“Big Resort, Big Fun”

Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Saskatoon, Canada
“Big Resort, Big Fun”
Reviewed 10 February 2012

If you're confused by Trip Advisor having listings for both the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel & Spa and the Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach Resort, don't be. They're the same place but with two different reception areas.

The place is HUGE. It's by far the biggest resort I've ever attended. There are two groups of hotel buildings that are separated by probably about 1km with pools, restaurants, and the beach in between.

Our room was very nice. We had two double beds and one pull-out couch which worked out well for a couple with two kids. The rooms were big and had a fridge that was stocked daily with pop and beer. The bathroom was large and had both a shower and a whirlpool tub. The weird part was the opening between the room and the bathroom. There was a hole that had been somewhat blocked with frosted glass but not as well as it should be (and some rooms don't even have the glass). This is Mexico. Sometimes you're going to eat something and maybe make sounds in the bathroom afterwards that you don't want your wife to hear.

There were three pools on the grounds one very close to each set of hotel buildings where there were activities daily. The one in the centre was the quiet pool which was so large and had a sweeping curve to it that at first I thought there were several pools there. The Lazy River was a big hit with our kids. It's a long narrow curvy loop of a pool with jets in it that propel tubes around. It was really quite relaxing.

The two buffets were in the main building between the receptions; they were separate but connected. The food was good and varied. When we first arrived, the Beach Resort half was closed so everyone was in the Riviera Maya half. It wasn't a problem given the number of people there. The best part was when the resort(s) started filling up and they opened the other half, no one seemed to realize it and we went over there and had no line ups whatsoever.

There were several other restaurants on site and we typically ate breakfast and lunch at El Rancho as it was very close to our room and the pools where my kids made me hang out. The Bayou was also available for breakfast and lunch along with the main buffets.

There were several a la cartes on site, too. El Rancho and Bayou each turned into one in the evening. El Rancho was a steak house that served great food. We ate at the Bayou once, too, and the food there was amazing. We also tried out the Brazilian food at La Gira Rodizio and it was fantastic, too. We wanted to try the Japanese food at Ikebana but they charged an extra fee and I thought that was ridiculous at at all-inclusive. There were four other al la cartes availalbe, too.

One discovery that I'd wished we'd made earlier was the coffee shop; they served great drinks here and the atmosphere was wonderful.

The beach was a bit rough. The sand was nice and the view breathtaking but the beach is in a cove with several large rocks or I guess islands in it. The huge waves were broken well out from the shore but the place seemed pretty dangerous. I wouldn't let our kids (aged 8 & 10) in without their lifejackets and me right beside them. The flag was almost always red with occasional yellow ones. I doubt the resort owns a green flag.

There was snorkeling right in the bay and it was okay. There were plenty of fish to see and they even came right up into the shallow water to be fed throughout the day by guest who'd snatched bananas and bread from the restaurants. At times, it was a feeding frenzy with fish thick at your feet literally jumping out of the water to get food.

The snorkelling at Akumal Beach is way better and only a 10 minute cab ride away (or you could grab the collectivo). There are sea turtles there and tons of fish. If you go, don't bother with the guide. Keep your ears open and you'll know where to go to find the turtles.

Playa del Carmen is only a 20 minute cab ride the other way and it's a pretty cool place to visit, too. You'd be crazy not to go. There are no beach vendors at the Sirenis (although they have a bit of a market twice a week in the theatre) so Playa is likely your best bet for some deals.

The entertainment was always awful. I don't know why resorts always try do put on shows. They never turn out well.

The resort uses alcohol out of the dispensers where pop usually flows. The liquor in these is watered down horrendously. If they've got a bottle of what you're looking for, ask for the bartender to use that instead.

Overall, this resort was very nice. There were lots of places on site to hang out that were slightly different that where you were the day before. The kids loved the Lazy River and the ice cream shop. The food was good and plentiful and the coffee that the Coffee Shop was fantastic.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
15 Thank shabadoux

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,738)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Terrebonne, Canada
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Our first time in Mexico... there were 6 of us (my husband and I, my 19 and 16 year old daughters with a friend and my brother in law) Very friendly staff... Very good animation at the pool (can play waterpolo and more), the beach is ok too but not to take long walks on and bring water shoes caus there are rocks in the water (dont go running into the water you'll hurt your feet) there is lots of shade if wanted and you can play beach volleyball. Rooms (ask for pool side the view of garden is not that good its more of a jungle look in many of them) are pretty big and nice with full bathroom (make sure the bathtub works caus ours didnt) with seperate sitting area. Try to reserve at the Japonese restaurant at your arrival caus it hard to get one there and its very good... The Bresilian restaurant is a must too... The food at the buffet is good unless your homemade meal freak.. lots of variety. Very good service everywhere you go (unless your unpleasant your self) Excursions are very nice ''go see something'' we went to see a CÉNOTÉ (its an underground cave that you can swim in) and went snorkeling ... got to see turtle, baracuda, octopus and more, and coral reefs. We were there for new year and it was simply beautifull and lots a fun.. a huge party. And the shows are simply unbeleivable... they did The lion king, Alice in wonderland and more and the costumes are so nice... all of it with a live band. Overall it was a very nice vacation and i would go back.

Room Tip: Get a second floor room it doesnt get that humidity smell and most of gardenview are more jungleview...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Trinity1715
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Jan 10th to 24th 2012. 2 adults plus 2 children (7 and 3 year old).

This is was our 2nd trip Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya (and the Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach – same hotel complex). Our first trip was approx 5 years ago when it had newly opened.

While we have been coming to Mexico for the last 10 years we wanted to return to this Hotel a second time as we thought the beach was beautiful and the snorkeling was good and very convenient. In addition we felt that the food (both buffet and specialty restaurants) had been excellent.
Unfortunately we were disappointing with our experience this time. It was not what we expected from a 5 star resort and a 5 star price.
Reasons as follows:
Food: the food served at the buffets was very bland, not hot and in all fairness quite basic. I would peg this at a 3 star level. Buffet food 5 years ago for example included international cheeses, one lobster night a week and a night or two of fresh cooked prawns. This trip you have to pay for a lobster dinner, there are no fresh cooked prawns and the cheese tray consisted of only basic Mexican cheese. Again you can find something to eat but it is at a 3 star level.
The specialty restaurants that we went to; Japanese, steak house, were good with the Cajun and Mediterranean being mediocre.

On this trip all 4 of my family at different times became sick with food poisoning.

Kids club. Very Basic. - Very nice staff that work there but absolutely no variety for the kids. For example it is the same program in the afternoon: lunch, feed ducks, go for ice cream, walk lazy river, watch movie, over at 4:00pm. The same thing every afternoon. The movie was even the same for three days straight!

Kids disco in main theater. Starts at 8:00pm. All the kids dance with a couple entertainers. Same 5 songs every night for 2 weeks. While the main show can be interesting for the kids it does not start until 9:30 pm. Even for the kid’s production Lion King. This is too late for the kids.

I would not recommend this resort if you are planning on using the kids club or want entertainment for your Children.

Other quick comments/reviews as follows:
• Food: - 3 Star level
• Grounds: Great - lush jungle.
• Buildings: large resort, beautiful architecture, long distances, slippery marble when wet.
• Rooms: showing some wear and tear but comfortable.
• Ocean view rooms: Be prepared to pay more if you want an ocean view room, even if you call ahead to request one.
• Pools and pool chairs: great pools- sufficient chairs if you are up by 8:00 am.
• Safety: We felt very safe at this resort.
• Beach: Outstanding.
• Snorkeling: Right off the beach, corral reef and lots of tropical fish - Great.
• Serving staff: Excellent.
• Pool side entertainment: Good
• Adult Nightly entertainment: Acceptable
• Kids club and entertainment: Poor.

Overall with all of the resort choices that exist in Mexico and the Mexican Riviera, at this price point and sold as a 4.5 to 5 star level of quality, we would not come back here again or recommend this resort.

One very important thing to consider: this is a Spanish run Hotel; Managed by Spaniards so don’t blame the Mexican staff. We found the Mexican staff to be very friendly, courteous and attentive, excellent in our opinion.

A final note: in discussion with other travelers we found that a number of people we talked to at the resort had similar feelings about their stay as I have expressed in this review.

Good Luck.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms will cost you more money.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
14 Thank DwaB
Toronto
Reviewed 8 February 2012

We spent one week at the GSRM Jan 24-31st and had a blast! Here is a brief overview with pros and cons we encountered.

Check-in: Was quick and informative. They give you a map that helps a lot, especially because the resort is HUGE and seems so confusing at first. They do their best to accommodate but cannot please everyone. I did email ahead to let them know we were celebrating a birthday and a wedding anniversary but it was never acknowledged. Not that we should EXPECT a bottle of champagne or anything, but it would have been a nice surprise for my boyfriend and friends.

Resort: HUGE, clean, great service. If you do not like to walk, you will have trouble here. They do have shuttles but we had trouble using them sometimes as we were told they were only for VIP guests. It was a little frustrating but they do offer the service to anyone going to the disco or spa, which are really far from everything.

Room: huge, clean and the most amazing jacuzzi bathtub ive ever had the pleasure of "owning" for a week! Yes it takes a little while to fill - but it's worth it! TIP: bring some bubble bath. The jets double the bubbles! No problems with the bed, I found it quite comfy. It was a little hard to get the beer restocked in the fridge though. and if you want new water, hide the old bottle or take it with you! If there's any left they won't give you a new one.

Food: The good stuff was REALLY good. The bad stuff was pretty darn bad. This has been my experience with all all-inclusive resorts. But there is SO much of it, that you will find something you like!!! Cajun and Japanese a la cartes were our favourite. If you go to the Mexican one, order the fish! Room service was disappointing but the ham pizza was really good! Ice cream bar was fantastic, beach bar was fun - they had a cooking class on the beach and have surprise bbqs sometimes. they made an excellent paella one day.
They do serve breakfast at the two pool snack bars as well as the main buffet so that's handy if you don't make it there by 10am.

Bars & Waitstaff: great service! The girls on the beach work their butts off so tip them well. They are always happy if you remember their names. When the Disco is not open there is usually a party at the Beach Bar – they don’t tell you this!!! The staff I asked (concierge & front desk) about the beach parties never seemed to know about them, and the beach bar themselves told us there would be one that night and there wasn’t. So I think communication at the resort could use some improvement, but if you happen to stumble upon this one night, they are a lot of fun.

Spa: I had the deluxe pedicure which was not worth $70 so I wouldn’t recommend it but they have a TON of services that I wish I was able to get to!! Look through the big Spa book that’s in your room ;)

Lazy River: so fun!! There was never a long wait for the inner tubes, so don’t feel you need to bring your own. DO bring your own snorkel gear though!

BEACH: yes it’s a little rocky but we read this in advance and brought water shoes. Problem solved. I’m used to smoother, fine sand beaches so I was a little worried about this aspect. But this beach is still beautiful, and has many parts! If you keep walking towards the Mayan ruin and go a little past it, the beach becomes nicer and less crowded. I loved this beach because it was different than what I’m used to. When I look back at photos I will always recognize which beach this was. HOWEVER if you are like me and still prefer the pristine smooth beaches, VISIT TULUM. The beach there is unreal. Also visit Akumal beach and swim with the sea turtles.

Catamaran Tour: I cannot say enough amazing things about the Robinson Crusoe tour run out of the Akumal Dive Shop. The best day of our whole trip and that’s saying something. Please google them and book. I also wrote a big review for them if you want to read more :) Look for Robinson Crusoe in my title.

that’s all I can think of for now… feel free to get in touch if you have any questions!

Room Tip: If you don't like walking, choose a room close to the lobby. If the beach is your thing, request...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
19 Thank JEps007
Bowling Green, KY
Reviewed 7 February 2012

As others have pointed out, deciding which "Grand Sirenis" is the right one to review is tricky - the "Hotel and Spa" is set a bit back from the ocean, and the "Resort and Spa" is more to the front, but, for all practical purposes, it is one big resort. They have independent reception areas, but, beyond that, the facilities are used jointly.

This was our 5th trip to the area, always at a different AI. I'm accustomed to seeing a range of positive and negative reviews for a resort, but I was more than a bit concerned at what seemed a vast disparity between reviews - some loving the resort and some lothing it. No AI is a perfect experience, this resort being no exception, but for those who hated it, I have to wonder if we were at the same place.

Facilities - the grounds were attractive and very well maintained. As others have noted, the walkways can be very slippy when wet, but we've seen that elsewhere. The room was large and very clean. The mini fridge always well stocked. (leaving a couple of dollars for the room attendant never hurts). We were provided plenty of towels. Our room had a frosted glass panel in the opening between the bedroom and bathroom. This may be a change made later, and I understand not all rooms have them. For those rooms, it would be a privacy issue. The bathtub was very, very slow to fill and the drain did not seal well (a washcloth helped). The shower, on the other hand, had good water pressure and an endless supply of hot water. The architecture of the buildings is a bit modernistic (or Mayan-influenced, if you prefer) - and it can be a bit loud in the room when people are talking in the central atrium, but one night when some late-returning guests were being loud, they were agressively "shushed" by security.

Beach - we spend as much time as we can on the beach, so it is a big deal for us. Here, the beach was something of a mixed bag. The good: well sheltered, so that even with big swell breaking out at the reef, relatively little surf hit the beach. Lots of fish - throw in some banana or bread, and you have instant company. Plenty of close-in coral for snorkeling. A good supply of palapas, so not much of the towel game going on. Families with kids seemed to congregate in one area, and those wanting a bit more quiet could go further down the beach. Great service from the beach staff. Say hello to Saret for us. The not-as-good: The beach is more of a cove, with formidable coral shores on both sides, so there is no opportunity to stroll down the beach away from the resort. The cove aspect also tends to concentrate people on the same stretch and in the water, so it feels rather crowded, no matter how many people are there. The sand has a variety of character - fine in some places and chunky in others - a pair of pool shoes is a good investment if you want to go out in the water. When the surf is too rough to rent the jetskis, as was the case a couple of days, they leave them parked on beach, obstructing the view and taking up some prime real estate.

Food - if you are looking for a foodie experience, you shouldn't go to an all-inclusive. The buffet was like every other buffet - cooking to the lowest common international denominator. It was okay. I didn't see any sanitary practices that bothered me. Out of six of us, one person got a moderate tummy issue. Travel with Cipro, Immodium and a nausea medication - if you are not prepared to deal with the possibility, you shouldn't complain about not feeling well. None of the specialty restaurants were either terrible or great. The Japanese restaurant was fine - if you've seen one hibachi restaurant, you've seen them all. The steak house was also fine - thin cuts of beef of less than the best grade, but this isnt' Ruth's Chris. The Italian restaurant had, hands down, the best prosciutto I've ever had. The grilled fish was good. The canneloni could have been Chef-boy-ar-dee. Bottom line - you won't rave over the food, but you won't go hungry, either.

Bars - for beer, it is Corona on tap and a bottled Corona product in the mini-fridge. The house white and red wines were drinkable, but not something you'd buy in the store. Mixed drinks were generally good. No two bartenders are alike, but if you ask for a bit more liquor they were happy to oblige. As with pretty much everywhere, you will get the house liquor unless you ask for a brand by name. The selection was limited, but they had at least one name-brand for most styles. Overall, I'd rate the bars as good.

Staff - if you are polite and friendly to folks, they are also friendly in return. We had great service from everyone we met. Absolutely no complaints in this department. They encourage the entertainment staff to mingle with the visitors and several times we had one ask if he or she could join us at lunch. We had some very interesting conversations with these people about their jobs and lives. Victoria, one of the show dancers, from Australia, was a charmer.

Bottom line - we enjoyed our stay and felt we got good value for our money.

Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
30 Thank FreakyTiki
Kentucky
Reviewed 7 February 2012

We vacationed at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Jan 28th - Feb 4th with two other couples.
Package was booked though Apple Vacations with a discounted early booking rate. We had our concerns since the price was so low; however, we quickly found the resort to be much better then some of the marginal and poor reviews on TA. Our rooms were in located in Building 18 "Muuyal". All rooms were very clean and well kept by the housekeeping staff.

Overall, the resort is very clean and well maintained. Workers daily on the grounds, beach and at the pools keeping them clean. Although the resort appears to be very large when you arrive, once you learn your way around and find the short cuts it is easy to get around.
Very friendly staff that loved to interact with guest. Several times members of anamaction team and performers joined us at our table for breakfast and lunch to get to know us. Check in was swift and efficient. Since we were traveling as a group we emailed room/building and À la Carte request to the Guest Services Manager Mr. Sanchez a week ahead of our arrival. Although he did not reply to our email, when we arrived we were very surprised to find he had made all of our arrangements as requested.

Food selection at the breakfast and lunch buffets were very good. Even if you are a picky eater, there were many choices. No one seemed to go away hungry. We were fortunate to dine at six of À la Cartes. Most notable was the La Gira Rodizio (Brazilian). It's a meat fest!! The Ikebana (Japanese) was fun and the the meal and show were very enjoyable. The lobby bars had top shelf liquors on request. Corona on tap throughout the resort. Barrilito bottles in the room fridge. BTW... Barrilito needs several limes to make it drinkable!

Beach bars and service staff were incredible. Very fast and eager to serve. Small tips ($1-2) are not expected, but go a long way and are very appreciated. If you are on the left side of the beach area, look for Saret in the pink hat for beach drink service . Make friends with her, tip her well and she will take very good care of you all week.

Be prepared if you plan to swim at the beach. Although there are sandy areas to swim, beach shoes are must if you plan to snorkel without fins. Bring your own snorkel gear if you can. Campmor.com has great deals on equipment with fast shipping.

The shows in the theater were some of the best we have ever seen at a resort. Very well done productions with very talented staff.

If anyone was having a bad time at this resort, we never noticed. Lots of smiling faces and happy people having a great time. The lobby bars were always full before dinners and there were always some form of entertainment and specialty drinks being served. Great place to meet and people and enjoy the evenings.

Feel free to message me on TripAdvisor if you have specific questions.

Room Tip: Building 18 "Muuyal" is very convenient to the pools, beach and lobby area. Very handic...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
19 Thank kelomaki
Timmins, Canada
Reviewed 6 February 2012

My husband and I traveled to the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya on January 28 to Feb 5. We're in our early to mid-thirties. The reason why we chose this resort was the reviews on snorkeling. We were not disappointed.

Snorkeling (5 stars): This was definitely what we were expecting and beyond. We weren't able to go every day because the water was choppy in close to the beach and out on the far reef, But when we did go, we were always awed at what we saw. We saw a sea turtle, sting rays, octopus, squid, barracudas and lot's of tropical fish. You don't need to swim far to see any of this. It was amazing!

Beach (5 stars): The main beach is nice but rocky. Bring water shoes. When facing the water, the beach to the left is a lot nicer for swimming and quieter because children's activities are held there. Sand is soft and the water not as rough. The only thing is that it's away from beach food bar, but there are servers there. The water is not dirty. I don't know where some reviewers got this idea. It's murky because the waves bring up sediment and corral sand. I'm sure they didn't go in past their knees.

Pools (5 stars): We went to the Riviera Maya pool a few times. Lot's of activities and drinks. It can get loud, so there's another large quiet pool in the middle of the resort. Anywhere you go on this resort, chairs are not abundant so get there early for a good seat. The pool on the Mayan Beach side is nice as well.

Grounds (5 stars): Another thing we loved about this resort is the abundance of wildlife you will see. Saw some wild raccoons, lot's of birds, some kind of rodent that kinda looked like a cat/rabbit (cute), iguanas and little geckos. So cute. The vegetation is nicely maintained, but it doesn't look too manicured. You could imagine yourself in the jungle when walking through some of the areas at the hotel, which is after all where the hotel is.

Food (4 stars): The food at this resort is abundant. You'll never go hungry. My husband and I preferred the breakfast and lunch buffets at the pool side because they were quieter. There was less selection, but it was much more appetizing. We reserved three a-la-cartes. We ate at the Steakhouse, the Brazilian and the Japanese. The Steakhouse was decent. Nothing really stood out. The Brazilian was awesome. This was our favourite. However, the Japanese was not that good in our opinion but others we talked to liked it so you will have to see for yourself. We weren't feeling the greatest after eating at the Japanese and this was the only time so might have skewed our opinion. Generally, the food here was not fresh at all. The ice cream bar is really nice and so is the coffee bar. Great for kids and adults.

Rooms and buildings (4 stars): Our room was nice, but it looked a little tired. Scuffed paint, faded furniture and bedding. However, the staff clean it well everyday. Went to visit people on the Mayan Beach side, which was noticeably less run down. Apparently it is a couple of years newer on that side. Our opinion is that this hotel in general was built too quickly and sloppy workmanship is everywhere, explaining most of the problems people talk about. With all of that said, Cleaning and Maintenance staff are everywhere.

Service (5 stars): The staff here are great. They work really hard and take pride in what they do. They were always warm and making sure our needs were met. Let's all face it, a little tipping goes a long way if you want a drink put in your hand every time you finish a drink or the little extras that make your room seem specially decorated. Seems like the most demanding people have the hardest time parting with a dollar bill.

Entertainment/disco (4 stars): The entertainment was good. The shows were good and you can tell that the staff take their craft seriously and are having genuine fun. This is our 2nd all inclusive experience and the entertainment at this resort was more than acceptable and the theater was at capacity every night.The Cabaret it's not. The disco was fun when there were people there. The beach parties were a lot of fun as well. I saw people of all ages make their way out there for a good time.

Some things that can be improved: There were no hand sanitizing stations anywhere. Make sure to bring some. Also, the coffee they had in the room was no good. Very weak if you need that first cup.

To sum up, do book this hotel if you want a fair value for your money, good snorkeling, decent food, friendly staff and guests, and lot's of things to do for all ages including children. Do not book this hotel if you are expecting the grandest buildings and rooms, gourmet fine-dining, don't like walking around too much, or want to rub shoulders with the Aristocracy. You will be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
23 Thank Binky M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
8.6 km away
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#77 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,359 reviews

Been to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!