Well i guess this will be a long review but I will try and remain un biased.
First impression nice hotel big very clean very large hotel complex. Arrive at hotel after being in a van with one other group so only one stop. Bassically it was just over an hour to get there. If i had to guess about 100km drive. Keep in mind use the bathroom before you go.
Check in was really quick had all our reservations setup and was a breeze. Didnt have to wait in a line so was nice. Gave us a map of resort and times of restaurants and all that stuff. Keep in mind safe isnt provided unless you ask for lock and key at a rate of 5$ usd per day. But its almost a must with passports and wallets and such. Bellboy took our bags upon arrival. We were told of location of our room and our bags would arrive shortly. Found our room pretty quickly and easliy located and marked.
Room : Upon arrival we go the family junior suite so we had already had 2 extra beds setup for us which I will say wasnt expected at all. If we knew that we wouldve asked for a King bed but instead we got 2 doubles ( not queens). Kids had a welcome package of candy in the fridge extra drinks for them and even a kids size robe and slippers. Bed were really nice actually I slept good on them never had an issue. We had a room ( 32032) right by water park and main pool but faced the main highway. As long as door was closed never heard traffic. Nice location as it was close to lobby and pools. Only 2 issues were we had found some tiny bugs crawling around next to bed so kids got scared took my double bed. Not a big deal as its only expected in a hot humid part of the world. Next no drain plug for a jetted tub? Thought it was kinda weird asked front desk for one they said no we dont have drain plugs. My kids like to bath and well now forced to shower was a dissapointment. Otherwise bathroom was nice and large fridge stocked daily.
Beach : For me biggest let down. I understand its Nov. and weather is a little more unpredictable than Jan or Feb. but they did have a roped off area to break the waves. Everyday had a red flag other than this area so going to this the water was murky couldnt see your hand infront of you while trying to snorkel. But part I didnt like was how there were largeish rocks in the sand just in the water making it hard to walk. If you go bring water shoes as you will need em. In total of entire stay of 6 days we only spent 2 hrs at the beach. Ive been to Puerto Vallarta, Punta Cana, Varadero, and Cayo Santa Maria and even though I really prefer white sand I would rather have Pacific sand this was a waste of my time and effort to swim in. Was nice to look at though.
Food : We only at the buffet as its just easier with kids. Lots of options and we have picky eaters for kids but they could usually find something they like. Never had an issue sometimes just warm food but taste was good. But I will say first time ever going on a vacation and never having one person have a stomach issue. Well done Bahia.
service was good, some nights Id rather just get my own drinks but can be busy. Just alot of tables for staff to service but kudos to them for working so hard.
Entertainment : As for evening shows best I've seen at an all inclusive resort they work really hard at what they do. But I will say the shows in the theater are too loud for kids and almost annoyingly too loud. Turn it down 1 notch and should be good, just a good thing Im half deaf.
Pools : We pretty much used the main pool at the Coba for our stay. Had lots going on was clean and good size. We used the "other" pool at the Coba was nice but seemed like it was more of a quiet pool but both had swim up bars which was nice. One small let down that worked in the end was the kids water park. Was once of the deciding factors into trying this hotel was the waterpark. When we arrive it was still under construction was showing to be done Nov 1 we arrive Nov 5. It was finished on our 2nd to last day. Kudos to the men and women working very hard to finishing it and working till 9pm every day. Kids really enjoyed it and its location was perfect.
Getting around : First off this hotel and complex is massive. You can walk to get around but trust me you will use the bus system. Was actually alot better than I expected ran frequently. I was impressed on how many buses they used so cant complain at all. Most waits were approx 5 min. One downside..... vacationers can be so rude and even behave like children. Example. Im a family of 4 with 2 kids age 8 and 5 when a bus pulls up they run and I mean run even if your infront of the line to budge infront even we have young kids and then try and take a whole row of seats for 2 even though 4 fit. So yeah was annoyed with some people on how rude they are.
Overall : Huge resort, for me I like a smaller hotel but wanted to try something different. Service was good and people working hard to make sure your trip is a good one. Other than a couple small and minor issues was a great place. If you are counting on a nice swim in the ocean yeah didnt work for us. But food was plentiful and lots of choices. Bars werent too backed up so drinks didnt take long. I enjoyed my stay and so did the family.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services: 2 lake-style pools, 3 Jacuzzis, large sun terrace and gardens with sun umbrellas and loungers, pool and beach towel service, BAHIA SPA (additional charge). Sports facilities: gym, 5 tennis courts, basketball court, bicycles, motorized sports (additional charge), water activity centre, entertainment amphitheater. WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge), buffet restaurant, 4 a la carte restaurants, 8 bars, 2 snack bars. Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest. Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco Rooms 1080 rooms including 4 types: Superior Junior Suite, Club Golden Junior Suite, Family Junior Suite and Master Family Suite. Room facilities: Two full size beds or a king size bed, sitting area with sofa, fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bathtub, shower, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer, bathroom amenities. Balcony or terrace, air conditioning, ceiling fan, telephone, radio alarm clock, flat screen satellite TV, mini-bar, coffee-making facilities, safe (additional charge), ironing set, terrace, Wifi. Family Junior Suites and Master Family Suites, the perfect choice for families, including: All the facilities and services of a Junior Suite; bathrobes and slippers for all the family for use during your stay, children's bath kit, welcome basket with sweets, mini-bar with juices, shakes, milk and soft drinks for children, two fully independent connecting rooms (Master Family Suites), Club Golden Junior Suites Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy a range of specially-tailored facilities: Children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Bahia Scouts Water Park Teen's Club (11 - 16 years) Baby Station Other services On-site miniature railway providing access to all facilities Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Personalised diet option for celiacs and diabetics Cash point Specialised service for organising weddings, events and anniversaries Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Coba reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Coba Akumal
- Hotel Gran Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Coba Mexico
- Gran Bahia Coba
- Gran Bahia Principe Resort Coba
- Gran Bahia Principe Coba Hotel
- Gran Principe
- Gran Bahia Principe Mexico
- Bahia Coba
- Grand Bahia Principe Coba Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico