carlos for always being accommodating). I found that Tulum had the best lunch buffet (did not get to try their breakfast sadly) and Akumal had the best dinner buffet. The a la carte's were great but it somewhat confuses me that when going in for the reservation, they would state that they were at capacity but half the restaurant would be empty. We ate at three a la cartes: Italian and Mediterranean at Coba as well as Brazilian at Tulum.

Ocean and beach were best just outside of Akumal but again, must get there early to get chairs.

Rooms were clean and the showers were great ( jacuzzi tubs were stellar). The TV's weren't great but obviously you're not meant to be in your room watching TV but there were a couple games on that I had to watch.. Loved having a movie on for my afternoon siesta.

Overall, I WILL return to the GBP but will probably stay at Akumal or Tulum on the next go round.

Once again, thank you Sergio, Carlos, Mayday, Omar and the rest of the staff that made our first vacation together memorable.

Room Tip: I stayed in 1601 and enjoyed being on the first floor close to the pool. Didn't have much nose d...
1 Thank Jeremy K
rigaud
Reviewed 10 April 2012

my g/f and I stayed at the coba from april 2 to 9;the is a lot to be said about this hotel complex but lets make it short,if your are not totally satisfied after a week there,then you should stop travelling at all inclusives...the place is beautiful,the food is great,the people are fine...not much else to say,I have never gone back anywhere,but if there is place that I would go back,its there

2 Thank lildanny
New Brunswick
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We just arrived home from our first Mexican holiday and it was lovely! I am a repeat traveller of Cuba, so this year I decided to spread my sights to different destinations for a change of scenery, culture and experience. In February I travelled to Samana, Domican Republic and did the Air Canada Roulette, and spent a great week at the Gran Bahia Principe Cayacoa. The property in Samana was beautiful and because of this I booked with Gran Bahia in Mexico.

At the risk of being repetitive, yes this is a massive resort, with three individual sharing properties. With just shy of 3000 rooms combined, at capacity this complex is accommodating, transporting, catering,cleaning for and feeding over 6000 people during peak season. And we were at capacity last week. Mind boggling, however they do a remarkable job in my opinion.

There is so much to say about this holiday that I feel can be useful and hopefully unbiased in helping others choose the right destination based on your holiday preferences. I will start at the beginning.

We travelled with Air Canada again, and not for the love of their service, but simply because we have few choices when flying from NB. We travelled to Toronto on an uneventful early morning flight, good clean connections to Cancun. If you are a first timer to this airport as we were, beware it is hectic and chaotic. We made the the cardinal mistake of asking for directions as the next thing I knew my husband was being lured into the free Chitzen Itza time share shark tank. Thanks to previous reviewers I knew what was happening and insisted we keep moving to find our bus. With this the local insulted my husband by saying it was obvious who runs his life!! So please beware these promised free tours come with a price called time share information sessions.

We finally found our bus and boarded, within ten minutes we had to pull over as the cooling system broke and we had to transfer to a different van. This cost us apprx one hour. Once on the van the driver was pleasant and apologetic. The ride was one hour and twenty minutes, but with scenery, so not bad really. Check in was swift with stops first at Tulum, then the Akumal then the Coba.

Beautiful large lobby! Efficient and friendly check in and we were thrilled to have gotten the exact villa we pre-requested. I had taken advice from previous reviews and requested villa 23 which is situated directly next to the lobby, Kulkulkan buffet and just in front of the quiet pool. We were on the third floor with a lovely balcony view. The room was spacious and very clean with no moldy smells.

The grounds are lush, well gardened, mature and beautiful. You will see lots of large iguanas, they are harmless and fun to see. A porter escorted us by trolley to our room and carried our luggage up the three flights. If you have mobility issues I would suggest a ground or second floor room. Also, once in the room we found our fridge well stocked with coke products, snacks and even some chocolate which was nice. I had also requested additional pillows and a mattress pad which was also accommodated .

We are not pool people, however we did spend some time at the quiet pool our first afternoon once we settled, it was beautiful and clean. A nice addition were the hammocks by the pool. We walked to the activities pool but did not spend time there. It was lively and crowded, with music and a good array of family planned daily activities.

We had also pre booked our ala cartes, the Mikado Japanese show table, the Pescador seafood and the Medditeranean. We were entitled to four with our package but only opted for three. we were also expecting with the Air Canada package slippers and bathrobes, these never appeared even after speaking with the rep to request them. We gave up, didn't bother, because to us it was not a big deal.. To hot anyway for a robe. Our room was always cool during the day, but we realized that the air conditioning was controlled elsewhere and it shut off during the nights.

Definitely the food is an improvement over Cuba! The buffet was nice, food for us ok to very good at times. Never an issue getting a table. Service excellent and very friendly. We liked the ala cartes, but only ended up doing two.

Beach - the Coba beach from our villa was an eight minute walk. And yes you have to be there early. My husband enjoyed the walk each morning, he would go at 7am. I would join him later by trolley and we would either eat at the Akumal buffet or trolley back to Coba. By 8 the palapas and chairs were spoken for. The activities on the beach each morning were fun, with music and good participation. The Coba beach was better than we were anticipating, however it is a bit rocky in places, unlike other beaches I have visited in Cuba which are full sand. We had rough seas while there, and I personally love this! I am an avid swimmer and snorkler, so big waves are great, for others however this is an issue I know. They do have several wave breakers called Whales, and they do help cut the surf. Lots of fish to swim with, great for kids to see and enjoy.

I loved the Akumal beach! Gorgeous! However the swimming area for me was not good, it was small and very rocky. Akumal beach itself has a wonderful view of nature at its finest, coral reefs, large breaking waves to watch. It was more intimate and tropical. Whereas in my opinion Coba and Tulum beaches were the commercial sun seekers paradise. All in all Cuban beaches far surpass what Coba could offer for the true beach lover for me at least. And I am only one opinion.

We did two excursions. Buyer beware! Our first day includuded snorkeling to see sea turtles, seas were rough so we couldn't get to them, next was swimming in a ceynote, then to the remarkable cave swimming. This was great! The next day a two hour catamaran, seas were rough again and half the boat were violently sea sick and vomiting, then the boat anchored for an hour of snorkelling, I had brought my own gear, didn't see much unfortunately and it was a difficult heavy swim. All this time the poor motion sickness folks were sicker and sicker sitting on an anchored rocking boat in 38 degree sun. Then the sketchy and dangerous climb from the catamaran down onto a small skiff that takes you to the shore of Tulum beach. With the rough water climbing down from large to small boat was very difficult. This part we weren't told, and for many including myself was scary and difficult, as we had to balance one foot down onto the small ledge of the little boat while trying to manage the movement from the water. I can't believe that there was no ladder system, we found this ridiculous and so dangerous! Tulum beach is worth the trip, so beautiful! We spent an hour in the direct sun as there are no shades were we were, and by this point we were all exhausted and very hot, even in spite of the swimming. Then we were bused a short distance to the Tulum ruins with a guide, and at 3:00pm and by now extreme heat walked a guided tour for another two hours. By the time we got back to Coba we were both I'll, and in bed the next day with chills, and what I believe heat stroke. The ruins are lovely, but difficult to appreciate when you are miserable. I am not suggesting you don't do this excursion, I feel you should understand what it entails with honest detail.

The trolley system is very efficient at the resort and not once did we wait more than five minutes to go from beach to lobby! Also,we were invited to a manager reception, where we had the opportunity to meet the Coba management team. This was very nice. Also, twice we received calls from guest services to inquire on how we were enjoying our stay and if we needed anything. When you consider how many of these calls must be made it is very impressive and says much about their customer relation efforts.

The only major frustration at this resort was trying to track down our Air Canada rep. No need to say more on that! I would consider Akumal resort, it is older, however the close proximity to the beach is very nice, and would make evening walks on the beach more spontaneous. Other than seeing beach and lobby we did not visit Tulum side.

Shows, we didn't go to any.. We are boring I suppose and are early to rise, early to bed people.

Drinks, very good, and plentiful. We missed however the great coffee choices we get from Cuba, this is minor and should not reflect on all the great qualities the Coba holds.

Our trip home home was difficult and a long letter to Air Canada will be posted tomorrow! Change of bus en route, a rep that was a phantom at the resort, a delayed flight from Toronto to NB on the way home..to be assured that the electrical difficulties the plane was having were fixed and we were cleared to take off. Halfway through our late flight the pilot announced we were having an electrical failure and would have to return to TO. We were assured all was fine and we should not be alarmed....difficult at 25'000 ft! We were told we would be immediately boarding a plane that was waiting for us.... NOT! A disorganized arrival, a long wait, and then much later we finally boarded with a scowl as a welcome from frazzled and miserable flight attendants...not a word from the pilot to apologize...and many hours later we arrived home to a snow storm! Our trip home was a 22 hour ordeal.

To sum it up..we will return to Mexico and the Coba will see us revisit, there are a few on the wish list first though...the Mexican people were lovely and never did we feel unsafe or unwelcome. I would not hesitate to recommend this resort. I encourage you to research where you are going to make a good choice for you based on what makes a holiday special... Write ahead if you have questions or requests...Enjoy and happy travels!

PS tipping was voluntary, we don't hesitate to tip Canadian waiters, hairdressers, service industry personnel after paying for the actual service..and there is an expectation for the usual equivalent to the tax paid...but for some reason we seem to think that these underpaid resort workers who live on very little should not require a tip...makes no sense to me at all.. I tipped for good service just as I do at home. Tipping should never be required and the idea of the tip is to offer something in return for a friendly and great service...I don't know about other provinces but I do know that our service industries could learn a lot about customer relations from other countries that rely so heavily on tourism! Sorry for the ramble...just my own thoughts...

Room Tip: Villas 21'22'23'24. Check the resort map you can find one on google images.
7 Thank Go4itNewBrunswick
london
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Overall this is a clean and well manicured resort. It is HUGE and you must take a tram to the beach. The food was good especially the Japanese restaurant. Rooms are below standard--the beds are hard even with toppers and the pillows are poor quality. The air conditioning does not work well and we often went to bed with damp sheets and our clothes were always damp. We did not receive good maid service unless we left a $5 tip and the worst part of our vacation was the poor plumbing. Our toilet clogged everyday and we reported it everyday. They did take care of it but it was quite a nuisance.

This was my first visit to Mexico and found the people to be less freindly than other carribean countries I have visited. The vendors in Playa Del Camen were quite rude.

Room Tip: Rooms in building 25-26 are close to the restaurants, lobby, and pool, and tram route.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank jack f
Woodbridge, Ontario
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I'm going to try and keep this review short and to the point.

Overall, I would go back to this resort, but only if I got a really good deal. There were a lot of nice things about this resort, but I wouldn't rate it a 5* after returning from a true 5* at Secrets Maroma. It's kind of unfair to compare the two as they are completely different price ranges, but I can't help it after just visiting there in Sep. It would be hard for any resort to measure up to that place. If you can afford it, go there!! Now... back to Coba.

We stayed at Bahia Principe Coba from March 29 - April 5. I went with a friend for a relaxing girls trip, and it served the purpose very well!

The LIKES:

- NO bugs at all, I couldn't believe it. We didn't even see one mosquito the whole time. This resort does a very good job of keeping the bugs at a minimum, we never had one in our room either

- The beach is quite nice!!! The Tulum side is more rocky, but head to the Coba/Akumal side, and it was very nice. The area with the sand bags was pretty shallow and you could walk out far. You'd hit the occasional rock, but it wasn't bad. To the left of the sand bags was a very nice sandy area with deeper water.

- The animacion staff were awesome! Lots of fun and always something going on. They did yoga, zumba, water aerobics at the beach... and also similar activities at the pool.

- They have a loud party pool, and a quieter pool, both have swim up bars

- If you have children, this resort caters to them very well. In the buffet, they have a cute kiddy section with a lower/kid level buffet station with kid friendly foods like sliders, breaded chicken, hot dogs, fruit, etc. I was pretty impressed with how they catered to children. Even the pools, some were nice and shallow for them. They did karaoke some nights for the kids, it was cute to watch.

- The trollies were an excellent way to get around since this resort is quite large. They came very frequently and would stop wherever you wanted to pick you up, you could just flag one down.

The DISLIKES:

- Seriously, I thought people on here were exaggerating about the beach chairs, but sadly, it is true. One morning we got to the beach around 9am, and there were NO beach chairs available at all. We had to put our towels on the sand. And there was room on the beach for extra beach chairs so I don't understand why they don't just add some.

- Again, the pool, hard to find chairs. People wake up at 6 am, reserve them with their towels, and go back to bed. Sometimes it took quite a bit of walking around just to find two available pool chairs. If you're going with a group of 4 or more, wake up super early to reserve them!

- The resort really is quite large, and there are just FAR too many people here... lineups at the buffets, people everywhere, it was just too much.

- Overall, I felt that the food was just OK. I was expecting better food for Mayan Riviera, it was hit and miss. The buffet was very repetitive and I did get very sick there for 2 days, not sure what I ate. The a la cartes were great though!

Overall, for the price, I think this resort is a great value. If I were to go back though, I would probably spend a bit more, and stay on the Akumal or Tulum side to be closer to the beach, and I bet the restaurants and pools would also probably be less busy there too.

Go to Mexico, enjoy. We always felt safe and they treated us very well there.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank michh1985
Charlottetown, Canada
Reviewed 9 April 2012

After reading over 100 trip advisor reviews( before we made our choice and then still not sure) I decided to write our awesome experience! We had a fun and 2 Corona ride from the airport to the resort! Our guide gave detailed narrative with lots of funny comments and we haggled him to which he playfully retorted! Our check-in was amazingly easy! Fast, welcome drinks and a gentle breeze blowing through the reception area.... our room was not ready but we arrived at noon and had to wait until 3 pm to deposit our stuff... this was a little awkward as we had to drag around laptop and big purse! my note to self --buy Ipad! ditch big laptop! anyway finding a chair was easy and I napped for few hours...oh yes ate first .... the start of a love affair with the buffet table.... room was clean, clean, clean,,,, we had emailed Felix as others on trip advisor had recommended and he was more than helpful...we did not get our requested building but we did have a 3rd floor room which was great... neighbours were quiet, the temperature was perfect as we took the advice of others and closed the draps and opened the closet door to allow the air conditioner to work better! It was actually cool in our room! we were only in room to sleep, shower and drink wine--not very long! mornings I had on the balcony and listened to the birds and watched them zoom by us... breathtaking! the food was delicious, nutritious, fresh, varied, plenty ( we went at all different times), and the servers were to be commended.... I asked Edwardo where he learned his English and he said Texas for 5 months! They were polite, attentive and some ran for items for the customers,,,,yes they work very hard and serve hundreds of people--some cranky people and some really cranky people--sorry to say,, but they handled these folks well... We had 4 a la cartes due to our type of vacation deal but I must say I loved the buffets as much as these--mind you I am glad to have experienced them but if I go back I will not book any! the only thing nicer was that they waited on you! The buffets were remarkable! Thanks to Felix for our tickets to the MExican evening---he was so sorry we didn't get our requested building that he gave us 2 tickets to see the cultural event at the Hacendia! I loved it. fireworks, dancers, and great music! I am not a big shopper so can't comment on that part of the experience. BEACH! oh, what a beach,,,,beaches,,, we walked from our room to all of them--there are 3--yes walked as the golfcart-taxis just seemed too easy--wanted to burn some calories,,,not far at all,,, 10 minutes to 30 minutes--walking at a dragon's pace--stopping to greet all the wildlife and there are lots of iguanas, monkeys, racoon-like creatures, and jack-rabbit -like creatures,,, they never bother you ... well sleeping on beach under a hut from 10 to 5 is not a bad way to spend a vacation....had no trouble grabbing 2 chairs every day under a hut and we did not get there until 10 because we lingered so long at breakfast....glasses of champagne will do that to a person -especially a couple of them,,,,but hey this is a holiday... after dinner came the dancing out in the meeting area--I loved the families and the dancers intermingling...the children had a ball as well as all age groups---there were 2 weddings while we were there March 25 to April 1st 2012.... the children were well behaved and just happy little people---as for us we danced until our feet were sore and laughed until our bellies hurt! then in bed by 10....tried to stay up to see the shows but just couldn't.... combination,,sun, drink, dancing, laughing, meeting folks from all over the world! lots of folks said they were just ok--not great! Better finish this book! thank Coba staff, Felix your general manager, and the weather for making this a holiday to remember! I will return and bring my family as this was a get-a-way just for me! I definitely recommend the Coba ! (oh yes if you don't want to be bothered by time share people ==tell them your husband is home...they wouldn't even give us the time of day after that! ha,ha, now I know what works!) Enjoy this beautiful resort with great people!

Room Tip: 3 rd floors are cooler, quieter, but there is no elevator bed was perfect but I like a firm bed p...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
231.2 km away
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
231.2 km away
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
267.9 km away
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
249.6 km away
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
238.8 km away
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
240.2 km away
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Coba? Share your experiences!