14,990 results
All reviews premier lobby cozumel buffet le gourmet a la cartes fish golden lobby playa del carmen snack bar quiet pool kids water park akumal beach main buffet michael jackson show show table other resorts great resort activity pool
Reviewed September 1, 2010

I whole heartedly agree with the last reviewer, but have some add ons...
This resort is huge, 10 times bigger than how it looks on the web and having to wait for two trains to get from one part of the resort to another can become wearing after afew days. I am not a lazy person by the way, the resort is just massive, so don't think ahh I'll just walk"
On arrrival we got a letter that said that Mexican people were generally abrubt and stern but they meant no offence. I think when you pay thousands of pounds to go to a hotel a smile and good service should be part of the package. This wasn't the case at Coba. The buffet restaurant was constantly understaffed and the staff there were under pressure and quite miserable. You could ask for coffee several times and be greeted with "yes in a minute" they would then clear 10 to 15 tables and then you'd still never get the coffee. it would make more sense for guests to get it themselves and take the pressure off the staff and then maybe there might a friendlier atmosphere. Forget the main bar near the premier part of Coba, the staff there don't even aknowledge you, they are there to socialise with each other it seems.
There are many plus points at the resort. If you go to Tulum its like another resort. Friendly staff, nothings too much trouble and its a lovely relaxed restaurant. The food is hot, plentiful and well stocked.
The Ala carte restaurants are lovely, exceptional service in all of the ones we visited, particularly Portafino and mediterraneo.
The Coba beach is lovely, go there, don't waste a day going to the other one, particularly if you have smaller kids.
All in all, I really liked Mexico, but if I were to go back I would choose a smaller hotel where I could just walk everywhere and that was a bit more personal.
if you have already booked this resort, make sure you get booked into Tulum from the start and eat at as many ala carte restaurants as you can and you will have an amazing time.

Reviewed August 31, 2010

I just love this place. I been there fourth time now. Twice with friends and twice by myself. And planning to go back with one of my friend in october. The resort is so big, so you don't have the time to get bored. The first time I've been sick. I think it was the water from the buffet and bar cause now I don't drink it anymore only the bottle and never been sick again. The food is ok I tried all the buffet and for me its all the same. For the a la carte restaurant, I loved la gran tortuga, le gourmet and mikado. Stay away from the mexican restaurant. For The drink, they are pretty good. A lot of alcohol choice: malibu, absolut, bacardi, jack daniel... But u have to asked if you want it if not they give you cheap alcohol. The beach are good but if you wanna see a really nice beach and that you don't care going outside of the hotel, you have to go see the beach in tulum named el paraiso. You won't regret. all the staff are really lovely, Bartender, waiter and Entertainment people are really friendly and they working hard to make everybody happy. Overall that is may not be the right hotel if you are looking for a romantic trip but if you looking to have fun and memorable vacation gbp coba is a really good option.

• Stayed: August 2010
2  Thank sbpsbp
Reviewed August 31, 2010

We have just got back from spending 14 nights at the Coba. In general we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and our 5 year old daughter loved it all. We were in the Golden Club but received no welcome drink and were pointed in the general direction of our room, this has never happened to us before in 20 years of visiting caribbean hotels. The room we had was very good, although a new paint job would not go amiss and despite numerous requests we waited 4 days for a coffe machine and never saw the promised iron & ironing board. The Golden Club Reception closed half way through our second week, with the computers being removed without any prior notice.The beach and pools were very good although trying to get a bed at the quiet pool involved getting up very early to reserve a place. Akumel was much easier to get a place but was too deep for my daughter with very limited shallow areas.
Speciality restaurants were all good, we liked the italian best, but we found that the buffets, although large, were limited with several slight variations of the same food spread throught the buffet area.
The evening shows were of a mediocre standard and with only six shows were insufficent for a 14 night holiday, we didn't appreciate being charged extra for the Mexican show. We were also dissapointed that, unless you caught the train to the Hacienda, the bars in the hotel closed at 11pm, except for the snack bar.

As I said we did enjoy our time at Coba but we would not return as there are too many irritations as listed above.

4  Thank dwfco
Reviewed August 29, 2010

This marked our 6th trip to the Cancun/Riviera Maya area, so we have seen a variety of hotels and basically knew what to expect.
Long transfer to hotel, but we booked USA transfers and they were great. We even got to stop for an adult beverage which was a nice start to the trop. Check in at Golden lobby went fairly smoothly, but we arrived 20 minutes before check in time and had to go waste 45 min. before we could head to our room. We did get a welcome drink and went the the buffet to eat, so it really wasn't all lost time. Internet as mentioned was slow and spotty and towards the end of our stay, the computers were totally removed from the golden lobby.
The vibe at GBP was just not for us. Really geared for families traveling with children and groups, too bad we were looking for a romantic getaway. Lots of food to choose from, and most of it was good, several large buffets and great ala cartes. Drinks were syrupy sweet and no Capt. Morgan?! White wine was a bit harsh by my standards. Rooms were very large and clean nice ammenities with whirlpool tub and lots of marble, big bed ( or maybe a slab of rock? not sure) and sitting area inside and on balcony. We were had a pool view of the activity pool, and it was loud all through the day, My husband was ill 2 days of our stay and really miserable he had a tough time sleeping with all the noise. Also had several staff members entering our room after it had been cleaned and the bar was re-stocked with the do not disturb sign out. Makes me wonder how many people where through our room on the days we weren't there.
We stayed on resort the whole 7 days, and there was plenty to see, really huge beach with plenty of chairs-- this is not true at the pool, but as many others have already mentioned this is an issue.
Though it was just OK, we would not even consider returning unless we had a big group. A good value for the price we paid, but NOT GREAT for Couples. We will not be returning.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank stullberg
Reviewed August 29, 2010

Before I booked at the Gran Bahia Principe Coba resort, I spent quite a bit of time going through the reviews on this site so I thought I would return the favor and add my 2 cents for people deciding if they should book or not.

I spent 1 week at this resort with my wife and 2 teens - we loved it. I would return tomorrow in a heart beat.

The resort is huge - but this is not necessarily a bad thing. We enjoyed the option of going from resort to resort and trying the different pools and services available at the different hotels. It was like having 3 vacations in 1 so we were never bored - 1 day at Coba, 1 day at Tulum, 1 day at Akamal - wonderful. We were impressed with the cleanliness of the property - there is literally an army of people working hard from sun rise to sun set to make sure everything was perfect. The food was very good - no complaints from any of us and no one got sick. All in all, an excellent vacation that was well worth the cost. I have seen negative comments from some posters but don't be deterred - this resort has something for everyone from the ones looking for a relaxing spot to lounge around to the ones looking for a party and lots of activities. Yes, there are all types of animals wandering the grounds - we saw iguanas, monkeys and other types of animals we were exactly sure what they were but that's part of the vacation isn't it? You are in Mexico after all not in downtown New York or Toronto or Vancouver - if you are ready to accept this once you get to your hotel, you will enjoy all that this resort has to offer.

4  Thank factop