“Great resort!”

Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed 6 May 2012

The Coba is a very well maintained hotel! We just got back yesterday (May 2012) and I have nothing but good to say from this place. Food was delicious (and so were drinks!), Rooms were clean, and there's enough pools and beach length to get lost!
The only thing (not against the hotel but against the location) is that it takes a while to get there from the Cancun Airport. Our bus took around 2 hours to get there, since quite a few stops had to be made at other resorts before ours (We booked with Sunwing).
I would absolutely return there without any hesitation!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Claudia3166
There are newer reviews for Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Reviewed 6 May 2012

My husband and I vacationed at the Coba from April 7 to 21. This was our fourth two week vacation at this hotel in 18 months and we are hoping to return again in October for another two weeks.

We would especially like to thank Felix Schlokat for once again arranging our preferred room reservations and taking the time to make us feel welcome, Felix Genesta, Ignacio, Abesaid, Ofelia, Andres and Omar for their continued friendship and the great service. Also, not forgetting the entertainment staff who work so hard to make sure everyone has a great vacation.

3  Thank John and Sheila C
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Overall. the resort its self was okay. I travelled with WestJet so I had my own private check in. At arrival I was told they could not honour my request to be next to my friends who traveled seperately through a different airline. After several minutes of voicing my concern, it was all sorted out and I was placed closer to my group. ROOMS-I stayed in villa 26A which is almost in the middle of the coba resort. behind me was the quiet pool and 24 hr snack bar and on the other side, was the activity pool. I was also about a 2 min walk from the lobby and buffet. I was placed on the ground floor. where you hear ALL NOISE including all the trollies going back and forth. Our AC did not work as well as our friends and we found tons of bugs in our room. So AVOID staying on the ground floor. We did have a problem with our toilet. It would overflow for no reason. Called the lobby 3 times, and it still wasn't fixed.By the 3rd call, the staff at lobby were very short with us and did not want to help us at all. Was not until we left a tip for the cleaning lady that it fixed. Room comes with a safe if you pay $5 bucks a day, which is reasonable. It was your clean standard room.
FOOD- the buffet was fantastic for breakfast, lunch and dinner. there was always a huge selection and no one ever had any problem finding something they liked. The snackbar was open 24 hrs and served nachos, pizza, fries, burgers, nuggets, ice cream etc. also .. if you have the chance book a reservation for the Japanese restaurant for the show. it was terrific and the food was fantastic!!
POOLS- Coba has 2 pools and one is a quiet pool and one is a activity/party pool. Both have swim up bars. At the activity pool it is extremely hard to get a drink. The bartenders ignore you and are for the most part rude. Service was a huge issue for all the members in our group. Nobody would even look at you unless you had a tip in your hand. I have no issue tipping for good service, but the servers expected tips for doing nothing. And about how this is Mexico .. and how $1-2 dollars is not a good tip and if thats what you are going to tip.. then tip nothing. We heard this everywhere we went and it was frustrating.
EXCURSIONS- we booked 2 from the resort. 1)COCO BONGO reps are by the activity pool and they were pleasant to deal with. everything went according to plan. a GREAT time.. they bring you by bus to a club in playa del carmen and pick you back up at 330am. This club is huge! full of entertainment, free drinks and tons of security!
2) We booked an all day catamaran for 35 people from a company(Easy Tours) on the resort. the boat's name is Lupida. NEVER BOOK with this group. They lied to us from the very beginning. They said it was a huge party boat with nets for sun tanning, all day alochol including corona as well as snorkeling and parasailing. WELL. the boat was the tiniest. with 35 people we were lined back to back and not allowed to move for the most part. There was no corona, and para sailing was siting on a rope and hoping the wind lifted you. keep in mind if you weigh more then 90 lbs you didn't stand a chance. The snorkeling was as promised. The hugest let down of this excursion was the staff. They were terrible. Yelling at our group members and being very rude all day. But At the end of the day when it came time to tips, they expressed how we were suppose to leave a good tip and 2 dollars wasn't nearly enough. and then watched us all as we put tips in a clear bottle. One guy called out one of our friends for leaving a 5 dollar tip. which i think was pretty generous considering how bad the service was all day. Needless to say we were disappointed with the entire day.
BEACH- overall nice! The Coba is not right on the beach, but there is trollies that come every 5 mins or so. Beware of the staff on the beach selling wave runners, etc. They will tell you one price and then when you come back 5 minutes later it will be a higher price. A huge problem we found with this resort was that we were continuously lied to about prices. But when you do actually settle on a price the waver runners were so much fun. you get to go far out for about 35 mins, and there is a staff member floating near by incase of tipping over or other problems.
DRINKS- delicious! I didn't find them watered down at all. again, a way to get them faster, is too tip.
Overall I would rate this trip as okay. It served the purpose but could of been alot better had the staff been more pleasant. Luckily our group of friends made the best of it and still had a great time. For a first time trip to Mexico, I loved it but I would not stay at this resort again!

2  Thank a44arh
SubDirectorGBPC, Sub Director at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

Dear Sir, Madame

First of all thank you for your comments about your stay in our Hotel. The comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are very important to maintain the quality and service in the Gran Bahia Principe Coba, Riviera Maya Resort Mexico.
In order to make the appropriate research about each situation that you had experienced, please send us an email with all the details (as well as date of check in check out and room number)

Please keep the same subject we used in order to identify you straight away.

Sending you my kindest regards

Melitza Freites de Blanco
Sub Director Gran Bahía Príncipe Coba

Reviewed 6 May 2012

Had an absolutely fantastic 6 days and 5 nights at this 3-hotel resort. Whether you stay at Coba, Akumal or Tulum, you can use any part/activity of the three hotels. We stayed at Coba as it is the cheapest. If you want to stay on or near the beach try Akumal or Tulum, but you're going to pay more.

Transportation:
The trolleys can get you anywhere you want within 5-15 minutes; and the "party tram" gets you from Akumal and Coba to Tulum. You can have a trolley take you to different locales- but tip the driver when you are away from the lobby- its a special favor if they take you.

Beaches:
The Coba beach is the best, nestled between two boardwalks and lots of fish, All three have giant wave blockers which helps you enjoy the water without getting knocked over, and there is a slight amount of waves that get through. You can also play on the giant blockers but they are slippery. Akumals beach is good also, lots of fish and hardly any rocks in the water. Its also located near the surf shop so you can schedule water activities. Tulum's beach had a lot of rocks and boulders in the water, but they have the best pool to play in- along with a great swim up bar.

Entertainment:
We caught the shows at Tulums auditorium on the nights we were there. the show one night at Tulum was playing the next night at Coba...so we assume they just rotate them.

Food:
Tulum had the best buffet we found. We ate most breakfast at Coba, lunch at Tulum or the snack bar at Tulum. Tulum by far was better.

We ate at three restaurants: Le Gourmet; in Coba; Don Pablo's in Tulum; and Portofino in Coba. Don Pablo's had the best food and decor. All were good and upscale type restaurants.

Activities:
On sight- we did para-sailing over the ocean, and a segway tour of the property and across the highway to the golf course. Most of the time was on the beach or pool.

You dont have to use the resort to arrange off-site tours. You can get a taxi or the collectiva to go anywhere you want- Tulum or up to Cancun. The taxi's can be arranged at the front, the collectiva's you need to catch the tramand go to the entrance of the property. We went to the tulum ruins for $23 for four in a taxi, and the collective back for $16. We took the collectiva to Tulum city for $16, and we got a deal on a ride back to the hotel for $16. (The driver had his family in his cab- fun times.) The collective costs $3-4 each

Pools:
Fantastic. Most- if not all- have a bar, and the big ones have 24 hour snack bars. Get there early to lay out your towel to save your chair....

Only a few small negatives...
Check in is at 3pm, we arrived at noon. We did enjoy the lunch buffet and hang out in the lobby bar until our room was ready.

Air conditioning sucks. The vents "accidentally" fell down in our rooms and the rooms got MUCH cooler. Also, if you have any door open the air doesn't work.

Staff:
Very friendly and most speak broken english. We did pick up some of the lingo, and luckily one of our party members spoke some spanish,

Room Tip: get one that does not face west in the afternoon sun.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ChuckLPlano
Reviewed 6 May 2012

i travelled here with 3 girls - where do i start , what a amazing place , the people are so friendly, food amazing , pools and pool bar( that was a bonus) , everything just a few feet away , got to mention raphel at the pool he kept everybody amused,the beach was amazing at coba ,the tullum part is very rocky , two of the girls swam with dolphins ,and had full body massages apart from that all we done was relax , the weather was amazing all week , the flight was long but worth it the place is truely amazing
the only down side thomas cook told us to take pesos but everything is priced in dollars so i would take them next time , i only needed £45 in pesos to pay to come home.
To anybody whos going have a amazing time the place is beautiful

1  Thank MILTFSUFFOLK

Travel Date; April 13-23rd
Kids were 4 and 6 at the time of travel.
Stayed at the Coba – villa 22

We loved this resort and would definitely return. It's our forth stay in Mexico and this is the first time that we said we would go back to the same resort. The staff (absolutely everyone we can in contact with) was incredibly friendly and helpful.

Below are a couple of recommendations that we would suggest if traveling with young kids.

• Call/ email ahead of departure and request earlier dinner reservations (earliest sitting was 6pm).
• Request a villa away from the 24 hour snack bars; it is very loud at 2-3am when the disco is finished.
• The resort is huge. We love these sorts of resorts, but families with strollers or wheel chairs might find it hard (when raining) to get on and off the trolleys.
• Bring lots of sunscreen, if you run out it will cost you about $25-30 in the gift shops.
• The pools have gradual entry but the bottom of the pool in most areas is about 3-4ft. If you don't have a strong swimmer you will want water wings.
• Don’t need water shoes for the ocean. There is a huge sandy calm area for the kids.
• Off shore snorkeling near the docks, it very calm and shallow so it is a great place to introduce kids to snorkeling.
• Food was great and the kids always found something to eat.
• Dolphin adventure is approx $100/pp. The resort will provide a free pass if you watch their vacation presentation (we didn’t do this).
• Bring bug repellant/ after bite – 2 -3 days after the rain the bugs are bad at night.
• We requested mattress toppers prior to departure.
• Safe is approx $15/ day
• Bring Bounce sheets to help disguise the musty smell (it’s just the humidity in your clothes; it’s not that the rooms are dirty).

Divers:
My husband is a diver. He commented that the dive shop is top notch! The dive shop has personal lockers for travelers bringing their own gear that you can store to avoid dragging your equipment back and forth. They will help with the drying and storing for their customers.

Again, we loved the resort and I really can’t see why anyone would give this resort anything other than top marks.

Room Tip: Stay away from the 24 hour snack bars, as it can be loud at night.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank SarahTedd
Reviewed 6 May 2012

My husband and two children, then aged 8 and 5 went to the Coba in March 2011. We hadn't been to Mexico before although we do tend to go long haul. The flight and private transfer were fine. We had booked through a web company called mexicocollection, which was great value.

The Coba is a very good but not perfect hotel and the Gran Bahia Principe chain is excellent. We have been away with that chain again since to the Dominican Republic. The Coba is one of three hotels on a very large part jungle, part landscaped complex. It doesn't have direct access to the sea but there are frequent shuttle cars that ferry you wherever you need to go. The Coba's lobby is large and lovely - the communal areas of the hotel are clean, the gardens immaculate and the poolsides are great.

Food wise, the main dining room was the best for us. The hotel offers you a baffling choice of a la carte dining at different restaurants but we found the food in those restaurants bland and unappetising. The service, however was very good. I actually got diarrhoea after a trip to the Japanese restaurant. But no problems with the main buffet, which served an incredible large selection of food from around the world, veggies, fruit, puddings etc. The Mexican corner was to die for and is all prepared in front of you. Many of the guests were Mexican, so I'm guessing the Mexican food was pretty authentic. We certainly adored it and no stomach problems once we'd stopped trying the a la carte places.

Our room was okay. The family rooms are a decent size but a little dark and to be honest, the room smelled of mildew. Inside, the room was kept nice and clean. Outside, there was a cockroach by our door for over a week and the cleaner didn't remove it. In the end, the ants took it away but in such a jungly place, it's no surprise to get a few creepy crawlies. Still, a little initiative from the cleaner would have been nice.

Every night there was a mariachi band that came round to entertain you at dinner. With liverful of booze and a gut full of food, even with small kids we had a great time. There was karaoke, which we love and all sorts of entertaining audience participation games, which were a wheeze. All the entertainment happened outside in a lovely landscaped area near the main dining room. The atmosphere was great as most of the hotel's occupants (mainly Canadian) were sitting outside and watching. There seemed to be a disco every night after 10pm, when we left, but as this was away from the rooms, there was no noise pollution in our experience. Inside, there was a lounge where a two piece played and of course, they had a great mini disco for the kids every night in the main theatre at 8pm, which our children adored.

We took the hotel's organised trip to Chichen Itza, which was out of this world. The lobby organised our taxi to Tulum. I'm really glad we did the archaeological stuff, as this made the holiday something special.

My husband did 10 dives with the Scuba centre and was highly satisfied, although everything was run on Mexican time. I paid for a day's trip to Cozumel to snorkel. This was a pile of crap and not worth the money. I've snorkeled in the Maldives before. This time, there were hardly any fish to see, no coral, terrible diesely boat. I felt shockingly sea sick. Then there was a painful two hours in Cozumel centre in which we could shop, but since I'd been told the trip was all inclusive, no money needed and we were snorkeling, I had brought no money or anything that could be stolen. Consequently, I sat on my own for the entire time in the central square without a drink (drinks were supposed to be provided on an unlimited basis), trying to find shade from the blazing afternoon sun under a tree. NOT all inclusive and just bloody terrible. I complained and as recompense, they gave my husband a free dive.

The beach is overcrowded and the snorkeling from the beach is not good but if you've not been anywhere exotic before, you might be impressed.

Akumal as a destination is superb if you don't want to be in the midst of all the tacky overdeveloped hubbub. We were only a short taxi ride from the Tulum ruins, which we visited in an afternoon and which were great.

It sounds like we had a rubbish holiday but actually, we really enjoyed ourselves. Just thought I'd point out the negatives, so you know what you're getting. We liked it enough to go to the Gran Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado in the Dominican the other month but that's in a different league and is much closer in quality to the 5 stars they have given it.

If you want fun on a budget and great Mexican food, this is a good choice.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family