“gran sirenis riviera maya hotel and spa”

Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
ontario
“gran sirenis riviera maya hotel and spa”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

It rained allot and the tiles in the walkways were very slippery.
It is a very large hotel and is quite a drive to Playa de Carmen.
28 bucks american
The specialty restaurants were excellant.
We found the large loafs of bread you cut yourself excellant and had just that in the morning with coffee.
The sheets on the bed were a disappointment, not the crisp white of other hotels kind of dull in color.
The cappicino at the bar were excellant.
Lots of places to walk and take pictures.
Lots of sandy beach and people scuba diving and feeding the fish.
I would not go again because very far from playa del carmen.
Otherwise good, nice ocean to swin in.
Have fun.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,738)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
NE UK
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Having just returned from there, I must add my comments and opinions (judging by the the negative ones that are uploaded--makes me think they couldn't of been at the same place)
This is not to say the place is perfect..perfection comes at an extremely high price IE: you are dead and have gone to heaven... the place is great..large to say the least, but their attempt at a Mayan pyramid based architecture is commendable.

We found the staff way above average, friendly and helpful. This goes for everyone from the "Captain" to the pool dude cleaning yesterdays detritus from the pool filters.
Pools... very clean and huge...can get a bit rowdy near the swim up bars, but hey, it AI..always gonna be a few hoo haa's, yee haa's etc, but generally by 6pm, they be gone.We spent a load of our time nr or in the beach bar...good snacks and the boys and girls behind the bar and walking the beach were excellent (Natividad looked after the "bambino's" well)

The beach...granted it is not miles of endless white sand, but it was a cosy calm bay with clear water. Do get some "rock-hopper" shoes as the entry into the sea has got rocky parts which are harsh on bare feet. Once you have the protection, you enjoy it. It is true that there may be a shortage of beach loungers, but generally, if you get there before 9am, you should still have a chance of getting a couple.

Food..... massive selection and choice.. I truly don't know what some reviewers are wanting??? We ate a-la-carte most nights and did most of them..outstanding for food was the Mediterranean with Yessica as the chef...awesome, the most fun was at the Mexican..we had such a good time on both occasions we went., Not to say the rest were poor, but the next one would be the Cajun and Japanese, followed by the Steakhouse (el Rancho) and finally the Brazillian ( Maybe we just caught them on an off night. If the management are reading this, please give Hugo (Boss) a big pat on the back, his leadership in the Mexican and the breakfast at the Cajun was most awesome. He can then pat his staff on the back for a job well done.

Bars.... Well, what can I say... the Mezcal lobby bar was outstanding, the staff there were attentive, accommodating and very friendly. We spent every night there for pre- and post- dinner drinks as the other lobby bard was busy, congested and very loud. I did manage to drink the full colours of the rainbow and did my "sunrises" and "sunsets" with tequilas. There is a cocktail of the day but my favoutite had to be the "Iquana", which the bar staff upgraded to "Super Iquana" and the onto the "GODZILLA"...good job.

I went there to play a bit of golf and be warned, the closest course is a new one at Bahia Principe. It is very good, but expect to pay $230 before 1:30pm. $130 after that. The other course within in reasonable travelling time is the one at Playacar (30min-40 min, depending on how many hotels the included transfer bus had to stop at. We got picked up at 5:30am for our 6:40 tee-time) with an earlier green Fee of $170 before 7am (We were picked. I expect the course to be in better condition, but following some rain the fairways were soaking and in some places your feet would sink ankle deep into them. Obviously no roll on them and preferred lies had to be invoked as you had to dig your ball out of the fairways and place, sometimes 20 yd away.

On the negative side, xfer time from the airport was was totally false. Thomson First Choice brochure 45min, reality, nrly 3hrs. This is because the driver and escort have this plan where the largest drop off numbers go 1st, irrespective of their location as this will give them the most tips. Also beware of booking an excursion as the operator will tell you 45 min, but this will will probably be more like 2-3hrs. eg: I went horse riding with a friend and we got picked up from the hotel at 1pm and arrived back at the hotel at 7:30pm..all for 1hrs horse ride!!!! $77 and all we got for snacks was corn chips, 2 dips and a soft drink...ripped off methinks. (This activity was organised by Trans-something in the lobby and took place at Puerto Morelos.

All in all, a great place to go for the price we paid.Met some great people and had a very good time

Room Tip: Get above ground level as reports seem to indicate dampness on ground floors(Friends were on ground...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Krummo
toronto, ontario
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We are in our early 50's and this is our 28th all inclusive holiday.
I'll begin with the positive aspects of the resort.
The staff were wonderful;, friendly & very hard working. We only encountered one snarly guy in the el Rancho dining room.
The lazy river was simply brilliant. The grounds were beautiful & well kept.
When you get tired of the same old offerings at the lunch buffet slip over to the spa & have
a tasty, relaxing meal with a great view.
The food for the most part was pretty good. It is hard to please all of the people all of the time.
The snorkeling off the beach was really good. Bring your water shoes. It is rocky getting in.
The small Mayan ruin at the beach was fascinating. Too bad there was no information to inform us about it.
Our room was spacious & clean.
We loved walking through the "jungle" area. Really pretty.

Now for the not so positives.
The sheer size of the place! It is a behemoth. If you have mobility issues this may not be the place for you. I love to walk but even I got tired & fed up. You can't see the ocean from most of the resort so I found it impossible to get my bearings.
The floors are incredibly slippery! It rained most of the time were there so the walkways were
always wet. I am quite nimble but I did manage to slip a couple of times. Maybe some rubber mats would help? They would needs miles of them!
There are two nearly identical lobbies. Took a few days to realize this. The noise in the lobby bars is deafening. A quiet drink at the lobby bar? Forget it.

Finally the negatives.
The lack of privacy in the hotel room bathroom. Who designs a bathroom with no privacy?
(I am referring to the wide cracks in the "window")
Check in was rather disorganized. Most hotels put on the bracelets & take your Visa # on the bus on the way to the resort. Much better.
Too many of the beach lounger were saggy & broken. When they are worn out they should be replaced. Simple as that. It is a beach resort.
We had to leave for the airport at 6;15 am. The common area of our building was in complete darkness. Good thing we always bring a flashlight. What about older guests struggling in the dark?
There was no breakfast for the guests leaving early. Not a huge deal but we did pay for 7 days.
Grab some bananas off the evening buffet if you have an early check out.

Att: scuba divers: There is a well run dive shop. it offers pretty good diving just a short boat ride off the beach. Saw a 10 ft. harmless shark. The dive shop is not part of the resort.

Over all the resort is about what we expected for the money we paid.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank hkfromerin
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Very good resort and very friendly staff! Everything is clean. The only negative point is the beach which is small and the chairs are old so sometimes it's not confortable. But there are waiters for the drinks, you don't have to move at all if you wish...

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Diane B
Douvaine, France
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Just got back from a 14 night stay at the Grand Sirenis, making it our 2nd stay in Mexico but first time with the children who are 9 and 8 years old.

The resort is huge with beautiful gardens and possibly the best beach we've been on in Mexico. Overall we had a great holiday and it was an adventure for our kids who have never travelled to a resort like this before. Specifically our feedback is as follows:

Standard of Rooms:

For a 5* Resort I would say this was one of the most disappointing aspects of our stay. Having stayed at many 5* locations I would say the quality of the rooms was average at best. Specifically, we were sharing with 2 children and as such the two beds in the room were very small (no bigger than 3/4 size) and weren't very comfortable to sleep in. Additionally, the room smelt stale when we arrived and there was a funny smell coming from the toilet which gave the impression it just wasn't very clean. The hot tub in the room was also difficult to get to function correctly as the controls were damaged.

None of this spoilt our holiday and the room was fine overall it just didn't meet our expectations of what I've had in other 5* resorts.

Kids Club:

Pamela and Rudolpho run the kids club and they do a great job of it. The kids club was a key part of our holiday as we wanted our girls to meet other children and to also get involved in the various activities. I can say we weren't disappointed and neither were our girls who had a great time.

Pamela is great with the kids as she has a very engaging friendly style and we were very happy with the service. Our youngest daughter developed a great relationship with Pamela and I know that she will miss seeing her.

Pamela also organised evening disco with the kids which our eldest daughter loved and was great fun.

Sometimes it is difficult to get the balance right for all children and our kids were sometimes disappointed that they didn't get to do the things which were planned on the weekly timetable. This wasn't really a big deal in the end but I think our kids would have liked a little more structure to the activities.

Overall, this is a great kids club and I would highly recommend it mostly to the credit of Pamela who was super!

Food, Drink, Choice of Restaurants etc:

There are two buffets (serving same food!) and 7 restaurants at the resort all of which offer good choice and quality of food. The best restaurants are the Japanese and the Brazilian where the quality of food was exceptional.

Level of service is very high. All the waiters are friendly and can't do enough to help. We had one waiter called Hipolito at the buffet restaurant who was exceptional - don't think my glass was ever empty :-)

The reservation system for the restaurants needs some improvement in our view. It was only possible to visit the restaurants 3 times per week and they had to be booked in advance often with nothing available for 2-3 days so if you're not organised likely to miss out on the best restaurants. Equally there are only two sittings in the restaurants at either 8 or 8.30 and they're never more than 50% booked at any time. This wasn't an issue for us but it felt a bit restrictive and we would have liked to have gone back to the Japanese which was simply fab!

Overall the quality and choice of the food was impressive. The kids loved the ice cream parlour, there is a coffee shop and a snack bar on the beach serving bbq style food. The kids also loved the choice of drinks available as they had a wide range of non alcholic cocktails each day.

Daily Entertainment:

The Entertainment Team are a real credit to the resort. Every day there were activities and the team were exceptionally friendly, funny and good fun to be around. Each day you can get involved in water polo, volleyball, drinking games, dancing etc etc....there is really no shortage of daily entertainment and we really enjoyed this aspect to our holiday.

The converse to this is that 2 of the pools tend to be fairly noisy each day so if you want peace and quiet better off going to the main pool.

One of the main guys at our pool area was Beto. He was relentless at trying to get people involved in the activities, was great fun to be with / around. My youngest daughter who is 7 loved him and I know she will miss him! He was great with the kids, couldn't ask for more really - very impressed!

Evening Entertainment:

Each evening the team put on a show at 9.30pm. Overall our view was that it was generally poor. Reasons for this are:

- The shows are run in the Theatre which must hold a few hundred seats (its huge). Problem was at best it was only ever 1/3 full and it lacked atmosphere which I think took something away from what the team were trying to achieve.

- The choice of shows needs some work in our view. They just weren't that interesting or engaging so we lost interest very quickly. For example the Alice in Wonderland show was dull and the sound quality was particularly poor.

In some respects I think the team are trying to hard and they need to go back to the basics a bit more. For us more shows on Mexican culture etc would have been better. I didn't go to Mexico to see renditions of the Lion King, Broadway, Chicago etc....they simply didn't work for us. Equally they were on quite late so difficult to keep the kids up that late.

The exception to this was the "mime show" the team did towards the end of our stay. Having got to know quite a few of the entertainment team at this time (as it was towards the end of our stay). It was very funny and we really enjoyed it. The kids also loved it and can't remember last time I heard them laugh so much...

Facilities:

Overall the facilities are excellent. The pools are lovely, spacious offering choice each day for where we wanted to hang out. The sun loungers are good and never had any issues in getting a bed etc. Can't really fault anything!

The kids loved the "lazy river" sitting on a tube going around the resort all day. This is a great feature for the kids who made full use of it.

We didn't use the dive centre so can't really comment. There are some watersport activities on the beach but would say this is fairly limited to some jet skis, canoes etc. No sailing of any kind!

There are two tennis courts - which look old and need refurbishing. There is also a 5 a side football pitch adjacent to them. There are daily sports activities at the Sports Centre however we didn't partake in most of them. You can also do a cycle tour from the centre however it looked pretty dull so we gave it a miss.....overall I think the Sports Centre is lacking its potential and more needs to be done to get people involved, interested in the activities available.

There is a Spa at the resort and a good gym - one of the best resort gym's we have used. Staff at the Spa are excellent ans we made use of the water treatment they had on offer which was great fun. The facilities at the Spa are excellent and we'd highly recommend it. My only criticism is that it can be a bit functional, like a production line of people in getting massages etc etc. Not a big deal but certainly had this feeling when we were there.

Choice of Bars etc:

This for us was a bit of a let down. For drinking in the evening the only real option outside of the restaurants is to socialise in the lobby bas of which there are two. The problem with this is that the lobby area lacks any real atmosphere as they're so vast.

What I think the resort lacks is a beach venue for a few drinks at the end of each day where people can mingle etc. They do have a beach party once a week which was great and they need to do more events like this because the resort likes a bit of soul in the evenings.

Overall, we had a great time in Mexcio but I wouldn't go back to the Grand Sirenis. It was fantastic for the kids but just lacked a bit of quality and didn't meet some of our expectations. I would rate it more as a 4* Resort. If you plan to go with kids then you can't really go wrong but I would never go here as a couple or on my own......way too dull in the evenings!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mike G
Reviewed 21 January 2014

This review is from our trip there in May 2012 and I will be brief, as time has dulled all but our more memorable (pleasing) experiences of the resort.

The lazy river is a gem. I cannot state this enough - my friends and I made abundant use of this delightful feature and it is something to which I compared other resorts at which we stayed (Grand Sunset Princess) and plan to stay (Grand Bahia Principe Tulum).

The restaurants were, on the hole, exquisite and entertaining. I still get the meat sweats when I dream of the "La Gira Rodizio" Brazilian restaurant, my favorite by far - a cut above, to pun.

The architecture of the place is truly grand. Large open air lobbies. Each building reminding me of a science fiction ship with different decks (levels). Our second floor room with balcony was the perfect retreat after too much rum and sun, free from the habitual crawly things that I have experienced at other ground-floor dwellings.

The feel of the place is modern, yet reclusive. There is a sizable walk from the main lobbies to the rooms, but you can catch a lift if you need. The pools weave their way through tropical foliage along the way, emptying out in random yet tranquil pockets.

The juice bars were fantastic, and a welcome healthy reprieve from the abuse of indulgence. The coffee bars were even better, and before long my coffees were as in my dreams; Irish.

If I have one complaint about the resort it would be the lack-lustre beach. Fine for a stroll and decent enough for snorkeling, but really not the long stretch of soft sand I'd hoped for. Still, it being a cove provided small shelter from the strong winds that blasted the shoreline while we were there.

Compared to the Grand Sunset, the features at Sirenis exceeded that which we experienced. However, in terms of layout and overall zen feeling (something I seek at these places), the Sunset's promenade, many pools, small lagoons, and open-air courtyard made for a more peaceable experience (at the expense of the great food, lazy river and juice bars at Sirenis).

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pennythoughtsNL
Canada
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Lobby is huge and impressive. Very clean inside and out. Grounds are very well kept. Pools are great and lazy river great for kids. Beach is beautiful - we fed fish in a foot of water. Crabs in the rocks. Pelican came within feet of us looking for fish. Water is crystal clear although was some swell at times. Food was top notch. Buffets were excellent in there assortment of different food. Papaya was amazing, even has cactus pears one day. Restaurants were also very good. Brazilian was my favourite (man vs meat) for the meat lover - 7 types of meat served on a sword. Coffee house on site was also amazing serving coffee with a shot if you desire, spanish coffee was too die for. Ice Cream shop by beach hotel had kids happy. Bars were all good - beach, pool and lobby. Special shout out to Miguel and Clementino who make the best Mojito's at lobby bar. Kids were getting virgin daquari's all week. Beach grill served burgers and fries also good for the kids. Had VIP access to wifi. Pool (8ball) room was busy. Tiled floors can be slick when wet. Room we had was small but could sleep 6, we were 2 adults and 2 kids. Only real complaint was that the bathroom only has glass partition with gaps to rest of unit making for a lack of privacy. Also when you have early riser the lights and noise wake up everyone else. Mini fridge in room was convenient although had to ask maid for beer. Maid service was very good. Was a little disappointed with the kids club. We were able to leave our 6 yr old there and have some alone time which was great. However the two reps told the kids they would do certain activities and did not, seemed very lazy. The first day the crew had dressed as pirates and had a treasure hunt all over the beach with the kids which was awesome. Not sure what happened to those two pirates, maybe they sailed off? LOL Shows they put on in the theatre were very good. Had a free hydro spa visit which was great. Hot tub was good and steam rooms are amazing. We did go to a one hour presentation...this is of course a mexican hour which is 4 canadian hours in conversion. Although long and we saw many faces trying to sell timeshare at an ever dropping price we still had a good time seeing some of their premium units. Ernesto was our personal concierge and he was super super super nice and not only gave us some great information, but also was very down to earth and friendly. We went to Sirenis in DR last year and were very disappointed and I was very sick for days with stomach issues from something I ate or drank. Obviously I was a little wary to travel to another Sirenis property in Mayan but let me put that to rest. This resort is fantastic. Iguana's are sunbathing everywhere, never a problem with them or with getting a beach or pool side chair. Hotel said they were full for New Years but it never felt crowded. Big property and took 3 days before we did not get lost but everywhere is walkable and not a hike. Shuttle cars travel between buildings too if you have issues with walking. We have been to many other hotels in Mexico and Caribbean and this is one of the best. Maybe only Sandals would compare. I am sure you will have a great time here. I cannot wait to go back. Hopefully sooner than later. Make sure to say Ola to Ernesto, Miguel and Clementino.

Room Tip: Offered beach side room for an extra 370 but declined. We were in 17 building which was close to poo...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank red86zed
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
8.6 km away
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#77 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,362 reviews

Been to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!