“Crappy weather - amazing vacation”

Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
north of Toronto
“Crappy weather - amazing vacation”
Reviewed 18 January 2010

Despite the unseasonally cold weather this past week, we had a lovely holiday at the Palladium Colonial. On the cold days, we planned walks down the beach, into town, the hot tub at the Spa and excursions. We spent several days on the beach - every minute that the sun was out (not often this week)!

Room - nice
Beach - white sand, rocky past the shoreline (bring your water shoes) but still worth going in - we saw jumping fish all around us - amazing experience - you can snorkel right off the beach in the reef area
Getting around - the resort is large - especially if you want to enjoy the great restaurants and pools on the other 3 resorts - we walked off our buffet food every day - only took the shuttle once - not a great resort if you have difficulty walking
Boat tour - we took a lovely 20-minute plantoon boat tour at the White Sands - it picked us up right off the lobby area - especially nice at night
Getting around town - consider taking the local bus to Playa del Carmen or Tulum (price was $2ish US compared to $23ish for a taxi)
Food - the a la carte restaurants are great (Japanese had a grill show at our table, Brazilian offered 8 courses of meat - just a fun approach to good food)
Tours - the excursion to Coba was great - it is the only pyramid that you can still climb (all 120 uneven steps) - also included was a trip to see Mayan homes - another great outing was a bus (or taxi) trip to Playa del Carmen which lights up at night. It really comes to life - good music, great food, cheap massages ($30 for an hour), plenty of great silver jewellery.

I really can't say a bad thing about this resort - or about the Mayan Riviera!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Zigeuner62
DtorAdjunto, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 23 January 2017
Dear Guest,

First of all, we want to thank you for choosing us as you holiday provider. Thank you also for sharing your excellent experience at the Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa.

We are delighted to know that we were able to exceed your expectations. We are beyond thrilled when our guests have a fantastic experience with us.
Thank you again. We are so looking forward to welcoming you back again in the future to show you all the improvements and renovations in the last years

Grand Palladium Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Polish first
Milwaukee
Reviewed 12 January 2010

For those of us used to the ease of a trip to Cancun, beware. The ordeal commences with a 90 min. ride from the airport, so unlike a 20 min. ride to Cancun's Hotel Zone. One cannot truly fathom just how s p r a w l i n g this resort is by looking at website pix or map. Oh, my aching knees! It would be so nice if there were more transportation provided. Don't count on it. The many paths between the villas are marked with quite confusing signage.
Check in was fine and we were driven to our nice, not particularly exceptional, Mayan Suite. The outdoor shower is cool. The large room with couch was well cleaned and stocked. Dresser drawers were stinky!
The trek to the Kentanah lobby was best via the beach although covered paths got us there dry from the rain. Do bring that bug spray! If you want to eat, you must get to the lobby. Don't know where they hid the 24 hour food.
There are two main buildings that each house two lobbies. The Kentanah and Colonial are mirrored in one building. The Riviera and White Sands are mirrored in the other. The two buildings are way too far to walk between. There are infrequent "trains" that commute between them.
I was so weary of walking all over creation to get anywhere in this gi-normous resort that I truly was unhappy with having to walk about the buffets to get my mediocre food. I dearly wanted to be seated and served. The a la carte restaurants have a long wait, although we lucked out and walked right in to Mare Nostrum and had a delicious Shrimp dinner. The waiter was horribly indifferent.
Sure would have liked a cocktail waitress at the beautiful pool. Can there be too many chairs on the beach? Yes. The Spa was a nice treat on a cold, rainy day.
I'll be so happy to be back at my Temptation Resort. in Cancun ; )

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank TemptmeMKE
CR,IA
Reviewed 31 December 2009

My husband and I went there for our honeymoon and have recently booked to go back for our anniversary. We just loved it there. The people were great, the hotel was gorgeous and very clean. The beach is TOP OPTIONAL for those of you with children, but for those of you w/o, great way to have no tan lines!!! I would 100% recommend The Grand Palladium to EVERYONE. If you are going w/o kids should definitely stay in the Royal Suites for the best experience. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!!!

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank storm1234567

Dear Guest

Awesome! Sounds like you had a splendid trip here at Grand Palladium Resort & Spa. We have succeeded providing a memorable vacation.
Thank you for your feedback. This information has let us know during the years to know what we are excelling in and what we need to work on and we can proudly show a new development with many renovated facilities and a generally resort upgrade.
We appreciate your kind words on our resort amenities. Our staff is always there to assist and make your experience even greater. It’s our hope to be able to exceed your expectations once more.
We feel honored that you would return and can’t wait to see you on your next vacation!

GA
Reviewed 25 December 2009

Since this was out first time to Mexico in an all-inclusive deal, I personally had mixed feelings about everything, But quite honestly I am very glad we went. The resort is simply FABULOUS, very clean, with very hardworking staff who would do anything to keep you happy. The food is good, the buffet has a different theme every day, and the menu is very diversified. The restaurants are good, no complaints at all. Our room was a Junior suite and it was very spacious, marble floor, Jacuzzi, and a mini fridge filled everyday with beer sodas and water. The swimming pool is huge and we always had our privacy. The night entertainment are family friendly so you can have your kids with you if you want all the time. They have Live band playing every night starting 8 pm, and the show at the theater starts around 10 pm for one hour then the band resumes. Our favorite shows were the "caribe show" , this one was SO much fun. Now, I know people were complaining about the distances they have to walk, but to us to us it was actually very pleasant. Come on people, the resort is so nice that I would actually recommend to walk and enjoy it. You can always take the train or golf/carts they show up every 10 minutes or less. The only thing we were not really thrilled about was the beach...but it is just us because we have been to many Caribbean islands and the beaches there are far better than any beach we have seen in Mexico. The beach at the Palladium was full of seaweed and quite rocky especially at the riviera side. Other than this everything is perfect:)

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank mbisbis

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your friendly review. We are very pleased to have made your stay a special and memorable one!
It makes us happy to know that you had a wonderful vacation and we were able to live up your expectations! Thank you for sharing.
Your home away from home awaits you next time you are in Mexico, and show all the newest renovation and progress

Reviewed 13 December 2009

The Grand Palladium Riviera was everything the travel agent promised, and more. We can't say enough about the beauty of the resort. Our room was a junior suite, and it was large enough and quite comfortable. It took a day or two to get used to the marble tile floor, instead of the usual carpeting, but the weather was nice and warm, so a "cold floor" was not an issue. Nice, spacious bathroom, with both shower and tub with Jacuzzi - a nice touch. Amenities like the terry robes for after bathing were most welcome. Our maids left a different cute animal figure made out of towels on the bed every day. We were there for a week, and there was never a long wait for any of the specialty restaurants. We went to a different one each night, and found the service and food to be superb. Being musical folks, we especially enjoyed the Mexican renditions provided by the strolling Mariachi players in the restaurants. We spent much more time at the beach than at either of the grand pools, but did enjoy an occasional swim in the pools. The salt water pool, which was near our building (#61) was a nice treat. A little caution was required when swimming at the beach, as there were coral rocks here and there, making it easy to misstep or bash your foot for a nasty bruise. Maybe some potential guests will also want to know that topless sunbathing and swimming are permitted on the beach, but not at the pools. Another important thing to know is that the Riveria is one of four contiguous resorts, and while you can use any of the facilities, there is a good deal of walking involved. We don't mind walking, but this would be a problem for some who can't walk long distances. We will be raving about this vacation for a long time!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Singer63

Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Reviewed 6 December 2009

We have been to the Riviera Maya area 15+ times and most often go to an all inclusive resort due to the value. We typically stay in the Playacar area and wanted to try something different, especially as the beaches in Playacar are in bad shape these days. I did a tremendous amount of research and knew the Grand Palladium was going to be big. I can tell you that all of my reviews and all of the maps just did not prepare us for how BIG this place is. So, having said that, that was the only downside to this place.
The hotel is just lovely, very well kept public areas, nice large rooms, good food, good service. We really liked the salt water pool, large room, nice bathrooms, variety of ala carte restaurants with no reservations required. The live music in the lobbies in the evening were also nice. Beach area was nice, it was very busy the week we were there (Thanksgiving), but we always were able to find a shady spot. I'd really have enjoyed a hammock....which was not to be found. Spa was nice. I did get tired of the only food selection on the beach, which was Punta Emilia. While the food was fine, I am not a "fast food" fan, so got tired of nachos, pizza and burgers after a day or so. Unfortunately, other options were quite a hike away. I enjoyed both the buffets and the ala cartes. Buffet for breakfast was very good. Lunch very good. We only ate dinner at the buffet two nights, the rest of the nights we tried various restaurants. We really liked Ribs & More and the Japanese restarurant.
I've included pics of our room - 6214. View - none. We asked for a different block or a higher level, but the resort was pretty full. The resort also was not very accomodating for a room change. Upon check in, we were shown all other room availability. As we were getting ready to chose a different room, a supervisor came over, said something in spanish, then said there were no rooms to change to. I know there were....the other employee had already tols us there were. I just didn't want to fuss about it and get myself in a bad mood, so we stuck with the first room we were assigned. We had booked White Sands and ended up in the Riviera section.. The room itself was fine, just a bit out of the way. So enough of my rambling....if you go, you will have a very nice time. Just do be prepared to walk. Don't underestimate how big this place is...and there is no way to avoid the walking due to the placement of the restaurants. We had a great time, but I will not return due to the size and it was pretty far out. I've included some pics of the room, our balconly view and other pics that I don't think were posted elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
5 Thank Can_we_go

Dear Guest

White Lake, Mi.
Reviewed 5 December 2009

Just returned from The Grand Palladium Rivera. 11/22/09-11/30/09 eight nights. We had eight in our group, three adults all in our late 40s, and five kids from the ages of 6-12. As others before have stated this property is big, but if you use the trams that run from lobby to lobby you will never have a far walk. They also run from various points around the resort. We enjoyed the resort and I still struggle to understand how some people can “hate” it. We thought the food was above average for an all inclusive and thought the specialty restaurants were very good. We had eight nights at the resort and only ate at the buffet one night. They really make it easy to enjoy the specialty restaurants with a walk up policy. We always ate right around 6:00pm and never had a wait for any restaurant we wanted. If you want to learn more about the food and menus, or just general stuff, there are a couple of good sites out there that will help. Palladium addicts and unofficial Palladium are good resources. The place is very well maintained and yes it is true that not everyone speaks English, but that was never a problem for us. We had a nice room in Villa 60, rooms 6015 and 6022. I could go on and on, but I won’t. If you are planning a trip and choose the Palladium, you’ll enjoy it. I would have no problem recommending this resort to friends. Would I go back, only if other people I new were going as I like to try different places each time I vacation. My tenth trip down to the area and I have stayed at the same place only one other time. Riu’s, Melia Cozumel, El Cozameleno, Casa Mexicana, Playa Azul…This was one that is in the top of the places I’ve stayed at. If you have a specific question, just let me know and I’ll do my best to answer it. Enjoy!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family