“A great and beautiful resort lacking in consistency and cohesiveness between the four areas of the whole resort.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Cranbrook, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

Before starting my review I should mention that my wife and I are members of the priviledge club which is bahia principe's upgraded members program. This was our first time coming to the resort as priviledge club members. We stayed in the beautiful zian khan area of the resort which we loved. As club members we were given a nice bracelet as opposed to the colored plastic bands which we loved but it did create some issues as not all staff were familiar with the priviledge club bracelets and my wife and i were stopped by a security guard who would not let us get to our resort area thank goodness after tearing apart my wifes purse and the 2 knapsacks we had with us i was able to produce a plastic resort band which had also been given to me when we checked in. However it was embarrasing and as we had to empty the contents of all our packs and plead our case while a tram full of guests came by and had to slow down to get around the cab we had taken. Near the end of our trip my wife and i went to the coba buffet i finished my meal and told my wife that i would go to the bell boy and order us a club cart to take us back to our room. When my wife went to leave the buffet a few minutes later a staff member grabbed her by the arm to prevent her from leaving the buffet at which point they had told her that the man you were eating with had just stolen someone's bag and she would not be allowed to leave until I returned the bag i had taken.My wife yanked her arm away and told the staff that my husband had taken our bag containing our sunscreen, towels and water bottles and pushed her way past the staff. Needless to say we were both quite upset especially my wife. We found that the priviledge club staff treated us wonderfully but with some of the regular staff we just felt not very valued and as we spent alot of money for the priviledge club and hoped we would be treated great everywhere and with all staff. I would also like to mention that we had more wonderful experiences here than we did negative and with a bit of training these issues can be remedied so i would like to mention the wonderful things about this beautiful resort and why we will be back. Oscar who works at the bar during the day at zian khan was amazing he took the time to get to know us and i looked forward to having coffee at his bar every morning. Faustino who is one of the servers at the zian khan buffet was great and very helpful whenever we asked for something that wasn't out on the serving tables. Ernesto, Javier and Gabriel were wonderful and alot of fun down at priviledge club beach bar.Erica,Lydia and especially Ula, Neileen,Casper and Rebecca were fantastic, they were priviledge club staff and really tried to fix any of the inconsistancies that were told to us by the salesman who we purchased our priviledge club package from.Anyway these weren't the only great staff but we feel they went above and beyond their job and treated us with kindness. We will definately be back and these excellent staff members make us feel like its our 2nd home.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Luke M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,540)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Georgetown, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

We just returned from our 6th trip to the Bahia Principe Coba. And we will be returning for a 7th visit as soon as we can. We were able to e-mail Felix before we left for the resort and as usual Felix came through with all our requests, could not have asked for any better service. The resort is enormous including three sections to choose from Akumal, Tulum and Coba. The food was excellent. There was so much selection it was sometimes difficult to make a decision. The a la carte restaurants were very good our favorites were Arlequin, Mikkado and Don Pablo. We especially enjoyed the activities pool at Coba. We enjoyed all the staff there. It was very entertaining I would like to personally thank Gabriel, Luigi, Ricky Ricardo, Luis, and Malambo (I think this is how it is spelled) and Sofia and especially "Sergio" who treated us like family. They are all fantastic dancers and entertainers. It would not be the same without them. If you visit this resort you would not be disappointed. Lots of fun.

2 Thank Josie B
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the GBPC last November 2011 and we are now coming back staring our trip May 13th 2012. We come down at least twice a year for the past 4 years and we have fallen in love with GBPC. This resort has amazing service, the staff is wonderful and go out of their ways to assist you. My family members referred us to this resort whom come down at least once a year and they were right this resort has everything for everyone. The food and restaurants are very good, the pools and the beaches are spectacular, and we loved to hang out with Edgar at the pool bar the Iguana! Very nice man and hospitable. And don't worry its a big resort, but there is so much space and different areas that you don't feel like any area is over crowded..except for the Coba beach,,,but if you continue walking you can find other areas on the beach that are less crowed to relax. The room are very clean, quiet, we like to stay in building 14 or 15 main floor, its not to far of a walk to the main buffet and there is lots of path way for joggers and bicyclist too! The resort is not too far to Tulum maybe a 15min drive and to Playa about 40 min.
I could go on and on...I am so excited will be there in a day from now, and my apologies for not writing this review earlier, I will give you guys on update when we get back for sure.

Emilie/Calvin

Room Tip: We like the main floor rooms building 14 and 15 are just right and near the buffet for breakfast.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

We played roulette with Sun Quest and ended up at the Gran Bahia Principe Coba. Before our arrival, we emailed Felix to arrange for rooms close to the buffets and lobby as my husband has a medical condition. We ended up in the perfect location and Felix had some how managed to reserve rooms for all three couples in the same villa. Thank you Felix. The rooms were spacious and very clean. This is a really big resort but the trolleys made it easy to get around. We never waited more then 5 minutes for a trolley to come by. Coba beach was big, with plenty of chairs and a great bar overlooking the ocean. The food was great. The only criticism we had was that the food trays were not replenished in a timely manner. Nidia greeted us every morning, her friendly disposition made us feel safe and welcome. The entertainment team keep us going all day. We enjoyed the 7 pm to 11pm outdoor entertainment, then it was off to the Hacienda to enjoy a live band from 11 pm to midnight. The disco opened at midnight. There is a little something for all ages at this resort. Well done staff of Gran Bahia Principe Coba. We will be back.

Room Tip: Villas 21 - 24 are located close to the lobby, pool and buffet.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank Moni50_12
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

My husband and I stayed at Coba for 1 week with the Royal Golden upgrade (mid april 2012). We had very pleasant time. It was our second time at Coba. We did not have any problem to get around between the other beaches and resort (Tulum, Akumal and Coba) at all.
The rooms were very clean, the choices for the meals are so large and delicious that makes your trip wonderful.
All the evenings were fun, I you wanted to participate (dancing lesson, karaoke) you felt free to do so. The service at the bar, restaurant and the main place for breakfast were always done with a big smile, nice welcome, and very polite. You come back at home with good souvenir of Cancun Akumal due to Gran Bahia Principe Coba recipe !

Room Tip: We were on the third floor far from the main large pool. We did not hear too much loud music whic...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank marian1960
Garland, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

We just returned from our 3rd visit to this resort - We absolutely love it! If you don't have a private shuttle from the airport you get to see some of the other resorts and by far this is the most beautiful. The staff is very accomodating the service is great. Minor "issue" the first night with the a/c but it was resolved quickly. If you're not a buffet person make restaurant reservations quickly. However, the buffet is good, big selection and casual dress. I can't wait to go back again and again!

Room Tip: Club Golden (Akumal) is well worth the extra money - the villa's are the closest to the beach an...
3 Thank seel95
cornwall
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

Firstly please may I ask all readers to spare a thought for people in countries who do not enjoy the lifestyle standards we are very fortunate to enjoy in Europe, USA and Canada,
Please may I say that the recent negative review about this resort is pure exageration and sounds to me like "had my holiday lets find out what was wrong".

The mexican workers are very very polite and hard working. They are very busy trying to meet the needs of everyone and they do NOT wait or only work for tips, We tip if we think someone has gone out of there usual work expectations, this does not affect the service we have always had here, however everytime we have given a tip they have been very grateful and humbled that we have acknowledged there work. We do not tip the maids until the end of our holiday and have had excellent room service everytime we have been here (6 times in all as we like it so much). Please do not be put of by peoples unfair review. I think people should think themselves very fortunate that they can have such luxury in their lives and they are not a poor mexican workings is nads off in 35 degree heat trying to make sure the unfortuante rich people get a drink when they shout JUMP.
People have problems on holidays but I believe that going to people with the right respect will far outway the demanding or aggressive approach. We have had many problems abroad in our time and always found this to be the key.
I sympathise with anyone who has genuinely had a bad time. However it might be worth forgetting the me me me and consider there may be influences beyod their contol.

Room Tip: Anywhre on this beautful resort would be good for me, hope it is for other travellers.
5 Thank curlilox
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
0.6 km away
8.6 km away
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
33.9 km away
Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destinatio...
#67 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,396 reviews
9.9 km away
Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Coba? Share your experiences!