We had a great time but there were a couple of bumps in the road...
We arrived to the resort and we were lucky enough to beat the line up at the Royal Golden section. They gave us a welcome drink and TWO bottles of tequila. We had requested earlier on to have our friends close by , which they were except for one. They couldn't accommodate and our friends ended up being on the other end of the resort which is pretty inconvenient.
We settled into our room, which had air condition , and were kept very clean. Our maid , deysy did a fantastic job. The mini bar was a joke....a bag of chips and a mini chocolate bar with two beers and they wouldn't stock up daily unless called in. We had a slight issue with the balcony, the top railing wasn't installed properly and actually fell off as we were leaning into it The view was quite nice!). Pretty dangerous considering we were on the top floor . We called to get it repaired and it took two days for someone to come in and install it back to its wobbly self.
The beds are REALLY REALLY hard, we knew ahead of time from fellow travelers that this was going to be the case. We called to get a mattress topper which we got the same night.
The food was ok, some stuff was stale/cold but the breakfast was by far the best meal at the buffet. The mexican section was my favorite, there was definitely a TON of selection and I don't think you could ever get bored with the food (unless of course youre a picky eater)
We went to three a-la cartes during our stay (Gourmet, Japanese and Mediterranean). The Japanese a la cartes was VERY good as well with the gourmet . But the Mediterranean restaurant was so disgusting. The fish was super dry and they took the salad and desert bar from the buffet and put it there. I would have rather just ate at the buffet if I knew that was going to be the case....
We did have an issue with the supposedly "24 hour" snack bar.We had ordered room service, which apparently comes from the snack bar, and it took an 1.5 HOURS to get food delivered to our room. Seriously?! Does it really take that long to make nachos?!
We also had another incident later that night when We came back to the resort after a night out at the Coco Bongo ( WHICH EVERYONE SHOULD EXPERIENCE, SO MUCH FUN!!!) and we were STARVING. So we just wanted to grab a quick bite to eat before we went to bed but come to find out our 24 hour snack bar was closed...had absolutely NOTHING to serve us. NOT IMPRESSED.
The service itself was a hit or miss. Most servers and bartenders were fantastic! ( My favorite bartender had to be at the bar iguana, Manual!) All of them were super friendly. The bar at the main lobby for some odd reason wasn't very good at making drinks but every other bar that we went to was fantastic!!
We did, however, had an issue with one of the pools ( poop in the pool, disgusting!) So obviously , we went to the lobby to let the staff know and they had thanked us for letting them know and told us we would receive a bottle of champagne has a thank you gift. We never received anything so we went back after two days and asked the manager what was going on. So after a long conversation with the manager ( language barrier beware!) we got a discount off our coco bongo tickets which was excellent!
I know a lot of people complained about the carts and how huge the resort was but it really wasn't that bad, we never waited more than 5 minutes to get a trolly and really, youre on vacation,! Whats the rush?? But yes, the resort is HUGE and there is a lot to see and do but have fun with it, go explore. The resort is beautifully kept and manicured and clean! The beach is AMAZING!! Kept very clean, not rocky at all , lots of fish and even a pelican who was very social , one girl was petting him, so cute .
If I had to go back to the same resort, I wouldn't be opposed to staying there again but there's lots of place to see and lots of things to do so I will definitely be keeping my eye out for some place else. Better luck next time ,maybe...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 2 lake-style pools 3 Jacuzzis Large sun terrace and gardens with sun umbrellas and loungers Pool and beach towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 5 tennis courts, basketball court, bicycles Motorised sports (additional charge) Water activity centre Entertainment amphitheatre WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) Buffet restaurant 4 a la carte restaurants 7 Bars 2 Snack bar Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest. Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco Rooms 1080 rooms including 4 types: Superior Junior Suite, Club Golden Junior Suite, Family Junior Suite and Master Family Suite. Room facilities: Two full size beds or a king size bed Sitting area with sofa Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, shower, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer Bathroom amenities Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Radio alarm clock Flat screen satellite TV Mini-bar Coffee-making facilities Safe (additional charge) Ironing set Terrace Wifi Family Junior Suites and Master Family Suites the perfect choice for families, including: All the facilities and services of a Junior Suite Bathrobes and slippers for all the family for use during your stay Children's bath kit Welcome basket with sweets Mini-bar with juices, shakes, milk and soft drinks for children Two fully independent connecting rooms (Master Family Suites) Club Golden Junior Suites Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy a range of specially-tailored facilities: Children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Bahia Scouts Water Park Teen's Club (11 - 16 years) Baby Station Other services On-site miniature railway providing access to all facilities Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Personalised diet option for celiacs and diabetics Cash point Specialised service for organising weddings, events and anniversaries Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Evoline ltd so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Coba reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Coba Akumal
- Hotel Gran Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Coba Mexico
- Gran Bahia Coba
- Gran Bahia Principe Resort Coba
- Gran Bahia Principe Coba Hotel
- Gran Principe
- Gran Bahia Principe Mexico
- Bahia Coba
- Grand Bahia Principe Coba Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico