“Good stay, nice hotel, lots to do”

Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed 14 November 2017

Well i guess this will be a long review but I will try and remain un biased.

First impression nice hotel big very clean very large hotel complex. Arrive at hotel after being in a van with one other group so only one stop. Bassically it was just over an hour to get there. If i had to guess about 100km drive. Keep in mind use the bathroom before you go.

Check in was really quick had all our reservations setup and was a breeze. Didnt have to wait in a line so was nice. Gave us a map of resort and times of restaurants and all that stuff. Keep in mind safe isnt provided unless you ask for lock and key at a rate of 5$ usd per day. But its almost a must with passports and wallets and such. Bellboy took our bags upon arrival. We were told of location of our room and our bags would arrive shortly. Found our room pretty quickly and easliy located and marked.

Room : Upon arrival we go the family junior suite so we had already had 2 extra beds setup for us which I will say wasnt expected at all. If we knew that we wouldve asked for a King bed but instead we got 2 doubles ( not queens). Kids had a welcome package of candy in the fridge extra drinks for them and even a kids size robe and slippers. Bed were really nice actually I slept good on them never had an issue. We had a room ( 32032) right by water park and main pool but faced the main highway. As long as door was closed never heard traffic. Nice location as it was close to lobby and pools. Only 2 issues were we had found some tiny bugs crawling around next to bed so kids got scared took my double bed. Not a big deal as its only expected in a hot humid part of the world. Next no drain plug for a jetted tub? Thought it was kinda weird asked front desk for one they said no we dont have drain plugs. My kids like to bath and well now forced to shower was a dissapointment. Otherwise bathroom was nice and large fridge stocked daily.

Beach : For me biggest let down. I understand its Nov. and weather is a little more unpredictable than Jan or Feb. but they did have a roped off area to break the waves. Everyday had a red flag other than this area so going to this the water was murky couldnt see your hand infront of you while trying to snorkel. But part I didnt like was how there were largeish rocks in the sand just in the water making it hard to walk. If you go bring water shoes as you will need em. In total of entire stay of 6 days we only spent 2 hrs at the beach. Ive been to Puerto Vallarta, Punta Cana, Varadero, and Cayo Santa Maria and even though I really prefer white sand I would rather have Pacific sand this was a waste of my time and effort to swim in. Was nice to look at though.

Food : We only at the buffet as its just easier with kids. Lots of options and we have picky eaters for kids but they could usually find something they like. Never had an issue sometimes just warm food but taste was good. But I will say first time ever going on a vacation and never having one person have a stomach issue. Well done Bahia.
service was good, some nights Id rather just get my own drinks but can be busy. Just alot of tables for staff to service but kudos to them for working so hard.

Entertainment : As for evening shows best I've seen at an all inclusive resort they work really hard at what they do. But I will say the shows in the theater are too loud for kids and almost annoyingly too loud. Turn it down 1 notch and should be good, just a good thing Im half deaf.

Pools : We pretty much used the main pool at the Coba for our stay. Had lots going on was clean and good size. We used the "other" pool at the Coba was nice but seemed like it was more of a quiet pool but both had swim up bars which was nice. One small let down that worked in the end was the kids water park. Was once of the deciding factors into trying this hotel was the waterpark. When we arrive it was still under construction was showing to be done Nov 1 we arrive Nov 5. It was finished on our 2nd to last day. Kudos to the men and women working very hard to finishing it and working till 9pm every day. Kids really enjoyed it and its location was perfect.

Getting around : First off this hotel and complex is massive. You can walk to get around but trust me you will use the bus system. Was actually alot better than I expected ran frequently. I was impressed on how many buses they used so cant complain at all. Most waits were approx 5 min. One downside..... vacationers can be so rude and even behave like children. Example. Im a family of 4 with 2 kids age 8 and 5 when a bus pulls up they run and I mean run even if your infront of the line to budge infront even we have young kids and then try and take a whole row of seats for 2 even though 4 fit. So yeah was annoyed with some people on how rude they are.

Overall : Huge resort, for me I like a smaller hotel but wanted to try something different. Service was good and people working hard to make sure your trip is a good one. Other than a couple small and minor issues was a great place. If you are counting on a nice swim in the ocean yeah didnt work for us. But food was plentiful and lots of choices. Bars werent too backed up so drinks didnt take long. I enjoyed my stay and so did the family.

Room Tip: look at a map before you go and request your location, this is a huge place try and get what works f...
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank doobiess

Dear guest,

We appreciate you taking time to express your comments about your stay with us.

Thank you for letting us know your observation regarding your experience, we always make our best to exceed our guests expectations!

Your evaluation is of special importance and please be assured that we have shared your feedback with the rest of the team, we all took your suggestions as a learning tool and will keep working to improve our services and make sure our entire guest feel welcomed.

If you choose us again as your holiday destination it will be pleasure to serve you again in the best possible way. ; -)

Receive our warmest regards,

Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Write a ReviewReviews (14,088)

Reviewed 14 November 2017

So we travel twice a yr somewhere hot, just so you have an idea if we know what we are talking about. So first off this hotel by bus is 2 hours from the hotel. Which really was not fun after all day flying. Then when you get there let the line ups for the trip begin. Gold club has a separate lobby to check in which you have to take a trolly to. But however are not told that until well waiting in line for 1/2 hour first. Then are told oh no you can’t make dinner reservations today. Come stand in the public relations line in the morning. So in the morning then expect to stand in line for 1 hour and a half to get told. Oh yah I know the gold you paid for status is guaranteed reservations but we only have room at the crappy ones at 10 pm. I have a 6 yr old so that went over really well. For tonight or the whole week only. Oh the whole week we have no Japanese show at all and the Brazil one either. So if your going here make sure you reserve before coming or enjoy 7 days of buffet that never changes food. Same food almost every day we had to eat. Pool was really nice size and kids splash park too. But no chorine in the pool so bring ear plugs to avoid ear infections. Yep there is a doctor in the shopping centre. Which we needed because of it. To get money changed it is the same line as the checkout and bill paying Lines. So yep more lines to wait. To get drinks at the pool and Bar were always Lines to wait in. The wifi is very slow and hardly works. So by some minutes on your phone. The lobby is full everyday of people trying to connect to it.
As for rooms, the previous reviews are correct. After 3 room moves this was evidence the air conditioning was pritty much non existent in all the rooms. The fan may save you. But not until you climatize. The gold room and reserve club are the farthest room from the lobby, building 30 A is a good one. Top floor If you don’t want to hear people above your head. Beds are hard! And kids get a tiny bed on the couch. Drinks were great in the lobby and yuck everywhere else. Spent almost a full day waiting in lines all over I’m sure. Very big resort with lots of people. So expect lines and waiting. Not our favourite fore sure. Gold club was not worth the extra money.. we didn’t even get anything till day 3 from them. Slippers, robes etc. And you can’t do anything in that lobby like book dinner pay for things you billed to your room there. So why bother being in Gold! Don’t waste your money. We will not go back here, there is a lot better hotels with more service oriented goals around.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank sunfunandservice

Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for your comments about your stay at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, Riviera Maya!

We are very concerned about the discomfort you felt for some of our services; we really thank you for letting us know your valuable observations and we sincerely regret for have not met your expectations, We appreciate the time that you disposed to share your valuable feedback with us.

We have sent this information to every Department involved so necessary measures can be taken to guarantee our guest's satisfaction.

We hope you give us a second chance to restore your confidence in our resort, it would be wonderful to host you again.

Kind regards!

Reviewed 14 November 2017 via mobile

Nice resort. Very professional staff. Clean and spacious. Rooms are a bit outdated. Wi-Fi is only available in the lobby. You could upgrade to a higher range of frequency but let's be honest. That's clearly a money trap. It's really not that serious...if you're on vacation or a getaway. Turning off the internet. And spending every minute at the beach or the pool is why I went to Cancun. The buffet table is just like any other buffet. Plenty choices. The Bravia resort in the Dominican Republic in my opinion has a better sense of hospitality. The staff at this one seem a bit overworked. Tip them well...enjoyed the trip �

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank John T

Dear Guest,

We are very concerned about the discomfort you felt; we thank you for letting us know your observations and we sincerely regret for have not met your expectations, We appreciate the time that you disposed to share your valuable feedback with us.

We have sent this information to every Department Involved so necessary measures can be taken to guarantee our guest's satisfaction.

Kind regards!

Reviewed 13 November 2017

Everything worked out to create a great time, relaxed and enjoyable...the buffet was excellent - I cannot think of something that I could not find, and the icecream, cheese, chimichangas and mimosas were my absolute favorites! I liked the fact that they cater for all tastes, kids, vegetarians, etc... People work hard but still smile and I have a great respect for them. I enjoyed the transportation by electric little cars and the water too. The barrier is not pretty but at least you're sure not going to have any unexpected encounter :-)...
Ala carte: Cozumel was great but Portofino was absolutely divine!

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank ice_cristi
Management response:Responded 14 November 2017

Dear Guest,

We are delighted to receive your feedback and that you have visited us recently at our little paradise !

We wanted to thank you for let us know about your experience and that you were content with the service of the staff, the quality of the restaurants and the variety of food around the resort.

Your honest opinion can be a valuable reference for other customers who are thinking to stay with us, so we deeply appreciate the time you took to share it.

Kind regard from Mexico,

Reviewed 12 November 2017

This was our first time in Mexico and we couldnt have picked a better hotel. The Grand Bahia Principe Coba was everything we had wished for. The hotel was spotless and every inch was kept in good condition. Food was lovely and plenty to choose from especially for picky eaters. We would like to say a huge thank you to Jose Asuncion puc chi (Bell-boy Coba) from the first day of arriving he looked after us in a professional manner and helped us during the next two weeks. Nothing was a problem for him. He was always so friendly and cheerful and it gave us that great holiday feeling. We would also like to say thank you to every single member of Bahia Scouts Coba for making our son James feel so welcome. He loved all of the activities that you did and you made it so fun and entertaining. We felt completely safe with our child in your care. We couldnt believe how organised and fun the kids club was. Everybody was always happy. We look forward to seeing you next year. We cannot wait to come back.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank gsaw19
Management response:Responded 13 November 2017

Dear guest,

We thank you for your comments on the service offered by our hotel and staff. Every word is welcomed as it helps to improve the quality of our hotel and motivates to be the best hotel in the Riviera Maya.

Best regards from the Mexican caribbean,

Geraldine Luna Ameca

Reviewed 10 November 2017

Another great stay at Coba (Oct 1 to Oct 7,2017)Met our Friends from Wales,who we first met at Coba April 2016, First time in all our stays at Coba that there was a lot of rain but the staff was well prepared and was able to make our vacation still a good one.
Food at the main buffet has a large selection. we love breakfast the most. Excellent drinks at the swim up bars,Coba lounge and at the Royal Golden lounge. Room cleaned daily and fridge restocked daily. Had a few minor issues but in all cases,taken care of very quickly. Thanks to all the staff at Coba from check in to check out,these people are what makes the holiday so special. Special thank you to Maria,Alba,Jeremiah(Main Buffet)and Martha(Coba Lounge)best of the best

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ray H
Management response:Responded 12 November 2017

Dear repeat Guest,

We would like to express our gratitude for choosing our hotel once again for your vacations.

It is an honor for us to host you in your 11h time with us and to know that you feel at home here. Our aim is to get the maximum satisfaction of all our guests, even more when it comes to our frequent ones.

Thank you for mentioning our staff, they have already received your congratulations. Our mission is to exceed our guest´s expectations and we are glad to know that we accomplished this goal with you.

We will be more than excited to welcome you many times more at our Bahia family♥ !

Kind Regards from sunny Mexico,

Reviewed 10 November 2017

I never write reviews for anything...I always mean to but I think when you have a great experience or are happy with things, in general people don't like to write reviews unless they're bad it seems! Anyway...this is why I had to write about this fantastic resort.

After reading some of the reviews on here I was a bit worried even though there were also some fantastic positive reviews. We flew out from Manchester on 28th October, (12 night stay) myself and partner both 30 and a nearly 3 year old. Flight was 10 hours, flew with Thomson on the dreamliner and it was great...we had a 2 hour delay but no problem for us! We arrived at cancun airport - the reps and people in general were so helpful and organised.

We arrived at hotel after our transfer which was supposed to be a long transfer but seemed quite quick! Nice big airy coach. Check in was very quick for us and were welcomed with a drink and I felt was informative. We were allocated Villa 6B and transported there by the buggies (which are amazing! DO NOT listen to anyone that says you wait long for them and can only be used from lobby! Its complete lies!!!! We never waited more than 5 minutes for one from the lobby and even around the resort wherever we were walking and even if we didn't want one they would still stop and ask if we needed to jump on! All the drivers were polite helpful and funny! We always had stroller and they would always get off and assist! Sometimes even if they weren't going where we wanted they would take us! Yes the resort is huuuuuuge, it does have 4 hotels on site, Coba, Tulum, Akumel and Sian Khan, we could only use Coba and Tulum and this was fine! We didnt need to go anywhere else!

Food - due to a 12 night stay we were given 6 al a carte sittings. We chose cozumel (mexican),Portofina (Italian) Gran Tortuga (Brazilian) Mashua which is new and we did boook Don Pablo and Mikado but unfortunately never made it to those. Mashua by far was our favourite amaing seafood! We were even invited back for a special poolside dinner - the manager was amazing friendly and accommodating and always made special foods for my daughter too! Anyone complaining about the buffet I have no idea why! There is a huuuuuuuge range of cold and hot food for breakfast. lunch and dinner, never had any issue and for a buffet some of the food was amazing. They even had chefs cooking fresh food in there in front of you if you wanted that, which we did, we had fresh eggs and special omelettes made and a special pasta dish too. The snack bars aren't great for food but it is what it is and you still have the option for the main buffet. La Cassita snack bar was 24 hour so you could get food or drinks at any time through the night!!

The pools were clean and beautiful and they had pool bars in them too. Everywhere was spotless! The grounds were beautiful and clean, and had little cute animals running around. They didn't bother you and my daughter loved seeing them. Rooms were cleaned every day without fail, fresh linen and towels!

The only 1 downside to the whole thing was that 2 days into our trip the waterpark then had to close and we actually only chose this hotel for that reason for my daughter, now I have seen a review about this issue and all I can say is nothing is perfect things happen and as far as I was aware and what I was told whilst there was that water pipe had burst or been damaged and it was totally unplanned so how can his be helped - I was slightly annoyed just for my daughter but they still have lots of pools and we were planning day trips anyway and as we were with Thompson they compensated us. I did speak to one of the managers there first as advised by Thompson and dont feel that he was very accommodating but I wont put this hotel down by that one thing. Security of the hotel is by far best I have ever seen - it may be a standard thing in Riviera Maya - when we had trips out and came back in via taxi - we would be stopped 3 times on way in - now some people find this annoying but I find this to be a real comfort in terms of safety.

1 little thing about wifi - you can only use fo free in Lobby area or pay extra - but I had read reviews before going out and downloaded boingo app and it worked for a bit then stopped I have no idea why but who wants to be on phones all the time in such a beautiful place anyway.

Honestly we had an amazing time here, couldn't fault it, Just remember nothing and no one is perfect.....but we truly had an amazing experience here and would love to return one day xxx

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
6  Thank chantelle m
Management response:Responded 12 November 2017

Dear Guest,

We are delighted to receive your feedback and that you have visited us recently

We wanted to thank you for let us know about your experience and that you were content with the service in general.

Kind regards from Mexico,