“Had a good time but won't be going back!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Nova Scotia
“Had a good time but won't be going back!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

We had a great time but there were a couple of bumps in the road...

We arrived to the resort and we were lucky enough to beat the line up at the Royal Golden section. They gave us a welcome drink and TWO bottles of tequila. We had requested earlier on to have our friends close by , which they were except for one. They couldn't accommodate and our friends ended up being on the other end of the resort which is pretty inconvenient.

We settled into our room, which had air condition , and were kept very clean. Our maid , deysy did a fantastic job. The mini bar was a joke....a bag of chips and a mini chocolate bar with two beers and they wouldn't stock up daily unless called in. We had a slight issue with the balcony, the top railing wasn't installed properly and actually fell off as we were leaning into it The view was quite nice!). Pretty dangerous considering we were on the top floor . We called to get it repaired and it took two days for someone to come in and install it back to its wobbly self.
The beds are REALLY REALLY hard, we knew ahead of time from fellow travelers that this was going to be the case. We called to get a mattress topper which we got the same night.

The food was ok, some stuff was stale/cold but the breakfast was by far the best meal at the buffet. The mexican section was my favorite, there was definitely a TON of selection and I don't think you could ever get bored with the food (unless of course youre a picky eater)
We went to three a-la cartes during our stay (Gourmet, Japanese and Mediterranean). The Japanese a la cartes was VERY good as well with the gourmet . But the Mediterranean restaurant was so disgusting. The fish was super dry and they took the salad and desert bar from the buffet and put it there. I would have rather just ate at the buffet if I knew that was going to be the case....

We did have an issue with the supposedly "24 hour" snack bar.We had ordered room service, which apparently comes from the snack bar, and it took an 1.5 HOURS to get food delivered to our room. Seriously?! Does it really take that long to make nachos?!
We also had another incident later that night when We came back to the resort after a night out at the Coco Bongo ( WHICH EVERYONE SHOULD EXPERIENCE, SO MUCH FUN!!!) and we were STARVING. So we just wanted to grab a quick bite to eat before we went to bed but come to find out our 24 hour snack bar was closed...had absolutely NOTHING to serve us. NOT IMPRESSED.

The service itself was a hit or miss. Most servers and bartenders were fantastic! ( My favorite bartender had to be at the bar iguana, Manual!) All of them were super friendly. The bar at the main lobby for some odd reason wasn't very good at making drinks but every other bar that we went to was fantastic!!

We did, however, had an issue with one of the pools ( poop in the pool, disgusting!) So obviously , we went to the lobby to let the staff know and they had thanked us for letting them know and told us we would receive a bottle of champagne has a thank you gift. We never received anything so we went back after two days and asked the manager what was going on. So after a long conversation with the manager ( language barrier beware!) we got a discount off our coco bongo tickets which was excellent!

I know a lot of people complained about the carts and how huge the resort was but it really wasn't that bad, we never waited more than 5 minutes to get a trolly and really, youre on vacation,! Whats the rush?? But yes, the resort is HUGE and there is a lot to see and do but have fun with it, go explore. The resort is beautifully kept and manicured and clean! The beach is AMAZING!! Kept very clean, not rocky at all , lots of fish and even a pelican who was very social , one girl was petting him, so cute .

If I had to go back to the same resort, I wouldn't be opposed to staying there again but there's lots of place to see and lots of things to do so I will definitely be keeping my eye out for some place else. Better luck next time ,maybe...

Room Tip: Rooms at the royal golden are very quiet.. request ahead of time if you're going with a group to...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alethias_Soul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,507)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

We just returned from our 14 day (Apr 28 - May 12) stay at GBP Coba. This was our first (but not last) trip to Riviera Maya and we are very impressed with the Gran Bahia Principe Resort property. The purpose of our travel was for our wedding, which took place May 3 on Akumal Beach. Everything from the check-in process to the check-out process was smooth. The staff at these resorts are phenomenal!! Shout out to Luis Eduardo Perez, a Guest Service Manager, at the Coba resort. He was our saviour...long story short a few of my guests got really drunk off tequila (& hot sun) and Luis assisted them in getting better. He also helped me as I was worried/stressed about my sick friends + upcoming wedding that I fainted outside the lobby and Luis was there to help. Thank you Luis and the rest of the staff at GBP Coba!!!
Our room was clean and didn't smell too musty - this is hard to avoid since it is so humid. We were in villa 26a room 32617. We liked our room because it was very close to the quiet pool, away from the activity pool but we found it a bit far from the main lobby. However it's fairly close to the Premier Lobby (Akumal) and the little shops near there. We found the food at the main buffet excellent!!! We tried all the main buffets (Tulul, & Akumal) and we liked Coba the most. We tried 6 of the 11 à la carte restaurants and we found them all mediocre...but if I had to choose I would say Mikado was the best. The decor in that restaurant is different from the others. The Coba Beach is beautiful, but go early if you want chairs under the huts. It gets hot so shade is definitely needed. During our 2 week stay we went to Playa del Carmen for shopping on 5th Avenue and to Xel-Ha. We wanted to do more but it was just so hard to get out of the relaxation mode. Xel-Ha was a lot of fun. We snorkelled a lot and saw many types of fishes as well as floating down a river on tubes, ziplining into the water and rope walk.

We enjoyed our vacation/wedding so much!!! We're looking forward to visiting again, maybe next year, for our anniversary.

4 Thank yeemein
Charlottetown, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

my wife and I just got back from 2 glorious weeks at the bahia principe coba. The weather was perfect but a bit too hot for me but my wife loved it. The resort was great,it met all our expectations as it did when we first visited 2 years ago.the rooms are fine, the food is great and the staff are excellent. Everyone couldn't do enough for you.However our favourite staff member by far was our beachbartender, Jose "I'm sexy and I know it"! He was always smiling, always had a great joke and always knew what we wanted to drink! He never lost his cool with anyone and was always a delight! He is one of the main reasons we will go back!!

Room Tip: go for the second floor and be ask to away from the main coba lobby unless you don't mind a bit...
7 Thank TERRY D
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

We just returned from a week stay at Coba. First stay at a Bahia property, but 8th trip to the area, my review is mixed. There are 4 resorts, 3 of which are connected, all have their own personality. Coba is the largest and off the beach (we really missed the beach being right there). Akumal is the middle property, on the beach and the party scene beach and pool, a good mix of young and older guests. Tulum seemed a bit quieter, and the beach is rocky - although you can get a palapas without hassle and the night club and shopping at the hacienda are a short walk away. We spent time at all of them so we have a pretty good read on the place. We did not go to the premier golf property across the highway - although the numerous sales reps really wanted us to tour and take advantage of this "great" opportunity.

General area tip: instead of booking through a tour operator, there are white vans, run via the government, that run regularly to all the tour spots for a fraction of the price ($3 - $6 USD), you take the van from your hotel to the location, i.e. Tulum ruins, Xel-Ha, and just pay the regular entrance fee - not increased tour operator fees. Ask for info from your hotel as they don't tell you unless you ask.

Summary: The properties are huge so I'll go elsewhere next time. They have carts that come often to take you around, Coba would benefit from better signage (street signs) at night as it is difficult to find your building if you are not certain where you are and are walking. For me, this resort was way too big, and I'm a city girl. Staff was awesome, the food was fine for an AI, buffets were consistently good. Make reservations for restaurants immediately and don't expect to get what you want. Good entertainment in the evenings, each resort has a variety of choices. All resorts were well maintained. Location: 1 1/2 hours from airport - great if you plan to go the Xel-ha, Tulum ruins or shorkel with turtles otherwise, it is far away from the airport.

The pros: The staff at Coba and all of the resorts were outstanding, from the managers to the bus boys at the buffets - excellent attention to detail was displayed and all seemed very happy to work to make your stay great. They are the greatest asset these properties have. The rooms were nice in size and decor, fairly good with sound between rooms, the beds were hard but had fresh linens and towels. All had ceiling fans, it was cool, but never achieved cold. The pools were nice, with different areas to swim in, either quiet or more active. The Buffet had a wide selection with stations including sushi, Asian, Mexican, Italian, Salads, Kids, Grilled meats, etc. Breakfast can be cooked to order. This was our favorite as it was consistently good and the service was excellent in all locations. Le Gourmet and Japanese steak house had good food and excellent service.

The cons: At Coba I missed waking up to the ocean, and a short ride away is still a ride. It took us 3 rooms to get one that had a decent location with everything working properly, note they don't have elevators so request main floor if that is an issue for you - when we did get it right it was great though - building 23 is centrally located to the lobby, shuttles and pools. Reservations for the alacart restaurants were a joke - not much choice - be sure to make them as soon as you check in or you won't get them, we had to take what was available. The line for making reservations (guest services) was an hour long. (Way understaffed here - some of the Premier sales team should be cross trained to make reservations as it was a total turnoff to wait for something so basic.)

Room Tip: No elevators in 3 story buildings so request accordingly if you have issues.
4 Thank getoutoftown
Cranbrook, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

Stayed at GBP Coba from April 29 - May 5, 2012. This resort has everything you need or want to make a great vacation. Arturo on the transport bus to the hotel is the best - cervasa is $3 on the bus, $6 at the airport. Porters to carry bags very efficient - saved me from some timeshare guys spiel - Note: DO NOT HAND THEM YOUR VOUCHER unless they are airport reps (Transat, AirCanada, etc. Check in was quick had to wander a bit to find room but got to know the place a bit lol. Stayed in Royal Golden Section. Staff was excellent (anything you needed or wanted is done just like that - helps if you communicate in Spanish and say please and thank you (a little bit of honey gets you a lot further than vinegar!). Temperature was hot hot hot very humid, pack very light clothes and nice light dresses for ala cartes. Beach was great! Make sure you put sunscreen on saw many people with sunburn. Photos with iguanas, parrots, big white bird, Mayan warriors, etc in lobby at set times (check out the photo booth in the lobby they have the times posted - great memento of trip). Went on Chichen Itza (Enrique & FilFil are the best!) and Blue Carribe underworld tours - very professional guides, great drivers. Oh the buffet is fabulous! They have different items and menu changes daily (Mexican corner is excellent!). Bar service is so-so, faster to go get it yourself. Waiters/waitressess great (Valentina, Omar, Miguel are stand outs for their service and friendly manner). Front lobby consierge is very friendly, gives lots of information. Coba Beach service (Jose & Miami Vices are da bomb!). Try some of the drinks on the menu - bring insulated cup with straw to save trips. Evening shows are great - especially fun when local Mayans/Yutacan folks at resort! I am going back in November with my daughter and my intention is to purchase a timeshare so we can enjoy the GBP Riveria Maya even more! Oh don't forget to visit the spa it is sooo totally worth it!

Room Tip: Rooms in building 33 are close to everything pools, buffet, entertainment, etc. Have am sun but eve...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank hungrytraveller_9
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

I am writing this review from a visit in Dec of 2011, because while planning my vacation for this summer, I still felt dissapointment about my visit to Coba. The I have now been to both, and i would describe the comparison to be a sweet ripe strawberry to that of a big wet watermelon.

1. The Coba resort is located soooooo far from the beach that walking is not an option. You must wait for the tram/train that comes along every 15 mins.

2. The Coba resort is located soooooo far from the tennis courts that walking is not an option. You must wait for the tram/train that comes along every 15 mins.

3. The resort is sooo spread out, you don't even fell like you belong to anything.....kinda floating around from one area to another as though you're "trespassing" or not supposed to be in this area.

As for the food and the beach experience, it was quite similar to the Palladium, as I assume they all are. A buffet is a buffet...and an a la carte restaurant is in a la carte restaurant.

Final thought......If you enjoy a resort that is so large, and a room that is so far away from everything that you must ride a train..oh wait... a color-coded train (it always seemed that the color that you didnt need was always sitting there with his face in his hands, waiting for passengers).....then this resort is for you. I'm not sure how this got a higher ranking than Palladium, but I will be sure not to make that mistake again, and stick with what I know.

- Houston, TX

Room Tip: Get one near the beach
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank ALAN N
High River, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

What can I say? We flew out May 4 on Air Transat for one week. Flight was on time but flying on a Friday was a nightmare at Mexico customs! I'll try and be brief and precise with the my review.

Arrived at Cancun airport at 2:30pm local time and waited over an hour to get through customs! We hired a private transfer from the airport as we knew the ride was over 90 minutes to the resort and you can't drink beer on the buses anymore. We hired our transfer with Cancun transfer and they were waiting for us with a sign with our name on it. Beer, water and pop in a cooler awaited us . We beat the bus by about 30 minutes.

Check in was quick and our ala carts were ready for us because we emailed ahead of time. They ran through the map of the grounds with us and all the locations of everything but really after waiting over an hour at customs it was just going in one ear and out the other, then the hammer dropped! The Cozumel buffet was closed because of maintenance...?! They handed us our cold drinks and complimentary bottle of cheap tequila and we're on our way to the Royal golden area.

Resort is massive! I really should have paid closer attention to the directions because after we arrived at our room I was lost already. Good thing we were driven to our room as I think I had too many cervesa's during our ride in the private transfer. Clean resort as are most of them and well groomed.

Room was your average room, which surprised me cause of our "royal golden upgrade". We were in building 4 by a small whirlpool and closed bar. King size bed old style TV with terrible reception. Not that i watched TV while i was there aside from falling asleep to it. Nice view as we were on the top floor. No full sunsets but a nice view. Small balcony with 2 chairs and a table.
No mold issues and no "smell". We did however here from another couple that was on the ground floor that smell and mold was an issue in building 6. Made a complaint of the bed skirt being black with mold.

Buffet... while big in size, it still wasn't anything to write home about. Lots of variety but pretty standard fair. Missed breakfast our second day so had to eat at La Casita snack bar... there was nothing there! When i mean nothing... there was no food at all unless you'd like to eat a hamburger without the meat or a hot dog without the dog? It was disappointing. Not a good start to my holiday to say the least. The buffet closes between eating times so we were really left with no choice. We had 4 Ala carts reserved but after the first I'd just about had enough of this place for food options. We ate at the Mikado and it was all over cooked. I just want to add to my earlier comment about the Cozumel buffet being closed for maintenance. They opened May 10 (Mexico's Mother's Day) with reservations then closed again the following day. Was not told about this and being royal golden thought we would have been but sadly our upgrade was not enough I guess?

Beach was ok. It is a big beach area and quite rocky in some places. Never had a problem getting chairs with a palapa. Pools were busier and it was a bit tougher to get good chairs but not impossible.

Staff was hit and miss. Mostly good in our area next to the Cozumel buffet.

Timeshare seems to be an issue on this resort and I can confirm that. We were harassed three different times in two days! They seem to think the're doing us a favor by taking time to talk to us and then they get upset when we say " we know who and what you are and we're not interested".

We stayed one full day on the resort and to be honest I don't think I could have stayed more than that. Not because of the staff but just a combination of everything that transpired. Food is big issue for me and so are options to have it. There was only one buffet open at any one resort. Reason is because of the slow season. That's unfair because its listed on the're website and says nothing about being closed at slow times. I'll be informing my travel agent.

This is our fourth all inclusive in Mexico and I'm beginning to think our last in Mexico.

Room Tip: Get a top floor. If you want to travel outside the resort use a collectivo. Taxi's rip you off.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank F0cused
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
0.6 km away
8.6 km away
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
33.9 km away
Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destinatio...
#71 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,263 reviews
37.2 km away
Hotel Riu Yucatan
Hotel Riu Yucatan
#61 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,343 reviews

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Coba? Share your experiences!